ADVERTISEMENT

Elzy's cats lose again to lsu

jeffky

Sophomore
Sep 22, 2017
I know it's ranked lsu but the last 3 games elzy's cats have been beaten by 96 points 77 to 56 today

Reactions: Fox2monk
As long as she’s not causing trouble, no scandals and the girls like her, I don’t see an issue with her staying. It’s really not a sport a lot of people care about, including myself

If they lose 30 games, no one will really mind. If there’s a scandal, then we’ve got an issue. Just my thoughts

As long as she’s not causing trouble, no scandals and the girls like her, I don’t see an issue with her staying. It’s really not a sport a lot of people care about, including myself

If they lose 30 games, no one will really mind. If there’s a scandal, then we’ve got an issue. Just my thoughts
Problem is some of us do care and some of us want to see the women succeed too. She definitely isn’t the answer the women need on taking that next step she’s actually taking them 100 steps backwards from where Mitchell had them going…

I don't watch women's sports but I still care. She is getting paid millions to do what? If you don't perform or produce results you should be fired. No different than my job and I don't make anywhere what she does.

Problem is some of us do care and some of us want to see the women succeed too. She definitely isn’t the answer the women need on taking that next step she’s actually taking them 100 steps backwards from where Mitchell had them going…

I don't watch women's sports but I still care. She is getting paid millions to do what? If you don't perform or produce results you should be fired. No different than my job and I don't make anywhere what she does.

Imo she’s a diversity hire. I’d rather do diversity hires in sports that no one cares about rather than boys basketball and football. In a perfect world, we’d get the best hire at every job but it doesn’t always work like that.

So in essence, fill the diversity requirements with lesser positions and hire the best of the best in sports people care about (whether they be white or black or man or female)

Again, I have a unique perspective but I know how university hiring works

Imo she’s a diversity hire. I’d rather do diversity hires in sports that no one cares about rather than boys basketball and football. In a perfect world, we’d get the best hire at every job but it doesn’t always work like that.

So in essence, fill the diversity requirements with lesser positions and hire the best of the best in sports people care about (whether they be white or black or man or female)

Again, I have a unique perspective but I know how university hiring works
She was a ‘no other choice ‘ hire , really. Mitchell quit like 2 weeks before the first game . She deserved to stay another yr or two after the SEC title but no doubt this is it for her

She was a ‘no other choice ‘ hire , really. Mitchell quit like 2 weeks before the first game . She deserved to stay another yr or two after the SEC title but no doubt this is it for her
The extension given to her told me it was a diversity move.

Can you recruit?

UK women's basketball is never gonna win a national title or make a final four even probably. When mitchell was here it was an elite 8 season due to running into the juggernaut team in elite 8. Nothing has changed since then.

UK women's basketball is never gonna win a national title or make a final four even probably. When mitchell was here it was an elite 8 season due to running into the juggernaut team in elite 8. Nothing has changed since then.

if Barnhart put some money into the program we could do much better. Unfortunately, he has proven that he won’t do that.

In what way do you want him to put money in the program? They have elite practice facilities, he allegedly pays coaches millions, Memorial is being renovated, what specifically does he need to do money wise?

His MO is to bring in unproven coaches and see if they work out. He’s had opportunities to bring in top notch coaches but wouldn’t. How about investing in a really good coach instead of seeing IF the unknown will work out? There is no reason we can’t have a top program if it has the proper support. We used to have a fantastic fan following but changes in the athletic department were made & it showed. IMHO if WBB was a moneymaker for Barnhart things would be different.

Reactions: Aday96
His MO is to bring in unproven coaches and see if they work out. He’s had opportunities to bring in top notch coaches but wouldn’t. How about investing in a really good coach instead of seeing IF the unknown will work out? There is no reason we can’t have a top program if it has the proper support. We used to have a fantastic fan following but changes in the athletic department were made & it showed. IMHO if WBB was a moneymaker for Barnhart things would be different.
I have said this before. Name a single coach Mitch has “fired”. Joker ? That’s really it, and you can argue he fired himself just like BCG did. Mitch has done nothing to advance this athletic dept. the influx of historic SEC money has fueled the facility upgrades on their own.

Reactions: WildcatDJ
The women's program has officially burnt to the ground. The best girl HS basketball player in the state isn't even considering us. She's either a sophomore or a junior. It's time to move on, bring in new energy, and see if we can get recruiting back to where it needs to be.

In what way do you want him to put money in the program? They have elite practice facilities, he allegedly pays coaches millions, Memorial is being renovated, what specifically does he need to do money wise?
They just made one of the largest investments in women’s sports in NCAA history. $80 million in a complete makeover of Memorial Coliseum and everything in it. Matthew Mitchell was the highest paid women’s coach in the SEC for a while.

if Barnhart put some money into the program we could do much better. Unfortunately, he has proven that he won’t do that.
80 million investment in women’s sports, one of the largest in NCAA history. Matthew Mitchell was the highest paid women’s coach in the SEC for a while.

80 million investment in women’s sports, one of the largest in NCAA history. Matthew Mitchell was the highest paid women’s coach in the SEC for a while.

As an example, South Carolina was a bottom tier WBB program for years. They decided to invest in Dawn Staley and look where they are now. Barnhart consistently chooses to hire lesser known coaches in hopes that they’ll work out. Why not shoot for something higher?

As an example, South Carolina was a bottom tier WBB program for years. They decided to invest in Dawn Staley and look where they are now. Barnhart consistently chooses to hire lesser known coaches in hopes that they’ll work out. Why not shoot for something higher?
I’m not sure who is out there that you would consider like a knockout hire, no-brainer, that you can pay a ton and start rolling. I honestly don’t believe money is much of an issue, based on what they were paying Mitchell. Mitchell was going to a few elite eights, which only 8 teams do every year. He lost to Connecticut teams that were virtually unbeatable a couple of times in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: delk4three
I'm not sure I totally agree. Dawn Staley wasn't an uber successful head coach when USC hired her. While she had some success at Temple, she never made it out of the first weekend. By no means was that a homerun hire at the time.

As for the UK hires, Mitch has made 3. 2 of them came from the Pat Summitt coaching tree, 1 of whom is by far the most successful coach in UK history. The 3rd was a last second hire due to Mitchell's health. The second contract extension of Elzy was a very bad one, but the initial hire was not.

Mitchell was the highest paid coach in the SEC when he was here and as others have pointed out, they have put a ton of resources into facilities for the women's team too. So, you're original post of "If Barnhart put some money into the program, we could be successful" is just way off base. It's not a money problem. He has shown he has no issues putting money into the program.

I'm not sure I totally agree. Dawn Staley wasn't an uber successful head coach when USC hired her. While she had some success at Temple, she never made it out of the first weekend. By no means was that a homerun hire at the time.

As for the UK hires, Mitch has made 3. 2 of them came from the Pat Summitt coaching tree, 1 of whom is by far the most successful coach in UK history. The 3rd was a last second hire due to Mitchell's health. The second contract extension of Elzy was a very bad one, but the initial hire was not.

Mitchell was the highest paid coach in the SEC when he was here and as others have pointed out, they have put a ton of resources into facilities for the women's team too. So, your original post of "If Barnhart put some money into the program, we could be successful" is just way off base. It's not a money problem. He has shown he has no issues putting money into the program.
Elzy’s extension was a one-year extension with a minor raise after an SEC tournament championship. That really wasn’t out of line considering you have to recruit. In the end, it would not be an obstacle if you have to fire her , other than a little bit more on the buyout. ‘Investing ‘ is keeping any coach on a 4+ yr deal , so less time won’t be used against them recruiting.

Last edited:
He hired Elzy because Matthew Mitchell retired 2 weeks before the season. Why is it so hard for y’all to apply context. So the investment is to hire a former Temple coach who went 172-80 while there? You all hate the real Dawn Staley and would have a complete meltdown if he hired her or a Temple coach with that record like South Carolina did.

Last edited:
Reactions: ~UK~
Juli fulks transylvania coach has gone two straight regular seasons undefeated and won the national championship last year in the ncaa 3 she heads into the ncaa ranked #2 and a great chance to win it again I have to believe mitch could get her for the same amount being paid too elzy or maybe less

Elzy’s extension was a one-year extension with a minor raise after an SEC tournament championship. That really wasn’t out of line considering you have to recruit. In the end, it would not be an obstacle if you have to fire her , other than a little bit more on the buyout. ‘Investing ‘ is keeping any coach on a 4+ yr deal , so less time won’t be used against them recruiting.
She had over $1.5 million added to the new terms of her contract, all of it paid out if she got a buyout, which she is going to get. It was pretty obvious to everyone that the run they made, while impressive, was not sustainable. As for recruiting, I don't feel adding an extra year ($850,000 annual salary) into 2027 was needed for recruiting back in 2022.

She had over $1.5 million added to the new terms of her contract, all of it paid out if she got a buyout, which she is going to get. It was pretty obvious to everyone that the run they made, while impressive, was not sustainable. As for recruiting, I don't feel adding an extra year ($850,000 annual salary) into 2027 was needed for recruiting back in 2022.
I don’t disagree . With non-revenue sports like WBB , it’s all a sunk cost anyway because any amount wont be recouped . He probably shouldn’t have extended her at all , but they can afford to buy her out . The investment they’ve made with facilities, and what they paid mitchell after he started winning a bit should attract a decent candidate pool

Reactions: UKortho
I don’t disagree . With non-revenue sports like WBB , it’s all a sunk cost anyway because any amount wont be recouped . He probably shouldn’t have extended her at all , but they can afford to buy her out . The investment they’ve made with facilities, and what they paid mitchell after he started winning a bit should attract a decent candidate pool
I agree with where they are now in terms of attracting a decent candidate pool. In the world of women's college basketball, we are maybe a top 25 job?

My first call might be to Lindsay Gottlieb at USC. With the move to the Big10, a west coast coach might not want that brutal travel schedule. She might not be gettable, but worth a shot.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I agree with where they are now in terms of attracting a decent candidate pool. In the world of women's college basketball, we are maybe a top 25 job?

My first call might be to Lindsay Gottlieb at USC. With the move to the Big10, a west coast coach might not want that brutal travel schedule. She might not be gettable, but worth a shot.
I'd call transy and get that big time coach has not lost a game in two years and hung one last year and may just do it again this year first call I would make

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT