ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Anderson rips Cal

Wow. I am just floored at his doing this in public. To Loserville fans at that. You can agree with some of his points or not, but I think he took it too far and basically aired dirty linen as they used to say. I can't imagine Cal is going to be very receptive to his "constructive criticism". Pretty much threw Cal under the bus and ran over him multiple times. Sad.

I think we've seen that former players can have pretty terrible opinions and do really idiotic things. Isn't a shock and doesn't really register with me one way or another. For every former Cat who has negative views, there's a dozen just as good with positive ones.

Looks like DA has been reading my posts about Cal's coaching in the big games and decided to make them public.

If DA played today he would've left early too. Just a different era with different rules and different accepted ways of doing business.

What he says about college basketball being better in his era is absolutely true. The sport was far better in nearly every way back in the 90s. But that ain't Cal's fault.

Wow. I am just floored at his doing this in public. To Loserville fans at that. You can agree with some of his points or not, but I think he took it too far and basically aired dirty linen as they used to say. I can't imagine Cal is going to be very receptive to his "constructive criticism". Pretty much threw Cal under the bus and ran over him multiple times. Sad.

This. Even if it is a common perception/thought or not, don't air it publicly. Especially to our rival fan base.

His points are valid, and nothing exceptionally far fetched, but not this way DA

Mehh... If DA played today he would've left early too. Just a different era with different rules and accepted ways of doing business.

What he says about college basketball being better in his era is absolutely true. The sport was far better in nearly every way back in the 90s. But that ain't Cal's fault.

Absolutely.

I'm always intrigued by the "he should have made them stay in school" thing. The whole issue with that mindset is that Cal has built his program around the opportunity to leave school early. Succeed and proceed and all that.

You can't preach that and then when they have a chance to go look at their family with a straight face and say, "You know what. Maybe your son should come back to Kentucky for another year."

The NBA is an inexorable part of this whole deal.

Here are my thoughts:

“We won against pros and we dominated. We averaged 91 points a game. How many did this team average? 75?”

^ Agree with this take. Calipari let other teams control the tempo all year and that was stupid.

If Coach Cal wanted to keep these kids and develop them, he should tell them that.He’s just running them in and out. It’s not him, it’s not just him, it’s the parents. If my son is supposed to go second round, ‘Son, you need to stay in school, get your degree in case something happens, and also finish the job. Make sure you make these people know you can actually play.’ They’re just running them out of here.Like Dakari Johnson. I hope he makes it, but he’s a 7-footer who can’t jump. What’s he going to do with no degree when he’s done in two years?”

^ That's how Calipari is getting these kids- by telling them he'll support them with whatever they want to do. He can't have it both ways. Anderson's view right here is narrow.

“It’s sad to see this man. I never thought–if I was a coach, I wouldn’t allow it to happen. I would keep my players and develop them and teach them there’s a better, different way to do this.”

^ With all the pressure and media criticism the twins took, I think it was time for them to move on and chase their dream.

“Last year, when we went to the Final Four with [Julius] Randle and them, it was because of pure talent, and the reason we lost? Coaching. Why did Louisville beat [UConn] by 30? They pressured their guards. We let the kid Shabazz Napier–he walked the ball up and just shot in our face the whole night. I’m like, ‘did you not watch the tape of Louisville beating them? They pressured these guys.'”

^ This is just a stupid take. That was about match-ups. Louisville had small, quick guards WHO COULD pressure Napier and Boatwright. We didn't. We had the Harrisons and Young.

I think a lot of UK fans would agree with several of his complaints.

Not sure I agree with his comments regarding the UCONN game.

Louisville pressuring them was one thing. The Harrison twins putting pressure on those guards is another.

Feel like Napier and Boatright would have just sliced up our backcourt had we run at them like that.

Reactions: brianpoe
Feel bad for the Louisville fans lurking and posting here that can only celebrate when our former players bash our coach/program, our team loses, and when teams from their conference win the title... instead of, you know, having to face the reality that they have a second rate program that's getting smoked by UK in every facet of the game.

I loved DA when he played. One of my all-time favs, but he is obviously out of touch with today's game. He sounds like some old timer saying "back in my days things were better." Well guess what, this isn't 1997. The game has changed. Deal with it. Don't criticize Cal. He didn't create the rules. He just plays by them.

I don't like the fact that Anderson voiced his opinion, one that U of L fans often throw around, about Cal's coaching on U of L radio. With that said, he is absolutely right in that we should have won it all last year and this year.

I think a lot of UK fans would agree with several of his complaints.

Agree. And for those who complain about airing his views at L'ville's fan base...the last I knew, there were as many UK fans in L'ville as UL fans. And if he would have said it on a Lexington station, only UK fans would have heard it?

Agree. And for those who complain about airing his views at L'ville's fan base...the last I knew, there were as many UK fans in L'ville as UL fans. And if he would have said it on a Lexington station, only UK fans would have heard it?

And what percentage of their listening audience do you think is made up of UK fans? If you think it's above 5%, you're crazy.

Many valid criticisms, except the UCONN comment. Just a poor way to handle it and definitely came off as harsh.

Didn't Cal help him sell some Wildcat Water or something like that; plus a book? What a way to repay kindness.

It's a different era, first and foremost....but, DA does bring up some good points and isn't totally wrong, specifically about the game against UConn. Why didn't they watch the tape? One thing I would say is, UK's guards weren't built to pressure UConn but Louisville played that way all year. You get to the final game, its not time to change how you play. But if Julius wasn't hurting in that game and if that charge wasn't called on Poythress the game goes the other way.

And I think DA is speaking more of a fan in this sense, he's upset like most people are...they didn't "finish the job" as he said. If they won and then they left, people wouldn't be as upset. But they leave for their goal when we as fans don't get to reach our goals. DA is speaking as a fan, which is fine. He is a fan. He is loyal to UK and has proven that.

But I will say this, we lived by this for 6 years and its too late to go back. Cal has had his issues as a coach sure, but at the same time, he took us on a wild ride in 11 and 14 were he truly showed his ability to coach and manage players. Seasons that ended short of the ultimate goal but were still fun.

Good point...I guess it's more the fact that slobbering Deener was eating it all up.

cal does some stupid(imo) things coaching. ive never been a fan of his x&o.
but final 4 4 out of 5 years has just been done by wooden, ratface and cal. got to be doing something right. so in cal I trust

Absolutely.

I'm always intrigued by the "he should have made them stay in school" thing. The whole issue with that mindset is that Cal has built his program around the opportunity to leave school early. Succeed and proceed and all that.

You can't preach that and then when they have a chance to go look at their family with a straight face and say, "You know what. Maybe your son should come back to Kentucky for another year."

The NBA is an inexorable part of this whole deal.

Exactly, it's the whole deal with the devil aspect of what Cal's created. The upside is we get more NBA-bound players than anybody else. The downside is it comes with the implicit promise that he'll run em through here and onto the money as fast as possible. That's what's made Cal so enticing to these hotshots--he's known as the fastest path to the money.

If Cal's players ever stop leaving after only one or two year that's when the whole thing starts to break down, they essentially have to keep leaving early to maintain the kingmaker reputation Cal's built.

Last edited:
Coulda woulda shoulda....DA it happens. Every coach and team can look back and said if only we would have done this or that. I'm sure Notre Dame fans feel the same way after letting the game slip away this year. If only Pitino would have put someone on the guy throwing the ball in bounds in 92. If only Pitino would had our players not get in Simon and Bibby's face and allow them to blow by our guards for easy jump shots all night in 97.

hmm. I wouldn't call that blasting him. We said what some of us think . Cal is alpha recruiter and a mediocre ( not BAD , middle of the road) bench coach. We were better than Uconn , WVU and Wisc but lost all three .
We are losing some players to the league that are not ready yet . Valid criticisms . Fair or not until Cal wins the big ONE again he is going to hear this from all circles , inner and out .

Maybe he placed a large 40-0 bet the on the last two seasons? haha

I'm not really sure what the point of a rant like this is. It's shortsighted to think that most players who have the opportunity to go in the draft won't jump at the chance to do so. That's just the way it is anymore if you recruit the elite. Even Coach K has to play that game now. However, it's a model that can work if all the pieces come together.

About leaving school without a degree.. I don't get the point there. Make money at basketball while your body and talent will allow it. You can always come back later.

As for the coaching? I've had my gripes, but not sure I would air my concerns on the radio like that.

It's a different era, first and foremost....but, DA does bring up some good points and isn't totally wrong, specifically about the game against UConn. Why didn't they watch the tape? One thing I would say is, UK's guards weren't built to pressure UConn but Louisville played that way all year. You get to the final game, its not time to change how you play. But if Julius wasn't hurting in that game and if that charge wasn't called on Poythress the game goes the other way.

And I think DA is speaking more of a fan in this sense, he's upset like most people are...they didn't "finish the job" as he said. If they won and then they left, people wouldn't be as upset. But they leave for their goal when we as fans don't get to reach our goals. DA is speaking as a fan, which is fine. He is a fan. He is loyal to UK and has proven that.

But I will say this, we lived by this for 6 years and its too late to go back. Cal has had his issues as a coach sure, but at the same time, he took us on a wild ride in 11 and 14 were he truly showed his ability to coach and manage players. Seasons that ended short of the ultimate goal but were still fun.

That's basically my view as well. Of course fans can say this or that is a flaw in his coaching style/approach, but Cal has put us in a great position to win it every year but one in the 6 years he's been here. No other coach has had as many FFs in that timeframe. Or wins in the tournament either. So, for having that chance to win it almost every year, we have to accept lots of early departures and questionable coaching decisions. Alternative is find a coach we think is better at fundamentals, but we won't get nearly as much talent. I hope he stays around a lot longer myself.

Reactions: mapcatfan
I bet if he had a chance to make million s he would have took it after 1 yr 2 yrs what ever, I for get how long he was at Ky.

DA was one of my favorites but he is way off base here. How the hell would he keep someone that wanted to leave, from going? Does he really think Cal isn't telling them they need another year? NONE of our guys are truly ready for the NBA but that's todays system. If the money is there, you have to take it.

Reactions: Desperado_1955
Weak.

Love the argument about..."Louisville pressured UCONN and won by 30..."

Why didn't Florida figure that out? Isn't Billy D Pitino's protege?

For that matter, why couldn't Pitino figure out how to beat Cal last year...twice?

When Cal wins it's talent. When he loses it's coaching. Rinse and repeat. Even our ex-players are trolling.

Reactions: jman3715
So let me get this straight...Derek Anderson aka "DA Prosecutor" of Master P's No Limit Soldiers doesn't think players should leave to get paid when they get the chance?

btw....Derek Anderson is one of my fav Cats of all time, so this article pains me much.

ADVERTISEMENT