ADVERTISEMENT

Edwards reminds me of the Goose.

tomrain

Blue Chip Prospect
Feb 18, 2004
I know everyone has someone they want to compare certain players to, but for this old timer, he reminds me alot of Jack Givens. Im sure some of it is because they're both lefties, but Jack was similar in that he could do it all and was really smooth in doing it. I know Edwards is taller, but Jack was an excellent rebounder for his size. Edwards seems to have more range on his shot, but I'm sure if the 3 pt shot had existed in Jack's day, he would have adjusted to it. Just my thoughts.

UK has had some nice lefties. Grevey, Goose, Bogans and Prince are some of my favorites.
I also liked Cliff Hawkins who had a pretty good career at UK as PG. Still is high on the list in several UK stats categories.

Just thinking more and would say Terrence Jones, Julius Randle and Heshimu Evans would be good additions to that lefty list. We have had some good ones and there are more, I'm sure.

Last edited:
I know everyone has someone they want to compare certain players to, but for this old timer, he reminds me alot of Jack Givens. Im sure some of it is because they're both lefties, but Jack was similar in that he could do it all and was really smooth in doing it. I know Edwards is taller, but Jack was an excellent rebounder for his size. Edwards seems to have more range on his shot, but I'm sure if the 3 pt shot had existed in Jack's day, he would have adjusted to it. Just my thoughts.
This. I very much agree.

I haven't came to a comparison yet but I do believe Edwards is going to be bad mfer. This is crazy but I seen something in his face that saids you ant seen nothing yet. My prediction by the end of the season Edwards will be our best defender.

He's his own guy. Can't think of another player his height who has that balance on his shot.

Tom Parker was a pretty good lefty back in the day.
Parker was a terrific open shot and a good, strong rebounder, but was slow as a dog and couldn't play defense to save his life. He also couldn't handle the ball, to the point that if he dribbled more than about 3 or 4 times he was called for palming because the basll got higher with each bdribble. For God's sake, let's not compare him to Edwards or Givens.

Goose was never that athletic. Or tall.
Yep. Ole Goose was an unusual player. A 6'4" forward who didn't jump high, was lacking in dribbling/driving skills, and didn't take any long range shots (never took any from what would now be three distance) ...yet still dominated by being the absolute master of coming off screens and curls and drilling those mid-range 8-15 foot type shots.

He's kinda the prototype of the player who would not fit in today's era ...where mid-range is out and it's all about three pointers and drives ...but was a perfect fit for our late 70s style play.

Last edited:
All basketball players at this level should be, at least, very strong with their opposite hand. It shouldn’t take breaking an arm like David Lee did to be able to compete opposite-handed!

Parker was a terrific open shot and a good, strong rebounder, but was slow as a dog and couldn't play defense to save his life. He also couldn't handle the ball, to the point that if he dribbled more than about 3 or 4 times he was called for palming because the basll got higher with each bdribble. For God's sake, let's not compare him to Edwards or Givens.
I compared him to a lefty shooter but he was not a bad player don't know about all the crap you threw out.

I compared him to a lefty shooter but he was not a bad player don't know about all the crap you threw out.
It's not crap TheoJ. I watched Parker's 3 years at UK and I described him exactly as he was. He wasn't a bad college player by the standards back then, but you can't be a really good college player now if you can only play with one hand and only move to the left as a consequence. And yes, he was horrific on defense because he was very slow. He was a deadly shooter and a solid rebounder, but couldn't create his own shot because of the slowness and lack of a a decent handle.

It's not crap TheoJ. I watched Parker's 3 years at UK and I described him exactly as he was. He wasn't a bad college player by the standards back then, but you can't be a really good college player now if you can only play with one hand and only move to the left as a consequence. And yes, he was horrific on defense because he was very slow. He was a deadly shooter and a solid rebounder, but couldn't create his own shot because of the slowness and lack of a a decent handle.
Tom Parker was a 2 time All SEC player and SEC Player of the Year as a senior. In the 1000 pt club. Averaged about 15 and 8 over his 3 years. Drafted.

I’ll take that. “Wasn’t a bad college player” isn’t a good description.

I know “he wasn’t athletic enough”- just a consistent dependable high iq basketball player.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeoJ and Emarc
I’ve said from the beginning I thought Edwards and Wagner would be special. This roster is loaded with talent. Hopefully the team stays healthy because I think this will be a great season.

Much love brother but I don't feel that you went out on much of a limb expecting big things from the number 3 and number 6 players in the country lol

That being said if I had to take a crack at it, I see Edwards as a less athletic/explosive left handed Andrew Wiggins.

It was Goose.
Not “the Goose”

Don’t use the SI cover to say differently.

Last edited:
Much love brother but I don't feel that you went out on much of a limb expecting big things from the number 3 and number 6 players in the country lol

That being said if I had to take a crack at it, I see Edwards as a less athletic/explosive left handed Andrew Wiggins.
In my eyes I didn’t. Many have been and were worried about scouts saying the class was really weak this year.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
He reminds me of one of the O'Bannon brothers. Maybe a mixture of both

Reactions: tomrain
I can definitely see the resemblance.

Top-Gun-Goose.jpeg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT