ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Anderson rips Cal

That's basically my view as well. Of course fans can say this or that is a flaw in his coaching style/approach, but Cal has put us in a great position to win it every year but one in the 6 years he's been here. No other coach has had as many FFs in that timeframe. Or wins in the tournament either. So, for having that chance to win it almost every year, we have to accept lots of early departures and questionable coaching decisions. Alternative is find a coach we think is better at fundamentals, but we won't get nearly as much talent. I hope he stays around a lot longer myself.

Excellent post.

Worshipped DA as a little kid. He can say what he wants, but wish he had done it on another forum though. Just adds fuel for the UK haters.

Reactions: Brando Mac
I actually think DA makes some valid points.
Very few players that come out of college after one year are ready to deal with what the league is going to throw at them. It's not just that they aren't physically ready. They aren't mentally ready for the wear and tear of a schedule that beats you down.
I have to agree with DA and his thoughts on Cal. We've seen that at Memphis and now at UK, he has trouble constructing a plan of attack in the big NCAA tourney games. Cal is a very good coach. Not a great coach. I'll probably get bashed for saying that but, it's what I believe. Cal is an amazing recruiter and good at developing young men's ability to play for their teammates. He does fall short in the end of game x's and o's department.
Now, having said all of that and agreeing with much of what DA said. He should NOT have made his rants publicly. Go meet with Call face to face and air your beefs like that. Don't go to the media, especially in Louisville. DA should know better.

I agree with every bit of this.

How many times have you heard, "let the players figure it out"?

It showed its ugly head against Wisconsin and we never did "figure it out".....

Wasn't it Coach CAL that even got DA to re-associate with UK in the first place??? I hadn't heard about him much before Coach CAL got here. In fact wasn't it Coach CAL who asked and allowed former UK players to use UK facilities anytime they needed it and invited them back to be part of the BBN.....It seems I don't remember that from Eddie Sutton until now...

Yep it's lonely at the top and DA, Coach CAL is at the top and will be, not you BUT, you know the funny thing...Coach CAL won't hold a grudge but it seems you may be....Geez

Looks like DA has been reading my posts about Cal's coaching in the big games and decided to make them public.

THANK GOODNESS that someone finally stands up and speaks some truth that doesn't follow the narrative that most UK fans want to push that everything that Cal does is 100% right all of the time and beyond reproach.

Calipari is a great coach, but basically pushing players that aren't ready for the NBA out the door so he can get his draft numbers up, and getting beaten by much less talented teams that he chose not to watch film on is getting more than a little bit old.

Some of you all need to wake up and smell the coffee. You would think that Wildcat legend after Wildcat legend (that know the game inside and out) coming out in opposition to many of Cal's tactics/antics would be enough for us to take a step back and question a few things.

These are guys that played in the NBA and benefited greatly financially from playing in the NBA and they keep saying that Cal basically pushing these guys out the door is wrong.

I mean my goodness, if they're saying these things then something is clearly wrong. These are guys that would love nothing more than to see UK guys dominate in the pros, but they're wanting the kids to stay in college. That should tell you all you need to know.

Cal is constantly pushing his agenda and we eat it up with a spoon and ask for seconds without thinking.

Kudos to guys like DA for having the courage to speak the truth without fear of repricution from our "fans" who bash anyone that chooses not to follow the Calipari narrative to a "T".

Wake up and listen to the UK legends who want the best for this program, because they're speaking the truth.

Just because a guy can get drafted doesn't mean he SHOULD attempt to go pro. Especially when he would benefit greatly from being around the greatest program in the sport and getting a college degree that will pay off when he's in the D-League.

If former NBA players are saying these guys should stay, then odds are good they should stay. Dont even get me started on Cal CHOOSING not to watch game film on opponents or practice free throws or call timeouts in crucial situations.

Stubbornness can be a good quality, but with Calipari, that stubbornness of his that makes him believe he's always the smartest man in the room has caused him to lose National championship after national championship.

Last edited:
First off didn't Cal say he told a couple of them ( dakari and Booker) that he thought another year would benefit them. But at the end of the day it was their decision. Back when he said 5-6 would be going but two were up in the air ......did into hear that in one of his interviews ?

I'm sure Cal would like to have the last four minutes if the game back and do something different. I'm sure he would like to have some of these guys back. Last season really stings. No reason for a former player or anybody to rub salt in the wound

Here are my thoughts:

“We won against pros and we dominated. We averaged 91 points a game. How many did this team average? 75?”

^ Agree with this take. Calipari let other teams control the tempo all year and that was stupid.

If Coach Cal wanted to keep these kids and develop them, he should tell them that.He’s just running them in and out. It’s not him, it’s not just him, it’s the parents. If my son is supposed to go second round, ‘Son, you need to stay in school, get your degree in case something happens, and also finish the job. Make sure you make these people know you can actually play.’ They’re just running them out of here.Like Dakari Johnson. I hope he makes it, but he’s a 7-footer who can’t jump. What’s he going to do with no degree when he’s done in two years?”

^ That's how Calipari is getting these kids- by telling them he'll support them with whatever they want to do. He can't have it both ways. Anderson's view right here is narrow.

“It’s sad to see this man. I never thought–if I was a coach, I wouldn’t allow it to happen. I would keep my players and develop them and teach them there’s a better, different way to do this.”

^ With all the pressure and media criticism the twins took, I think it was time for them to move on and chase their dream.

“Last year, when we went to the Final Four with [Julius] Randle and them, it was because of pure talent, and the reason we lost? Coaching. Why did Louisville beat [UConn] by 30? They pressured their guards. We let the kid Shabazz Napier–he walked the ball up and just shot in our face the whole night. I’m like, ‘did you not watch the tape of Louisville beating them? They pressured these guys.'”

^ This is just a stupid take. That was about match-ups. Louisville had small, quick guards WHO COULD pressure Napier and Boatwright. We didn't. We had the Harrisons and Young.

If you don't think the Harrisons & Young could have been effective pressuring the basketball all over the floor, then id say you're crazy. The reason we don't press has nothing to do with matchups. It's solely because Cal refuses to even consider using it.

THANK GOODNESS that someone finally stands up and speaks some truth that doesn't follow the narrative that most UK fans want to push that everything that Cal does is 100% right all of the time and beyond reproach.

Calipari is a great coach, but basically pushing players that aren't ready for the NBA out the door so he can get his draft numbers up, and getting beaten by much less talented teams that he chose not to watch film on is getting more than a little bit old.

Some of you all need to wake up and smell the coffee. You would think that Wildcat legend after Wildcat legend (that know the game inside and out) coming out in opposition to many of Cal's tactics/antics would be enough for us to take a step back and question a few things.

These are guys that played in the NBA and benefited greatly financially from playing in the NBA and they keep saying that Cal basically pushing these guys out the door is wrong.

I mean my goodness, if they're saying these things then something is clearly wrong. These are guys that would love nothing more than to see UK guys dominate in the pros, but they're wanting the kids to stay in college. That should tell you all you need to know.

Cal is constantly pushing his agenda and we eat it up with a spoon and ask for seconds without thinking.

Kudos to guys like DA for having the courage to speak the truth without fear of repricution from our "fans" who bash anyone that chooses not to follow the Calipari narrative to a "T".

Wake up and listen to the UK legends who want the best for this program, because they're speaking the truth.

Just because a guy can get drafted doesn't mean he SHOULD attempt to go pro. Especially when he would benefit greatly from being around the greatest program in the sport and getting a college degree that will pay off when he's in the D-League.

If former NBA players are saying these guys should stay, then odds are good they should stay. Dont even get me started on Cal CHOOSING not to watch game film on opponents or practice free throws or call timeouts in crucial situations.

Stubbornness can be a good quality, but with Calipari, that stubbornness of his that makes him believe he's always the smartest man in the room has caused him to lose National championship after national championship.

so much wrong in this post, its just disgusting.

Reactions: mapcatfan

Pretty sure Mike DeCourcy is not in the UK fanbase, and he crushes DA's comments. You start your post saying Cal is a "great coach" and then spend the rest of it saying the opposite.

One of my all time favorite Cats. He spoke his feelings. No problem with that all.
Makes some good points.

It's bad enough that our season ended with a loss but now to have to put up with the horseshit from Cal haters that had to wait 39 games before they could say,"see, I told ya so".

Reactions: LCLadyKat
I agree with Anderson. If you don't like it, get over it. Those kids who aren't ready, won't get any help when they're in the league if they can't play right away.

So, you agree that Cal "runs them in and runs them out", and that he gets no credit for the 5 wins in 2014, but all the blame for the loss in the finals? Good to know.
No, I agree that its absurd that players who will never play a single minute in the NBA leave early without being given proper advice. Look, if players are going to use our program to get to the league and come here for one year and leave that may make some of you happy but it doesn't me! The Anthony Davis's and Karl Towns of the world. ..I get that but some I dont, nor will I ever.

just another former cat who is loyal to pitino, not to uk. despite the openness Cal has embraced several former players that werent his...some just have their own ax to grind. probably feel bad for far pitino has fallen and is in the shadow of Cal and his superior success. just goes to show how "the name on the front of the jersey" stuff is just crap and doesnt matter.
No, I agree that its absurd that players who will never play a single minute in the NBA leave early without being given proper advice. Look, if players are going to use our program to get to the league and come here for one year and leave that may make some of you happy but it doesn't me! The Anthony Davis's and Karl Towns of the world. ..I get that but some I dont, nor will I ever.

what makes you think they dont get it? guys like twins, dakari and lyles....they were going pro after this year no matter what. doesnt matter what advice they were given. they were just going.

why do people assume cal is preventing these kids from getting information just because they end up leaving? simple minded

I remember in 1997, Pitino said Derek was able to play but he wouldn't let him risk injury again before the draft. DA should have manned up and played since he cares so much about winning.
The bastard probably just left Pitino's home and got his talking points, Cal owns Pitino and DA can't stand it.
What does he suggest Cal do, recruit lesser talent who stay for 4 yrs and lose to teams who load up on elite one and done talent?
How many of our players have had the drug problems, court battles that slime ball Rick's have had?
Other than all the transfers Pitino has due to drug problems, etc. how many has he developed over the 3-4 years who succeed in the NBA?
F-U Derek Anderson the decision is on the players and their families, Cal can advise and get them feedback but the decision is theirs. They can always return and finish school.

Reactions: c1doc
hmm. I wouldn't call that blasting him. We said what some of us think . Cal is alpha recruiter and a mediocre ( not BAD , middle of the road) bench coach. We were better than Uconn , WVU and Wisc but lost all three .
We are losing some players to the league that are not ready yet . Valid criticisms . Fair or not until Cal wins the big ONE again he is going to hear this from all circles , inner and out .
Were K's team's better than Mercer and Lehigh? Were Self's teams better than Bucknell and Bradley and Northern Iowa? Was Rick's team better than Morehead State?

This just happens in a single elimination tournament.

Yes, we should've won WVU. I'll put that on Cal, because he should've eviscerated the guys for shooting so many 3s.

UCONN was as hot as anybody in the country - you look at their seed and say "We should have crushed them". That's so dumb. They had just handled the prohibitive, dominant favorite in Florida by double digits and we didn't have the quick small guards to press them like Louisville.

That Wisconsin team was the best offensively rated team in the history of Kenpom. And their defense was damn strong too. They'd have been rated #1 most years. They would take a couple in a series from any dominant team in the modern era of CBB, and we didn't get a series. We got one game.
3 bad possessions which included a legendarily bad call in their favor which literally made the newspapers, and Cal is a mediocre coach? Do you guys realize how special four F4s in five years is? Shut. The. Hell. Up.

Mediocre Coach?

At UMASS, he took a program that had been to one NCAA tournament in history, in 1962, which was coming off of a bunch of losing seasons - they hadn't won their conference in 20 years.

And after a couple years of turning it around, went to 5 straight NCAA tournaments, averaging around 30 wins per season over that time, which included a sweet 16, and elite 8, and a final four.

"He did it because he had elite talent" I hear you cry, like the simple person you are.

He did all that with Marcus Camby and only one other player who even had a high D1 offer (Lou Roe). The rest were a bunch of kids from the Northeast that Bob Gibbons had never heard of.

Compare those results with Stevens, Marshall, and Shaka Smart, those brilliant prodigies who some of you simpletons think own a monopoly on "doing more with less".

Cal's resume at UMASS was arguably more impressive than any of theirs except Stevens, and Stevens had at least as much talent as Cal - he had a max contract NBA player lottery pick as well as a second NBA bench guy.

Oh yeah, and he didn't even have Camby for the first 30 win season with a sweet 16.

And when you say he has to win ANOTHER big one to quiet the criticism, why should we think you'll stop there?

If you for some reason thought he was incapable of doing it before 2012, and two Final Fours in 3 years since then have, for some inexplicable reason, caused the doubt to return, then I'm afraid there may be no help for you.

Cal should absolutely not be above criticism, but if Cal's performance at UK isn't good enough for you, then no coach since Wooden has had a five year span that would satisfy you.

Go home trolls, you're drunk. No, not everyone who wants more guys to stay is a troll or a dummy. That's a reasonable sentiment. I'm talking about anyone who claims Cal is a mediocre coach.

Last edited:
Did I miss something? Does Cal have the *authority* to make these kids stay in school? He obviously doesn't, so it makes no sense to bash Cal on this point. From what I've read and been told, Cal gives each player an honest evaluation of their chances at that point in time and lets them (and maybe their parents) make the call. To act like Cal could or should resort to whatever tactics he can think of to keep players from jumping to the NBA is just silly.

Reactions: GonzoCat90

And just how do you know they are not getting "proper advice"? We know for a fact that Cal has advised some players to stay and they left anyway. We also know that some players were given all the info that Cal gets from the NBA, and could have gone in the first round, but still came back. So, who exactly is Cal pushing out the door by giving them improper advice, and how do you know this?

Getting basically a new team to play together, full of visions of NCAA glory, and putting the record together that he has is beyond incredible and is much more than recruiting. You are somewhat limited about how complicated your "X and Os" can be when you have players that need to learn them and hard wire them in just a year, Last year he took a team that everyone wrote off after the USC loss and now he sucks because UCONN beat us in the finals ?!?. This year he took a team of freshmen and sophomores and held the basketball world's attention for an entire season. They held clinics and synposiums(sp?) on the best way to beat the Cats. We went from a has been program, thanks to Tubby and BCG, to becoming the face of college basketball. Yes he has made some coaching mistakes. Who hasn't in important games. When the Cats beat WSU, UW and UM in very close games I'm sure all those coaches could have done something better. Did Coach K not watch enough tape of Mercer?? DA is a UK icon and no one can change that but the bottom line if you smear the coach you are smearing the program, the players and the institution as well.
Many of you on here have never liked Cal or are delusional enough to think the only measure of success in a National Championship. If that's the case every team and coach in the NCAA is basically a failure.
I don't believe Cal is beyond reproach but he also deserves much more support and credit than he does criticism from a loyal fan base.

I'm not even going to argue about it...some of you will never understand other people's points of view because u have no interest in doing so. My bottom line: I agree with Anderson, I think it's ridiculous some of the players we have had declare for the Draft. Just my opinion and I know lots of others who share it.

Did not bother to read beyond op post. Looks like DA is simply helping his old coach recruit at the expense of his alma-mater. Nothing he said is even remotely true, whether or not a few think so. No coach would survive as long as Calipari has survived if recruits believed any of that crap. Seems to be an outright attack on Calipari's players first philosophy. And, where might that have originated? The UL basketball office.

There has GOT to be more to this story. Something must be going on behind the scenes.

Sad to see fans agreeing with Anderson in any way. Even calling Calipari a mediocre coach is vastly underrating him. I doubt he reads twitter or forums or any of this crap and I only hope it stays that way. Don't want any idiots making it easier for him to leave anytime soon.

Also, coaches controlling kids is an awful idea. Can you imagine the howling from the media if Cal tried to strongarm kids into staying against their gut feeling of wanting to go? Never mind the fact that it's unfair to the kids and would hurt recruiting.

College is supposed to prepare people for the next step of their life, usually professionally. As a basketball coach, Calipari does that as good as any other coach in the country. Period.

Same Derek Anderson that's sold more coke than a McDonalds on hot summer day. Sold more powdered donuts than a Krispy Kreme. Sold more rocks than Sotheby's.

I'm not even going to argue about it...some of you will never understand other people's points of view because u have no interest in doing so. My bottom line: I agree with Anderson, I think it's ridiculous some of the players we have had declare for the Draft. Just my opinion and I know lots of others who share it.

Amen. I'm all for the Anthony Davises, John Walls, KATs choosing UK knowing they may leave as top picks in the draft. But we have marketed ourselves now as basically "come here for a year & go with our blessings" whether you're the 1st pick, last pick, or no pick. It's ridiculous. Go somewhere else & do that.
Until then, as I've said for the last several years...let's bring in the next batch.

there are people in this planet with the opinion that 2+2=5 and that the world is flat. people have dumb opinions all the time. opinions that are not worth understanding because the opinions merits have little to nothing to stand on.

your claim that these kids arent getting proper advice is silly at best. they get all the advice. they just choose to go anyways. something you just arent capable of understand and accepting.

I didn't bash you for having a different opinion. I simply asked what you were basing it on.

Iam put off by this in a bad way. Lost alot of respect for Anderson. Seems like he's been having to many talks with Pitino.

Here are my thoughts:

“We won against pros and we dominated. We averaged 91 points a game. How many did this team average? 75?”

^ Agree with this take. Calipari let other teams control the tempo all year and that was stupid.

If Coach Cal wanted to keep these kids and develop them, he should tell them that.He’s just running them in and out. It’s not him, it’s not just him, it’s the parents. If my son is supposed to go second round, ‘Son, you need to stay in school, get your degree in case something happens, and also finish the job. Make sure you make these people know you can actually play.’ They’re just running them out of here.Like Dakari Johnson. I hope he makes it, but he’s a 7-footer who can’t jump. What’s he going to do with no degree when he’s done in two years?”

^ That's how Calipari is getting these kids- by telling them he'll support them with whatever they want to do. He can't have it both ways. Anderson's view right here is narrow.

“It’s sad to see this man. I never thought–if I was a coach, I wouldn’t allow it to happen. I would keep my players and develop them and teach them there’s a better, different way to do this.”

^ With all the pressure and media criticism the twins took, I think it was time for them to move on and chase their dream.

“Last year, when we went to the Final Four with [Julius] Randle and them, it was because of pure talent, and the reason we lost? Coaching. Why did Louisville beat [UConn] by 30? They pressured their guards. We let the kid Shabazz Napier–he walked the ball up and just shot in our face the whole night. I’m like, ‘did you not watch the tape of Louisville beating them? They pressured these guys.'”

^ This is just a stupid take. That was about match-ups. Louisville had small, quick guards WHO COULD pressure Napier and Boatwright. We didn't. We had the Harrisons and Young.

Not true. Derek is dead on on this one. Go back and watch the game. Only in desperation in the last few minutes did we start extending the defense and we actually bothered their guards and turned them over some, and when we didnt' we made them give the ball up. I remember it because it was the discussion point of everyone in the room watching it and we said - too late.

tumblr_inline_n4foafra0C1sew80h.jpg

was reading some of the comments before I came back here and this one jumped out to me

----------------------------

While I love what Cal has done here, I firmly believe he has a slightly different set of goals than we, as fans, do for the Kentucky Basketball Program.

His goals (as I see them reflected in his comments and approach) are to 1) Send as many kids to the NBA as fast as possible to make an insane amount of money (compared to the median household income in Kentucky of $43,400/year). 2) Win a lot of games. 3) Be in the discussion for the National Title

Our goals seem to be 1) Win the National Title. 2) Win a lot of games. 3) Hold on to our players as long as possible, then send them to the NBA when finished here, so that they can make unfathomable amounts of money.

It kind of feels like we are being used to make others incredibly wealthy and we get some of our goals met, but not the ones that are most important to us.
-------------

now I know how absurd is sounds to act like we deserve more national championships than the one Cal just won 3 years ago, but I can see reasonable fans taking the view of the comments above.

here is the thing about guys leaving early for the draft before they are ready - the moment Cal stops sending kids to the NBA early, then Cal has to recruit on an even playing field with UNC ,Kansas and a host of other schools - we've already seen what can happen when Duke decided to be like us. So yea, we may have had some Dakari Johnsons who don't seem as ready for the NBA as they for another year of school, but if the NBA is going to pay them, we have to let them go so the next 5 Dakari Johnsons will have UK in their final 3 schools on their decisions day.

Our approach may be the difference in us getting 1 or 2 McD's in a good year (partly because we won't have the spots) versus the 3-5 we contend for every year. Once you stop the momentum of bringing them in , then you're going to hit a wall because you've opened the door for someone else.

For me personally, I still remember the Gillispie years and the crippling fear I had that this may be UK basketball for the next decade. I'm more worried about fans that have lost perspective on all of this f'ing it up and pissing Cal off than I'll ever worry about whats going on currently in the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatInNC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT