ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

2003%20gcr%20engine%204960%20front.JPG

Last edited:
My unit was directly involved in the fratricide incident you describe as well as another at PL Bullet during Desert Storm. I refuse to discuss specifics or names. Let me just say some participants remain pissed off to this day. Sickens me to even mention it.

Here's GAO report: https://www.gao.gov/assets/osi-93-4.pdf
Austin — The CG of the 1st ID, Major Gen. Thomas Rhame, tried his best to cover up those Friendly Fire deaths. But I’d been out there as the chief pool correspondent for over a month by then and had sources who leaked to me that Lt. Col. Ralph Hayles had killed those guys. I had interviewed Hayles a couple times by then, ironically on the subject of avoiding Friendly Fire, so it surprised me.

I went to Rhame’s PAO and told him I was filing a pool report for all media whether Rhame commented or not, but if he didn’t it would be clear he was covering up. It was a bit of a bluff —but it worked. Rhame gave me a statement and I filed the report. Rhame then relieved Hayles of command and sent him home —the only American officer ever relieved of command in a combat zone for a FF incident.

About an hour after I sent it back to Dhahran via satellite fax, I heard it on CNN and the BBC. It became a huge story.

In that case, the role of having correspondents with front line units worked. No way should the deaths of those young guys been covered up by the Army. I felt bad for Hayles but a lot worse for the families of the KIAs.

Last edited:
Like 5' from losing the same way we did Friday night, but CF caught final out backing against wall with bases loaded. 15-13 pitchers' duel. I'll take it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT