ADVERTISEMENT

Did anyone catch the bullsht...

Girthang

All-American
Dec 12, 2019
Freddie Maggard spewed on the Leach Report this morning?

Said "the offense did enough to win the game..." Said neither team "created any turnovers"... Defense under the bus. He at least admitted he didn't actually watch the game. Wth...

Our offense
First drive- 3 and out
2nd drive- 4 play turnover on downs
Defense held UT to 9 yards and a FG.
In FACT the Defense held UT to 3 FGs in
the first half. 4 total for the game. Made them punt twice.
Our offense turned the ball over on downs 2x, gifting UT with 3 points on the first one.

How the fk does anyone with a brain think the offense did enough to win the game?
----

Side note- WHEN THE FK is this head coach going to figure out he has not 1 but 3 timeouts to use in the first half while his players are gassed and getting gashed? How many games are we going to back into halftime letting the other team score in a 2min offense because we can't manage the clock or our timeouts?

He KNOWS he's not saving those timeouts for us to run a 1min drill, because he's a knee taker/run the clock out kind of gal.

Listened to the post game with Tom Leach and listened to him make excuses about "things not being guaranteed" as if ANYTHING in the game of football is guaranteed. W . T . F .!!

LEAST MOTIVATED AND MOTIVATIONAL coach in the entire SEC. Very disappointing

Last edited:
The defense was HORRIBLE!! We made a mediocre QB look like an All-American and couldn’t tackle ANY UT ball carrier or receiver. Our defense was out of position, loafed on several plays and was SOFT.

I agree with Freddie!!

Said "the offense did enough to win the game..." Said neither team "created any turnovers"... Defense under the bus. He at least admitted he didn't actually watch the game. Wth...

Our offense
First drive- 3 and out
The defense sucked. The stats show that. We gave up 481yards Saturday. That's not good defense with ANY measuring stick.

Over the past three weeks we've given up nearly 1421 yrds and roughly 122 points.

That's TERRIBLE.

I'm glad everyone is putting their mouth on his member and ignoring the role the offense and the staff played in giving this game away. Not surprised
Normally, I agree with 80+% of your takes but this one is wrong, imo. The offense did fine on Saturday. Did they score every series - of course not. But, we moved the ball well, racked up > 400 yards of offense and didn't have a turnover (and only a few penalties). You can't lay this loss on the offense.

The wildcat plays were dumb. The 3rd and 6 long pass that forced a 50+ yard FG attempt was dumb, also. Even 3 or 4 yards gives our kicker a better chance of making it. Did not understand that call at all. The 3rd down QB sneak before getting stuffed on 4th down early was such a dumb call - everyone in the stands knew what we were going to do. Why not fake the sneak and hit a quick pop pass to a TE who very possibly could have run for 40 yards? You still have 4th down to plan for if that doesn't work. But UT had at least 8 guys right at the LOS and all crashed down immediately. Had to be someone who would've been wide ass open for a huge play and signaled to UT that we're playing to win tonight.

The early 4th down attempt/failure was just plain stupid. No reason to concede a minimum of 3 points to UT at that point. Combined with the boning the officials gave us on the 'did he catch it in bounds' awful call on UT's drive before the half that resulted in 3 points, that's the final margin of victory for UT. Allowing almost 500 yards, 263 on the ground is NOT good defense by any stretch of the imagination.

Bingo, when you play 2 safeties to protect against the pass, if the front 7 can’t hold you’re in trouble to the tune of 253 yards. Many of the yards were after contact.

The offense didn't score a point in the entire first quarter and gave away 3 points. Came up empty on 2 drives in the 2nd half. Only scored a total of 10 points the entire 2nd half against a team that folds in the 2nd half.

Regardless of how the defense played, the offense did NOT do enough to win the game. The defense kept the game close by holding them to FGs and punts on 6 drives. If the offense puts together some actual scoring drives early in this game or takes advantage of what they were easily being given in the 2nd half, then they could say they did enough.

You can't completely choke on nearly half of your possessions AND say you did enough to win the game. Stats don't tell the tale of this one.

1. UK scored 27 pts....so that isn't amazing but it's decent amount of points.
Leary was 28-39 for 372 yards and 2 TDs and 0 interceptions
Ray was 16 rushes for 42 yards...2.6 YPC...(that is not good)
I think most UK fans felt like the passing was a breath of fresh air and more positive on that alone
2. UK defense gave up 33 pts
UT had to kick 4 FG which is good bend/not break...but another way to look at it is UT left a good bit of points on the board from their perspective.
UT ran for 47 rushes and 253 yards on 5.4 YPC...that is eye opening and when you get run on like this....you can't get the ball to your offense to score more.
Milton was 18-21 for 120 yards passing

All in all...I would give the offense a grade of A. If we didn't bog down twice on teh 35 yard line that resulted in missed FG and misssed 4th down and resulted in points...I'd give them a A+ grade. That group blocked a good TN pass rush and Leary/WR/TE were clean in no drops or execution.

THe Defense...I'd give a C- or D+ grade. THat groups lost the game more than any other group IMO.
- Yet again, Stoops/White play their safeties deep and teams go "thank you" and execute and drive the ball at UK. - Tennessee had no desire to want Milton to throw it around.....so UK obliged and let them run vs. make a team do something they dont' want to do.
- UK runs out a nickel package moving Phillips over the slot and Jordan Robinson at outside CB...and he gives up an easy TD. Jordan isn't ready to play...he's been terrible all year. It's been easy to see for weeks....then we pull him and put in Hardaway....but that was terrible coaching decisions all week in preparation.
-Finally, the hurry up Tennessee scheme...UK players are looking at sideline for signals and Dline are barely in stance when ball snaps. It's not like Tennessee hasn't done this for 3 years with Heupel...yet again we're not ready to play.

So poor coaching job vs. TN by Stoops/White for third year in a row.

Our offense
First drive- 3 and out
Our offense turned the ball over on downs 2x, gifting UT with 3 points on the first one.

How the fk does anyone with a brain think the offense did enough to win the game?
----

Side note- WHEN THE FK is this head coach going to figure out he has not 1 but 3 timeouts to use in the first half while his players are gassed and getting gashed? How many games are we going to back into halftime letting the other team score in a 2min offense because we can't manage the clock or our timeouts?

He KNOWS he's not saving those timeouts for us to run a 1min drill, because he's a knee taker/run the clock out kind of gal.

Listened to the post game with Tom Leach and listened to him make excuses about "things not being guaranteed" as if ANYTHING in the game of football is guaranteed. W . T . F .!!

Unless you're scoring 30+ a game...You are NOT doing enough especially, in the SEC! Check the scores!

Reactions: Docpath1972

Our offense
First drive- 3 and out

----

PREACH! If you flipped coaches, UK wins the game.

The defense sucked. The stats show that. We gave up 481yards Saturday. That's not good defense with ANY measuring stick.

Over the past three weeks we've given up nearly 1421 yrds and roughly 122 points.

That's TERRIBLE.
And the offense has scored 61! Won't win on 2023 cfb

Reactions: Blouman
Think UK had the ball one time the entire 2nd half that they could have taken the lead with a score and that was with the long FG attempt. Everytime we needed our defense to step up and make a stop they just didn’t. TN took over with 4 minutes plus remaining in the game and we had all 3 timeouts remaining and never got the ball back. Told my buddy via text that unless we force a 3 and out, we would never get the ball back. Seemed like UT just needed one first down on every drive to get things rolling. Offense could have done more sure, but UT could have scored again their last possession but ran the clock out instead. Both sides share the blame but offense outperformed the defense IMO.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Stats are relative in this day in age. Sometimes games become a shoot out with all the crazy offenses and qb/offense friendly rules. You have to be able to score 30 or 40 points a game.

Our offense
First drive- 3 and out

----

The offense absolutely did enough to win the game. The game for kentucky was lost in the first half when tenn ran through us like a hot knife through butter. Defense is ALWAYS king.

Last edited:
I'm glad everyone is putting their mouth on his member and ignoring the role the offense and the staff played in giving this game away. Not surprised
The offense wasn’t perfect but Joe Milton had 3 incompletions and the they ran up and down our defense most of which was after contact. Our secondary has been bad all year and it really showed up Saturday. Tennesse didn’t punt their first 5 possessions. If the offense has to be perfect to win the defense wasn’t good enough

Defense gave up 250 yards rushing and somehow the offense is to blame? Quite literally the defense need just one more stop the entire game and couldn’t tackle a little league team. So clearly you have no idea what you’re talking about. Blaming the offense for Saturday is ridiculous.

Last edited:
The passing game was tremendously better than it has been but then again could it have been worse? The run game wasn't on point but UT was sold out to stopping Davis. The defense, after having 2 straight games of getting ripped to shreds by opposing QB's, got decimated by the UT running game, which makes me worry if we can stop either part of opposing offenses.

• Sad
Reactions: catben
Think UK had the ball one time the entire 2nd half that they could have taken the lead with a score and that was with the long FG attempt. Everytime we needed our defense to step up and make a stop they just didn’t. TN took over with 4 minutes plus remaining in the game and we had all 3 timeouts remaining and never got the ball back. Told my buddy via text that unless we force a 3 and out, we would never get the ball back. Seemed like UT just needed one first down on every drive to get things rolling. Offense could have done more sure, but UT could have scored again their last possession but ran the clock out instead. Both sides share the blame but offense outperformed the defense IMO.
Yeah, and Stoops kicked a FG before that drive. I didn't understand that. you needed 7 or 8 to get with 1 or 2. Then you get the stop and a FG wins it. Lots of head scratchers during this game.

Reactions: grevey35
Freddie's right. We lostthat game because of defense. Leary had 327 passing yards IIRC. I'll take that every day

We lost by 6. Had the defense gotten ONE stop on one of those TD scoring drives.....Or stopped UT on the last drive instead of being a revolving door of first downs....giving up 481 yards is not a great defensive performance

Reactions: ala_kat2 and catben
We lost by 6. Had the defense gotten ONE stop on one of those TD scoring drives.....Or stopped UT on the last drive instead of being a revolving door of first downs....
Heck, our defense gave up 1 TD because the DB FREAKIN FELL DOWN!!!

That play alone probably cost us the game MORE than anything the offense didn’t do!!!

The offense wasn’t perfect but Joe Milton had 3 incompletions and the they ran up and down our defense most of which was after contact. Our secondary has been bad all year and it really showed up Saturday. Tennesse didn’t punt their first 5 possessions. If the offense has to be perfect to win the defense wasn’t good enough
UT also scored on their first 5 possessions in some shape or form. That's not an offense problem. It just isn't.

Yeah, and Stoops kicked a FG before that drive. I didn't understand that. you needed 7 or 8 to get with 1 or 2. Then you get the stop and a FG wins it. Lots of head scratchers during this game.

Kicking the FG in the 4th quarter was the right call. It was 4th down and a two score game. Kick the FG, make a stop, get the ball back to win. Plus the FG left more time on the clock for when your offense (hopefully) gets the ball back. Kicking the FG kept the game alive whereas a failed 4th down conversion would’ve ended it.

It was a 9 point game at that stage, you had to have 2 scores. Obviously the TD is preferred there but we got to 4th down and 2, you almost had to take the sure points there. Other head scratching play calls for sure but not there, easy call to make kicking the FG, if you go for it and miss then games over. Ended up being over anyway as we never got the ball back.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
It was a 9 point game at that stage, you had to have 2 scores. Obviously the TD is preferred there but we got to 4th down and 2, you almost had to take the sure points there. Other head scratching play calls for sure but not there, easy call to make kicking the FG, if you go for it and miss then games over. Ended up being over anyway as we never got the ball back.
Question at that point is do you want to lose by 6 or by 9. I'm not livid about it or anything, it's just more a reflection on his coaching style. Personally I'd go for it and see what happens.

As it was, we did get the FG, and 4 minutes was just not enough time to get the ball back when we couldn't stop them all game.

Question at that point is do you want to lose by 6 or by 9. I'm not livid about it or anything, it's just more a reflection on his coaching style. Personally I'd go for it and see what happens.

As it was, we did get the FG, and 4 minutes was just not enough time to get the ball back when we couldn't stop them all game.
I think it was the right choice.

We had a chance to stop them on 3rd and 7 from the UK 37 with 1:49 to go. If we stop them there, we get the ball back with 1:43 to go and 1 time out. Who knows what would have happened if our defense didn't let Milton just casually gain 11 yards on that play.

I think most coaches would have made the same decision.

I think it was the right choice.

We had a chance to stop them on 3rd and 7 from the UK 37 with 1:49 to go. If we stop them there, we get the ball back with 1:43 to go and 1 time out. Who knows what would have happened if our defense didn't let Milton just casually gain 11 yards on that play.

I think most coaches would have made the same decision.
Again, I'm not angry about it. Just think I'd try to get more there and then I have less yards to hopefully get for a score (FG range) . That way if UT did score again, it's at the worst 7 or 8 and I have to get a TD.

I also wonder why with the lack of defensive stoppage we didn't try an onside.

Again, I'm not angry about it. Just think I'd try to get more there and then I have less yards to hopefully get for a score (FG range) . That way if UT did score again, it's at the worst 7 or 8 and I have to get a TD.

If we had gotten a TD would had been a 2 point game. If Tn scores again we are right back to a 9 point game again unless we held to a FG to make it 5. But we had to get a stop one way or another which we just didn’t do so it was a rather moot point. Stoops would have been roasted with an onside kick there and rightfully so. You have to trust your defense to come up with a stop with over 4 minutes to go and three timeouts. See it happen all the time with less than 2 minutes to go honestly and all 3 timeouts. We just didn’t make the stop happen. As stated above 3rd and 7 was out best chance but didn’t even come close to stopping then.

I get it. As for the onside kick, way too much time for that. The onside kick rules make it so hard to recover the ball.

If we had gotten a TD would had been a 2 point game. If Tn scores again we are right back to a 9 point game again unless we held to a FG to make it 5. But we had to get a stop one way or another which we just didn’t do so it was a rather moot point. Stoops would have been roasted with an onside kick there and rightfully so. You have to trust your defense to come up with a stop with over 4 minutes to go and three timeouts. See it happen all the time with less than 2 minutes to go honestly and all 3 timeouts. We just didn’t make the stop happen. As stated above 3rd and 7 was out best chance but didn’t even come close to stopping then.
Only reason I suggested the onside is we hadn't done JACK to stop them all day, why not risk it and get the ball back? It all is a moot point and it's a football philosophy discussion at this point.

I get it. As for the onside kick, way too much time for that. The onside kick rules make it so hard to recover the ball.
I agree. I just knew we were getting the ball back with 4 to go though. UT was moving the ball pretty much at will all game until towards the red zone. I just had a gut feeling when we kicked that FG we weren't seeing the ball again. I was sadly right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT