ADVERTISEMENT

Do you go to Church?

Does she also have a Phd (Pentecostal hair do)?

rihanna-medusa-illuminati1.jpg

PhD?

bunch of sinners in this thread doomed to damnation. The lot of ya.
Nope. Not if I get this soul deal to go through. Even the most heathen of sinners will walk the light.

Bet no one will thank me either Jason. But hey, I expect that. It's America 2015.

I go a few times a year, typically just when I go home for a weekend it is an easy way to visit a lot of my extended family who still attend the same country church I went to growing up. Only way I could ever see myself attending on a regular basis is if I have kids. Seems like a good way to instill morals and get a couple weekends away from them in the summer in the summer if they join a youth group and hit up Kings Island, Pigeon Forge, or ideally do some mission trip overseas. Just hope they dont get too brainwashed in the process.

Go to church..no, Believe in God...yes. I lost faith in mankind a long time ago. Nobody but me can send my soul to hell anyway, why involve a middle man? I try to spend a little time each week somewhere quiet like on the lake, in my backyard garden, in my mancave garage etc...where I touch base with the big guy upstairs. I try to live my life as God would want me (or as I have understood him to want me) but find churchs today to be filled with too much hypocrisy and judgement. No offense to anyone.
I agree with most of this. I go to church occasionally but read the bible religiously (pun intended). Read it most days to be more accurate. Agree that there is too much hypocrisy in the church today.

My mom took me and my two brothers to church every sunday starting at an age where I was too young to remember.

I recall that I was about the same age as when I figured out there was no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny that I would look around the church waiting for everyone else to acknowledge that this, like Santa, wasn't real either. But everyone kept right on pretending it was real. So I pretended too! By Junior High as we were reading the Iliad and The Odyssey we were told that they were ancient stories. The stories were just too fantastic and unbelievable, and we were told they were great works of fiction. That made sense to me. Then on Sunday we'd go to church and sunday school. We'd hear more ancient stories that were equally fantastic, and equally unbelievable. And everyone pretended that these stories were true accounts of things that had happened. That made no sense to me at all. But I kept on pretending. By the time I reached the age of 16 I was done pretending. I told my mom I was not going back. That was 40 years ago. Haven't been back since.
The problem with this is, the story of Jesus Christ is as strong today as it was then and all others have faded. Something to contemplate.

For those of you who don't attend for whatever reason, do you make a distinction between your faith in God vs. going to church, or are they intertwined for you?

For me, I never fully bought into the story, even as a kid. Using logic, I came to the conclusion I was being fed ancient folk tales with the basic point being "don't be assholes." Viewing Christ solely as a historical figure rather than a religious idol, I think many of his teachings were positive in nature. I also don't believe in any of the supernatural aspects of religion.

I pretty much believe that when I die, I'm worm food. Game over. Fade to black. No eternal party in the sky or roasting down below.

So, I guess my belief/non-belief and going to church are intertwined.

So, a lot of it boils down to, whether or not godly miracles occur or have occurred. Not only with Jesus, but with people in general.

Thanks for the answer megablue.

For those of you who don't attend for whatever reason, do you make a distinction between your faith in God vs. going to church, or are they intertwined for you?

Never thought God took attendance. Seen people that are religiously devout in church on Sunday to absolve what they have done Monday - Saturday.

Reactions: Mashburned
Does religion address the period before a person is born?

Of course, you have to believe that words of the Bible are the mind of God given to men. That God is a personal God and can inject himself into the affairs of men.

But, yes, the bible talks about being God knitting David together in his mothers womb. John the Baptist lept in his mother's womb, etc.

I don't agree with all aspects of Church either, part of why I don't attend now, part of it's laziness on my part. But I still try my best to live and follow Christs message.

I try to ignore the messenger, being the sometimes hippocritical members of the church, and just listen to the message.

I believe in the power to heal and even miracles but c'mon is this actually the miracle of faith or a publicity stunt to garner more financial support.

Not much in the past year. I'm a Lutheran, but I did not went to any services at my church in a year. My girlfriend is part of the Church of Christ, and I've went a couple times. Did grew up going to every Sunday service until I was in high school, then bowling tournaments took a few weeks out every year. Had some pretty good friends at my Lutheran church, but they all either went to a different Lutheran church, or simply went to Baptist, Protestant, etc.

I go to the Old Regular Baptist
All affairs and workings of the church are open to all. Every month the treasurer's report is made accounting for all money spent. No one is paid for preaching or pasturing, or any other position. Just the monthly bills, water, electric, and gas. Also some pay for house cleaning or grass cutting.

The church I attend was established before 1812
We demand no money from members but expect them to donate to help with expenses. Not ten percent,

Last edited:
This Benny Hinn video is way better

One of the worst things is people worshipping the pastor and their families. It turns into idolatry and quickly the powers and finances become abused. I have seen this at so many places. They seriously put the pastor on a pedestal and forget why they're there.

Also, preachers continue to incorrectly teach about the tithe and it is extremely unethical.

Reactions: We-Todd-Did
How many of you remember the documentary MarJoe? It was from the early 70s and gave us an inside glimpse of the wolves in sheep's clothing. So many people get taken advantage of and it's so sad.

Go to church..no, Believe in God...yes. I lost faith in mankind a long time ago. Nobody but me can send my soul to hell anyway, why involve a middle man? I try to spend a little time each week somewhere quiet like on the lake, in my backyard garden, in my mancave garage etc...where I touch base with the big guy upstairs. I try to live my life as God would want me (or as I have understood him to want me) but find churchs today to be filled with too much hypocrisy and judgement. No offense to anyone.
Bingo this is the way I feel also after seeing how some church members act I will take my chances going one on one with the good lord.

Another scene from MarJoe

Check out around the 3 minute mark of them counting the money.

Star Talk Religion and Science
I thought this was an interesting discussion. I'll just say I'm not sure about God or not but what doesn't help some time are his supporters. One of the things I found most interesting in this entire show was the Jesuit Priest that basically said he didn't want to be lumped in with everybody else that doesn't believe in evolution. Now what he said about the Big Bang happening but what happened before that is unknown and could possibly be God, I can neither confirm nor deny that.

I do and I struggle with it. I was raised Catholic and my father took us even on vacation. By the time I got married I wasn't going to church. We go now each week to a non-denominational. I have prayed for years, in time, any legit prayer was answered. I don't think it is coincidence and have some faith in God/higher power.

At times, I do lose faith. I have an issue with getting caught up and raging against the darkness(child molestors, rapists, murderers).

With that said, in my darkest times God has been there for me.

Every Sunday. I also play guitar in the praise band if needed (my kids play almost every Sunday).

Its a lifestyle not just a religion for us.

Reactions: DA23_rox
Yes. I am ordained in the church (Pentecostal). My wife and I teach classes there so we are there all the time. Fixing to work on my doctorate which will be based on some aspect of ministry.

Do you speak in tongues?

I can completely understand hypocrisy being what keeps someone out of church. That is after all what pushed me away originally. I put too much faith in people and when they let me down I projected that image onto every church going person. What I came to realize after getting back into church is that we are all human and we stumble everyday that's why we need grace. Are there those who are what I think of as true hypocrites that in no way live a Godly life but pass themselves off as someone who does. Yes they definitely exist, but I don't attend church for them I can't let them take my eyes off of what matters.

I have also experienced church hurt and completely understand a church not being what you thought it was. This day and time you have to be very careful with the church you choose. You need to know God's word so that you will know that the church you attend preaches, teaches, and represents the one true word of God. It doesn't twist or pervert it in any way even if it may hurt their attendance record or bank account. The church is flooded with false doctrines many of which preach a watered down message that is more appealing to people in an effort to become the next mega church.

Basically, don't let people effect your image of church or Christianity because in the end they're human just like you. And be sure you're attending the same church God is attending not a rock concert followed by a motivational speaker who only wants to make you feel good. After all we should attend church to worship, to hear the word, and to have our faith strengthened.

I don't see man's corruption as a reflection of God but just of the modern church. This type of crap is what bothers me that people allow to happen. You let these crooks in the mega churches and the prosperity gospel to poison your mind, sell you the same sermon right back to you in their self help book, and rob you.

I mean, look at this crap. This is Joel Osteen's house

joel-osteen-house.jpg

Reactions: Stonewall12
No I don't go. And will never go. And don't believe hardly any of what they are peddling other than "be nice to each other".

And I would never go just to keep the peace with either my wife or my inlaws. good thing my wife is a non believer and the inlaws are Catholic only on paper. A friend of mine went Church of Christ because of his wife(or actually because of her family) -someone mentioned Mt Juliet TN earlier in this thread--yeah it's a professional sport down there. When you don't live in Bible Belt area and then are subjected to it again it really gives it a different perspective.

Every sunday. Do I agree with everything said? Not always, but I do enjoy Church.
On a side note, I think every pastor and church member in America oughta read the posts in this thread.
So many do more harm to the faith than they do good, so I can understand why many people on here have quit attending. It's sad to me to see this because it'd be hard to fully appreciate the value of church until you actually find the right one.

I think it was Malcolm Muggeridge who once wrote a book making a distinction between Christianity (started by Christ) and Christendom (started by Constantine). Kareem Adbul Jabbar recently expressed his problems with the prosperity gospel. Both viewpoints I agree with. The church has long strived to live like Christ, but far too many times has faceplanted. However, I believe that Jesus Christ came here to die for humanity, and establish His church here on earth. Reason enough for me. But I actually like going to church.
Prosperity gospel is one of my main problems with the church. Yes, Jesus said help the sick and widowed but you deserve a $50M net worth because "you're not Jesus and cannot help everybody."

I skipped out for the last 18 years but now I'm back. Going to church makes you a better person. Don't believe me? Just look at the turds on this thread that don't believe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT