ADVERTISEMENT

Edwards #1 projected pick 2024 NBA Draft( The Athletic)

In general if we have a player that's a top 5 player, that is a pretty good indication the season went well, the problem the last couple of years is UK has only had one prospect that was even 1st round caliber. I don't know why people see it as a negative, it is good to have what the NBA scouts perceive as the most talented kid in college. And by the way, there is another mock draft that has Bradshaw as Number 1.
Yeah, I don't understand why that would be a problem. Give me a starting lineup of guys that are drafted first round. EVERY SINGLE SEASON.

Cal's best seasons at UK (or even outside of UK) have occurred when he has had guys drafted top 5 and numerous first rounders. Not even sure why this is a debate, to be honest.

No guarantees with first round talent, but I would rather have it than not have it.

And quality means as much as quantity. We haven’t had a top five level guy in some time.

Cal’s only lost what 8-9 games total when he has had a number one draft pick on his team.

If Edwards ends up as the number one draft pick (that’s a big if) we probably had a pretty good season.

Reeves - he is a dime/dozen scorer that can find a role in the NBA, but he'll do so earning it through summer league as a second round pick at best no matter when he leaves college. Mulder is a pro. Reeves can be a pro. But he's not going to be a first round pick unless he is a NPOY / 1st Team AA type and even that isn't a guarantee - look at Oscar and Edey (different for bigs, but still). The NBA knows who Reeves is and what he brings to the league, and he wasn't even a solid 2nd rounder after leading UK as a scorer.

Bradshaw - the foot issue is a real problem for him ... but that doesn't mean he won't go lottery if he has a great year. Let's just hope he crushes it. Klutch won't let him have a second college season, regardless, so let's just hope we get the most out of his talent for the season he wears the UK uniform. I think he ends up a first round pick on potential if nothing else, unless the foot keeps him out of games this season.

Edwards - he's going to have to take over games, show a killer mindset, and become an alpha at times. That's what Gilchrist did when the others weren't on top of their games. Remember Gilchrist against Louisville at Rupp? Crushed it. That type of game is what made him a #2 pick. Edwards will have to show that ability to truly be a #1 pick candidate. Very deferential to DJ early on ... saw it in the McDonalds game, too. But this likely changes with confidence.

Wagner - is he just a volume scorer? If so, he's a bit undersized for the NBA and without a reliable 3-pt shot, he's not a lock to be a lottery pick as others expected the last few years. I can't imagine a scenario where he falls outside the top 20, though.
Yeah, there seems to be a huge range on Bradshaw, I think there is a lot of uncertainty with him.

Unless Reeves is damn near automatic from three I don't see him getting drafted because as has been stated 6'5 shooting guards with average athletic ability are everywhere trying to make the league.

I love Reed but let's pump the brakes on him being a first round pick until we see what he can do against top competition.
Plus CB, Shepherd could be the most productive freshman in CBB next season and still not be on any mock draft boards.

The correlation between freshmen projected draft positions and the best players in college for that season is just not a strong one. The #1 draft pick could have been one of the best players in CBB or he might not even have been a top 10 player at his position, and is just perceived to have a lot of potential upside.

Kid oozes max deal potential. Kudos to him, doesn't do UK a lick of good, but the Edwards family will surely benefit.

Funny thing is, Edwards could go #1 and we could have 3 more lottery picks, but the clowns on here will blame the players when we go 23-10 and are ousted in the sweet 16.
You tell 'em, Jeff ! ! ! Great post !

Reactions: deep3 and kyjeff1
Oh I'm certainly making no guarantees, and I think anyone here would be crazy to just "assume" that Cal has figured this out and were back to the pre-2015 days.

But I do think when Cal has his talent, things generally work out well. BJ, I think we can all say was a bust, and Clarke, for however talented hi might have been.. he only played 20% of the season. I almost don't think we can include him in this discussion, no?
We can include Clarke, because we're talking about pre-season ratings and you have to figure injuries into the mix. We already have two guys out with foot injuries and one of them is a projected lottery pick. I wouldn't be stunned if Bradshaw's camp made him sit the year out, would you?

Hell, this is UK, we have to factor in the possibility of players sitting.

Reactions: deep3
In general if we have a player that's a top 5 player, that is a pretty good indication the season went well, the problem the last couple of years is UK has only had one prospect that was even 1st round caliber. I don't know why people see it as a negative, it is good to have what the NBA scouts perceive as the most talented kid in college. And by the way, there is another mock draft that has Bradshaw as Number 1.
Because the NBA drafts on potential, not so much what you did in college.

Anthony Edwards played at UGA, that team stunk.

Matter of fact, how often do you see guys that went lottery, in the final 4? Not many these days. I see mostly juniors and seniors that only end up getting to the league long enough to sip a coffee and those are the ones that actually make it.

This team is too young to really be a FF contender in my opinion. Can they make it? Sure, but it’s more likely they are out by the sweet 16.

Reactions: deep3
Can’t wait to see him drafted “it’s all about the draft “ greatest night in UK basketball about time we got back to number one.
Worn out sarcasm aside it helps greatly with recruiting. Big Z is here because of it.

We can include Clarke, because we're talking about pre-season ratings and you have to figure injuries into the mix. We already have two guys out with foot injuries and one of them is a projected lottery pick. I wouldn't be stunned if Bradshaw's camp made him sit the year out, would you?

Hell, this is UK, we have to factor in the possibility of players sitting.

I more mean that if Clarke had been healthy, and if he was able to be that top5/10-ish type player that he had the potential to be, the season might have been a little different.

Injuries are always possible.. but like Buc said above, having the top talent is better than not having it. And we often ragged on Cal saying "he can only win with elite top talent".. well, he's kind of got it this year, for the first time in a while.

I more mean that if Clarke had been healthy, and if he was able to be that top5/10-ish type player that he had the potential to be, the season might have been a little different.

Injuries are always possible.. but like Buc said above, having the top talent is better than not having it. And we often ragged on Cal saying "he can only win with elite top talent".. well, he's kind of got it this year, for the first time in a while.
Well, like I said, Bradshaw could end up being the guy this year that deals with injuries like Clarke did.

As far as the talent thing, I disagree, freshman talent with NBA potential, will get you close, but talented veterans win you titles. That’s exactly what's been happening.

I'm not seeing it personally. I think he'll be really good for UK but #1 pick? I remember watching Wall and KAT and Davis, and you just could see the dominance of those guys coming in from their highlight vids and all star game appearances. While I don't think it's impossible for him to blow up CBB and go #1, his current reel of footage doesn't spark that in my mind.

It's a really bad draft class this year, hard to compare to other classes just need to compare to who else is in this class, and it's very thin

Well, like I said, Bradshaw could end up being the guy this year that deals with injuries like Clarke did.

As far as the talent thing, I disagree, freshman talent with NBA potential, will get you close, but talented veterans win you titles. That’s exactly what's been happening.

I just want to be in a position to compete for a national title. And I think some decent experience, coupled with the type of recruiting class Cal had in his early years, should have us within reach. Reeves coming back as a guy who can score 25pt on a given night is huge. That's not something we've had in quite some time.

I just want to be in a position to compete for a national title. And I think some decent experience, coupled with the type of recruiting class Cal had in his early years, should have us within reach. Reeves coming back as a guy who can score 25pt on a given night is huge. That's not something we've had in quite some time.
I'm with ya, I just can't go there with Cal anymore. His demeanor and hard headedness, is disturbing. It’s like he would rather lose just to prove he was right.

I'm not saying he's actually doing that, but sone of his actions certainly look like that's what he's doing.

There will be a Benny lineup this year and if he gets wind of what that lineup is, you better believe he won’t play it.

My question to those that support Cal endlessly, that have pointed to this team as the one that proves Cal is still awesome, is, what happens if this team goes 23-9, or 22-10 and loses in the sweet 16? There will be nothing left to hang on to, this is it.

Can’t wait to see him drafted “its all about the draft “ greatest night in UK basketball about time we got back to number one.
Oh basically, that’s what the thread it’s about so there’s that

This is the kind if team he did well with from 09-15. The game has changed since then.
I hope I'm wrong and if I am, I will be on here telling everyone I was wrong, but again, just because we have 1st round draft picks on the roster, doesn't mean we're going to be any good.
We also have some very solid transfers as well

We also have some very solid transfers as well
Had good transfers last year, year before (NPOY), year before that, year before that, year before that.

Had 7 draft picks on the 17/18 team, that ended badly.

The problem has never been the players, Cal needs to change and until I see it, I can't believe he'll do it.

I think because they just haven't seen him play enough, and he's not as "flashy" as some of the studs we've had in the past in his highlight video (John Wall, Fox, etc.).

Think he is just a crazy, steady, solid dude who can do it all and fill it up in a bunch of different areas. Think he'll be the 2nd best wing that Cal has had at Kentucky behind MKG.

Also- that's awesome! I grew up off Bearss Ave but now I live in Seminole Heights close to downtown.
Let's hope you're right! He def seems like he has a smooth game, from the limited time I've seen him

-Love SH, my wife and I frequent for dinner. Cheers

If Edwards goes number one in the draft, it means that we truly contended for a title and probably were in the top five all year.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT