ADVERTISEMENT

For All Cal Bashers; 2010-15 Is 3rd Best 6 Year Run In UK's Glorious History

Fall2012OliverStone12.jpg

tumblr_n874gt4Fe51qegacgo4_r1_1280.jpg

The would of could of game can go way back. I've been Cat fan since 1960.

We had the best team in 1966, 1968, 1970, 1971, 1975, 1977, 1980, 1984,1986,1993, 1995, 1997, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2014 and 2015.....nobody is gona win the championship just because they have the best team. UK fans know this the hard way. It dose not happen cause the tournament is such a crap shot.

Once you get past the fact that it is not life and death and just a game played by KIDS for your enjoyment you won't be so negative and or depressed....lol

Good point. I hadn't considered the possibility that Cut is just a kid and lacks historical perspective. 2015 was just another of many and it wasn't even the worst. Winning that tournament is just a tough thing to do and requires a lot of good things to happen and a very large measure of luck. If athletics were ever a sure thing, they wouldn't bother playing the game. Putting down the kids and coach to make himself feel better just makes one bitter.

Reactions: bluescat92
YOU are mad. It's hilarious.

Just because no one else agrees with your semi (subtle) racist posts, you get all bent out of shape.

How about you try adding something of substance instead of throwing tantrums?
This is rich. How about YOU actual post something on topic instead of calling out posters, and try not use the word YOU so much.

YOU are mad. It's hilarious.

Just because no one else agrees with your semi (subtle) racist posts, you get all bent out of shape.

How about you try adding something of substance instead of throwing tantrums?

You mad??? [roll]

See how that easy that was? I've been on here since 2001, and that's the first time I've been called a racist. Then again, SmellyJelly tries to call out everyone over nothing.

Gotta love it when people can't take what they dish out, though.

"Oh yeah?!? Well you're a racist and you're mad!!! I win!!" :flush:

Last edited:
He is so full of it. He either just enjoys pissing people off, or he has some ridiculous sense of entitlement. How do you ignore people now? I used to do it all the time, but since the website has changed it isn't clear how to do it anymore.

Rupp won 4 in 33 years (1939-72 with 1 season suspended)
Coach K is 5 for 40+
Knight was 3 for 42 years
Dean Smith was 2 for 36
Jim Boeheim has won 1 title in 39 years
Jim Calhoun 3 in 39 years
Tarkanian 1 in 31 years
Ray Meyer 0 in 42 years

I am beginning to think 3-4 titles in a 6 year period MAY be asking a bit much.

Darryl

Good thread Darryl. I am saving your information. If you see it used again don't do the copyright thing. Okay?

The would of could of game can go way back. I've been Cat fan since 1960.

We had the best team in 1966, 1968, 1970, 1971, 1975, 1977, 1980, 1984,1986,1993, 1995, 1997, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2014 and 2015.....nobody is gona win the championship just because they have the best team. UK fans know this the hard way. It dose not happen cause the tournament is such a crap shot.

Once you get past the fact that it is not life and death and just a game played by KIDS for your enjoyment you won't be so negative and or depressed....lol

You'd be hard pressed to find too many people that would agree with you that Kentucky was the nation's best team in all those years you listed. Hell you're even listing years when Lew Al Cindor was at UCLA!

You'd be hard pressed to find too many people that would agree with you that Kentucky was the nation's best team in all those years you listed. Hell you're even listing years when Lew Al Cindor was at UCLA!
We were the number one team in 1966, 27-2 and getting beat in the championship game. We opened the season with a 22 game win streak. Pat Riley, Louie Dampier, Larry Conley, Tommy Kron and Thad Jaracz were one tough team.

Our 1970 team went 26-2. We had 16 + games where we scored over 94 points, 13 games scoring over 100 and two games we put up 120. We were ranked number one even thou we were upset in the tournament and UCLA won it again (don t know if Alcindor was still playing). Great team with Issel, Pratt, Steele and company.

Yes we had the best team. Learn your UK history boy if your gona be a fan....lol

We were the number one team in 1966, 27-2 and getting beat in the championship game. We opened the season with a 22 game win streak. Pat Riley, Louie Dampier, Larry Conley, Tommy Kron and Thad Jaracz were one tough team.

Our 1970 team went 26-2. We had 16 + games where we scored over 94 points, 13 games scoring over 100 and two games we put up 120. We were ranked number one even thou we were upset in the tournament and UCLA won it again (don t know if Alcindor was still playing). Great team with Issel, Pratt, Steele and company.

Yes we had the best team. Learn your UK history boy if your gona be a fan....lol

That's a great record, as was UCLA'S 28-2 that same season and fourth consecutive National Championship. Producing a great record doesn't automatically equate to having the best team when there are others around the country that may have equally great records.

That's a great record, as was UCLA'S 28-2 that same season and fourth consecutive National Championship. Producing a great record doesn't automatically equate to having the best team when there are others around the country that may have equally great records.
No my instigating friend, it was not about our great record we had a great team that year.....period. which is why despite not wining the tourney we were still ranked number one in the last pole.

The point being, weather it was 1970 or 2015, the best team dose not always win the championship. And Kentucky fans from every generation has experienced that first hand at one time or another. Probably more so then any other program.

Reactions: Neue Regel
We did not have the best team in 2014. You don't lose 11 games, lose 3 times to the same team, and have the best team.

He is so full of it. He either just enjoys pissing people off, or he has some ridiculous sense of entitlement. How do you ignore people now? I used to do it all the time, but since the website has changed it isn't clear how to do it anymore.
Click the posters name below their avatar and then click ignore.

There is certainly nothing wrong with comments being made that we should have at least one more title during Cal's tenure. It certainly has not been due to a lack of talent. Young talent, yes, but we also won it with Young talent in 2012 and youthfulness has not been the reason we lost in the games I have been most critical of Cal. Played a part, perhaps, but despite being in position to win it more we have not and mostly from my stand point due to bad coaching decisions that have nothing to do with the personnel. As great is Cal is as a coach, he could be even better if he expanded his coaching philosophy. I think all coaches have their shortcomings and it is mostly between their ears. They obviously have the knowledge but are typically to stubborn to see the simplest of things that could be done to make their teams even better and improve their chances of winning.

Cal's biggest deficiency as a coach is he simply will not dictate the tempo of the game or even try. He implements very little strategy for a game and rarely will he ever change much of anything up. He is an extremely easy coach for an opposing coach to game plan for because you know exactly how his team will play. Our 2015 team should have been a nightmare for any opposing coach/team to prepare for yet as the year went along we became easier and easier to score against. Now why do you think that is? With 5 minutes to go in the Wisconsin game, they were gassed and running on fumes, time to put the medal to the pedal and put this game away. Nope, dribble the freaking shot clock out with an insurmountable 4 point lead and get three straight shot clock violations. Was that the players, perhaps, but if it were Cal should have made it known to put this game away. Put Ulis in the game and tell him to push it. Play to win, not to not lose which is also a bad trait of Cal that he needs to overcome. Wisconsin had a really good team, We had a GREAT team. We lost due to coaching, which is hard to take. We were there due to Cal, I agree with that, but most of you will never admit when his coaching cost us a game or games.

If you are going to give him credit for beating teams that were better (OSU and UNC in 2011), then why does he not also get the blame or at least share the blame for losing when his teams were immensely more talented?

For someone who never dictates tempo, implements very little strategy, and is extremely easy to game plan against, it's mind-boggling that he has been so successful. Oh, right, it's just because of all the talent. My bad.

Reactions: Neue Regel
We did not have the best team in 2014. You don't lose 11 games, lose 3 times to the same team, and have the best team.

I see your point. However, I saw the before and after with that team. It was a very weird year. The team that lost those games was NOT the same team that ran so deep in the tournament. Might have looked like the same guys, they sure didn't play the same. The team that went so deep in the tourney was one of the best teams in the nation, if not the best.

Reactions: bluescat92
In what tournament game did we lose, under Cal, where we were a huge favorite? You can only point to the WVU but that UK team, while extremely talented, was terribly flawed. We had zero outside shooting, our PG averaged 4 turnovers per game (and had 5 against WVU compared to 5 assists) our shooting averaged more turnovers than assists and in that game they forced UK to shoot and it worked. How was he supposed to coach to overcome a team not being able to shoot?

The Wisconsin game was two fairly evenly matched teams.
In 2011 and 2014 our team wasn't even a favorite to make it to the final four. Yet he coached them there.

If we were getting upset by a bunch of lower seeded teams 5-10s, then you could blame it on him, but we haven't.

From reading these comments, it is clear that Cut-Nets and a few others don't understand the difference between "could have done more" and "should have done more."

Of course UK could have done more during the past 6 years. If we didn't have a terrible shooting night and if WV didn't have a great shooting night, we probably win in 2010. If we make a few more shots or free throws, we beat UConn in 2011 and have a great shot against Butler in the title game. If Nerlens doesn't get hurt in 2013, we certainly make the field, and 2014 showed us what a talented low seeded team can do with Cal at the helm. We certainly had the talent to beat UConn in 2014 as well even though we didn't play well in that game. The same is true of the game against Wisconsin in 2015.

So yes, UK was in a position to win 5 of the past 6 titles were it not for some bad luck here and there. Since we only won one, we could have done better. But that isn't the same thing as saying we SHOULD have done better. I already posted the Vegas odds. Vegas says we did exactly what we SHOULD have done as far as titles go and much better than we should have done as far as Final Fours go. And Vegas got the benefit of seeing those teams play all season. To say we should have done more means to go back to 2009 when Cal first signed up for the job and say that we should have had more success during his first six years. Given what we were coming out of, that just isn't reasonable.

Even if you do mean to say that, given the talent on each team in October, we should have had more titles come April, I think that sentiment is misguided. We've had more talent in these six years than in ANY stretch in ANY TEAM'S history, but young talent isn't the same as experienced talent. No other coach could assemble that much young talent, and even if they could, why should we think that such a coach could have done more with them? There's simply no precedent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT