ADVERTISEMENT

Adou Thiero Enters NBA Draft

I think promises like that have been a big part of our problem in recent years. Not in favor of it all all.

I think more coaches are giving "soft" promises than we realize. If we're honest with every single recruit/player/transfer, how can you build a roster?

Maybe you don't say "Adou you get starter spot no matter what!".. but instead say "the 4 spot it's yours to start the season, and if you continue to improve like you did this season, it's yours to lose".

We want this to be a program-first situation.. I think that means we have to stop putting the player first at all times. Have to build a roster, and use that roster, before anything else.

Further.. it's the promises to totally unproven and unqualified players that isthe problem. It's the refusal to "go back" in said promise, and keep starting guys like DJ and Edwards. THAT'S the issue here.

But I see no problem for coaching staff to look at a guy and say "you're it until you're not". I think Adou fits that. We know he's just about worthy of starting as is and I don't think any of the recruits are going to be better suited than him.

He’s better than Chris Livingston was and he got drafted

I think Livingston got drafted specifically as a flyer by the last team in the draft, who said "**** it, this guy was a top 15 recruit and he's only a freshman, why not?"

Not that Adou isnt close to that. But I think it's enough of a difference where a player and a recruit like Adou, isn't going get that attention. That final team drafting will look elsewhere

Adou: "What do I have to do to make an NBA roster?"
NBA GM: "Shoot better."

Any questions?

This shouldn't take but a couple of hours to figure out. If he doesn't announce a return to UK in the next few days then recruit over him.

Yeah and we’re going to have wait months for a decision while transfer portal prospects commit to other teams
And it always seems like our guys wait all the up until the deadline to make a decision.

Any questions?

This shouldn't take but a couple of hours to figure out. If he doesn't announce a return to UK in the next few days then recruit over him.
My thoughts exactly.....shoot better.

He's been a favorite the last 2 years, but this is exactly why I'm getting tired of college basketball, especially KY basketball.

Maybe I need to start looking into other programs more.... we have the most fringe NBA prospects every year testing the waters...

What they need to be doing is hitting the gym and coming back for year 2 and year 3
The secret sauce is recruiting the fringe prospects to return another season. Without the lockout shortened NBA season Cal likely wouldn't have a title. Whenever guys like Jones, Lamb, and even Miller return that's when you have something.

Other blue blood programs aren't emptying the cupboard each and every season. You simply can't sustain success in the NIL/portal era whenever rooster turnover includes recruiting more than 2-3 freshmen. You can still recruit elite freshmen just not in excess like we're currently doing.

The odds 6 freshmen >than 6 returnees/portal players is extremely unlikely. Cal's only chance given the current roster situation is to tell the freshmen you better be ready for competition.

Reactions: DraftCat
Only at this dysfunctional mess of a program is a dude who averaged 7 ppg testing the draft waters
Laughable that he would even consider the nba. Only a uk player that can only score on a dunk would do this. The uk program is a total laughing stock

Any questions?

Recruit over him regardless. He can come off the bench. Can't continue to play 4 on 5 with players that aren't a scoring threat.

He has no place in the nba, but I’d draft or take a chance on him over DJ all day long.

The issue is that this rarely happens elsewhere. Cal is patient while our guys make their decisions, but then it costs us in the portal. We got lucky last year when Reeves returned and we added Mitchell in the summer. We would have been an NIT without them.
I thought this was the $hit that was supposed to stop after the meeting with Mitch…. This is what Cal is doing in Mitch’s face 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 and Mitch is going to sit back and take every little bit of it. Just wait till the shoe drops on all the other players and we lose all the good players out of the portal and we make a run for the NIT next year…. That 33 million dollars will look like chump change….

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Smart choice. Go through the process. Learn what is expected. Get some athletic testing down. Build a buzz… either go pro or return to college

him and his daddy should know they will look at last game film where he choked big time and couldn’t even stay on the court

Who's projecting him as a first rounder?

Edit: Just noticed for next year's draft.

I think more coaches are giving "soft" promises than we realize. If we're honest with every single recruit/player/transfer, how can you build a roster?

Maybe you don't say "Adou you get starter spot no matter what!".. but instead say "the 4 spot it's yours to start the season, and if you continue to improve like you did this season, it's yours to lose".

We want this to be a program-first situation.. I think that means we have to stop putting the player first at all times. Have to build a roster, and use that roster, before anything else.
I think would be enough to say "Adou, I'm not promising anyone any position. But with your past season, you have the inside edge for one of the 2 Forward spots.". I think he would be happy just knowing if he is better than X then he will play over X.
I think Adou may want to play the 3 though. Has he had a good enough 3pt shot for that? No, probably not. But could he by the fall, certainly.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Yeah and we’re going to have wait months for a decision while transfer portal prospects commit to other teams
Yep . That’s the problem. UK’s interest and BBN ‘s don’t even count . It’s all about getting kids drafted . Why would anyone other than lesser schools like UCONN, ALABAMA, PURDUE , AND NCSTATE recruit anything but talented freshmen .
We are the gold standard . We eat first . That’s why we have won five straight NCAA Championships and have now surpassed UCLA .
What a dufus we have both as a coach and AD .

Yeah, I don't like that list. I get letting him choose between us and the NBA. But the decision between us and 360 other D1 programs needs to be decided asap. There's always going to be some school out there who can offer Adou more playing time and/or more money. Always. You don't get to keep shopping around all of spring. You should have until X Date, and after that we have to fill your position.

Not feeling good about this. I'd start working on Edwards return, and the transfer portal for his replacement.

Reactions: delk4three
him and his daddy should know they will look at last game film where he choked big time and couldn’t even stay on the court

He could still very well be drafted. As he’s already projected. You seem like a Cal apologist.

Even if he’s not drafted or decides to not fully declare for the draft he’d be MUCH better off taking his talents (or lack thereof according to you) to another team and most importantly another coach.

He could still very well be drafted. As he’s already projected. You seem like a Cal apologist.

Even if he’s not drafted or decides to not fully declare for the draft he’d be MUCH better off taking his talents (or lack thereof according to you) to another team and most importantly another coach.
So it’s Cals fault him and Reed were huge chokers in the tourney . Got it

I like his energy and he can get rebounds but he has no inside game and doesn't attack the basket alot. Now I don't know if that was the offense but he has no inside game. Do I want him back? Yes. But we had no low post presence whatsoever. We need someone who can beat and bang but also post up guys and score. Very important when your outside shots aren't falling. I biggest criticism of Thiero... he can't stand up. He slides all over the court.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT