ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Anderson rips Cal

Sad that DA would do this. Cal has been to four FF's in five years. Just got elected to the HOF, and he goes on the radio and bashes his coaching. Gimme a break. DA just lost himself a lot of fans IMO. He is/was one of my all-time favorite Cats. Really bad decision on his part. Imagine being Cal and hearing this.

Reactions: c1doc
LOL FOUR Final Fours in FIVE years and ONE NC you idiots claim Cal isn't a great coach. You do not deserve to be a UK fan!

Sorry, you don't get to decide who is a UK fan and who isn't.
If you can't see Cal's shortcomings (they are very few) then, I think we all know who the "idiot" is.
There are a handful of college coaches who are better at end of game X's and O's. Cal may in fact move into that group soon enough. But, he has a defensive mentality and late in games he sometimes defaults to the "we have enough points, lets just play it out" approach. It happened at Memphis vs. Kansas in the Championship game, at UK vs. UConn (x2) and against Whisky this year.
Why is it considered anti-UK to point out obvious shortcomings?

Highly doubt Cal runs them out. The question is, does he persuade them enough to stay? Part of me admires him for telling it like it is, unlike other coaches who will sub-consciously try to hold guys back for their own benefit. Part of also wishes he would do a bit more sometimes to get them to stay though...

Then again guys, we don't know the back story. I'm sure there have been guys under Cal who are in the category of "they can stay or they can go, I'm not putting a ton of effort and time into persuading them."

An undergraduate college degree doesn't go far these days if it isn't the write on and if you don't know the right people.

this is the thing that cracks me up the most. probably about 95% of football and basketball players that do graduate...get a degree in something complete worthless. if they end up "making it" off the field/court its because of their connections via basketball/football. not because of their degree.

this wanting kids to stay around 3 or 4 years is just creepy to me. fans act like they know these guys.

Sorry, you don't get to decide who is a UK fan and who isn't.
If you can't see Cal's shortcomings (they are very few) then, I think we all know who the "idiot" is.
There are a handful of college coaches who are better at end of game X's and O's. Cal may in fact move into that group soon enough. But, he has a defensive mentality and late in games he sometimes defaults to the "we have enough points, lets just play it out" approach. It happened at Memphis vs. Kansas in the Championship game, at UK vs. UConn (x2) and against Whisky this year.
Why is it considered anti-UK to point out obvious shortcomings?
This may well be the case - I have no objection to this claim.

But that's a far cry from the people who say that his understanding of the game is actually mediocre.

Two waaay different. claims.

You can say that Cal did set himself up for a lot of criticism making claims such as the team not watching film of their opponent, even if he might have had a valid reasoning behind it... fair or not.
Cal said as early as 2011 he did not watch film on the other teams, choosing to focus on what we ourselves do. He said it right after we had just beaten Ohio state and UNC. Why is everyone acting like this year was the first time he said it? I've heard it dozens of times. He has more NCAA tournament wins by far over the last 6 years than any other coach, and that's with missing the tournament one year.

Unbelievable. We really do have a ton of ridiculous fans.

Define "big" NCAA tournament games? Only the Final Four games in which he's lost? The man is effing 22-4 in NCAA tournament games while at UK. That's a winning percentage of 85%.

Just unbelievable.

Not saying he can win them all. No one can. But, it's easy to see a pattern, if you're willing to look. It'll be interesting to see how he adjusts to a shorter shot clock in end of game situations if the score is close. I would think you're going to need a bigger lead to "secure" a win with a 30 second shot clock.
Cal is a very good coach and he's perfect for the UK job. But, he isn't the best x's and o's coach out there.

I've always been a Derek Anderson fan but this makes me lose respect for him.He has a right to his opinions but doing this out in public just feels like a cheap shot at Cal.He could have just said these things to Cal's face without saying it to a Uk hater.
DA is a attention whore. Pressure UCONNS guards with slow ass twins & James Young...now should we have zoned them...hell yes.

He suggested that Dakari stay another year but it is the Johnson family call. Cal has won 6 of 7 from Rick...explain that DA? 4 final fours in five years.

How good has UMass & Memphis been since Cal has left. He didn't have a boat load of McDonalds kids at those schools. Guy is a great Coach...not perfect...somewhat conservative but to go 38-1 with the twins &non scoring WCS was impressive.

I wish he hadn't done it on a UL program but I AGREE 100% with Anderson. I love Cal, wouldn't want another coach, but he does things that piss me off very bad. Pushing out fringe players is one of them. Not to mention coaching mistakes in our biggest games each year.

Aside from the "stay in school and develop" - which is just false. Not how it works in 2015 - what did he say that isn't right? If this team played like the 96 cats - intensity, pressure, urgency - they whip Wisconsin by a decent margin.

Aside from all that...what coaches are you taking ahead if him? Only real argument would be K. Recruiting is #1, and you can't beat Cal in that department.

Anderson was being a real jackass by blasting our coach like that on the air in Louisville. You don't say shit like that as a former player in Louisville no matter how much you believe it. Is Cal supposed to threaten players into staying or something? Does Anderson not realize Cal would love nothing more than to have the majority of his players return every year instead of starting over year after year? I love how the asshat criticizes Cal for losing last year in the title game but gives him absolutely no credit in beating 3 of the previous years final four teams, as well as 2 seeded Wisconsin in the final four, in 4 straight down to the wire high pressure tournament games with a team of starting freshman who were in an absolute tailspin going into the Sec tournament. That was all pure talent and the one loss was coaching according to him. You can't have it both ways. Louisville may have beat them but why couldn't Louisville beat us? Why did UConn take out 2 other future hall of fame coaches in izzo and Donovan yet all we hear about is our 8th seeded team losing to them in the title game?

Why is it not mentioned we lost our best defensive player in the sweet 16 and should have probably gone out then like any not well coached team would have in that situation. He brings up how his teams scored a lot more. Well no shit DA, they weren't having wrestling matches and being karate chopped every single play. Coaches were not slowing the game down to a crawl. Oh, and there was absolutely no parity. Teams outside the top 15 very rarely beat one of those teams. It was kinda like women's basketball is today, but just a handful more good teams. Mid majors and the bottom of the conference teams were basically no threat at all back then. Much different today.

DA also makes it sound like any year that does not end in a title for Cal is a massive failure. Its OK that his coach had some absolutely huge chokes with teams that were loaded with upper class men and tons of talent, resulting in him only having one title here. Loved DA but he can shove it after his classless remarks.

Reactions: c1doc
I wish he hadn't done it on a UL program but I AGREE 100% with Anderson. I love Cal, wouldn't want another coach, but he does things that piss me off very bad. Pushing out fringe players is one of them. Not to mention coaching mistakes in our biggest games each year.

And what is your evidence that he pushes out fringe players?

Derek Anderson=Rex Chapman.Both made ASS' of themselves.While he certainly has every right to voice his opinion,sometimes it just pays to keep that hole in your face shut.
Alas,enough of this crap,when idiots are given a platform to spew garbage and make their voice heard on the airwaves,you get this kind of stuff.Some are going to agree with him and some aren't.I'm more focused on the 2015-16 edition of the Cats.

this is the thing that cracks me up the most. probably about 95% of football and basketball players that do graduate...get a degree in something complete worthless. if they end up "making it" off the field/court its because of their connections via basketball/football. not because of their degree.

this wanting kids to stay around 3 or 4 years is just creepy to me. fans act like they know these guys.

Exactly. A college degree is a borderline scam these days. And I work at a college.

Sounds like DA is trying to play on both sides of the fence. He loves UK, but he is a Pitino disciple, too.

I'm sure others have said it, but I will too.

Anderson is allowed to have an opinion. But why on earth would you voice that opinion on a show with two douche bags that despise everything UK and Calipari???

Just not very smart on his part. But hey DA, UL fans love you now, so you got that going for you.

Grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

That's how people who criticize Coach Cal is looking everything about his time at UK. Shame really. Borderline pathetic, actually.

Cal said as early as 2011 he did not watch film on the other teams, choosing to focus on what we ourselves do. He said it right after we had just beaten Ohio state and UNC. Why is everyone acting like this year was the first time he said it? I've heard it dozens of times. He has more NCAA tournament wins by far over the last 6 years than any other coach, and that's with missing the tournament one year.
I highly doubt that Cal himself doesn't watch film on opponents.

But the fact that he is so forthcoming that his players don't watch film.. it just gives his detractors something to point at when he does lose. I heard him claim this fact several times throughout the tournament this year. If we win, great, he's taking an innovative approach. When we lose, critics point the finger. So I ask, why say anything at all about it until you win all of your games?

Like I said, either way I don't care. I don't think spurning film study is a terrible coaching approach. Just my opinion on the situation.

I want to see one reference to Cal saying he doesn't watch tape. He says he doesn't show the players tape.

you wont get a response. but you already know that. they are standing firm on an opinion based of absolutely nothing.

You can tell who the whiny UK fans are by their posts in this thread. He tells DJ and Booker they should come back in his opinion...they go anyways. I guess people like 3rex and Zav boy want Cal to offer money like UNC does and fake classes to keep people like they did to win their 05 and 09 titles.

Last edited:
Hmmm I think he read everyone if my posts yesterday lol what he stated is pretty much word for word what I wrote.

It's becsuse it is the truth. We had 7 footers and never utilized that 7 feet. Had tons of depth and never used that to our advantage when we hit league play.
Most all our guys except Kat were ready for the league.
I would only draft 3 guys and all 3 are freshmen.
We never controlled the games pace. Always played at their pace. When the other teams ran we blew them out ie Arkansas and Auburn. Thus you push the damn pace. But nope we walk the ball up the court and run the clock down all the time.
To be honest we need a specialized coach. Like a Nazr coaching bigs, a former nba vet pg coaching guards. Etc
I think most of our bigs O is just simply woeful. We had just 1 guy down low in Kat who knew how to put it in the hole. Not Lee, not Johnson and certainly not WCS. All those guys should be dominate but yet they are not. WCS was sometimes being guarded by 6'6 guys and he had 7" on em but yet never scored on em at will like a top 10 pick should be doing.

I could go on and on but I am happy that we have Cal compared to other coaches. He has his flaws but what coach doesn't.

Coach Calipari is a victim of his own huge success. Everyone wants to bring him down, even people that pretend to be his friends.
Jealousy is an ugly thing.

Reactions: Brando Mac
Hmmm I think he read everyone if my posts yesterday lol what he stated is pretty much word for word what I wrote.

It's becsuse it is the truth. We had 7 footers and never utilized that 7 feet. Had tons of depth and never used that to our advantage when we hit league play.
Most all our guys except Kat were ready for the league.
I would only draft 3 guys and all 3 are freshmen.
We never controlled the games pace. Always played at their pace. When the other teams ran we blew them out ie Arkansas and Auburn. Thus you push the damn pace. But nope we walk the ball up the court and run the clock down all the time.
To be honest we need a specialized coach. Like a Nazr coaching bigs, a former nba vet pg coaching guards. Etc
I think most of our bigs O is just simply woeful. We had just 1 guy down low in Kat who knew how to put it in the hole. Not Lee, not Johnson and certainly not WCS. All those guys should be dominate but yet they are not. WCS was sometimes being guarded by 6'6 guys and he had 7" on em but yet never scored on em at will like a top 10 pick should be doing.

I could go on and on but I am happy that we have Cal compared to other coaches. He has his flaws but what coach doesn't.

after readying that i dont know you expect people to believe you when you say you are happy we have Cal. reading what you wrote...sounds like we had a shitty year

Cal has owned the genius Pitino... He even beat DA's team with just Camby once.... I'm done with DA, and to me it now stands for something besides Derek Anderson!!

I can't fault him for telling the truth, a coach should have some input on a kid going pro before they have what it takes to make it. Dakari is point on as a shouldn't go, he can't jump and missed 40 % of his under the basket attempts.

Anyone think Coach should have called a time out with 4 empty trips up 4 points. Yeah, we all love UK and we all have an opinion. Love Anderson and respect him...

Reactions: Abomb502Cat
I've always been a Derek Anderson fan but this makes me lose respect for him.He has a right to his opinions but doing this out in public just feels like a cheap shot at Cal.He could have just said these things to Cal's face without saying it to a Uk hater.
melanie i feel the same.He though the Cat Fans would not be mad at him he missed on that too

I can't fault him for telling the truth, a coach should have some input on a kid going pro before they have what it takes to make it. Dakari is point on as a shouldn't go, he can't jump and missed 40 % of his under the basket attempts.

Anyone think Coach should have called a time out with 4 empty trips up 4 points. Yeah, we all love UK and we all have an opinion. Love Anderson and respect him...

what proof do you have that Cal isnt providing input. do you not see that a coach can provide input on what to do but the kid does the opposite anyways? is that too hard to understand and consider?

all the things you mentioned about dakari....what is going to change with another year or two? he is what he is.

just insane how close minded some uk fans are. cant see the bigger picture. just selfishness.

Regardless of whether some of his points are on the money, what makes DA think the world was dying to know what he thought of Cal? These guys and their egos. Then fans respond with disappointment that he would throw Cal under the bus and he tells them to grow up. Chapmanesque.

So, all you posters hating on derek because he is saying what lots of other UK fans have been saying all along. Cal is not above criticism and some of it deserved, some of it is not deserved. There are things I wish Cal would change in his game plans and style of play, however, I can't think of another coach I want at UK but him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT