Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
#1 1946-51
187-17 for 91.7%
6 SEC Reg Season Titles
5 SEC Tourney Titles
5 National Tourney Sweet 16s
5 National Tourney Elite 8s
5 National Tourney Final 4s (3 NCAA, 2 NIT)
5 Title Games (3 NCAA, 2 NIT)
4 Titles (3 NCAA, 1 NIT)
14-1 NCAA/NIT Record

#2 1993-98
189-27 for 87.5%
3 SEC Reg Season Titles
5 SEC Tourney Titles
5 Sweet 16s
5 Elite 8s
4 Final 4s
3 Title Games
2 NCAA Titles
25-5 NCAAT Record

#3 2010-15
190-38 for 83.3%
3 SEC Reg Season Titles
3 SEC Tourney Titles
5 Sweet 16s
5 Elite 8s
4 Final 4s
2 Title Games
1 NCAA Title
22-4 NCAAT Record

#4 1975-80
150-39 for 79.4%
4 SEC Reg Season Titles
0 SECT Titles but tourney only held in 1979 and 1980
4 Sweet 16s
3 Elite 8s
3 Final 4s (2 NCAA/1 NIT)
3 Title Games (2 NCAA/ 1 NIT)
1 NCAA Title and 1 NIT Title
18-4 post season

Darryl

Yeah so like, who is exactly bashing Cal??

Starting an issue where there is no issue, bravo dude.
You new here?
As Poe said and as another reacted...there are about half dozen or so, that need to interject in many threads. They make certain their opinions are read; and the opinion is, that Cal is way underachieving. He should have, at a minimum, two more titles

Reactions: KFuqua
You new here?
As Poe said and as another reacted...there are about half dozen or so, that need to interject in many threads. They make certain their opinions are read; and the opinion is, that Cal is way underachieving. He should have, at a minimum, two more titles

Are you stupid here?

So questioning performance = "bashing"...uhhhh, OK.

Should we have more titles? Of course, and guess what, Cal would tell you that.

Saying we've come up short is a far cry from bashing someone...we all recognize the run we are on is historic to this program and frankly all of college basketball. No one is denying that or willing to trade it for anything.

Are you stupid here?

Saying we've come up short is a far cry from bashing someone...we all recognize the run we are on is historic to this program and frankly all of college basketball. No one is denying that or willing to trade it for anything.
Name calling?....whoa you da'man. But, stupid is as stupid does
I said nothing of bashing. You did.
Why the need to post this same thing over and over and over in every flipping post about cal?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike-D and brianpoe
I said nothing of bashing. You did.
Why the need to post this same thing over and over and over in every flipping post about cal?

Just being an ass like CT was, hell they may be the same person.

Bash may be a bit strong but there are certainly UK fans who are NOT satisfied with Cal's 6 years. They keep pointing out the "raw" talent he lands each year but never seem to consider Cal starts basically anew each and every season. He is accomplishing things that have never been done before. In 1974 Wooden had seniors Bill Walton and Keith Wilkes, as well as other top 5 picks Dave Meyers, Richard Washington, and Marques Johnson. He failed to win the title that year. It happens.

I've followed UK since 1958. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone. Better enjoy the Cal years.....we could have had Tom Crean.

Darryl

Hey pretty interesting how a thread extolling Cal can turn into a thread where people debate his merits yet the OP showing his historical success wasn't warranted because no one was questioning him.

Run 'round and 'round in that circle of logic if you want.

I am no Cal basher, but considering the talent that has been here the 1 title in 4 legitimate shots at it is pretty light. I can see why some could be critical. Me, personally, 1 title in 6 years is better to focus on than the 3-4 failures to win it all.

Reactions: CUT-NETS
Another interesting point about the OP's stats...7 of UK's national titles have come in these 24 years (4 6 year stretches), along with 13/17 Final Fours. So, pretty good runs...but only 24/76 years since the NCAA Tourney started. That means just 1 title and 4 Final Fours in the other 52 seasons of NCAA play. That just shows you how tough it is to win a title, and even get to a Final Four overall.

The fact that UK has 8 titles in 7.5 decades of tourney play is pretty good, and UK goes to the Final Four about 23% of the time since NCAA Tourney play started in 1939. Obviously UK has not participated in every tournament, but anyone who questions/scoffs at 4 in the last 5 years has mental issues.

I am no Cal basher, but considering the talent that has been here the 1 title in 4 legitimate shots at it is pretty light. I can see why some could be critical. Me, personally, 1 title in 6 years is better to focus on than the 3-4 failures to win it all.

Rupp won 4 in 33 years (1939-72 with 1 season suspended)
Coach K is 5 for 40+
Knight was 3 for 42 years
Dean Smith was 2 for 36
Jim Boeheim has won 1 title in 39 years
Jim Calhoun 3 in 39 years
Tarkanian 1 in 31 years
Ray Meyer 0 in 42 years

I am beginning to think 3-4 titles in a 6 year period MAY be asking a bit much.

Darryl

This. And that is all. Thats not to say I or anyone else is unhappy with final fours and a title. Just makes you think what could have been. Do none of you all ever think "man what could have been"? All the stars have aligned and we could have been on a national title tear with the talent we've had and we have come up short. 2010 was stacked. 2011 made a helluva run. 2014 had a shot. 2015 should have won it all. Would give anything to be like many on here and just be 100% completely satisfied and pleased and happy with what we have done and go on and on about how incredible it is. And it is incredible. But when you factor in the talent, is it not ok to wonder, and even question, could we have done more? (I know I know….. "but Cut, you do it in every thread etc etc blah blah boo hoo boo hoo") I think there is fear that if you question whether you could have done more that it somehow makes you ungrateful for what you have. I don't think this is true. I think we were in such a bad spell under BCG and the last years of Tubby that we have just been absolutely blown away with the success under Cal that we dare question "could we have done more"?

I go back to the race car analogy. IF for years you have been doing "ok" as a driver with a decent car and you have almost forgotten about what it taste like to win, then all of a sudden you get the fastest car around and you start getting top 4 finishes OF COURSE you are going to be thrilled because you are enjoying success that you haven't had in a while. But could you not ask yourself "wait a minute, I've go the fastest car on the track, shouldn't I be winning a few of these"? And if you did ask yourself that, is it not a fair question?

Stings even more when you consider that Uconn and Duke have won 2 a piece in the same time frame.

Last edited:
This. And that is all. Thats not to say I or anyone else is unhappy with final fours and a title. Just makes you think what could have been. Do none of you all ever think "man what could have been"? All the stars have aligned and we could have been on a national title tear with the talent we've had and we have come up short. 2010 was stacked. 2011 made a helluva run. 2014 had a shot. 2015 should have won it all. Would give anything to be like many on here and just be 100% completely satisfied and pleased and happy with what we have done and go on and on about how incredible it is. And it is incredible. But when you factor in the talent, is it not ok to wonder, and even question, could we have done more? (I know I know….. "but Cut, you do it in every thread etc etc blah blah boo hoo boo hoo") I think there is fear that if you question whether you could have done more that it somehow makes you ungrateful for what you have. I don't think this is true. I think we were in such a bad spell under BCG and the last years of Tubby that we have just been absolutely blown away with the success under Cal that we dare question "could we have done more"?

I go back to the race car analogy. IF for years you have been doing "ok" as a driver with a decent car and you have almost forgotten about what it taste like to win, then all of a sudden you get the fastest car around and you start getting top 4 finishes OF COURSE you are going to be thrilled because you are enjoying success that you haven't had in a while. But could you not ask yourself "wait a minute, I've go the fastest car on the track, shouldn't I be winning a few of these"? And if you did ask yourself that, is it not a fair question?

Stings even more when you consider that Uconn and Duke have won 2 a piece in the same time frame.
If a NASCAR driver won 1 out every 6 races his entire career, would he not be considered one of the greatest drivers of all time?

Reactions: brianpoe
"(I know I know….. "but Cut, you do it in every thread etc etc blah blah boo hoo boo hoo") "

Dude that is all it is. You think we all don't want more titles? We get it, we want more too. But you hijack threads that have nothing to do with this conversation constantly and for no reason.

Reactions: Blueaz
Scud-Nets wants everything hand delivered to him. He acts like Cal makes the lineup out, gives the boys a pep talk, then sends them out to play against the Washington Generals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mike-D and brianpoe
Are you stupid here?

You are so misguided

No one likes you.

Reactions: Uk1111
Since when were we the best team every year Cal has been here? I only remember twice when a reasonable person would say we were probably the best team going into the tournament.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Since when were we the best team every year Cal has been here? I only remember twice when a reasonable person would say we were probably the best team going into the tournament.

I agree with this.

2010: KU was the #1 favorite, but UK was certainly 2nd going into the tourney.
2011: OSU and KU...UK was nowhere to be found.
2012: UK was the #1 favorite, but a healthy UNC was considered a strong 2nd.
2013: Yeah...injuries, not even close to the best team even at healthy.
2014: FL was the #1 favorite by far, and beat UK 3 times that year. Only an idiot would argue (and we have one in this thread whose post I cannot see!) UK was the better team going into the NCAA Tourney.
2015: UK was the #1 favorite, but Wisconsin had ONE loss at 100% full strength in the 2014-2015 season heading into the Final Four (To Duke of all teams lol), so to act like they were some scrub team that did not belong on the floor with UK is asanine. Duke was also a dangerous team all season long to UK's tourney chances, and the #2 favorite with Wisconsin being a deceptive #3 favorite due to the injury factors.

That one kid wants to rationalize his posts by saying "well UK was the best team left in the round they lost in in 2010, 2011, 2014 and 2015", which is debatable, but the best team does not always win. Plus, I'm not sure how anyone can rationalize that UK was CLEARLY better than UCONN in 2011 or 2014 if they watched the games. I also mentioned reasons on why Wisconsin was not as "bad" as that one poster wants to make them out to be. I think we can all agree on 2010 and WVU...of all the UK losses under Cal in the tourney to me that one is the most baffling all these years later. I just do not understand how players can miss SO MANY wide open 3 pointers...even a bad 3 point shooting team should be able to hit 6-7 out of 32 on a bad day. If UK had hit 7 three's they win the game...7/32 is 21.8%!!! That stil sucks! I digress.

Another problem with that one certain poster is you will NEVER see him mention no WCS in 2014, or no Poy in 2015. Hell, I am going to throw out Kanter in 2011 as well...as the injustice the NCAA laid down on UK and Kanter that year clearly cost UK in the regular season and with Kanter they may have won the title. I am going to close by saying that yes, I think UK should have at least one more title in Cal's tenure. That said, luck did not go UK's way in the WVU game, or the Wisconsin game, but UK also has had luck in games it has won in the NCAA under Cal. That is March Madness. It is hard to win a title in this current format. In the old days Cal would have had AD, TJ, Teague, Lamb, Wiltjer, and MKG back in 2013...UK would have still added a couple frosh for depth and UK would have went 40-0 (Lock IMO) and won the national title. Unfortunately, with the large turnover in the roster every season stuff like that is not going to happen. I expect UK to make it to the Final Four again this coming season...but I'll admit that once they get there I have no idea what will happen.

A suggestion, just post that you don't like Cal. No apology and no long winded explanation of your side of the story.

We see you posted and immediately we get it. You're eaten up with envy. Stat, we go to the next post below.

Last edited:
If he has the fastest car in the race and he's only winning 1 out of every 6?

What if he built the fastest car with his bare hands using all the same equipment everyone else had?

But in reality, that's still a stupid comparison. I can definitely see the argument that we had the "best" team 3 out of the 6 years, although 2010 KU was the overall number 1 team. If you actually go by the rankings we had the best team going into the tournament 2 out of the 6 years. And we won a championship one of those years. But how can you argue we had the best team 6 out of 6 years? I mean honestly what are you talking about? No way in hell did we have the best or most talented team Brandon Knights year when we were a 4 seed. Definitely not the best team two years ago when we were an 8 seed. I mean your whole argument is literally wrong.

This Cut Nets clown is either just posting to argue or is not very bright.

Cal did a remarkable job getting UK to the Final 4 in both 2011 and 2014. Those were BRUTAL brackets. The only weak year on Cal's resume since 2005 was the 2013 season. That was more a miscalculation on roster building; he left us too thin. Then when Noel got hurt a top 25 team was left in tatters. HAD Nerlens been healthy we were a Sweet 16 team, IMO.

Darryl

Not to be a smart alec but there have only been 5 coaches who have coached 6 consecutive years. That makes Cal middle of the road, right? And don't start the infantile bashing, just thought it was funny. Cal will clear that issue up soon enough.

Reactions: 65pacecar
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT