ADVERTISEMENT

Billy D (Timeline)

DraftCat

Senior
Nov 5, 2011
What's the timeline on this? Doesn't transfer portal end on May 1st....

Play in game for Chicago would be April 16th.

Doesn't leave Billy much time to field a team if we wait.

He'd have to tell Chicago good bye before the playoffs would he do it?

You’d have to get a yes from a tier 2 guy , then hope Billy loses play in game…take tier 2 guy if he wins , but Billy if he loses game

Maybe not but would be the best long term hire and they would work back channels to get transfers. Honestly if he takes the job he should just step down. He is on his way out with those losers in chicago anyway. Their front office sucks.

First year construction would be seamless if you get a coach who already has a good roster/recruiting class.

Starting at zero, and not hiring him until the third week of April...likely means Donovan's team isn't very good in 2024-25.

Rick Barnes' first few years at UT level and likely, nowhere close to what the previous coach would put on wax.

They would have to have a 120% assurance he would take it if we wait. If we waited and then backed out. OMG!!!!

Reactions: Fox2monk
I don't think we need to be worried at all about what's available in the portal. It really doesn't compare in importance to getting a coach. Most fans would expect a rebuild is necessary when a coach has left. That would be one of the reasons why the contract is for five years or more. It takes time to implement a new system.

Play-in game is April 17 which is next Wednesday. If they lose, which is likely then maybe by next weekend UK could get a commit from BD. Or, he could turn it down for the 3rd or 4th time. Whatever it is.

If they win the play-in but he really wants the job, I suppose he could submit his resignation with the Bulls effective immediately after the playoffs are over. Who knows just rambling here.

Disappointing we didn't land Drew or Hurley.

I don't think we need to be worried at all about what's available in the portal. It really doesn't compare in importance to getting a coach. Most fans would expect a rebuild is necessary when a coach has left. That would be one of the reasons why the contract is for five years or more. It takes time to implement a new system.

Well yes but the transfer portal would of gave us a chance to compete next year... at least make the tournament.

Now we are wondering if we can field a team of D1 players.

They would have to have a 120% assurance he would take it if we wait. If we waited and then backed out. OMG!!!!
IMO and shared by others who saw that interview, Donovan was pretty complimentary about UK and definitely did not shut out the possibility of returning to the college ranks as coach of UK. It's also encouraging that he didn't negatively talk about what it takes to recruit or work the portal.

First year is going to be reconstruction year regardless who is the coach. I would rather wait and get Billy.
Billy can do a lot with 3 and 4 stars who can run and shoot. Press and shoot. Good times.
He's going to need to hire someone to help him navigate the portal, with recruiting contacts. If he's planning to take the job after his season runs out, just hire them now, and start working on building a team.

Billy can do a lot with 3 and 4 stars who can run and shoot. Press and shoot. Good times.
He's going to need to hire someone to help him navigate the portal, with recruiting contacts. If he's planning to take the job after his season runs out, just hire them now, and start working on building a team.

Unfortunately, this isn't how it works.

MOST of the available recruits and high-end portal players will be GONE by the end of next week.

No viable recruit/portal star is going to commit to Kentucky without knowing, officially, who the HC is.

I fail to see why he HAS to be done with the NBA before season before we can start anything. For instance he COULD take this job no matter what (Chicago isn;t going anywhere in these playoffs, nor are they poised for any sort of success anytime soon).. and then the Athletic Department can at least start reaching out to the recruits and current players, see who is interested in staying...

We don't HAVE to wait until Donovan steps foot on campus to get started here.

But, if we go this route.. we might just have to have a more "throw-away" season next year.

Reactions: logiUK and Fox2monk
Keep seeing people saying first year is a rebuild.

Bull fricken crap. We had a top ten team this year. Our last hire took us from a joke to number one before he even played a game.

He didn’t have the transfer portal to raid.

If you say next year is a rebuild, you’re just trying to justify that you ran cal out when we clearly didn’t have a reliable backup plan.

Reactions: sefus12
I can tell you this.. no one in the Chicago organization is losing sleep if Billy D steps down early, therefore hurting their chances in a playin game. The fans are checked out, the organization was already considering replacements, the players don't care.

It wouldn't be a huge deal if he take the UK job now and has the interim coach handle the play-in game.

There are lots of examples of coaches accepting a new position before season is over. Happens every year in college football, with some interim coach coaching the bowl game.
This Bulls team will finish 9th or 10th in the East with a losing record. They are NOT a playoff contender.

Reactions: IIIBradIII
There is no rebuilding at Kentucky. I expect top tier recruits and portal adds. This is a school, supposedly, offering MORE MONEY than every college football program.

And we are willing to "settle" on a rebuild season in 2024-25?

Make it make sense...

Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
IMO and shared by others who saw that interview, Donovan was pretty complimentary about UK and definitely did not shut out the possibility of returning to the college ranks as coach of UK. It's also encouraging that he didn't negatively talk about what it takes to recruit or work the portal.
He has some fond memories of Lexington. Some of his kids were born here.

John pelphrey

Reactions: ftp000

At this point idc about next season. We need to get Billy D. He’s the best available option, who cares if we aren’t good for one season? Give this man a chance to build his team, he’s a 2x national champ for a reason

There is no rebuilding at Kentucky. I expect top tier recruits and portal adds. This is a school, supposedly, offering MORE MONEY than every college football program.

And we are willing to "settle" on a rebuild season in 2024-25?

Make it make sense...
You do it for the future of the program. And I'm talking the near future. Plus, the energy next year would be off the charts no matter what happens.

At this point idc about next season. We need to get Billy D. He’s the best available option, who cares if we aren’t good for one season? Give this man a chance to build his team, he’s a 2x national champ for a reason

Better hope the game against Arkansas isn't at Rupp, when a team of DJ Wagner, Billy Richmond, Boogie Fland, Adou Thiero, Karter Knox, Jayden Quaintance and Big Z comes in a smacks around UK.

Keep seeing people saying first year is a rebuild.

Bull fricken crap. We had a top ten team this year. Our last hire took us from a joke to number one before he even played a game.

He didn’t have the transfer portal to raid.

If you say next year is a rebuild, you’re just trying to justify that you ran cal out when we clearly didn’t have a reliable backup plan.

There’s a huge difference here. The last hire brought Wall, Boogie and Bledsoe, all of whom he had recruited and were coming with him. What stud players has BD recruited that will join him to make a great roster from day one?

I know he wouldn’t step down prior to being out, but I don’t know why he can’t give UK the unofficial yes. I don’t even know why he can’t give them an official yes but stay there and coach. Happens in football

Reactions: JHannibalSmith

Also that date is only the hard date to ENTER the portal. You can pick a school whenever I thought, as long as it's before classes start.

Reactions: KYExtemper
I think if you want Donovan then you need to get serious about negotiations now. You can't just let this thing drag and THEN meet with him, hoping he will say yes.
I have to think that this is happening. Mitch wouldn’t just sit and wait for the Bulls’ season to end before bringing this up to Billy/his agents.

Reactions: Ugoff
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT