ADVERTISEMENT

Former UK OT Goodwin out at UF

I feel for the kid. But, he couldn't get any PT last year when the OL wasn't much good (Wohlabaugh?). Not sure unless he would improve a lot, always possible, he was gonna be a solid SEC starter. Could be wrong and still several years to go, but that's what it looked like to me.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
He is very green, needs work, but has 4 years if he wants to. Sorry to hear aout his mom, I hope it all works out for him.
You counting a redshirt year? I thought he burned his redshirt last year on STs. That’s what I would advise him do-take a redshirt & work with whatever team he goes to (Louisville, probably) as much as he can & take care of his mom, and be in shape & ready to play the following year (and my prayer is that she has recovered by then).

I agree that he was very young last year & really not ready to play mentally or physically, but if he gets his body right I think he could STILL develop and have a chance to get drafted in 2-3 years.

I hope wherever he goes he's able to spend as much time with his mom as possible and stay there for the rest of his college career. There's never a good age for this to happen, but especially not when you're just starting your adult life. What I would think he needs is stability and a good support system. He changed high schools a number of times too and I think this hampered his football development. I agree with the above posts that redshirting could be beneficial. Wish it could have worked out at UK obviously, but whatever happens to him I wish him the best.

Hope the bridges between him and the UK coaching staff weren’t burned…….but Louisville seems like the logical destination for him.

I watched most of the Florida spring game. KG appeared to be in much better physical condition than when he left UK.

He was also very strong in the run game at RIGHT TACKLE. Reached second level blocks on LB multiple times. Delivered devastating blocks on WR sweeps to his side. Even pulled and made plays.

It is a total mystery to me how a kid CAN'T OR WONT play a certain position they are better suited to play at UK, but will transfer out and play that position.

This kid can play RT right now. Go get him. Leave the baggage behind.

I watched most of the Florida spring game. KG appeared to be in much better physical condition than when he left UK.

He was also very strong in the run game at RIGHT TACKLE. Reached second level blocks on LB multiple times. Delivered devastating blocks on WR sweeps to his side. Even pulled and made plays.

It is a total mystery to me how a kid CAN'T OR WONT play a certain position they are better suited to play at UK, but will transfer out and play that position.

This kid can play RT right now. Go get him. Leave the baggage behind.
If you dont know/understand the plays then you cant play no mattet how good you are. They worked hard to teach him the plays and I was told it seem he was getting it then the next practice was lost. Similar with Buford

If you dont know/understand the plays then you cant play no mattet how good you are. They worked hard to teach him the plays and I was told it seem he was getting it then the next practice was lost. Similar with Buford
That's even more mysterious. Didn't seem to have any problems running plays and understanding blocking assignments in the scrimmage I watched from what I saw.

I think school is still out on determining whether Yenser is a poor OL coach or Scangs scheme was too complex for college players.

I hope it is the latter.

P.S. KG wasn't the only OL to struggle with play calls and blocking assignments. Sounds like coaching and/or scheme.

Last edited:
That's even more mysterious. Didn't seem to have any problems running plays and understanding blocking assignments in the scrimmage I watched from what I saw.

I think school is still out on determining whether Yenser is a poor OL coach or Scangs scheme was too complex for college players.

I hope it is the latter.

P.S. KG wasn't the only OL to struggle with play calls and blocking assignments. Sounds like coaching and/or scheme.
Totally agree I just didn’t understand guys on the line just totally whiffing on a guy right in front of them. Was the scheme that complicated. Rich was a bad hire he has never worked out anywhere. They all said he was like a genius but couldn’t communicate with anyone.

Totally agree I just didn’t understand guys on the line just totally whiffing on a guy right in front of them. Was the scheme that complicated. Rich was a bad hire he has never worked out anywhere. They all said he was like a genius but couldn’t communicate with anyone.
Scangs talked a good game but it never translated to the field, especially on game days.

I love Stoops but what did he see in Scan to hire him ?
Coen left pretty late in the game and the coaching carousel had mostly passed. Scang also checked a lot of boxes: NFL background + came from the Shanahan tree, considered a top level quarterback developer, and even had Levis and Coen give their stamp of approval.

I had a wait and see approach only because the frequency of his coaching stops worried me but of the options that were reported he seemed like the best bet. Looking back in hindsight his lack of high level college coaching experience, communication style + personality, and unwillingness to adapt are what did him in.

I don't think anybody could have predicted just how bad it would be though. Offense had 0 good games - only mediocre or bad - which considering they had ~6 or so future NFL picks in the starting lineup is crazy. For extra measure he had 0 recruiting ability. Just not a good fit, and sometimes that's hard to know before they're actually in the thick of everything

I assume he thought he was getting one of Kyle Shanahan’s top offensive coaches. Hiring off an offensive NFL coach staff had just worked.
Indeed. Plus it wasn’t just Stoops, Scang was recommended by Coen and endorsed by Levis and welcomed by most of us fans (I’m guilty). Hindsight is 20/20. It’s hard to fault Stoops for the hire. Sometimes we miss… at least he moved on quickly. If Coen wasn’t here in ‘21 we could say “he became OC of the world champs & took them to 5-12”. But we know that (while this statement is true) there are a lot more factors in play than just past record & it doesn’t tell the whole story. Thing about Scang is, he is an offensive genius. That probably impressed Stoops. Not all geniuses can break it down to where a layperson can understand, and not all of them understand how or why people can’t comprehend what they can. It just frustrates them. If every player was as smart as Scang & had the talent to execute, it would be an unstoppable offense. It just doesn’t work that way (especially in college).

Word is that Scang’s offense was very complex and most everyone was confused and a half step slow because they weren’t confident about correct assignments.

I’m just an armchair coach, but try to listen to others who are much smarter than me.

Indeed. Plus it wasn’t just Stoops, Scang was recommended by Coen and endorsed by Levis and welcomed by most of us fans (I’m guilty). Hindsight is 20/20. It’s hard to fault Stoops for the hire. Sometimes we miss… at least he moved on quickly. If Coen wasn’t here in ‘21 we could say “he became OC of the world champs & took them to 5-12”. But we know that (while this statement is true) there are a lot more factors in play than just past record & it doesn’t tell the whole story. Thing about Scang is, he is an offensive genius. That probably impressed Stoops. Not all geniuses can break it down to where a layperson can understand, and not all of them understand how or why people can’t comprehend what they can. It just frustrates them. If every player was as smart as Scang & had the talent to execute, it would be an unstoppable offense. It just doesn’t work that way (especially in college).

Generally agree.

One thing to keep in mind. Last season, nearly every key player on the LA Rams' offense was injured, including their starting QB Matt Stafford, their star WR Cooper Kupp, and several starting offensive linemen. Under those circumstances, no OC looks good although Coen received praise for coaching up their late QB acquisition Baker Mayfield.

Generally agree.

One thing to keep in mind. Last season, nearly every key player on the LA Rams' offense was injured, including their starting QB Matt Stafford, their star WR Cooper Kupp, and several starting offensive linemen. Under those circumstances, no OC looks good although Coen received praise for coaching up their late QB acquisition Baker Mayfield.
No doubt. I agree. Coen didn’t even call plays. That was exactly my point. A lot of people bring up Scang’s record when saying he should have never been hired. We can all say that in hindsight, but record doesn’t always tell the story.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
No doubt. I agree. Coen didn’t even call plays. That was exactly my point. A lot of people bring up Scang’s record when saying he should have never been hired. We can all say that in hindsight, but record doesn’t always tell the story.
That's certainly true. But I suspect most playoff teams benefit from an element of good luck during the season. There is not talent parity, but talent levels are competitive enough that a rash of injuries can kill a team's season. Whereas a few good breaks and timely plays can make a season. Not that talent isn't involved. It is. But that's the point. When your best talent is sidelined, your team swims upstream and winnable games are lost (such as UK-SCar in 2022). The Rams' injury list in 2022 was absolutely devastating. Injuries happen in football, but we have seldom seen one NFL team hit that hard. Because of that alone, the Rams had no realistic shot to make the playoffs. Coen serendipitously chose a bad time to take the LA OC job. But the experience gave him more of a professional perspective. And serendipitously or not, IMO he has picked a really good time to return to UK.

I think Scan is like a lot of other highly intelligent, analytical people. He can out-think other people, but he lacks the interpersonal skills to lead a team of people with less intelligence than his to overachieve. IOW, Scan is an analyst, not a leader. I believe Coen is the rare combination of both. Hope this turns out to be right.

I’d assume he ends up at Louisville
I thought they lived in New Albany, which is practically Louisville. but if he wants to stay close to home the only real options are UofL, IU, Cincy or back to UK. I'd assume UofL has the leg up at this point.

I thought they lived in New Albany, which is practically Louisville. but if he wants to stay close to home the only real options are UofL, IU, Cincy or back to UK. I'd assume UofL has the leg up at this point.
As long as Brohm will take him, Goodwin is almost certainly headed back home to UL. Does anyone doubt it? I don't think it is a slam dunk that Brohm will take him, but he probably will. At this time, Brohm has very little to lose by giving Goodwin a friendly port in his personal storm and seeing what they can make out of him. If Brohm can make a player out of Goodwin, that would make him look a little better in comparison to UK and Stoops. But if Goodwin never amounts to anything, no one will be surprised after the quick folderoos in Lexington and Gainesville. My guess is that Goodwin will eventually become a serviceable ACC lineman but never the elite player the online websites predicted simplistically on the basis of his size and regional combine appearances. But wherever he enrolls, Goodwin will have to step up and give it a serious go. That means nutrition, effort, learning, maturation, and competitive spirit. So far, he hasn't shown any of that.

For the sake of discussing the hypothetical, would Mark Stoops take Goodwin back now if Goodwin wants to come back to UK? I don't believe he would. Stoops has already brought in serviceable tackles through the portal. The other day, I noticed Ben Christman has moved to OT too (no surprise, given his build and athleticism). I kind of expected that, given the positional need. There was a lot of unnecessary baggage around Goodwin when he was at UK, but Stoops' program is built on a team-first, next man up philosophy. But don't get me wrong. I don't believe Goodwin has any interest in coming back. He is being handled.

Last edited:
Goodwin was not a take for U6 when he entered the Portal in December. I'm not sure why he would be a take for them now.

Time will tell.

Goodwin was not a take for U6 when he entered the Portal. I'm not sure why he would be a take for them now.

Time will tell.
That's why I said it is not a slam dunk that Brohm will take him. But Brohm has nothing to lose by taking him, and we don't know what has gone on behind the scenes. Given what is being publicly shared about Mrs. Goodwin's health, Brohm has a chance to play white knight here, and there is actually a lot to gain in the way of PR if Brohm makes a serviceable player out of Goodwin. Brohm will probably have few local PR opportunities this good. Plus, Goodwin obviously believes he is going to transfer "closer to home". It could end up being WKU or UC, but I believe Goodwin and his handlers will probably work out an arrangement with Brohm. It makes too much sense.

As long as Brohm will take him, Goodwin is almost certainly headed back home to UL. Does anyone doubt it? I don't think it is a slam dunk that Brohm will take him, but he probably will. At this time, Brohm has very little to lose by giving Goodwin a friendly port in his personal storm and seeing what they can make out of him. If Brohm can make a player out of Goodwin, that would make him look a little better in comparison to UK and Stoops. But if Goodwin never amounts to anything, no one will be surprised after the quick folderoos in Lexington and Gainesville. My guess is that Goodwin will eventually become a serviceable ACC lineman but never the elite player the online websites predicted simplistically on the basis of his size and regional combine appearances. But wherever he enrolls, Goodwin will have to step up and give it a serious go. That means nutrition, effort, learning, maturation, and competitive spirit. So far, he hasn't shown any of that.

For the sake of discussing the hypothetical, would Mark Stoops take Goodwin back now if Goodwin wants to come back to UK? I don't believe he would. Stoops has already brought in serviceable tackles through the portal. The other day, I noticed Ben Christman has moved to OT too (no surprise, given his build and athleticism). I kind of expected that, given the positional need. There was a lot of unnecessary baggage around Goodwin when he was at UK, but Stoops' program is built on a team-first, next man up philosophy. But don't get me wrong. I don't believe Goodwin has any interest in coming back. He is being handled.

To give you an idea where UF is with their OK, he was expected to battle for the starting RT spot and at worse be their first off the bench OT. At least that is what a couple of their insiders were saying.

That's why I said it is not a slam dunk that Brohm will take him. But Brohm has nothing to lose by taking him, and we don't know what has gone on behind the scenes. Given what is being publicly shared about Mrs. Goodwin's health, Brohm has a chance to play white knight here, and there is actually a lot to gain in the way of PR if Brohm makes a serviceable player out of Goodwin. Brohm will probably have few local PR opportunities this good. Plus, Goodwin obviously believes he is going to transfer "closer to home". It could end up being WKU or UC, but I believe Goodwin and his handlers will probably work out an arrangement with Brohm. It makes too much sense.
Couldn’t agree more. Another reason for Brohm to take him is to build good will with Aspirations gym. The only (potential) downside is if he’s a bad locker room guy or something like that. I’d for sure take him if I were Brohm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT