ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

2003%20gcr%20engine%204960%20front.JPG

Last edited:
My unit was directly involved in the fratricide incident you describe as well as another at PL Bullet during Desert Storm. I refuse to discuss specifics or names. Let me just say some participants remain pissed off to this day. Sickens me to even mention it.

Here's GAO report: https://www.gao.gov/assets/osi-93-4.pdf
Austin — The CG of the 1st ID, Major Gen. Thomas Rhame, tried his best to cover up those Friendly Fire deaths. But I’d been out there as the chief pool correspondent for over a month by then and had sources who leaked to me that Lt. Col. Ralph Hayles had killed those guys. I had interviewed Hayles a couple times by then, ironically on the subject of avoiding Friendly Fire, so it surprised me.

I went to Rhame’s PAO and told him I was filing a pool report for all media whether Rhame commented or not, but if he didn’t it would be clear he was covering up. It was a bit of a bluff —but it worked. Rhame gave me a statement and I filed the report. Rhame then relieved Hayles of command and sent him home —the only American officer ever relieved of command in a combat zone for a FF incident.

About an hour after I sent it back to Dhahran via satellite fax, I heard it on CNN and the BBC. It became a huge story.

In that case, the role of having correspondents with front line units worked. No way should the deaths of those young guys been covered up by the Army. I felt bad for Hayles but a lot worse for the families of the KIAs.

Last edited:
Good Sunday morning everyone.

Great day yesterday....got a good night sleep, got things accomplished around the house, ate great, sat by a fire here last night, and UK signed another player.

Pic is from last night....remember I live just over the hill from that wide spot in the gravel road. I'll try to edit this post in a bit.

438238652_996407915184112_1469161021272437687_n.jpg

Edit:
We saw Mama and her 3 cubs Friday here at the house (on the front porch again). First time we've seen all 3 cubs this year. The cubs are almost as big as she is now. She has done good raising them. Here's a long distance shot of 3 of them just a couple hundred yards "above" and behind the house.

438224843_996407878517449_594148535306510411_n.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning folks. Sitting out some boisterous thunderstorms in Texas this morning, hoping it blows over so we can go on a hike at a park called Enchanted Rock, then maybe a second stop at a place along the Pedernales River my son has scouted. In between, or after, a quick tour of Luckenbach for lunch. Back to Maryland tomorrow.

Hope you all have a good Sunday.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 74°F and raining heavily. May catch a break this afternoon. We sure need this rain.

Wildcat baseball def USCjr 15-13 last night in Columbia. Today's game at 3 pm. Go Cats! Softball also def USC in Lexington, 3-1. Today's softball game at 1 pm ET.

May head to Aldi around 1 if rain lets up.

@MdWIldcat55 : Have fun at Luckenbach. Really small (one building), but historical.

Wishing y'all an enjoyable Sunday.

National-Blueberry-Pie-Day-1024x560.png

Have you ever watched a professional drywaller at work? I did for an hour or so yesterday while he replaced a section of a damaged wall. I was amazed. He is a true artist. His methodical steps of fitting pieces and efficiency were stunning. He did in two hours well what I would have done badly in 1-2 days. His tools were always always just in reach. I shake my head.

Man,

Had a good day yesterday. My son had a couple of his buddies over that used to live at my house back in E'town. (I think I claimed them on my taxes one year.;))

I drank 6 Yuenglings and they didn't phase me. I was able to sit back and enjoy watching my grandbabies and children enjoy themselves....

Papa had a fine time. Today more of the same except the yuenglings were gone. No biggie...

Took it easy today, just took them all out to eat at about 1. My two daughters and two grand babies left. (They were visiting other places and friends.)

My Darling and I just came back from Popeyes. They all got hungry after today's all you can eat meal at one of those cook it yourself joints...

Papa's wallet a lot lighter but DARN, I feel good.

I am thankful.

My Darling and I will head out early tomorrow if the Lord doesn't take me home.....

You all have a peaceful evening and God Bless you...

Good morning folks. Packing up for our return to DC. It’ll be a long and probably aggravating day, but it was worth it to spend some time with our son.

We spent yesterday at a park called Enchanted Rock, Hiked to the top of what can only be described as a gigantic rounded dome from which you can see miles of Texas hill country in all directions. Also walked probably 7-8 miles along trails in the park. Then we went to the town of Llano where they have a famous (just ask them) open pit barbeque joint called Coopers. I haven’t eaten that much brisket and sausage since I was in my 20s probably. It truly was remarkably good. You sat at long communal benches. The folks next to us, being Texans instead of uptight easterners, asked us where we were from and why we were in Llano. When we told the guy next to us we were from Maryland, he told us his son is an Annapolis Naval Academy grad now a Navy pilot. So we sat in a BBQ joint talking best Maryland crabcakes with a retired Texas sheriff.

Packing up. You all have a good day.

Good morning folks. Packing up for our return to DC. It’ll be a long and probably aggravating day, but it was worth it to spend some time with our son.

We spent yesterday at a park called Enchanted Rock, Hiked to the top of what can only be described as a gigantic rounded dome from which you can see miles of Texas hill country in all directions. Also walked probably 7-8 miles along trails in the park. Then we went to the town of Llano where they have a famous (just ask them) open pit barbeque joint called Coopers. I haven’t eaten that much brisket and sausage since I was in my 20s probably. It truly was remarkably good. You sat at long communal benches. The folks next to us, being Texans instead of uptight easterners, asked us where we were from and why we were in Llano. When we told the guy next to us we were from Maryland, he told us his son is an Annapolis Naval Academy grad now a Navy pilot. So we sat in a BBQ joint talking best Maryland crabcakes with a retired Texas sheriff.

Packing up. You all have a good day.
There ain't never been a crabcake as good as BBQ Brisket.

P.S. I am a BBQ expert from South Central Kentucky who spent a small fortune of the railroad's money going around the country to sample BBQ. I am an expert! o_O

Well, I started my Old Bird racing season last Saturday........it was a rough day and we experienced 50% losses......I didn't completely crap the bed.....I got 8th, 9th & 10th. I'll take three birds in the top 10 but........I WANT TO WIN! It isn't the birds fault........I didn't have them where they need to be....hope springs eternal......

Good morning everyone

Busy day. I'm just figuring out we signed Carr from Wake Forest. Up before daylight, a 7 mile hike on Pine Mtn where the area has burned. Trail markers were hard to find where all the briars and brush had grown back. Part of the reason hiking this portion was to report my finding to the trail maintenance crew (I'm one of the 4 dependable members). We have our work cut out for us. I'm starting to train/build up to a couple of long hikes on the mountain 15-18 miles the last part of June.

Weedeated when I got home and heading back to the lake tomorrow. This is the Go, Go, Go time of my retirement.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Last edited:
My last uncle passed away today at the ripe old age of 88. Still have one aunt left (his wife). Doesn't count though. She's mean and halfway insane. No different than she was back in the 60s.
It's a sign that we've lived a long life. And it's good that they - ancestors and their siblings - didn't have to see you pass away. This happened for me in 2011. I miss them and have questions now that I didn't think to ask when I could.

I try to tell me grandkids details of my life and and parents lives so they have some background, but they're mainly too busy living. I don't fault them. We like to all do it.

Good morning everyone

Busy day. I'm just figuring out we signed Carr from Wake Forest. Up before daylight, a 7 mile hike on Pine Mtn where the area has burned. Trail markers were hard to find where all the briars and brush had grown back. Part of the reason hiking this portion was to report my finding to the trail maintenance crew (I'm one of the 4 dependable members). We have our work cut out for us. I'm starting to train/build up to a couple of long hikes on the mountain 15-18 miles the last part of June.

Weedeated when I got home and heading back to the lake tomorrow. This is the Go, Go, Go time of my retirement.

I hope everyone has a great day.
I have always maintained one has to remain active after retirement. I worked long enough at the former uranium enrichment plant west of Paducah to draw a small pension. It was a huge place. Had 2 MD's on duty on the day shift and it's own fire department. Several thousand employees. At one time, they said the average retiree only lived 18 months after retiring. That is I was somewhat skewed by a cancer risk. I had an uncle and two friends die from a work related cancer.

I have always maintained one has to remain active after retirement. I worked long enough at the former uranium enrichment plant west of Paducah to draw a small pension. It was a huge place. Had 2 MD's on duty on the day shift and it's own fire department. Several thousand employees. At one time, they said the average retiree only lived 18 months after retiring. That is I was somewhat skewed by a cancer risk. I had an uncle and two friends die from a work related cancer.
So do you glow in the dark?

So do you glow in the dark?
I hope not. Certain areas of the plant were worse than others. The feed plants were the worst. I mostly worked at the water plant or the steam plant (coal fired boliers). At one point we pulled as much as 22 million gallons of water a day out of the Ohio River. At peak we used more electricity than the entire city of St Louis.
Actually worse for me was The agent orange deal in Viet Nam. I never knew till recently that I spent a lot of time in the heaviest sprayed areas.

''fun'' fact for my civil war buffs in here:

Kentucky losses during the war (killed):

CSA-19,000
USA-2,300
Yep, the Orphan Brigades from Kentucky were hit really hard. I had some relatives in there. My great grandpa, Seth Bradshaw Elmore, was in the 6th Kentucky.
29c92d16-3656-4299-accf-39d4ce505371

On the Lee side one brother fought for the Kentucky CSA and his brother for a US Illinois brigrade. They both survived.

Hello all,

Still on the road home. Just passed the turn-off to Fort Bragg about 50 miles back...Fort Liberty, yeah right. I served at Fort Bragg...

My Darling and I are taking it easy heading back home. No rush...

Have a pleasant evening.....
Since you served at Ft. Bragg.........were you aware of the Circus Club..... 😉............I had my first club experience there..........when I was 14 yrs old.........I almost went blind watching those dancers in those cages dancing to Suzie Q by Creedence Clearwater Reival (sp) When we exited the club the temps were 102 or something like that........I had drank every beer that they had sat in front of me.........I wilted like a cut flower before we got to the car.......

Since you served at Ft. Bragg.........were you aware of the Circus Club..... 😉............I had my first club experience there..........when I was 14 yrs old.........I almost went blind watching those dancers in those cages dancing to Suzie Q by Creedence Clearwater Reival (sp) When we exited the club the temps were 102 or something like that........I had drank every beer that they had sat in front of me.........I wilted like a cut flower before we got to the car.......

Naw Sir,

I missed that one, I think... back then though I visited several. An eyeful was there to be had, that's for sure. I was I think 19 when I arrived there and did my best to represent. ;)

I spent 18 months in Turkey (near Izmir). It is a highly muslim country. They had these pavions (night clubs) down on the waterfront where ladies of the evening hustled drinks for the clubs. This one dude was married (with his wife back in the states). He was such a regular that this one club let him run a tab. When it came time for him to go home, he owed them more money than he had, so he spent one last night at the club, buying drinks galore to run his tab even higher. The next day, he caught a plane home. The club owner called the base commander wanting him to pay like 2500 hundred dollars the guy owed.

I spent 18 months in Turkey (near Izmir). It is a highly muslim country. They had these pavions (night clubs) down on the waterfront where ladies of the evening hustled drinks for the clubs. This one dude was married (with his wife back in the states). He was such a regular that this one club let him run a tab. When it came time for him to go home, he owed them more money than he had, so he spent one last night at the club, buying drinks galore to run his tab even higher. The next day, he caught a plane home. The club owner called the base commander wanting him to pay like 2500 hundred dollars the guy owed.

I had my Platoon SSG at Bragg borrow $325.00 from me. I had no issues but it was about a year later my enlistment was up and I was ETSing.

That was a lot of dough back then. He had two young girls and his wife but I barely had gas money.

It was after I got out I contacted my 1ST SGT. I received a money order a few days later.

Back then, $2500 Wow....

I could buy a can of beer out of a machine back during my time for I think 45 cents. A pack of cigarettes was 55 or 65 cents.

Last edited:
I had my Platoon SSG at Bragg borrow $325.00 from my. I had no issues but it was about a year later my enlistment was up and I was ETSing.

That was a lot of dough back then. He had two young girls and his wife but I barely had gas money.

It was after I got out I contacted my 1ST SGT. I received a money order a few days later.

Back then, $2500 Wow....

I could buy a can of beer out of a machine back during my time for I think 45 cents. A pack of cigarettes was 55 or 65 cents.
Drinks for the "ladies" were VERY expensive and were normally just tea instead of liquor. He liked the ladies a lot and I don't know how long he had been running a tab or his payment schedule. Of course he never told them he was shipping out.

Drinks for the "ladies" were VERY expensive and were normally just tea instead of liquor. He liked the ladies a lot and I don't know how long he had been running a tab or his payment schedule. Of course he never told them he was shipping out.

Yes Sir,

Yeah they tried that at Bragg... I always told them, let's got out and I'll buy you a steak and a beer... Eh... worked better with other soldiers of the female persuasion in that era...

Hey D-League.

Checking in during a brief break in the action as I catch up with work that accumulated during my trip to Texas.

Looks like during the past week the Pope staff is gathering some big, experienced players. Not sure there is a star in the mix yet, but it should be a team that can compete in the SEC.

Hope the day unfolds without any hassles for everyone.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Afternoon legionnaires!

Went fishing this morning and report follows:

2 strikes, 2 hooked, 1 landed. Not a lot of action but better than being blanked. So, score Large Mouths 1 - Warrior-Cat 1. Push

Men's league ball games tonight (weather permitted, thunderstorms forecasted). Last two weeks of co-ed canceled due to weather.

Be cool all.

Yep, the Orphan Brigades from Kentucky were hit really hard. I had some relatives in there. My great grandpa, Seth Bradshaw Elmore, was in the 6th Kentucky.
29c92d16-3656-4299-accf-39d4ce505371

On the Lee side one brother fought for the Kentucky CSA and his brother for a US Illinois brigrade. They both survived.
I had a grandfather, 3 cousins, and 2 uncles in the 6th. It’s nucleus was formed right here in barren county. Genera Joseph Johnston refused Breckenridge’s request to take the brigade with him to Virginia. Because he said there were no finer soldiers in the confederate army. They were used as shock troops. Them and Cockrell’s Missouri “iron brigade”. Were the best brigades in the army of Tennessee.

I'm currently trying to buy a meerschaum pipe from a carver in Turkey. It's been a hassle. The only way I can complete the transaction is via Western Union. It's a gamble I know. WU should never be used for purchases.

@Bert Higginbotha here's my grandfather who was in the 6th. Corporal Thomas Spillman. He was wounded almost mortally at Baton Rouge, LA. He came back to the fight after recovering and survived the war. When he surrendered to Sherman in 1865. He rode his horse back to Nashville (The 6th was converted to Cavalry to chase Sherman's army). And he was stopped there, and had his horse ''confinscated''. He walked back home to Barren County. When he died in 1923 his wife recieved a check from the federal government for that horse. My great uncle has a picture of him in confederate uniform. He was from the rocky hill area of Barren County. There was a confederate company located there called the Rocky hill guards.

Last edited:
As I understand, Union didn't much recruit in KY to avoid further splitting the people & risking secession.
The union drafted soldiers in Kentucky. But they rarely if ever got their quota. They asked for 16,000 and got 2000. They asked for 12,000 and got 4,000. Kentucky stayed in the Union (though the Confedetate invasion didn't help) due to slavery. The thought among unionists was slavery is best protected by maintaining the status quo (staying in the union). Joining a risky confederacy meant certain death to slavery if it lost the war. This is why Kentucky had slavery until almost 1866. They tried to prolong slavery for as long as possible. In 1864, union support in the state rapildy diminished. The union treated the state as conquered land. Due to the state being southern and a large number of the young men of the state enlisting in the confederate army. Martial law was established in 1864, confederate supporters were shot in the streets if a Union soldier was killed in the state. This angered the common man. Many Kentuckian's slaves simply ran away and joined the union army. This angered the slave holding class.

A lot of Kentuckians, something like 70 percent of the fighting men, simply sat the war out. Deciding to fight against their fellow southerners or their country was too much for many. And really, the state never made an official choice. Both CSA and USA governments existed with citizens loyal to one or the other. One could make arguments that neither the Union or Confederate governments were represenative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT