ADVERTISEMENT

Going for Drew first might have been the best move...

NociHTTP

Senior
Mar 8, 2023
I think Mitch made the right call by honoring his friendship with Drew, and knowing that Drew is actually very good at the game of coaching basketball. He likely felt that Drew would say no, for many of the reasons already stated by others here. This also, IMO, creates a situation where some time was bought for feelers to be put out to the other coaches, and ...... at the same time create an environment where those other coaches wouldn't maybe feel they were option #2 because "Drew is buddies with Mitch". I don't know, I'm just trying to look for positive angles and doing my best to not be productive while I obsess over this rather fun process of not having Calipari around UK anymore.

Nice to see someone search for positives other than the alternative which seems to be the norm around here.

Reactions: augustaky1
What you do here is you get an assurance from Donovan that he wants it and if he does, you wait. Blow next season and wait. This isn’t hard.

If he won’t commit to it then you go get Beard he will kill it here I’ve said it for years. We can’t be picky right now.

Reactions: Snarks0
What you do here is you get an assurance from Donovan that he wants it and if he does, you wait. Blow next season and wait. This isn’t hard.

If he won’t commit to it then you go get Beard he will kill it here I’ve said it for years. We can’t be picky right now.
Agreed, Dovovan, Beard then Pearl

We are getting Gary McCord from Rhode Island State. Good guy, understands NIL, and is on the upside. Go get him Mitch.

It's a nice theory.. but yeah I think we're looking at this with blue-tinted glasses. I'm afraid this was a swing and a miss. But I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

I think MB thought Drew would be the quickest, easiest, and cheapest good coach to come to UK.

It’s really prob that simple.
If the Oats reporting is true….clearly he was trying to get this done as cheaply as possible. If/when Hurley says no will he re-consider paying the Bama buyout?

Reactions: BlueRunner11
If the Oats reporting is true….clearly he was trying to get this done as cheaply as possible. If/when Hurley says no will he re-consider paying the Bama buyout?

I think it’s back on the table if Hurley says no. MB desperately needs to land one of Drew, Oats, Donovan, Hurley, Wright, or Stevens and I think only 3 of those are in play at this point, Hurley, Donovan and Oats.

Hurley is the long shot. Donovan difficult but doable imo, Oats may not be worth the buyout in MB opinion unless he’s his last option. He may just been down a tier from those other guys. I’d think so anyway. Also may be some family issues w Oats not allowing him to leave so may already be out of play.

I feel things trending towards Donovan tbh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT