ADVERTISEMENT

D1 SEC Preview

CockyCat3

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2021

Kentucky

Head Coach: Nick Mingione
2021 Record: 29-23 (12-18)

Strengths: Kentucky has worked hard to improve its defense in the last two years, and now it might be one of the best defensive clubs in the country, led by two standout defenders on the left side of the infield (SS Ryan Ritter and 3B Chase Estep) and a very talented catcher (Alonzo Rubalcaba). The offense should be plenty capable after getting a boost from the addition of four quality D-I transfers. And the rotation has a chance to be a strength as well with four power arms who just need to harness their potential.

Question Marks: The pitching staff is talented but has a lot of room for improvement after ranking 12th in the SEC with a 4.93 ERA last year. A big key is whether RHP Zack Lee and Madgiel Cotto can translate their huge raw stuff into consistent productivity, and whether transfer Tyler Bosma can make a seamless transition from Miami (Ohio) to the SEC. There’s also a lack of experience in the everyday lineup, with just two returning hitters who have a significant number of SEC at-bats under their belts.

Star Power: Ritter is the most talented defensive shortstop in America, a human highlight reel who can make all the plays and takes good care of the baseball. He’s also made dramatic offensive improvements since arriving as a juco transfer in the fall of 2020, and his strong performance on the Cape and in fall ball (when he hit over .400) portend big things to come this spring. Cole Stupp was the Friday night starter a year ago and held his own against some of the league’s biggest stars, including Vandy’s Kumar Rocker and MSU’s Will Bednar. His velocity ticked up into the 90-93 range this fall, and his changeup is devastating. He should improve mightily upon last year’s 4.76 ERA and be one of the SEC’s better aces.

210425Alabama04_SC.jpeg
Ryan Ritter, Kentucky (UK photo)

Glue Guys: Rubalcaba is a major key to the defense, with excellent catch-and-throw skills and an advanced ability to handle the pitching staff. He missed much of last season due to injury, but having him healthy again is huge in 2022. Arizona State transfer Hunter Jump is a mature hitter with a knack for finding the barrel and churning out quality at-bats, making him an important cog in the lineup. 1B Jake Plastiak, Ritter, Stupp and veteran reliever Daniel Harper are the leaders on this club.

Pick to Click: This team is brimming with breakout candidates looking to build off encouraging summers and falls. The switch-hitting Plastiak is one, after leading the Draft League in homers last summer. Estep made a big jump offensively in the fall, leading the team in extra-base hits and homers. Lee and Cotto both made progress with their command and pitchability in the fall, giving them both chances to be high draft picks and impact SEC starters.

Top Newcomers: Jump and hulking Hawaii transfer Adam Fogel both established themselves in the fall as two of the team’s better hitters; they are mature players who should have no trouble adjusting to the SEC. The step up is steeper for CF John Thrasher, who hit .369 with 7 homers and 37 steals at Hartford last year, but if he can adjust to the level of competition then his speed gives him a lot of value. On the mound, Cotto pitched at 93-96 and touched 97 in the fall from the left side. But Kentucky’s best pitcher in the fall was Eastern Kentucky transfer Darren Williams, who owns a quality four-pitch mix including a 91-94 fastball. He could pitch in any role UK needs him to fill. Another EKU transfer, Daniel Harris IV, is another mature veteran hitter who should add depth to the lineup.

Outlook: Kentucky was only an SEC win or two away from serious bubble consideration last year, and this roster looks deeper and more versatile. If the talented arms can harness their full potential and the transfers in the lineup settle in and handle the SEC grind, this team has Top 25 upside. But those are legitimate question marks.

From the Fall Report:
It’s safe to say Kentucky head coach Nick Mingione is ready to get over the hump.
It seems like an eternity ago, but back in 2018, Kentucky had all the hallmarks of an NCAA postseason team but fell just short of a bid after losing its first game of the SEC tournament. The Wildcats haven’t felt that close to a bid since.
UK struggled in 2019, was off to an 11-6 start in 2020 and went 12-18 in the league last season, while also compiling a respectable overall record. But in the SEC, overall record doesn’t mean much. It’s all about how you do in league play, and if you make the postseason. And in that sense, UK still has much to prove.
Looking ahead to 2022, there are plenty of reasons to believe UK will be much better. The Wildcats return several players from last year’s club and welcome several experienced transfers both on the mound and offensively. Most importantly, of those 12 conference wins last season, UK returns every pitcher who accounted for those wins. Sure, not a deal breaker, but something that should give Mingione and his coaching staff some cautious optimism. … CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING THE FULL IN-DEPTH TEAM REPORT

That's a lot more optimistic than I've felt all offseason. I saw they also have Mizzou finishing last in the East, not us.

Dare we dream?

Reactions: parrott
That's a lot more optimistic than I've felt all offseason. I saw they also have Mizzou finishing last in the East, not us.

Dare we dream?

Pretty much everyone has Missouri finishing last. They're likely going to be absolute garbage.

Reactions: KYExtemper
This team is nothing but question marks for me.

Who starts in the OF? How good will the OF be offensively and defensively?

How will Plastiak adjust to playing 1B? Can he hit like he did in the SEC (.262), or will he hit like he did in the OOC (.209)?

Harris or Pitre at 2nd? How will either of them hit?

Can Ritter really hit all year like he did in the summer? If so, look out.

Estep will see SEC pitching for the second year, will he improve or will we get similar?

What role does Church play? How does he adjust at the plate?

I mean… hitting across the board is just one giant question mark as I don’t know that I really trust anyone to come in and put up big numbers. Not saying that they can’t or won’t. Just a matter of will they and who? Contrast that to last year… we knew Collett would mash the ball. Not as much about his average, but at least knew he’d crush it when he it. Schultz, we knew could hit for a high average considering he’d done for a year and a bit.

We return a whole lot of pitchers and we add in some experienced arms with that.

How much do Stupp and Lee improve? They had the 25th and 27th lowest ERA among SEC starting pitchers. Not the most ideal numbers. However, they were also facing league hitting for the first time. So how much do they improve? Control wasn’t an issue too much as they didn’t give up a ton of long balls nor a ton of walks, but that could be a good thing or a bad thing. I say bad because it means they were pretty hittable given their ERAs.

Who else starts? Harney? Cotto? Williams? Bosma? Guilfoil? Does Lee get bumped? How’s Hagenow, and what will his role be? If Harney doesn’t start will he just be a utility pitcher out of the pen, or have a defined role, as there is talk of Williams (IIRC) being the closer?

How do all the new transfers adjust?

How long will Hazelwood be out?

How do Logue, Strickland, and Hudepohl get used and what strides do they make in year 2? Also, Byers, the RS, what role will he have?

Does anyone redshirt? What freshmen play and how much?

Degen was used more at the end of the year, but he seems to be underutilized. Does that change? Will Harper have a bigger role and continue to pitch pretty well?

I could probably do this all day long. With all these question marks it is extremely hard for me to really tell how this team might do. I’m not overly optimistic because I’ve largely lost faith in Mingione. Still, there are a lot of pieces there that could play some solid baseball and make us a contender. We weren’t all that far off a year ago, just needed a game or two more. So, it isn’t out of the question that we could improve and get those 2 games needed. Especially given we have kind of a favorable schedule with Auburn and TAMU on it, as well as Missouri. We’re getting closer to these being answered.

I will say this though... I feel like D1Baseball is always very optimistic in these previews. Don't think they want to offend. Seems like most teams have pretty glowing reviews.

This team is nothing but question marks for me.

Who starts in the OF? How good will the OF be offensively and defensively?

How will Plastiak adjust to playing 1B? Can he hit like he did in the SEC (.262), or will he hit like he did in the OOC (.209)?

Harris or Pitre at 2nd? How will either of them hit?

Can Ritter really hit all year like he did in the summer? If so, look out.

Estep will see SEC pitching for the second year, will he improve or will we get similar?

What role does Church play? How does he adjust at the plate?

I mean… hitting across the board is just one giant question mark as I don’t know that I really trust anyone to come in and put up big numbers. Not saying that they can’t or won’t. Just a matter of will they and who? Contrast that to last year… we knew Collett would mash the ball. Not as much about his average, but at least knew he’d crush it when he it. Schultz, we knew could hit for a high average considering he’d done for a year and a bit.

We return a whole lot of pitchers and we add in some experienced arms with that.

How much do Stupp and Lee improve? They had the 25th and 27th lowest ERA among SEC starting pitchers. Not the most ideal numbers. However, they were also facing league hitting for the first time. So how much do they improve? Control wasn’t an issue too much as they didn’t give up a ton of long balls nor a ton of walks, but that could be a good thing or a bad thing. I say bad because it means they were pretty hittable given their ERAs.

Who else starts? Harney? Cotto? Williams? Bosma? Guilfoil? Does Lee get bumped? How’s Hagenow, and what will his role be? If Harney doesn’t start will he just be a utility pitcher out of the pen, or have a defined role, as there is talk of Williams (IIRC) being the closer?

How do all the new transfers adjust?

How long will Hazelwood be out?

How do Logue, Strickland, and Hudepohl get used and what strides do they make in year 2? Also, Byers, the RS, what role will he have?

Does anyone redshirt? What freshmen play and how much?

Degen was used more at the end of the year, but he seems to be underutilized. Does that change? Will Harper have a bigger role and continue to pitch pretty well?

I could probably do this all day long. With all these question marks it is extremely hard for me to really tell how this team might do. I’m not overly optimistic because I’ve largely lost faith in Mingione. Still, there are a lot of pieces there that could play some solid baseball and make us a contender. We weren’t all that far off a year ago, just needed a game or two more. So, it isn’t out of the question that we could improve and get those 2 games needed. Especially given we have kind of a favorable schedule with Auburn and TAMU on it, as well as Missouri. We’re getting closer to these being answered.

I will say this though... I feel like D1Baseball is always very optimistic in these previews. Don't think they want to offend. Seems like most teams have pretty glowing reviews.
D1baseball name drops and fluffs as much as possible. It's how they get clicks, which is how they make money. However, they do speak to the coaches directly about how they feel and what they are thinking, so I've always found that the parts they cover about who is going to play and the thoughts on lineups tend to be pretty accurate because these usually come straight from the coaches mouth. The fact that Lee, Cotto and Bosma we mentioned first in the article tend to make me think that those 3 are gunning for the Saturday and Sunday spots.

Williams was a closer earlier in his career, so I think there is a good chance he goes back to that role, but I could so see Guilfoil step into that role since that's where he has been in his career.

I'd be really surprised if the OF was anything but Jump, Thrasher, and Fogel until they prove that they shouldn't be. The main question mark in my mind is will Harris or Pitre be at 2B. I think the rest is pretty well set. I think Harris transferred in thinking he was going to be the guy at 2B but Pitre is playing well. I wonder if Pitre may be used as an IF utility guy to give some people days off?

Reactions: dtjr and parrott
D1baseball name drops and fluffs as much as possible. It's how they get clicks, which is how they make money. However, they do speak to the coaches directly about how they feel and what they are thinking, so I've always found that the parts they cover about who is going to play and the thoughts on lineups tend to be pretty accurate because these usually come straight from the coaches mouth. The fact that Lee, Cotto and Bosma we mentioned first in the article tend to make me think that those 3 are gunning for the Saturday and Sunday spots.

Williams was a closer earlier in his career, so I think there is a good chance he goes back to that role, but I could so see Guilfoil step into that role since that's where he has been in his career.

I'd be really surprised if the OF was anything but Jump, Thrasher, and Fogel until they prove that they shouldn't be. The main question mark in my mind is will Harris or Pitre be at 2B. I think the rest is pretty well set. I think Harris transferred in thinking he was going to be the guy at 2B but Pitre is playing well. I wonder if Pitre may be used as an IF utility guy to give some people days off?

Yea, there is a lot of pump there. Those three do make the most sense as possible Saturday/Sunday guys. Cotto got in early in the first fall scrimmage and pitched a lot and well. Bosma, IIRC, wasn't featured as much in that one, and neither was Lee.

Kind of wouldn’t surprise me if it remains somewhat fluid, with the staff still feeling out who might be best early on.

I don’t know how they play anyone else in the OF there, but Liebert was listed as OF and C, so it seems possible that he could see time out there.

Overall, the use of players will be interesting.

Plastiak
Church
Harris
Pitre
Ritter
Estep
Rubalcaba
Liebert
Burkes

9 guys that are all eligible to play and can’t really be redshirted who are all vying for 5 positions.

Thrasher
Jump
Anu
Fogel
McCarthy
Liebert

Here you have 6 that will be fighting for 4 spots, if you include DH.

So how they use these extra players and what roles they have will be interesting.

Reactions: parrott
Yea, there is a lot of pump there. Those three do make the most sense as possible Saturday/Sunday guys. Cotto got in early in the first fall scrimmage and pitched a lot and well. Bosma, IIRC, wasn't featured as much in that one, and neither was Lee.

Kind of wouldn’t surprise me if it remains somewhat fluid, with the staff still feeling out who might be best early on.

I don’t know how they play anyone else in the OF there, but Liebert was listed as OF and C, so it seems possible that he could see time out there.

Overall, the use of players will be interesting.

Plastiak
Church
Harris
Pitre
Ritter
Estep
Rubalcaba
Liebert
Burkes

9 guys that are all eligible to play and can’t really be redshirted who are all vying for 5 positions.

Thrasher
Jump
Anu
Fogel
McCarthy
Liebert

Here you have 6 that will be fighting for 4 spots, if you include DH.

So how they use these extra players and what roles they have will be interesting.
I saw where they also had Ritter as Third Team PreSeason All American.
He was fun to watch last year defensively.
I hope his summer hitting continues this year.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
That was a great read.

Looking forward to catching a couple of games at KPP. First series starts on the 18th at Jacksonville State and hopefully we get the season off to a good start. I don't know much about them.

I hate to be a downer, but the D1 previews are excessively optimistic every year. It's like they want to sell tickets to each fanbase only for reality to smack some of us in the face when we actually see our team perform.

Either way, I have my tickets and hoping for the best this year!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT