ADVERTISEMENT

Edwards reminds me of the Goose.

It was Goose.
Not “the Goose”

Don’t use the SI cover to say differently.
This is some hardcore nitpicking here. I’ve heard UK fans call him both Goose and the Goose countless times over the years. After all, it is just a nickname, not his real name …so it ain’t like there’s any rule on which is correct.

I know everyone has someone they want to compare certain players to, but for this old timer, he reminds me alot of Jack Givens. Im sure some of it is because they're both lefties, but Jack was similar in that he could do it all and was really smooth in doing it. I know Edwards is taller, but Jack was an excellent rebounder for his size. Edwards seems to have more range on his shot, but I'm sure if the 3 pt shot had existed in Jack's day, he would have adjusted to it. Just my thoughts.
That is who comes to my mind. Smooth, can shoot accurately and doesn't force things.

Last edited:
Reactions: arenk and tomrain
This is some hardcore nitpicking here. I’ve heard UK fans call him both Goose and the Goose countless times over the years. After all, it is just a nickname, not his real name …so it ain’t like there’s any rule on which is correct.
Michael “The Air” Jordan; Julius “The Dr. J” Erving; “The Pistol” Pete Maravich; Kenny “The Sky” Walker

There’s no rule that says these aren’t right, right?

Michael “The Air” Jordan; Julius “The Dr. J” Erving; “The Pistol” Pete Maravich; Kenny “The Sky” Walker
In fact, I have heard Maravich referenced as "the Pistol" a great many times. And I've also heard Dr. J referenced as "the Doctor" a TON of times. To the extent that doesn't apply to a nickname like "Air" it's probably just because it simply doesn't sound as natural with an article attached.

Again, these are just nicknames, not real names. Ain't no rules with nicknames ...so it strikes me as a rather petty thing to nitpick over.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
In fact, I have heard Maravich referenced as "the Pistol" a great many times. And I've also heard Dr. J referenced as "the Doctor" a TON of times. To the extent that doesn't apply to a nickname like "Air" it's probably just because it simply doesn't sound as natural with an article attached.

Again, these are just nicknames, not real names. Ain't no rules with nicknames ...so it strikes me as a rather petty thing to nitpick over.
The Pistol? The Doctor? Ok.

The Pistol? The Doctor? Ok.
You're not well versed in basketball history if you're unaware that those two were quite often referenced that way. Hell, "The Doctor" was the friggin official title of the film about Dr. J's life:

Tom Parker was a 2 time All SEC player and SEC Player of the Year as a senior. In the 1000 pt club. Averaged about 15 and 8 over his 3 years. Drafted.

I’ll take that. “Wasn’t a bad college player” isn’t a good description.

I know “he wasn’t athletic enough”- just a consistent dependable high iq basketball player.
The SEC was a very weak conference in the early 70s, the last two years Rupp coached. UK was blown out of the NCAAT by Western Kentucky in 70-71 (107-83) and then destroyed by Florida State in 71-72. Guys like Wendel Hudson of Alabama made all SEC too and were cut by the Chicago Bulls who were terrible then. Say what you like, but Parker was just as I described him. He may have been drafted, but he was promptly cut. Did he ever play one minute in the NBA? If you can't handle the ball and can only play with your left hand, you are not a great player. I can name you many players that were great in the SEC that fall into this group as well.

The SEC sucked back then. Yes, I know that Issel, Maravich and Johnny Neumann played in the SEC at that time, but three players did not make it a real conference when it came to basketball in those days. Ga, Miss, Miss St, Auburn, Florida, LSU, and Ala were awful in 71 and 72. Vandy wasn't anything special, nor was Tennessee. It was UK and then the rest and we could get away with Parker's limitations because we had other good players, although Casey was a shell of his former self in 70-71. Parker would not have started on any of the really good or NC UK teams in the post 1971-72 era.

Last edited:
Edwards is the next level up on Goose. Jack G. was a great shooter midrange and in. Edwards can hit the three and take the rim down. If Edwards can be as steady as Goose he will be amazing for this team. Goose will always be a hero here for the 78 championship. If Joe B had left him in the game he would have scored 60 by himself, so Edwards need to hang one in the rafters.

Reactions: tomrain
Edwards is the next level up on Goose. Jack G. was a great shooter midrange and in. Edwards can hit the three and take the rim down. If Edwards can be as steady as Goose he will be amazing for this team. Goose will always be a hero here for the 78 championship. If Joe B had left him in the game he would have scored 60 by himself, so Edwards need to hang one in the rafters.
I tend to agree somewhat, but there were games when Givens went out beyond mid-range and burned the nets off. To say that Goose was only a mid-range shooter is wrong IMO. If all you saw of Goose is the UK/Duke final in 78, you would be under the impression that Goose was only a better version of Darius Miller's lane jumpers. He wasn't if you followed his entire career like I did.

Reactions: tomrain
I tend to agree somewhat, but there were games when Givens went out beyond mid-range and burned the nets off. To say that Goose was only a mid-range shooter is wrong IMO. If all you saw of Goose is the UK/Duke final in 78, you would be under the impression that Goose was only a better version of Darius Miller's lane jumpers. He wasn't if you followed his entire career like I did.
Plus, what some of the younger generation overlooks is there wasnt a 3 point shot in Goose's day, so there wasnt any reason for him to shoot long range when it didnt count for anymore. I guarantee that if the 3 pt shot had been around Goose would've adjusted been a good percentage 3 point shooter. Also, Ive seen some in this thread say Goose wasnt as athletic and not the rebounder. Goose was a great rebounder in high school, and very good in college, but wasnt counted on to be a big rebounder with Robey and Phillips underneath. People overlook what a great player he was. Scored over 2000 career points, and averaged almost 17ppg his career on some really great teams loaded with other really good players. Plus was the 16th pick in the NBA draft. If Edwards can be anywhere close to the player the Goose was, we will be alright!

Reactions: arenk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT