ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone been to Duke’s campus?

I used to have a friend that went to Duke when I lived in WV/VA, we had both just graduated. She was okay looking, I met some of her friends, less than stellar. Nice people tho

But then you go to Bama, Clemson, UGA, USC, etc that’s where it’s at
All the girls down there love the YMCA song. Especially doing the first letter.

Is Duke’s campus exactly what you would expect it to be?

I just looked through the Cooper Flagg post a bit and most everyone seems pretty certain that if he goes to college, it’ll be Duke.

I didn’t come from top 5% wealth or really anything like that, but I’m white, my family was in decent financial shape. I excelled in academics. I wasn’t much of an athlete, but I was a pretty solid fencer until the program fell apart. I’m getting off track…

I started college at CCU and ended at UK and can honestly say that as much as I love Kentucky sports; I hated every minute of attending classes at UK. Classes too large, campus too large, buildings very hit or miss, teachers definitely hit or miss. The point is, coming from a somewhat privileged, white background with emphasis on academics…if I have the choice to go to UK for free or Duke for free…I’m going to Duke. I think that’s a reality we have to accept as UK sports fans.

Matt Jones agrees with you 100% and Ryan Lemond agrees with Matt 150%.

He went to Duke Law School and never considered UK Law

He can tell you everything about the philosophy of law and theory of law, but if you need to get out of jail, you better hire a UK Law graduate.
Duke Law is good training for selling mattresses and chicken wings but not for actual lawyering

Matt Jones agrees with you 100% and Ryan Lemond agrees with Matt 150%.

He went to Duke Law School and never considered UK Law

He can tell you everything about the philosophy of law and theory of law, but if you need to get out of jail, you better hire a UK Law graduate.
Duke Law is good training for selling mattresses and chicken wings but not for actual lawyering
Um, yeah sure....

Employment of lawyers is expected to grow 10% over the next decade, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Even so, law students often struggle to find a job after graduation that truly validates the significant time and expense they invested into their education.
U.S. News' Best Law Schools rankings are designed to help. Nearly 60% of the rankings methodology evaluated institutions on their successful placement of graduates. The remainder is a combination of academic metrics about faculty resources, the achievements of entering students, and opinions by law schools, lawyers and judges on overall program quality.

And here are the rankings.

Duke would be difficult to turn down if you were the upper middle class private academy educated most likely white kid. The campus is more collegiate than anything UK can offer. And NOW....... students from North Carolina who's parents earn less than $150,000 per year can get a tuition waiver and attend Duke for no tuition charge.

The catch is that in all of North Carolina there might be a half-dozen kids who's parents earn less than $150,000 per year and kids who posess the academic credentials to be accepted at Duke.

Disclaimer 1) The acceptance standards are different if you are a top prospect athlete.

Disclaimer 2) I am a retired high school counselor. In 29 years working at three different high schools in this state, I NEVER had one of my students accepted at Duke. Not one time. Chapel Hill - yes. UK - yes. UT - yes. Notre Dame - yes. Penn - yes. Clemson - yes. South Carolina - yes. MIT - yes. Yale - yes. Southern California - yes. Arizona State - yes. Wake Forest - yes. Georgia Tech - yes. Many others - yes.

But not a single one at Duke.
That’s because at Duke you have to be a POC, a Minority, or Uber Rich and smart to get accepted.

I just looked through the Cooper Flagg post a bit and most everyone seems pretty certain that if he goes to college, it’ll be Duke.

I didn’t come from top 5% wealth or really anything like that, but I’m white, my family was in decent financial shape. I excelled in academics. I wasn’t much of an athlete, but I was a pretty solid fencer until the program fell apart. I’m getting off track…

I started college at CCU and ended at UK and can honestly say that as much as I love Kentucky sports; I hated every minute of attending classes at UK. Classes too large, campus too large, buildings very hit or miss, teachers definitely hit or miss. The point is, coming from a somewhat privileged, white background with emphasis on academics…if I have the choice to go to UK for free or Duke for free…I’m going to Duke. I think that’s a reality we have to accept as UK sports fans.
I went there when I lived in Charlotte. Easy directions, Go south til you smell it and east til you step in it!!

The catch is that in all of North Carolina there might be a half-dozen kids who's parents earn less than $150,000 per year and kids who posess the academic credentials to be accepted at Duke.
Thing is that the average ACT and SAT score of instate students at both UNC and Duke are in the same 21-24 range that is at most public universities. The increased academic prestige is that they only accept top of the line out of state students that have 25+ scores and often in the top 10%.

So the instate kids are actually pretty on par w any other large state institution in the ACC/B10/SEC/B12/p12

Reactions: Fox2monk
Flagg is at Duke today. Kind of an under the radar visit. It seemed to come out of nowhere. We might hear something soon.
These are the kinds of commitments Duke somehow seems to get too. Never have to sweat it out or be a hat on the table. Wrap it up early after the Nike money comes in and promises are made. This one will likely be over soon with no real competition. Kid should just go pro though.

Reactions: drawing_dead
I'd rather have a rabid dog suffering from worms and severe diarrhea fart directly on my forehead while I'm eating spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, than to step foot on the Puke campus.

Hasn't happened, won't ever happen.

Reactions: Catman100
What did you think of the Golf Course?
I like it a lot. My old company had a twilight (walking 9 holes, but you could keep playing till dark) golf league there (was only $22). It’s an older course. It’s also where I got my hole-in-one. It’s better than UNC course. But Duke is expensive as F*** (like $150 on weekend). NC St has the best all-around course in the area.

Reactions: Blueheart32
I can't believe that the admission requirements are greater at Duke than MIT, Yale, or even Georgia Tech.

If I picked a college by the physical campus, I'd go to Pepperdine or Stanford
I had Stanford University Pension Fund as a long term client and the campus, surrounding hills, and Palo Alto created an incredible combination for frequent visits

The views from Pepperdine are extraordinary but I don't particularly love the campus. That said Malibu has a nice beach if you can access it.

Not true at all. Lots of smart kids here. The #1 ranked public school in the nation is in Durham (Durham Math and Science) My girlfriend’s son went there about 10 years ago.

Reactions: Blueheart32
I'd rather have a rabid dog suffering from worms and severe diarrhea fart directly on my forehead while I'm eating spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, than to step foot on the Puke campus.

Hasn't happened, won't ever happen.
I don't, no, I KNOW there is nowhere in this country I would want a rabid dog suffering from worms and severe diarrhea fart directly on my forehead while I'm eating spaghetti and meatballs for dinner rather than me walk onto those grounds. Damn man, that's some unhealthy hatred you have going on there!!

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
Kind of an odd, of two minds post, I did walk the Duke campus one time 20 years ago when I was there to do a presentation. I gotta say, looks-wise, UK a 5 or 6 and Duke a 9 or 10. and I walked right in the open door of Cameron smack dab in the middle of campus in the middle of a practice and it was like Hoosiers Movie final champion game vibe, old and big but not modern corporate (like rupp) and the way they surround the court with real students is enviable. Having said all that, F__k Duke.

I’ve been to both Duke & UNC’s campuses. We played at UNC when I was in college. We made a trip out of it and hung around for 3 days in the area. We toured both campuses. One night we had free time and snuck off to a club in Durham. Talked a manager in to taking us back to Duke and we all pissed on the sign I think was near Chapel Drive. UNC had prettier girls and the only girls I met from Duke were either Indonesian or Asian. Not like the hot Indian or Asian girls, but the ones with too much body hair. lol Met a freshman Shavlik Randolf, who was a nice guy and stopped us in a mall to talk to guys to our team.

...And NOW....... students from North Carolina who's parents earn less than $150,000 per year can get a tuition waiver and attend Duke for no tuition charge.
The tuition waiver deal is also extended to South Carolina students I believe.

Re: the OP - I visited their campus when I was in college in the 80s and we played them in rugby. Very pretty self-contained gothic campus as I recall. As far campus style, it reminds me a little of U of Richmond (VA) except UR makes more use of red brick.

Through Navy and family...I'm pretty well acquainted with a fair number of their grads. No doubt it is an ivy league/service academy level of difficulty gaining acceptance. Academically, you could argue it is the best school in the south...one of the best in the country. Decent $12B endowment (Harvard tops the list at $53B), lower number of undergrad vs grad students at 7K vs 10K. Low student to professor ratio that you would expect at a private school. Super charged connections when you hit the workforce (on par with other Gucci private schools).

IMO: Garden variety 5-star BB players won't care much either way about the school's grounds and academic reputation, but good BB players who are kids of professionals (dr's, lawyers, etc) could be brand-motivated a little when it comes college selection.

To me, Duke is really a private school anomaly when it comes to big time CBB. Counterpart private schools have a tougher time finding BB championship success (GT, Wake, Stanford, Vandy, Notre Dame, Rice, So Cal). Villanova and Baylor are exceptions. Could be Duke down checks to the normal private-school pack when the Coach K mojo is put further in the rear view. Time will tell.

GBB!

Reactions: EastLansingCat

Here's the question.....would you rather date a Kentucky gal or a pUKe gal??

Duke would be difficult to turn down if you were the upper middle class private academy educated most likely white kid. The campus is more collegiate than anything UK can offer. And NOW....... students from North Carolina who's parents earn less than $150,000 per year can get a tuition waiver and attend Duke for no tuition charge.

Disclaimer 1) The acceptance standards are different if you are a top prospect athlete.

Disclaimer 2) I am a retired high school counselor. In 29 years working at three different high schools in this state, I NEVER had one of my students accepted at Duke. Not one time. Chapel Hill - yes. UK - yes. UT - yes. Notre Dame - yes. Penn - yes. Clemson - yes. South Carolina - yes. MIT - yes. Yale - yes. Southern California - yes. Arizona State - yes. Wake Forest - yes. Georgia Tech - yes. Many others - yes.

But not a single one at Duke.

That’s because Duke is actually the safety school for New Jersey kids who can’t get into Princeton.

Durham is a dump. Look at the data. Lots of bad numbers. Very few southern people. Predominate northeast. No wonder so few native North Carolinians there, it is only located in North Carolina.

Lexington on the other had is a very desirable place to be. Look at the data.

When I went through the college search (ended up at Vandy) i had been accepted to both UNC and Duke and went on tours of each campus. ….The actual thing that swayed my decision to vandy was that Cameron Indoor was a high school gym dropped inside a church.
If you made your college choice among Vandy, UNC, and Duke because you didn’t like one school’s basketball arena, you are a moron.

If you made your college choice among Vandy, UNC, and Duke because you didn’t like one school’s basketball arena, you are a moron
Lol more reasons from that—from Missouri and Nashville is closer to home and a cooler place to live. All 3 are very good academically. But yeah, Duke fans are annoying enough so I chose not to listen to them for 4 years:)

Basketball recruiting now more than ever is about the individual. Especially star NBA bound talent. Where is it that xyz baller can go and be the show, play the style that best suits him.

No top baller gives a shit about campus, history/tradition, or academics when they're only going to be there for a bout 9 months.

That's even more the case now that they can make NIL money anywhere.

This kid by all accounts is generational, he knows it, all his people and inevitable circle of handlers know it. He nor they are interested in being a puzzle piece and watching a bunch of guards and transfers dribble around even if they have talent and pro potential. He isn't going to dance around the interior and screen or clear out for anyone.

He will go to whoever clears the deck for him essentially.

Reactions: DraftCat
Guy thinks the top .1% of basketball recruits are basing their college decision on Campus, building, and teacher quality along with class size LOL
Alex: I will take, something that no one has ever said to the OP?
What is...

you-think-little-doctor-strange.gif

UK is huge..... typically the smaller colleges have a better small college feel. WKU I went to my freshman year and loved it. You can walk to just about anywhere.

Kinda whiny.
I imagine you like Spalding in Caddyshack.

UK’s campus is terrific, welcoming and unpretentious. That’s what bugs you. You were your own problem. Fencing program fell apart?

Durham is a dump. Look at the data. Lots of bad numbers. Very few southern people. Predominate northeast. No wonder so few native North Carolinians there, it is only located in North Carolina.

Lexington on the other had is a very desirable place to be. Look at the data.
While Durham once was a nasty place, it is much better now. Yes there are lots of Northeasterners that have moved to Durham and the rest of “the Triangle”. That is because the region is one of the most desirable and fastest growing regions in the country. And I love Lexington too.

If you made your college choice among Vandy, UNC, and Duke because you didn’t like one school’s basketball arena, you are a moron.
True.
I told my son (he is a big UK fan, growing up 30min from both UNC and Duke) that he should not base his college choice on whether he likes (UK) their sports teams or not (Duke/UNC). And yes, I joined the UK Alumni Assoc so he could get scholarship help if he went to UK. But NC St (10-15min away) was the choice for him since he knew he wanted to do Engineering, and they have a top 10 Engineering program.

Because I was sprinkling in some of the mindset of the demographic. Fencing is a sport that you would associate with uppity people. And the white part…I mean that’s always a central talking point on this board when it comes to recruits that end up at Duke. I kind of feel the need to clear something up here in defense of myself. Despite my inherently gifted brain, and my cushier childhood, I didn’t succeed in life by American standards. My family had a ton of intelligence on both sides, but also a ton of significant mental health issues. I completely went off the rails in my 20s and have spent most of the last decade+ struggling both financially and with overall well being. On top of that, most of my family roots are from the hollers of Eastern Kentucky and the tobacco and cattle farms of Central, Kentucky. My favorite people are smart hillbillies and that’s usually who I find myself around the most (I don’t consider hillbilly to be a derogatory term, but a way of life). The original post was only to illustrate the mindset of well off white kids and why they are more likely to end up at Duke than UK if all other things are held equal. Once upon a time, my parents were considering enrolling me at Sayre. Duke vs UK is kinda like Sayre vs say, Bourbon County HS. Going to Sayre carries prestige. As long as you don’t totally F up…the connections you can make there and being able to put Sayre School on college applications will open a lot of doors.
You sound super weird, and I'm originally from Harlan co. as far into east KY as you can get (houston now). I graduated from UK in 04 and never had a class past soph yr with more than 20 or 25. one class only had 9 students and we all sat around one table.

Reactions: Montana81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT