ADVERTISEMENT

Goodman says Drew will be first (and likely only) call

Hurley to UK probably gets Reed to come back and might even still entice Dybantsa to come here since it looks like a UConn/USC/Calipari battle for the kid.
Hurley is not going to leave back to back NC for UK. I'd love to get him but lets get realistic.

The only person I would call Drew over would be Underwood. I don't know why his name is even being mentioned. I would take 10-15 guys over a 60 year old who has done nothing.

People are forgetting how Donovan ended his tenure at Florida. Five of his last eight seasons he had double digit losses and went 16-17 his final year. You can very easily make the argument he caught lightening in a bottle with the Noah, Horford, Brewer class and outside of that had limited success.
He was in the Elite 8 constantly. Went to final fours in 2000 and 2014. Had the best team in 2014 and got upset by UConn.

Not many guys can say that at a football school.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Pilgrim just said Tony Bennett is sombody Barnhart likes. Mitch if you hire him this fanbase will be even madder than it already was
[laughing]

rMR8kAN.png

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Oats is laughable....a risk or reward offense that will fail in crunch time, not to mention an equivalent defensive strategy of Cal (hope they miss)

If they hired Oats, offense wouldn't be the thing I would worry about TBH. He's had good offenses the entire time at Alabama.

Looking back at tournament losses.
2024 Uconn they gave up 1.37 points per poss

They scored 1.16 which was the 6th best mark vs Uconn all year.

The defense has been a roller coaster.

FWIW he did have top 5 defenses in both 21 and 23.
The other years at Bama tho? 90s to 115s

Reactions: fatguy87
Oats could potentially bring Sears,Nelson, and a top 5 recruiting class with him.
Downside to Donovan is that all his current players have exhausted their eligibility.
Oats probably offers the best opportunity for a quick turnaround.

Jeff Goodman just said on his live video that Scott Drew will be the first and likely only call Mitch makes and will be the hire

If Mitch hires that dude, he needs to be run out of the state.

lol. Stevens has said a THOUSAND TIMES he has no interest in coming back to college
OK so just don’t ask anybody worth the shit. Just go ahead and go hire Kenny Payne and you all keep your low ass standards and expectations exactly where they are.

JFCATS22 cant stand that UK will be on top soon. This guy was a DUKE fan when ran to this board during 2015 when we lost to Wisconsin. Now has spent the last two years defending CAL to the hills.

If our moderators had any gall they would remove him years ago. But this place isn't what it once was....

Hes not my first choice but it doesnt get much better as a safety net than someone who completely rebuilt freakin Baylor. One could argue winning a title at Baylor is much more impressive than anything Cal did here

Go look at his results besides the title. No, I'm not acting like he didn't win a title, but look at the rest of his results. He's not Kentucky good.

I have a silly question

What the heck does "first and only call even mean" haha. What if Drew doesn't want to come? Are we just roll into the season without a coach lol.

Wouldn't you call EVERYONE. Interview EVERYONE and then see who the most qualified and impressive person is? Like any other job? lol

What job in America do u just focus on ONE PERSON
Discretion is important with this type of hire. None of the high caliber candidates want to be considered the second or third choice. Do you think Hurley or Oats would take the job if it had been publicly declined a couple of times?

People are forgetting how Donovan ended his tenure at Florida. Five of his last eight seasons he had double digit losses and went 16-17 his final year. You can very easily make the argument he caught lightening in a bottle with the Noah, Horford, Brewer class and outside of that had limited success.
He was in the Final Four the year before (2014). Should we judge him for just his last season there?

Discretion is important with this type of hire. None of the high caliber candidates want to be considered the second or third choice. Do you think Hurley or Oats would take the job if it had been publicly declined a couple of times?

Then why say anything at all like this.

By openly admitting that Drew is the first and only, sure that sounds good to Drew but what if u don't get him. Then everyone else will know they are the second/third option.

This is why you don't put anything like this out there. Let people think they were the first option to begin with.

Reactions: BBNinSC
Who would want personality over coaching ability? Drew over Hurley? Hurley is getting it done and a lot of it is coaching. Pitino would be much better than Drew. Solid and consistent coach. Hire Pope because he loves UK and has done a good job? If you want the best chance to win championships you better put personalities and dislikes aside. Lot of guys could do a good job here but if you want the upper echelon better look at who the championship guys have been and are now.

Last edited:
Boring personality, boring style, decent results but not great. I just think UK can do better
Unless we can get one of Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, Brad Stevens or Danny Hurley, then no, UK probably can't do any better than Scott Drew because his resume is equal to or better than any of the other realistic options.

College ball isn't what it used to be. You can thank tv contracts, illiterate highschoolers and asleep at the wheel consumers for the slack product. Yawn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT