ADVERTISEMENT

Emmert Sticking to The UNC Scandal as an Academic Issue

This is exactly why I've been pushing to wait until the NCAA rules and the facts come out, rather than basing comments off of embellished info put out by message boards and ill-informed media. When you get into the specifics related to the Men's basketball team, there's little that goes against the NCAA rules. I'm sure I'm going to take a bunch of shots from people here, once again, but just wait and see who's correct. Also, why would NCAA choose to ignore any violations right now? They're under a big microscope and any missteps would be serious trouble for them. No, they're going to take this by-the-book and imo not much is going to happen to the Men's basketball team because they didn't break any (major) rules...at least there's been no proof to surface yet that they did break any.

Crooks^ Corrupt^ Completely without Ethics^

This is exactly why I've been pushing to wait until the NCAA rules and the facts come out, rather than basing comments off of embellished info put out by message boards and ill-informed media. When you get into the specifics related to the Men's basketball team, there's little that goes against the NCAA rules. I'm sure I'm going to take a bunch of shots from people here, once again, but just wait and see who's correct. Also, why would NCAA choose to ignore any violations right now? They're under a big microscope and any missteps would be serious trouble for them. No, they're going to take this by-the-book and imo not much is going to happen to the Men's basketball team because they didn't break any (major) rules...at least there's been no proof to surface yet that they did break any.

Good Lord you Tar Hole fans are so deep in delusion I think you are starting to believe your own BS. Fake classes in order to keep athletes eligible is not defensible. And there is ZERO ambiguity about that. It happened. Repeatedly. For years. Stop trying to convince people you guys didn't break any rules. And pointing to whether the NCAA hammers you or not is convenient since both you and Duke are the protected teacher's pets of the NCAA. I'm sure none of you were crying about Lance Thomas getting away with what he did right?

Reactions: Brando Mac
I'll be very surprised if anything worth mentioning ever happens to UNC even though they have apparently cheated for years and years. UNC has lots of alumni in high places and that is P-O-W-E-R. They are not saying or admitting anything. Silence is golden especially in this case. Too bad. The NCAA is so corrupt. Sad.

So, the UNCheat football program was just falling on the sword for the basketball program? The NCAA charged them with academic fraud and failure to monitor their program...

I don't understand how the similarities between the two programs can now be overlooked and considered outside of the NCAA's jurisdiction.

woodencheater got by with his CHEATING for a decade---unccheaters expect the same result for their 2 decades of cheating.

ncaa and media aide and abet both travesties.

rr

Jay Bilas is widely considered to be the best analyst in CBB imo. Has he not weighed in on this matter? If not, how in the world does this insanely blatant situation not getting every ounce of media attention. If this happened at Kansas or Kentucky we would hear the pope chime in on it and both schools would have the NCAA bible thrown at them within a month. Geezis Christ-----Eric Bledsoe received 10 times the media coverage for doing nothing wrong and UNC can have an entire ADept blatantly cheat, cover it up, get exposed with mountains of evidence, and be served with zero penalties. How in the GD world is it "academic" when it takes academics to be eligible to play sports.

The only ESPN guy doing anything at all about this is Bob Ley and he's been there so long the UNCheat alumnus President can't really touch him without blowing his paper-thin cover.

Only one thing is for certain Bobby boy, UNC is lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut. Your beloved school cheated thousands out of an education and you have spent millions to cover it up. Regardless of the decision your beloved Carolina way is revealed, you will forever be branded as UNCHEAT. Get used to it, it won't go away anytime soon.

Reactions: SosaUK
Aren't high school SAT exams an academic issue? The NCAA had no problem throwing it's weight around with that academic issue.

no026.gif

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen. Selective Enforcement has become the modus operandi for only oh, 40 years now.

If UNC goes unpunished, the 4 super conferences will/should separate themselves from the NCAA and run themselves and with football being the real golden goose, the NCAA will go bust. Without those 64 teams, any tournament, bowl, or any national title becomes a joke.

The more I read and hear about this the more I have to agree that nothing will happen to UNC . Pretty much a sham and we all know we would have already been hit hard by NCAA if it had been UK in this situation. No doubt in my mind about that.

Unfortunately, I believe you are correct. A couple of us, I know, have long felt nothing would happen to unc** - and comments like Emmert's seem to confirm it.

I hoped something would happen. If nothing did then it is a shining example of how college athletics work and the status quo for those with power and money. UNC*** knows history is what matters. The NCAA and UNC*** cover up of this allows those tarnished banners to keep flying and no one will know any better in 20 years unless they happen upon one of the books or one of those of us who know better.

The pathetic UNC*** fans like Bobby/Jiggletooth can jump for joy all they want but they are just sad and pathetic. I am glad I am not a UNC*** fan.

Here's to watching the UNC program continue to suffer with recruiting. I'll accept UNC suffering with one incoming 3 star this year.

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen. Selective Enforcement has become the modus operandi for only oh, 40 years now.
Emmert is one of those people that make you marvel as to how he can hold his position(think Doug Gottlieb) I don't believe there is anyone who doesn't realize that the NCAA is a very corrupt organization and yet nothing is done about it and his job as far as I know has neve been in jeopardy.

I think the cheats are going to get punished but the ncaa is trying to do everything to keep the tarholes from getting the death penalty. The AFAM scandal had athletes in 7 sports and went for 23 years.

Emmert is a clown and so is the ncaa. Before cable, the ncaa determined which college football team were shown on tv. It is also the ncaa that sets up march madness. Teams are put in brackets for TV ratings. Favorite teams play close to home. The committee should seed teams only and then use ping pong balls to determine who plays whom like they do in the world cup or nba lottery. It is bad enough that the referees are terrible and are biased but just sick of seeing cake walks for media darlings. GBB

the bottom line is UNC played athletes that were ineligible.

there is no arguing that - regardless if its an academic or athletic issue.

The NCAA has a precedent setting history of punishing schools who play ineligible players.

Whether Derrick Rose cheated or someone else cheated for him is irrelevant, he was an ineligible player.

Carolina has many, many Derrick Roses in their closet.

Emmert is disqualifying himself from his position with these tweets. He, blatantly, is ignoring well established proven connections between UNC athletics and this cheating scandal. The scandal itself is all about keeping athletes eligible. For it to be this late in the process and for him to be making these kinds of remarks show that all the member institutions should immediately demand his firing before he allows UNC to escape unpunished.

Right now, today, every NCAA member institution should be demanding this incompetent imbecile be fired immediately. How they sit by and allow this kind of blatant whitewashing is beyond understanding.

And these things have been said a thousand times before. Emmert has indicated nothing will be done to UNC on multiple occasions and the member schools are perfectly fine with that - including KENTUCKY. Express your outrage and then howl at the moon, but nothing is about to change..

Some of us have been saying that very little will be done too UNC*** because they are UNC***. It is just the way the world is today. They will not loose any titles nor will wins be taken away. Again this is just the way the world is.

Emmert is one of those people that make you marvel as to how he can hold his position(think Doug Gottlieb) I don't believe there is anyone who doesn't realize that the NCAA is a very corrupt organization and yet nothing is done about it and his job as far as I know has neve been in jeopardy.

Yeah but I've invested long enough to know the club's he belongs to welcome the monopoly, the competitive advantage and the ability to raise prices from a business perspective. The status quo is not only their friend but a way of life in an earnings growth point of view.

What has he ever done to make us believe that money isn't the primary motivating factor?

The NCAA is nothing more than a non-profit ran as a conglomerate.

In full disclosure, I own shares in a company that Emmert has a position on the board. Weyerhaeuser.

Can't beat 'em, join 'em. :rolleyes:

So how is this much different than Derrick Rose situation? It was an academic issue that the NCAA even cleared him

This whole issue around UNC, classes without apparent accreditation and questionable institutional oversight is starting to smell like yesterday's regurgitated lunch (and we all know what that is). I don't buy into the media conspiracy and NCAA blatant favoritism theories. Naw, someone has Emmert by the legal shorthairs and is pulling so hard that he is willing to throw the integrity of his institution and its members under the bus. Further, I think that same someone (or thing) has most in the media by those same body parts and is either kicking or pulling with equal fervor. That someone (wink wink, nudge nudge) also has some impressively deep pockets.

The media is the most transparent part of this. They are like sharks. They might protect their young, biting and ripping all threats. However, you put blood in the water and they'll eat those same young every single time. They can't help it. There IS blood in the water. Somebody has been pulling teeth.

Then there is Emmert. Let say, for sake of conversation, he is correct, this is an academic matter. Well, ok, the recourse is simple. Who (athletes) took those unaccredited classes. Which of those were academically ineligible through not having enough accredited hours. Of those, what sports did they play and which games did they play in? Then you forfeit those games. Its so simple that we can't even call it math, just a bit of arithmetic. Forfeit games, forfeit championships, integrity restored, punishment is consistent with the crime and everyone is happy. But this is not happening. Why? Those short hairs, they really hurt.

Sharks, the meat is in the water. There isn't enough bang sticks for all of you. FEED! We're talking filet here.

the bottom line is UNC played athletes that were ineligible.

there is no arguing that - regardless if its an academic or athletic issue.

The NCAA has a precedent setting history of punishing schools who play ineligible players.

Whether Derrick Rose cheated or someone else cheated for him is irrelevant, he was an ineligible player.

Carolina has many, many Derrick Roses in their closet.

Really? Tell us the name of one such player and explain how that player was ineligible.

Really? Tell us the name of one such player and explain how that player was ineligible.

McCants. Admitted he never went to a single class for a whole semester, and didn't do the work that was submitted in his fake classes. Also, Julius Pepper's transcript was leaked and he couldn't have been eligible to graduate middle school without fake classes. Why do you submit yourself to embarrassment by trying to defend your thoroughly corrupt "institution of higher learning"?

McCants. Admitted he never went to a single class for a whole semester, and didn't do the work that was submitted in his fake classes. Also, Julius Pepper's transcript was leaked and he couldn't have been eligible to graduate middle school without fake classes. Why do you submit yourself to embarrassment by trying to defend your thoroughly corrupt "institution of higher learning"?

McCant's said he didn't go to any of his classes during his last semester there. So, even if you retroactively give him all Fs for that semester it would only make him ineligible for the fall semester when he was playing in the NBA.

Where does it say Peppers' was ineligible?

McCant's said he didn't go to any of his classes during his last semester there. So, even if you retroactively give him all Fs for that semester it would only make him ineligible for the fall semester when he was playing in the NBA.

Where does it say Peppers' was ineligible?

Dude, you take dumb to a new level don't you? He WOULD have been ineligible without the fake classes. Is your father Bagdad Bob?

Bobby, that's an outstanding question you've asked. UNC can answer that for you. They know exactly what classes they offered that were fraudulently portrayed as accredited to those athletes. They know what athletes took them. They know what sports they played. They know which contests they participated in. They know which contests they should forfeit and what championships should be vacated. If the "North Carolina way" includes ANY academic integrity, they will compile that data, forfeit those contests and offer those students an opportunity to take legitimate classes (assuming such are offered) so that they might complete their degree.

Anyone holding your breath while waiting for this to happen, please resume respirations or call emergency services before you lose consciousness.

Amazing. And the UNCheat fans are actually try to sell this crap, too. This gary nutjob at the UNCheat board is something else. You can pretty much see the smoke rolling out of his ears through his enraged posts. He says the "scandal" is in NO way related to the athletic dept. and therefore nothing can be done. And that if the NCAA tries to implement some sort of punishment UNC will "sue their pants off. LOLLL. Well let's see, gary. IF these paper classless were used for the purpose of keeping certain players academically eligible then I would say it DOES involve the athletic dept. Just amazing.

I guess I am dumb, please explain how he was ineligible.

I agree with the dumb as you guess you are lil Bobbytrickle.
Only one thing is for certain Bobby boy, UNC is lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut. Your beloved school cheated thousands out of an education and you have spent millions to cover it up. Regardless of the decision your beloved Carolina way is revealed, you will forever be branded as UNCHEAT. Get used to it, it won't go away anytime soon.

It doesn't matter if the fraudulent classes were set up by the athletic department or only by the academic side of things without the knowledge of anyone on the athletic side (and I honestly can't believe some, including the freaking NCAA President, actually have the balls to try and use that as their argument as to why UNC should skirt by on this), the fact remains that players on multiple athletic teams were among those who benefited from this scam and it was the only reason they remained eligible to play sports. This wasn't just cheating on one test or on some papers (things that have gotten players on many other teams kicked out of school and their schools in trouble), these were fake courses set-up each semester carried out for years. The media loves to get on their soap box and scream about how OAD's are not real "student-athletes", especially if they decided to play for UK. Well, I would counter that if they want to see a picture of someone that has made a total mockery of the term "student-athletes", look no further than their precious UNC.

Emmert and his supporters in the media/other fanbases (including UNC) argued that having no knowledge of what happened with Rose's test scores was no excuse for Calipari and Memphis, so ignorance should be no excuse for Roy and North Carolina in this case as well.

Brando, ignorance is no excuse except for Duke and UNCheat. I don't know how anyone in the media sleeps without exposing that. Journalism is all about exposing stories regardless of whose ox is being gored.

Reactions: Brando Mac
All you got to do is have unc release every basketball players transcripts from 1988- 2011. Pretty simple have to maintain a certain gpa to qualify. Fake classes do not count. Even unc admitted the classes were fake. What is it that you do not see?

So how is this much different than Derrick Rose situation? It was an academic issue that the NCAA even cleared him

The ETS threw out Rose's SAT after he and Memphis both failed to respond to their requests, the NCAA warned Memphis and Cal that there was trouble surrounding his test and Cal/Memphis played him anyway. This was all spelled out by the moderator Jason S. (I think) some time ago.

Put the 2005 UNC roster up on the wall and throw a dart at it, for starters.

So, I guess that means "well we can't prove anything, but...you know...they must have cheated". Sure sounds like a hater to me. I guess we'll just have to wait until the ruling comes out so we can see who's been embellishing the situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT