ADVERTISEMENT

Good match up

Heres another that has never been impressed while watching Ellis play basketball. His stats are nice when facing teams with 6'7 centers. Once you put him against someone taller with some hops, he turns into a 6'8 18ft and out shooting pf. When someone that can jump higher than him faces him, he doesn't even make those jump shots at a high %. Before someone reminds me, i know Cal showed major interest and wanted him at Kentucky, but i also think Cal thought he would have taught the kid better foot work in the post to help when faced against more atheletic kids. I know after reading this you would think i think the can't play. Hes pretty talented. If he were here he would be more of a 3rd option on offense and i think he woyld do better without having to be the man in the post at Ku. Like someone else has already said, if Alex is playing his best d, Ellis won't be too much a factor.

The best example of the differences between Kansas and Kentucky basketball:
If the head coach job was open at UK, Bill Self would crawl to Lexington for an interview.

You are not in the same league, Trouthound.

Since this post began Ky has added depth inside with the addition of
As a Jayhawk fan, I see similarities in our teams. Some highly rated new talent (Bragg, Diallo, Vick; Labissiére, Murray, Briscoe, Mathews, Mulder.), and some glaring needs met for both squads.

We are now better down low, and Heaven knows we needed to be, and you have a killer guard line-up (which you needed) not to offend about the Harrison's. I'm a guest here.

It's all questions at this point isn't it?

Have Mason and Graham come as far as we think they have? Frank looked great in the Games, but a true test?

Is this a NEW Selden, or a Selden against weaker/sower foes?

How good will Graham be coming off injury? Greene? Same question.

Will Svi step up to expectations?

Will Hunter get real minutes or will Coach Self continue to play Jamari Traylor despite the clear evidence that he is just not good at basketball?

Will Murray turn out to be as good as the hype? (And man, on this board there has been a LOT of hype).

Can Ulis score? We all know he is stupid quick with good court vision, but can he add 8 a game to keep defenses honest.

Your bigs. Can Skal and Poy really carry the load inside with Lee and Willis backing them? I know KU has some challenges inside, but your down-low is kind of suspect and dependent upon Skal to be great as a freshman.

Don't get me wrong. Tons of talent, but a little thin and a Freshman.

This would be a good year to evaluate both of our coaches. I would not trade Coach Self for Cal and know you all feel the same way.

Good year for basketball. I wish we would play more often. Home and homes would be nice.

Good luck to you. (Except at Allen of course).

Since this post began Ky has added another big in Humphries. All the sudden we're not so thin inside. In fact we're looking pretty good with two experienced 5 star players and the addition of the #1Skal and 4 star Aussie Humphries who's a banger. It's gonna be a good game but I bet Ky is favored even though it's on the road. Good luck Sir..

Since this post began Ky has added depth inside with the addition of

Since this post began Ky has added another big in Humphries. All the sudden we're not so thin inside. In fact we're looking pretty good with two experienced 5 star players and the addition of the #1Skal and 4 star Aussie Humphries who's a banger. It's gonna be a good game but I bet Ky is favored even though it's on the road. Good luck Sir..

I don't wish him or them a second of luck. Games can be won or lost on luck. UK has the advantage except for the site, end of story. I hope for UK to play like they can. The rest won't matter.

I don't wish him or them a second of luck. Games can be won or lost on luck. UK has the advantage except for the site, end of story. I hope for UK to play like they can. The rest won't matter.
I was wishing him as a fan luck, not the Kansas team. I was also trying to be polite to the guest op.

Reactions: stenchymouse
Perry Ellis is a four year player for a reason..not much talent and undersized...he is Kansas's best player and would come off the UK bench probably after Marcus Lee. That should say a lot. Ulis will easily avg 10 pts or more and be one of the three better pgs other than Mason of KU who would also come off UK's bench after Ulis, Murray or Briscoe. If Diallo isn't eligible this game will not be close, if he is playing cats by 6-8. Selden is in his third year for a reason also...oh, but self develops these 5 stars. Selden nor Ellis will be drafted in the first round and doubtful they go in the draft at all. I respect Kansas and coach Self but they consistently underperform outside the Big 12. I think Self is in the second tier of coaches after K and Cal...but the drop after that is pretty steep...Izzo, Self, Williams,Boeheim, Pitino are all on the way down and I'd take up and comers like Gregg Marshall, Sean Miller and Brad Stevens in a heartbeat over them. I'll be in Allen Fieldhouse to see this game, and i'll enjoy the UK win 77-69.

If Diallo provides that defensive intimidating interior presence and energy we all suspect he will, and enough on offense to not be a liability, and I think most importantly if Selden finally plays like a 5 star, Kansas is going to be very good, Final Four good. I like them better than Duke or UNC to be honest.

As far as Kentucky goes, I'm not worried about our inside game at all. I think Skal is going to shine from Day 1, and I think we'll get more contribution from Humphries than anyone expects.

My only worry is backcourt chemistry. We all know there are entities in the media always looking for an angle to tear UK down - last year it was the "Ulis/Booker are better than the Harrisons" stuff. This year - you can book it - they'll try to stir up drama about the roles of Ulis/Briscoe/Murray. I suspect by January there will be a Pat Forde article out there about one or more of the three being unhappy. I think Cal calls it "clutter". A lot of it tends to surround UK since we are so high profile.

Last edited:
Perry Ellis is a four year player for a reason..not much talent and undersized...he is Kansas's best player and would come off the UK bench probably after Marcus Lee. That should say a lot. Ulis will easily avg 10 pts or more and be one of the three better pgs other than Mason of KU who would also come off UK's bench after Ulis, Murray or Briscoe. If Diallo isn't eligible this game will not be close, if he is playing cats by 6-8. Selden is in his third year for a reason also...oh, but self develops these 5 stars. Selden nor Ellis will be drafted in the first round and doubtful they go in the draft at all. I respect Kansas and coach Self but they consistently underperform outside the Big 12. I think Self is in the second tier of coaches after K and Cal...but the drop after that is pretty steep...Izzo, Self, Williams,Boeheim, Pitino are all on the way down and I'd take up and comers like Gregg Marshall, Sean Miller and Brad Stevens in a heartbeat over them. I'll be in Allen Fieldhouse to see this game, and i'll enjoy the UK win 77-69.

Ellis is better than Lee.

If Seldon has a great year, I could see him at the bottom of the 1st round, he has good size, is a JR, but his shooting %'s would have to be really high to garner 1st round status.

I doubt that Self is on the way down, only 52 and coaching at Kansas, lots of potentially good years ahead of him you would think.

Otherwise I concur. Thanks for going to the game!

As far as Kentucky goes, I'm not worried about our inside game at all. I think Skal is going to shine from Day 1, and I think we'll get more contribution from Humphries than anyone expects.

My only worry is backcourt chemistry. We all know there are entities in the media always looking for an angle to tear UK down - last year it was the "Ulis/Booker are better than the Harrisons" stuff. This year - you can book it - they'll try to stir up drama about the roles of Ulis/Booker/Murray. I suspect by January there will be a Pat Forde article out there about one or more of the three being unhappy. I think Cal calls it "clutter". A lot of it tends to surround UK since we are so high profile.

I think KU has an advantage with post experience and talent. Should be an interesting match up. Poythress will have to guard Ellis, which will be an offense versus defense match up. I think Ullis and Booker will be your best one/two combination. It will be interesting if Briscoe can learn to share the ball or will Calipari simply pull him and make him ride the bench?

I think KU has an advantage with post experience and talent. Should be an interesting match up. Poythress will have to guard Ellis, which will be an offense versus defense match up. I think Ullis and Booker will be your best one/two combination. It will be interesting if Briscoe can learn to share the ball or will Calipari simply pull him and make him ride the bench?

Will Oubre guard Booker?

"My only worry is backcourt chemistry. We all know there are entities in the media always looking for an angle to tear UK down - last year it was the "Ulis/Booker are better than the Harrisons" stuff. This year - you can book it - they'll try to stir up drama about the roles of Ulis/Booker/Murray. I suspect by January there will be a Pat Forde article out there about one or more of the three being unhappy. I think Cal calls it "clutter". A lot of it tends to surround UK since we are so high profile."

great call cat ballou, i can see it now.

Poythress has his own set of issues. He's certainly frustrated me over the years from time to time. But I have never once watched Ellis and thought much of him. He's like a slightly more talented Sheray Thomas. Nope. Never mind. He is Sheray Thomas.

I was never a fan of Ellis but to say Thomas was better is like saying Tubby was better then Calipari. It ain't true.

I was never a fan of Ellis but to say Thomas was better is like saying Tubby was better then Calipari. It ain't true.
Who ever said Sheray was better than Ellis? Certainly not me.

Also, your simile makes no sense.

Who ever said Sheray was better than Ellis? Certainly not me.

Also, your simile makes no sense.

Poythress has his own set of issues. He's certainly frustrated me over the years from time to time. But I have never once watched Ellis and thought much of him. He's like a slightly more talented Sheray Thomas. Nope. Never mind. He is Sheray Thomas.

What does your above post say? Maybe you need to read it again for it to make sense.

Ellis is better than Lee.

If Seldon has a great year, I could see him at the bottom of the 1st round, he has good size, is a JR, but his shooting %'s would have to be really high to garner 1st round status.

I doubt that Self is on the way down, only 52 and coaching at Kansas, lots of potentially good years ahead of him you would think.

Otherwise I concur. Thanks for going to the game!
Ellis would have sat the bench behind every PF at Uk just like Lee has....and the athletic difference is almost silly. Yes, ellis is better shooter, but that's it...check the NBA Draft projections. They agree with me. Seldon has good size for what??? A pg? He's an undersized shooting guard in the NBA. And he's no PG. Self is on his way down in my opinion because he never gets courted for the big jobs, Kansas will be his last stop unless he gets fired. And I do think that KU is a big job, but there are bigger ones.

Dude, you're done...you don't even know that Booker was a top pick in the NBA draft LAST YEAR.

Ellis would have sat the bench behind every PF at Uk just like Lee has....and the athletic difference is almost silly. Yes, ellis is better shooter, but that's it...check the NBA Draft projections. They agree with me. Seldon has good size for what??? A pg? He's an undersized shooting guard in the NBA. And he's no PG. Self is on his way down in my opinion because he never gets courted for the big jobs, Kansas will be his last stop unless he gets fired. And I do think that KU is a big job, but there are bigger ones.

Ellis is a better basketball player. Lee is a better athlete. Lee is also a better athlete than Dirk, and other NBA players, doesn't make him better.

Seldon has a solid frame and is 6'5. The top 3 SFs in this past draft measured under 6'6 and one under 6'5.

Courted for big jobs? KU is a top 3-4 job already. Who is hiring higher than KU?

I disagree with that whole post.

What does your above post say? Maybe you need to read it again for it to make sense.
Why should I need to read it again.

I said Ellis is a slightly more talented Sheray Thomas....... that means Ellis is like Thomas, but slightly more talented..... meaning Ellis > Thomas.

Then I revised my previous statement and said. "Nope. Never Mind. He is Sheray Thomas." That means Ellis = Thomas.

So we have:
Ellis > Thomas

and

Ellis = Thomas

No where in the entire post do we have Ellis < Thomas.

If you need someone to explain it to you in more simple terms, then you will need to ask someone else.

Why should I need to read it again.

I said Ellis is a slightly more talented Sheray Thomas....... that means Ellis is like Thomas, but slightly more talented..... meaning Ellis > Thomas.

Then I revised my previous statement and said. "Nope. Never Mind. He is Sheray Thomas." That means Ellis = Thomas.

So we have:
Ellis > Thomas

and

Ellis = Thomas

No where in the entire post do we have Ellis < Thomas.

If you need someone to explain it to you in more simple terms, then you will need to ask someone else.

No, I feel like the intelligence level is low enough in your post, but thanks.

I think talent will be similar and should a great game. I just have a feeling that Self may run out of time on this one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT