ADVERTISEMENT

Film Fans - Greatest Movies

Just finished watching 2001: A Spacy Odyssey for the first time. If someone would care to explain that to me, it would be much appreciated

Reactions: christophero
Just finished watching 2001: A Spacy Odyssey for the first time. If someone would care to explain that to me, it would be much appreciated
Evolution of man through time. At the end he becomes pure conciousness and is reborn. Or something.

You like a lot of my favorites. Let me recommend 20th Century with Carole Lombard and John Barrymore. And The More the Merrier with Jean Arthur and Joel McCrea. And (almost) any of the Preston Sturges movies from the 40s.
All great recommendations. "The Lady Eve" with Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda is hysterical. For someone into classic films, I recommend a subscription to The Criterion Collection streaming service.

Random question... What is your favorite Nicolas Cage movie?
8MM and Lord of War.

- love the sleaziness of 8MM with great performances by Joaquin Phoenix and James Gandolfini
- as Yuri in Lord of War, he knows he's awful; that selling those weapons will kill men, women, and children soon after the deal is made. He's just got one goal though: money. The character finds out he's actually great at something, and it's being an international arms dealer. Just a crazy story.

All great recommendations. "The Lady Eve" with Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda is hysterical. For someone into classic films, I recommend a subscription to The Criterion Collection streaming serv
My wife's favorites are Wuthering Heights and I Remember Mama. I have to admit. I love the classics. It Happened One Night was ahead of its time for a movie made nearly 90 years ago. Freaks was released in 1932 and is still disturbing.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Dr Strangelove
Lonesome Dove (i know, it’s a tv movie)
Gone With the Wind
Unforgiven
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Cool Hand Luke
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Band of Brothers (i know)
The Grapes of Wrath
I like this list.....

Lonesome Dove is my favorite and it's not close.

Off the top of my head:
Lonesome Dove
It's A Wonderful Life
The Searchers
Shane
Goodfellas
Godfather (I & II)
Going My Way
A Wizard of Oz
The Grapes of Wrath
On Golden Pond
As Good As it Gets
Unforgiven
The Buddy Holly Story
The Shawshank Redemption

The ending is a mind bender for sure. I remember being profoundly impacted after my first watch. You can find some great reads simply searching “2001 Space Odyssey ending explained.”

The Food of the Gods 😁​

I remember that trailer but for some reason never watched it. My buddies and I would go to the horror section and pick out random movies we never heard of and they all sucked for the most part. Some movies whose cover looked good but the movie sucked were "classics" such as these: Death Warmed Up, Shriek of the Mutilated, and Creature. Ones that hit the mark and turnee into horror faves: From Beyond, Re-Animator 1 & 2, Return of the Living Dead, and Of Unknown Origin.

Watched Nope and thought it was really good. Definite Spielberg influence but it's a strange movie. Close Encounters, and also Jaws, the way the ship hides in the clouds and is only occasionally seen.

Reactions: point1zero
District 9. One of the best sci-fi movies ever made. There was supposedly a sequel in the works but haven't heard anything about it in years.

Reactions: christophero
Random question... What is your favorite Nicolas Cage movie?
The movie he did about himself with Pedro pascal was fn great. Nic cage has some great movies 8mm; face off, on and on but he he unbearable weight of massive talent is right up there maybe the best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT