ADVERTISEMENT

Emmert Sticking to The UNC Scandal as an Academic Issue

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
This is a tweet from a SU guy.

chris carlson@ccarlsononSU · 1h1 hour ago
Emmert on Syracuse case: Different from UNC because it was case of athletic dept officials contributing to cheating. "In NCAA's wheelhouse."

do huh, what? Not started in the athletic dept? ummm, yeah, it's even more an athletic problem at unc than Syracuse.

Funny how NCAA is so flexible with "lack of institutional control".

Reactions: IdaCat
Was Wayne Walden not a member of the UNC athletic dept.? I believe there was an attachment in the Wainstein Report that showed an email from Walden to Crowder asking for her to get a basketball player transferred into an AFAM class and out of a class he was failing.

I keep saying nothing is going to happen to precious UNC just like nothing ever happens to Duke. Both schools cheat like hell and get away with it, nothing will ever change.

Emmert is a joke, but has anyone actually been expecting this turd in the punch bowl of college athletics to make a fair and just ruling?

I wish that I was even remotely surprised by his stance. It's time for the University presidents to band together and throw the entire NCAA out on their ass. So sick of their hypocritical rulings and double-standards. If it was UK that had committed the greatest act of academic fraud in history in order to keep our athletes eligible, our program would be shutdown for eternity and there would be a public flogging of Cal with Digger Phelps, Bobby Knight and Jim Spanarkle doing commentary.

Emmert is disqualifying himself from his position with these tweets. He, blatantly, is ignoring well established proven connections between UNC athletics and this cheating scandal. The scandal itself is all about keeping athletes eligible. For it to be this late in the process and for him to be making these kinds of remarks show that all the member institutions should immediately demand his firing before he allows UNC to escape unpunished.

Right now, today, every NCAA member institution should be demanding this incompetent imbecile be fired immediately. How they sit by and allow this kind of blatant whitewashing is beyond understanding.

Also, more troubling and more telling, where are the so-called sports "journalists" calling out this utter nonsense? Emmert should be eviscerated in the media over this yet the ESPN lapdogs will not even mention it I wager.

Then why does the NCAA even care if an athlete is eligible or not? If it's 'academic' and not sports related then why even have the NCAA?

Bingo!! Emmert has just stated a precedent that if NCAA athletes cheat on exams, they will not be punished by the NCAA. That would be an academic issue.

Reactions: CatNChucktown
Then why does the NCAA even care if an athlete is eligible or not? If it's 'academic' and not sports related then why even have the NCAA?

That's a really good question that none of the usual suspects in the media will ask because they're too busy launching investigations that they hope will lead to the NCAA dropping the hammer on UK.

This is an academic scandal that athletes benefited from, therefore it's both an academic AND athletic issue. If this isn't a problem, then why even have eligibility standards in the first place? Why shouldn't other schools be allowed to set-up a similar operation to what went on at North Carolina if that isn't punishable according to Emmert and the NCAA? Just get enough non-athletes to enroll in the fake courses and you can argue that they weren't set-up with the intent to keep student-athletes eligible... you know, The Carolina Way!

Last edited:
Emmert is floating trail balloons and he must be thrilled with the results.

And you expect this to open a Pandora's box. You know a smaller school will undoubtedly become a basketball or football juggernaut out of nowhere because they will see this precedence and assume they can get away with it just like UNC.

So why actually send kids to class's instead of making them up and never having a player inelible?!?!?! This truly sickens me even tho I knew nothing would happen! Actually I thought theyd at least get a slap on the wrist!

Also, more troubling and more telling, where are the so-called sports "journalists" calling out this utter nonsense? Emmert should be eviscerated in the media over this yet the ESPN lapdogs will not even mention it I wager.

We all know why ESPN hasn't touched this subject, considering a UNC grad is there President. CNN touched on it a couple of times but didn't dig deep enough. However, where is the New York Times, Sports Illustrated, USA Today, Fox Sports, CBS, NBC, ABC, etc.??

It is truly is amazing how Emmert has down played this whole situation. This is the biggest and most egregious "Lack of institutional control" in the history of the NCAA and Emmert is treating it with kid gloves. It galls my hind end because the NCAA has always stuck it to UK at every opportunity.

RIDICULOUS!!!

By 2020 the NCAA will lose interest in the case and say it was a misunderstanding.

When it comes to UNCheat and Duke, the NCAA works tirelessly to come up with ways that their infractions are "different" and therefore not punishable. It's beyond unfair, it should be criminal.

Last edited:
Aren't high school SAT exams an academic issue? The NCAA had no problem throwing it's weight around with that academic issue.

no026.gif

it's actually worse than hypocrisy. he doesn't even know the facts. and he's the president of the ncaa. wait, what?

Simply incredible how Emmert the dictator is trying to seperate academics and athletics, when the only side that benefits is athletics.
So its okay to give athletes 'A's and put them on honor roll and keep letting Roy roll the ball out there.

Emmert will never publicly hold an PC over this decision.

If I was Memphis, I'd be sending their rendering to the highest court and get our earned monies back from a tournament that took us to the championship game.

If I'm Michigan, I'm flying my banners high and getting our tournament monies back from the governing body that shows complete bias.

If I'm Donnie Tyndall, I'm denying and suing to get my name back:
"A source with direct knowledge told ESPN's Andy Katz that Tyndall will be accused by the NCAA, under the new coach control policy, of financial and academic violations."

If you don't control academics, than why are you accusing anyone of academic violations?

This whole thing stinks to the highest UNC chair.

Reactions: Jkwo
The more I read and hear about this the more I have to agree that nothing will happen to UNC . Pretty much a sham and we all know we would have already been hit hard by NCAA if it had been UK in this situation. No doubt in my mind about that.

and this scandal doesn't happen at unc without an athletic department and sports. they would just ruin their academic rep for nothing. yeah. sorry dr emmert, unc scandal is all for sports. along with benefits, unc athletes received unearned grades. the only reason it was implemented was to win in sports. this is literally common sense. emmert proves his agenda by ignoring the facts.

Reactions: UK till Death
That's a really good question that none of the usual suspects in the media will ask because they're too busy launching investigations that they hope will lead to the NCAA dropping the hammer on UK.

This is an academic scandal that athletes benefited from, therefore it's both an academic AND athletic issue. If this isn't a problem, then why even have eligibility standards in the first place? Why shouldn't other schools be allowed to set-up a similar operation to what went on at North Carolina if that isn't punishable according to Emmert and the NCAA? Just get enough non-athletes to enroll in the fake courses and you can argue that they weren't set-up with the intent to keep student-athletes eligible... you know, The Carolina Way!

I keep saying nothing is going to happen to precious UNC just like nothing ever happens to Duke. Both schools cheat like hell and get away with it, nothing will ever change.

Spot on^^^

I haven't seen such mumbo-jumbo-legalistic-gymnastics since a certain someone wanted to debate what "is" is.

Well stated my friend..that's the issue. If is wasn't UNC, I wonder what the results would be. Ole Roy was quoted saying that he didn't know what classes his players were taking. Yeah right...If that's ok, then UK should have a class at Keenland on para-mutual wagering, and give them money to do the studies.

If UNC is an academic matter, the NCAA then needs to return the Penn State money.

The NCAA really jumped the shark on that one, if a similar standard is applied.

Penn State had more to do with criminal matters, than athletics and education... but that sure didn't stop the NCAA then.

When Eric Manuel cheated on his ACT it was athletic. When a question arose about Rose at Memphis it was athletic... Kanter had money for his education but that was illegal. Thomas buys 100000 in jewelry but that is ok.....and so it goes..but at UNC it is not an athletic issue that all the athletes for the past 20 years got fake degrees and were basically made eligible in fake classes......I am betting that if this were at UK the death penalty would be forth coming....

When Eric Manuel cheated on his ACT it was athletic. When a question arose about Rose at Memphis it was athletic... Kanter had money for his education but that was illegal. Thomas buys 100000 in jewelry but that is ok.....and so it goes..but at UNC it is not an athletic issue that all the athletes for the past 20 years got fake degrees and were basically made eligible in fake classes......I am betting that if this were at UK the death penalty would be forth coming....

Yep. Only difference would be that the NCAA would've handled it 19 years ago in that scenario.

it's not even an academic scandal. it's an academic travesty. it's a sports scandal. that unc wanted so badly to win that they cheat for decades and then try to blame it on the institution and not the athletics department is just wrong on so many levels. whether they are punished or not, they are guilty. there has never been cheating in order to win implemented like this with such a high level of calculated and unethical blatancy. there is no parallel. everyone knows what happened. even the ncaa. even mj. even dick vitale.

they will be punished whether they do anything or not. in fact it already started. we can say what we want and no unc fan is going to come here and say anything. because they know their school cheated in epic fashion. recruits are running the other way now. because chapel hill smells like a giant fish pie. but their sports will go on. apparently they are almost willing to commit murder.

but they lose either way on this one. everyone got a strong whiff. once and for all i'll go on record as others who claim that not only if it was uk, but if this were any other school it would be the death penalty. maybe even worse.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
If you rule out the academic stuff then the free cars, mouth pieces and other benefits are enough to bring down the hammer. That seems to be getting lost in the shuffle of the academic cheating.

Reactions: SosaUK
Simply incredible how Emmert the dictator is trying to seperate academics and athletics, when the only side that benefits is athletics.
So its okay to give athletes 'A's and put them on honor roll and keep letting Roy roll the ball out there.

Emmert will never publicly hold an PC over this decision.

If I was Memphis, I'd be sending their rendering to the highest court and get our earned monies back from a tournament that took us to the championship game.

If I'm Michigan, I'm flying my banners high and getting our tournament monies back from the governing body that shows complete bias.

If I'm Donnie Tyndall, I'm denying and suing to get my name back:
"A source with direct knowledge told ESPN's Andy Katz that Tyndall will be accused by the NCAA, under the new coach control policy, of financial and academic violations."

If you don't control academics, than why are you accusing anyone of academic violations?

This whole thing stinks to the highest UNC chair.

I agree these schools should sue emmert and ncaa

I agree with Emmert. It is an academic issue. NCAA should reconcile which players were academically ineligible. When players were academically ineligible to play, the wins should be vacated.

the largest scandal in NCAA history.

Emmert will be forced out if UNC skates

The NCAA and UNC*** are crooks. Most people don't care because they want to keep living in a fantasy world. This board and a few others are the ones who actually know what has gone on.

At this point the public has such a small attention span that most things like this get lost in the jumble anyway. The UNC*** PR team has counted on that fact. UNC*** recently hired the best attorney available when dealing with the NCAA. UNC*** will hammer on the rule about regular students benefiting and the NCAA will fall in line because they really want to and use that rule as the excuse.

This whole thing is simply an embarrassment and shows that college revenue sports should not be amateur.

This is exactly why I've been pushing to wait until the NCAA rules and the facts come out, rather than basing comments off of embellished info put out by message boards and ill-informed media. When you get into the specifics related to the Men's basketball team, there's little that goes against the NCAA rules. I'm sure I'm going to take a bunch of shots from people here, once again, but just wait and see who's correct. Also, why would NCAA choose to ignore any violations right now? They're under a big microscope and any missteps would be serious trouble for them. No, they're going to take this by-the-book and imo not much is going to happen to the Men's basketball team because they didn't break any (major) rules...at least there's been no proof to surface yet that they did break any.

ADVERTISEMENT