ADVERTISEMENT

Feels like 2011

Mdnerd

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2022
That team also had 8 losses and just couldn’t seem to come together all season despite all of the talent. Then with 6 or 7 games left in the season it all came together and they marched to an SEC tourney title and final 4.

I feel this team is more talented with a much higher upside. The trajectory of these 2 teams at this point is almost identical.

I love the run we were able to go on in 2011.. but I also feel we just got a bit lucky (just like more recent runs, we were unlucky). Could have, and maybe should have been knocked out by Princeton in the 1st round. That team also had a much easier SEC to deal with.

I agree, it feels like both are peaking, and both have gotten better. But if these two teams played each other, this team is shelling that team.

Reactions: Mdnerd
We’re absolutely peaking at the right time, last team peaking like this was 2017. Got a great feeling about the postseason this year. I LIKE MY TEAM

Reactions: phunterd
In more recent times, it feels similar to 2019 as well. I really wish Covid didn’t shut that season down
That tournament was shaping up to be so fun. I really wanted to see that Dayton team in the tournament. The final top 10 had Dayton, Florida St., SDSU, and Creighton. That tournament would have had a lot of non-traditional teams with high seeds and it would have been cool to see it all shake out.

Reactions: Rockfly78
I love the run we were able to go on in 2011.. but I also feel we just got a bit lucky (just like more recent runs, we were unlucky). Could have, and maybe should have been knocked out by Princeton in the 1st round. That team also had a much easier SEC to deal with.

I agree, it feels like both are peaking, and both have gotten better. But if these two teams played each other, this team is shelling that team.
I agree this team is better than that one, just had the same feel. I distinctly remember watching the last 5 or 6 games and thinking things suddenly felt different. This team has done the same.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
This is exactly what I told a buddy the other day.

Finish the season on a roll.

Beat a good UT on their home floor to close the season.

Head to SEC as the #2 seed.

This team has similarities. Knight and Lamb and Miller were so good on perimeter. I wish we had a player like Jones down low though and a lockdown like Liggins.

Hopefully these guys can make a run like they did.

2011 couldn’t win a road game. They were winless in conference on the road, IIRC. This team on the other hand is very good away from home.

2011 couldn’t win a road game. They were winless in conference on the road, IIRC. This team on the other hand is very good away from home.

They won their last game at UT, started clicking at the right time. Just like this group.

We’re absolutely peaking at the right time, last team peaking like this was 2017. Got a great feeling about the postseason this year. I LIKE MY TEAM

I’ve been extremely down on Cal and for good reason. As I said in another thread, I think he found lightning in a bottle once again with this group.

I’m not a gambler at all, but I put down a decent amount for the MSU game and put a ton down yesterday for a straight win and even more taking the points. I think Vegas is WAYYY behind figuring out the current state of this team. Many “experts” are as well.

The 2011 team lost six SEC games on the road, including a buzzer beater at Ole Miss and several other close road losses. (Undefeated at home).

The 2011 team closed the season as solid underdogs in Knoxville and nobody gave them much of a chance. We won 64-58, and went on to win the SECT as the 2-seed and make the FF. I think that’s where the similarities are being drawn from.

The differences are this team is more talented and much deeper than 2011, and this UT team is lightyears better than the 2011 Vols.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT