ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson sues ACC to get out

What other choice do they have at this point? The ACC's days are numbered and anyone who can leave the ship is about to do so.

Reactions: drawing_dead
They all thought they were so smart signing that thing in 2016 that goes through 2036. It's only a matter of time before this all blows up. Some of these schools will be just fine. Others will end up right where Washington State and Oregon State are now. UL might be looking to join their 6th conference since the mid 90's.

As i posted in the Dennis Dodd thread about this, the ESPN ACC contract to 2036 can be killed by ESPN. They can announce Jan 2025 it will be terminated after 2027 season.

Why would ESPN kill it? to stop FSU (and now Clemson) from successfully suing to get out, and being grabbed by Big 10 & Fox tv. ESPN will merge the best ACC football schools into the SEC, to keep them on their TV and not Fox (+CBS & NBC)

The era of CFB being 2 Superleagues will be here before you know it.

Clemson and FSU were both happy and laughing at the SEC and Big with the conference schedules both conferences had to play to get to the playoffs and BCS back in the day with their 1 game season when the payoffs were relatively even. Now that the payoffs are miles apart, they are crying foul. I hope they get out and neither of the 2 big dogs throw them a line, let them become Western Carolina and Florida Atlantic.

Clemson and FSU were both happy and laughing at the SEC and Big with the conference schedules both conferences had to play to get to the playoffs and BCS back in the day with their 1 game season when the payoffs were relatively even. Now that the payoffs are miles apart, they are crying foul. I hope they get out and neither of the 2 big dogs throw them a line, let them become Western Carolina and Florida Atlantic.
If they join either the SEC it’s still going to be tough to make it into the expanded playoffs unless 9-3 teams qualify. Then again, with two super conferences it’s likely that a couple of those 9-3 teams still get in if the committee does their job properly. I’d love to see both in the SEC so they can get a dose of what they were laughing about no too long ago.

ESPN will take Miami, Clemson, FSU, and either VA Tech or UNC. The B10 will grab the loser of the UNC/VT battle, Pitt, and NC State (maybe UVA). Everyone else will be in the BIG XII or the AAC.

Seeing UL being permanently demoted, have their AD budget destroyed, and relegated to the new FCS will be the only good thing to come out of this

Obviously they are hoping they'll get a favorable ruling in their own state and can use that as leverage. Basically judge shopping.

ESPN will take Miami, Clemson, FSU, and either VA Tech or UNC. The B10 will grab the loser of the UNC/VT battle, Pitt, and NC State (maybe UVA). Everyone else will be in the BIG XII or the AAC.

Seeing UL being permanently demoted, have their AD budget destroyed, and relegated to the new FCS will be the only good thing to come out of this
I think in a scenario where the ACC dissolves, Louisville probably ends up in the Big 12. West Virginia and Cincy need nearby teams to play in that conference.

I can also see a reformation of elements of the Big East with Syracuse and Boston College heading there. In football they'd probably end up joining something like the AAC as affiliate members or something. Maybe even do something radical like join the MAC or Conference USA, if they'll be accepted as football only while their basketball can be in a better conference.

Reactions: ganner918
I think in a scenario where the ACC dissolves, Louisville probably ends up in the Big 12. West Virginia and Cincy need nearby teams to play in that conference.
Probably right, but if everything else happens, the Big XII won’t be much better than the AAC at that point

Probably right, but if everything else happens, the Big XII won’t be much better than the AAC at that point
Also, the Big 12 is already at, what, 16 members starting next year? Makes one wonder how much room will exist in the inn for castaways from a destroyed ACC.

I think it's also going to cause some schools to have to make some hard decisions on how much they value basketball over football. Like, if you are Duke, do you make a play to go to the Big East if the SEC and Big 10 don't want you and just let football flounder as an independent? That's a sacrifice that UConn was willing to make (and one that I actually respect them a lot for) and it's paid off for their basketball program over the last few seasons as it was dying on the vine in the AAC.

As i posted in the Dennis Dodd thread about this, the ESPN ACC contract to 2036 can be killed by ESPN. They can announce Jan 2025 it will be terminated after 2027 season.

Why would ESPN kill it? to stop FSU (and now Clemson) from successfully suing to get out, and being grabbed by Big 10 & Fox tv. ESPN will merge the best ACC football schools into the SEC, to keep them on their TV and not Fox (+CBS & NBC)

Well said. I have been saying this for awhile. The ESPN is not going to let the top commodities in the ACC just waltz off to the BIG if they can help it.

Reactions: JHB4UK
If they join either the SEC it’s still going to be tough to make it into the expanded playoffs unless 9-3 teams qualify. Then again, with two super conferences it’s likely that a couple of those 9-3 teams still get in if the committee does their job properly. I’d love to see both in the SEC so they can get a dose of what they were laughing about no too long ago.

I think both ultimately end up in the SEC, not sure but don't think either hits the requirement academically the Big wants, almost certain FSU doesn't and don't think CU does. With that said, I think the Big will go after Virginia, and probably UNC. Think Duke and Wake will get left behind and we likely grab State. Those are just guesses so don't lay any cash down on it being right.

They all thought they were so smart signing that thing in 2016 that goes through 2036. It's only a matter of time before this all blows up. Some of these schools will be just fine. Others will end up right where Washington State and Oregon State are now. UL might be looking to join their 6th conference since the mid 90's.
At this point will the Conference USA even take them back?

Didn’t ESPN just sign like a $7B contract?
For the CFB playoffs, and I don't think it is fully finished yet. Details pretty much agreed on, goes to 14 in 2026, SEC & Big 10 each get 29% of the $$, Big 12 & ACC get less.

For the CFB playoffs, and I don't think it is fully finished yet. Details pretty much agreed on, goes to 14 in 2026, SEC & Big 10 each get 29% of the $$, Big 12 & ACC get less.
I’m sure there has to be some percentage for the G5s and ND. So the rest have to split up 42% of the pie. That’s significantly less than the SEC and BIG!

Suing themselves over a contract to which they agreed? Lol
TBF, this is a lawsuit designed specifically to get a declaratory judgement. They aren't suing to get out of the ACC GoR deal. They are suing to force a judge to declare specifically what their rights are and to codify an interpretation of the agreement. It's a no lose situation. They either get a judge to agree with them on some level, thus giving them leverage in the upcoming negotiations or the judge says it worst case scenario which means status quo.

Reactions: Girthang
Only a matter of time until the ACC folks or at best becomes a shell of itself. I miss how things you used to be with the conferences, but we're on an obvious path of huge super-conferences in the near future.

I’m sure there has to be some percentage for the G5s and ND. So the rest have to split up 42% of the pie. That’s significantly less than the SEC and BIG!

The plan I saw that was voted on and accepted was Big and SEC each get 29% plus 3 teams in playoffs, ACC and BIG12 each get 16% and 2 teams in and the group of 5 and ND split the remaining 10% with group getting 1 team in, ND in if top 14 with 2, maybe 3 wildcard teams depending on ND. If 2 group teams in top 14 I suppose group could get 2 teams In.

Let’s see. Missouri Valley, Metro, Conference USA, AAC, ACC - that’s a lot of t-shirts.

Go to. the SEC where they will have to sign their GOR away. LOL at how fraudulent these programs are. ESPN has a contract and no incentive to let them out of their agreement.

I think both ultimately end up in the SEC, not sure but don't think either hits the requirement academically the Big wants, almost certain FSU doesn't and don't think CU does. With that said, I think the Big will go after Virginia, and probably UNC. Think Duke and Wake will get left behind and we likely grab State. Those are just guesses so don't lay any cash down on it being right.
B1G wants all their members to be in the AAU. NC & VA are. C & FSU are not. Neither is NCS. So makes sense.

I have always thought we would end up with 3 twenty team conferences.
Big 10
Notre dame
Miami
Sec
North Carolina
Virginia
Florida state
Clemson
Big 12
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Virginia tech
North Carolina state

I think the acc remains but as a shell of its former self, picking up
Uconn
South Florida
Memphis
Tulane
Washington state
Oregon state

If the BigTen has academic requirements, then it's Duke and Wake Forest (maybe GTech) to that conference. It sure isn't UNC or FSU. Clemson and Virginia are pretty good academically, but I know little about NCSt in that regard.

If the BigTen has academic requirements, then it's Duke and Wake Forest (maybe GTech) to that conference. It sure isn't UNC or FSU. Clemson and Virginia are pretty good academically, but I know little about NCSt in that regard.

UNC, Duke and UVa are AAU Members .. Clemson, NC State and NC State are not … current ACC Schools that are AAU Members are Georgia Tech, Miami, Cal, Notre Dame -(All Sports except Football) and Stanford

What other choice do they have at this point? The ACC's days are numbered and anyone who can leave the ship is about to do so.
When that report came out that the playoff was going to give more money to the SEC and BIG-10 I had a feeling that would lead to several schools being added to FSU bailing out of the ACC. The ACC apparently sat idly by while this deal took place. So it the ACC is not going to defend the schools who make the conference go, and muddy the waters with 3 ridiculous additions that adds nothing to the conference, that should make that ridiculous contract null and void...😣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT