ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State sues to get out of ACC, marking beginning of end of ACC conference

Ron Mehico

All-American
Jan 4, 2008
I always figured the ACC would be next to fall (although I admit I thought the big 12 would fall before the PAC 12). I always thought the SEC would absorb a Carolina and Virginia school but with Rutgers and USC in the same conference it feels like we’re slowly merging to an AFC/NFC two major conferences thing. Should be interesting to see who SEC takes - Duke might be left SOL

FSU Suing to Leave ACC

16 is not where this stops. Not sure what the number is. Big 10 is at 18 and will certainly be looking to add more. I don’t think the SEC will have panic additions, although I feel like Missouri was that a bit, even if I thought they were a good addition. UNC and VA Tech seem like the obvious additions. Will the SEC fall behind if they aren’t willing to move outside of the regional footprint or add schools that may be in the same market as ones already there? Duke doesn’t make any sense. But beyond UNC and VA Tech, the additions that make the most sense are Notre Dame, Arizona, and as bad as I hate to say it, maybe Kansas. All assuming Clemson and FSU are off the table.

If the ACC implodes, I can see Duke going the UConn route of independent in football and joining its sports to the Big East.

Swap Virginia with Virginia Tech.
This. Anyone familiar with the fan demographic of Virginia knows VT is the states school. They view UVA as rich kids and North East elites (think Duke). Tech has the hold of the DMC/DC Tv Market, large fanbase that is spread around nationally due to the military aspect, and is the only other major university (not Citadel/VMI size that has a Corps of Cadets the same at Texas AM.

They are the cultural fit and the smarter tv market fit. And Blacksburg is really close to EKY so it’s a easy road trip

All of the people on here advocating for North Carolina at Chapel Hill to join the SEC MUST be under 35 years old. If you had witnessed the holier than thou condescending squeaky clean cheaters over the years with their Carolina Way b—-sh—t they would be the last team in the ACC you would want. The three that best fit the “land grant” that most of the SEC schools fit would be Virginia Tech, NC State, and Clemson. If you want to add a private, Wake Forest.

Like others have said just because they are suing doesn't mean a thing. A group of lawyers from 6 different schools have been looking for ways to break the GoR for a little over 2 years. All of them have come away with the same opinion It's ironclad. This is a hail mary by Florida St. Anything is possible but it's unlikely to lead to anything other than the courts telling them to pay the 150 million if they want out.

I just hope I live to see the day when The Metro, otherwise known as “America’s Conference,” is revitalized and we see the Louisville Cardinals and Memphis Tigers return to their rightful place atop the throne of all college sports.

This is my Christmas wish.

This. Anyone familiar with the fan demographic of Virginia knows VT is the states school. They view UVA as rich kids and North East elites (think Duke). Tech has the hold of the DMC/DC Tv Market, large fanbase that is spread around nationally due to the military aspect, and is the only other major university (not Citadel/VMI size that has a Corps of Cadets the same at Texas AM.

They are the cultural fit and the smarter tv market fit. And Blacksburg is really close to EKY so it’s a easy road trip
UVA is a Vandy on steroids, great basketball program and nothing else that matters. Historically one of the weakest football programs next to Indiana

Miami Duke Virginia to Big 12 or Big East SEC should have added Arizona to get that market out West

It will be hilarious to see ESPN twist itself into knots having to support SEC basketball programs once the ACC is no more.

The graphics showing SEC regular season and tournament titles with UNC at the very bottom below South Carolina and Vanderbilt will be particularly satisfying.

Carolina fans would be sooooo pissed to join the SEC, the conference they have looked down on for decades
Not at all. They want the SEC from what I've seen. Just not sure what thier administration is thinking.

the movement of schools like Virginia Tech or FSU to the SEC will make it more difficult for the football program. it already has. For the next two years six of the twelve will be the six highest ranked conference champs and one selection from Group of five. Notre Dame remains independen. I’ll bet that the SEC receives no more than two slots due to beating each other up. There was no undefeated team this year and will get more difficult if we keep bringing in football powers. Not only does it make it more difficult for SEC teams but makes it easier for the others. The powers that be have been looking for reasons to diminish the SEC.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
Don't see FSU's lawsuit going very far. They willingly signed that GoR deal and i can see a judge tossing the whole suit out almost before the ink is wet on the paperwork.
Part of me wants to see every program in the ACC be miserable till 2036. They've collectively looked down on the SEC for years and now that the landscape of college athletics is changing, they are at risk of being left outside looking in.
Somewhat satisfying.

maybe the young ones
No, many of the old guards too. They are arrogant, not dumb.

They see how things are going down and don't want to be screwed on the outside looking in. I lived in NC for 30 years until 2 years ago. Know a lot of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT