ADVERTISEMENT

CPAP users?

I actually haven't been using anything. My wife hates the snoring and usually ends up in the spare bedroom so I know she will be glad for me to get it.

Dangerous too. Danged if you do, danged if you don't.

If I try to use it again it seems after a couple of nights that I start to develop a hacking cough. Maybe it's a placebo effect but I really don't think so.
Never had that happen, google popped this on the screen (also lawyers saying contact us, FWIW):
“Yes, using a defective Philips CPAP, BiPAP, or ASV sleep apnea machine or ventilator can severely damage your lungs, particularly if you have been using it for a long time.”
Then again, another comment said sleep apnea can cause it????

Reactions: BBUK
If I try to use it again it seems after a couple of nights that I start to develop a hacking cough. Maybe it's a placebo effect but I really don't think so.

Dang, I'd give you mine if I could. (Life without using a CPAP machine if you need it can come up short quickly.) I was still using my old machine but changed when I got the new one. (I wasn't having any issues with the old one but it was worrisome to me.) I am waiting for my replacement machine too.

Last edited:
Got an email like everybody else (mine was about 4-6 weeks ago) saying it could take up to a year to get the replacement.

My new machine showed up on my doorstep by FedEx yesterday.

Reactions: BBUK and Tannerdad
Got an email like everybody else (mine was about 4-6 weeks ago) saying it could take up to a year to get the replacement.

My new machine showed up on my doorstep by FedEx yesterday.
Good to hear, Rock. I talked with my local provider yesterday about a recent new mask and filter order. She said “Who knows when Phillips will deliver replacement machines, if ever?” You’ve given us hope!

Reactions: BBUK and Rockford
Good to hear, Rock. I talked with my local provider yesterday about a recent new mask and filter order. She said “Who knows when Phillips will deliver replacement machines, if ever?” You’ve given us hope!

I have extra F30 masks and even have a Mirage Liberty mask. (All unopened) Also now have some Dreamstation 2 filters if anyone has a dire need.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockford
I have extra F30 masks and even have a Mirage Liberty mask. (All unopened) Also now have some Dreamstation 2 filters if anyone has a dire need.
Got a new mask, hose and white filter, will get a black filter soon, so I’m good, but thanks!

Me still waiting on my replacement machine....

giphy.gif

Still waiting........ 😒

Same.

Got an email from them today saying it will likely take through the end of 2022 for them to repair/replace all units.

Even though I registered my machine eons ago shortly after the recall, the patient portal said my order was processed on March 9th, 2022.

Received this email yesterday: (I just removed my registration number...)
Philips logo

We’re getting in touch to share some important updates on the remediation program, including our progress to date, and a reminder of our approach to allocating replacement devices.
Our progress
At the end of February 2022, we reached an important global milestone: 1 million devices are now on their way to patients. While there is still much to do, our teams are continuing to work hard to ensure that affected patients receive their new devices as quickly as possible. We expect to complete our remediation program for the majority of registered devices by the end of 2022.
Our approach to allocating replacement devices
We review all information provided by patients to ensure that those in greatest need will receive their device first. We are prioritizing replacement devices based on patient risk factors, including: age, other chronic conditions, severity of obstructive sleep apnea, and occupation associated with public safety. You can learn more about our approach here.
If you need to update your registration information, you can do so through the Patient Portal. Please be ready to enter your registration confirmation number or serial number. You will also need to confirm your identity using your last name, zip code, and the last 4 digits of your phone number you used to register your affected device.
As a reminder, you can find out more about the remediation process, from registration through to why it is important to return your affected device, with our step-by-step guide.
We will continue to provide regular updates to you through this process. In the meantime, your device registration confirmation number is.
Thank you for your continued patience and trust.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
I just got an email at 1:44am this morning.......4/20.

They said, they just shipped 1 million and they are going by risk factors.

We’re getting in touch to share some important updates on the remediation program, including our progress to date, and a reminder of our approach to allocating replacement devices.

Our progress

At the end of February 2022, we reached an important global milestone: 1 million devices are now on their way to patients. While there is still much to do, our teams are continuing to work hard to ensure that affected patients receive their new devices as quickly as possible. We expect to complete our remediation program for the majority of registered devices by the end of 2022.

Our approach to allocating replacement devices

We review all information provided by patients to ensure that those in greatest need will receive their device first. We are prioritizing replacement devices based on patient risk factors, including: age, other chronic conditions, severity of obstructive sleep apnea, and occupation associated with public safety. You can learn more about our approach here.

If you need to update your registration information, you can do so through the Patient Portal. Please be ready to enter your registration confirmation number or serial number. You will also need to confirm your identity using your last name, zip code, and the last 4 digits of your phone number you used to register your affected device.

As a reminder, you can find out more about the remediation process, from registration through to why it is important to return your affected device, with our step-by-step guide.

We will continue to provide regular updates to you through this process. In the meantime, your device registration confirmation number is 2021063001474931.

Thank you for your continued patience and trust.

Same.

Got an email from them today saying it will likely take through the end of 2022 for them to repair/replace all units.

Even though I registered my machine eons ago shortly after the recall, the patient portal said my order was processed on March 9th, 2022.

I got the same email a little over 3 weeks ago, and then my replacement machine was delivered 2 days later completely out of the blue. My patient portal also had the wrong date that my order was processed.

If it's any consolation, the DreamStation 2 seems to be much nicer than the first one. It is very quiet and much smaller. I also like the water reservoir on it much better.

Hope you guys get yours soon.

Funny thing was my boss didn't even know about the recall until I told him. He went online and registered a month or so after I did. He's had his new unit for probably 6-8 months. 🤷‍♂️

I went online and answered the risk questions to see if the process could get sped up and apparently the only risk I have is to my wife getting any sleep from me snoring. 🤣

This is for my second machine. I have had the other new machine for a while now. I traveled a lot previously and had a second machine just for traveling. I paid for it though and want the replacement.

I got started with CPAP about a month ago. So far its been good. I've been able to average wearing it for 7.5 hrs/nt. Events went from 25 or so down to 2.8/hr. I feel a lot better and have been losing weight. I use a nose mask. I tried the nose pillow thing. I liked it, but as soon as my head hits the pillow, it gets knocked off.

My doc told me that he's been using one for 25+ years. Said he was 145 lbs and ran 7-8 miles/day when he started it. He said that it's a myth that it is only for old fat people.

Reactions: lz and BBUK
I got started with CPAP about a month ago. So far its been good. I've been able to average wearing it for 7.5 hrs/nt. Events went from 25 or so down to 2.8/hr. I feel a lot better and have been losing weight. I use a nose mask. I tried the nose pillow thing. I liked it, but as soon as my head hits the pillow, it gets knocked off.

My doc told me that he's been using one for 25+ years. Said he was 145 lbs and ran 7-8 miles/day when he started it. He said that it's a myth that it is only for old fat people.
Never lost a pound using it, but sure sleep better and made my wife happier. Now, wish she would get one….groan.

• Haha
Reactions: Rockford and BBUK

It is a myth, I went to work when I was working in DC and road a train with an Army Col. I saw his CPAP lines one ride and I asked him about it. He stated he has had the issues since he was in his twenties. The man was like a picture poster of a soldier. A mean lean fighting machine. He stated it was a myth as well and that he had always been near under-weight. (He is in his 50's and was retiring in a month at that time. I met him again later and he is a Senior Executive Service Officer in the government.

Reactions: UKGrad93
Got my replacement 2 weeks ago. Total surprise. Smaller, quieter. Works great

Just ensure they send you enough filters. I had an issue as the filters go bad more quickly. They are actually better filters but clog up. (I use a brush and flick the dust out of them regularly.)

Reactions: Tannerdad
Been on mine for nearly 18 months, and sleep well 90% of the time even if it is in the 5-7 hour range. Those nights when I don't have it on for whatever reason, I toss/turn all damn night. #believer

Mine usually allows me to sleep as long as I want to but lately I have been tossing and turning. I will have to adjust the setting slightly. (The pressure, humidity seems fine.)

I was told that if you had hand washed it with soap and water there should be no issues. Only those that used an artificial cleaning machine were affected.

Reactions: BBUK
I was told that if you had hand washed it with soap and water there should be no issues. Only those that used an artificial cleaning machine were affected.
Now you tell me! Well, hell, I’m old, still perking.

Anyone else use a CPAP? I just got mine about a month ago. Took a couple of weeks to get used to having something on my face while I sleep, but now that I have and can wear it all night, I feel like a new man. Even when I only get 7 hrs, I feel like a champ all day.

Crazy that once you start CPAP therapy you realize how horribly you used to sleep. I think my sleep test said that I stopped breathing for 10+ seconds like 65 times per hour. No wonder I felt like crap and was an ahole all day.
You sounded as bad as I was. Been on mine for twenty years. The VA just gave me a new one and it measures everything and sends results to them. It is a big adjustment, but if folks just hang Tuff it's certainly worth it.

Reactions: BBUK and lz
You sounded as bad as I was. Been on mine for twenty years. The VA just gave me a new one and it measures everything and sends results to them. It is a big adjustment, but if folks just hang Tuff it's certainly worth it.

Yeah a few months ago I had to adjust one of the va techs. Just started changing my setings from afar. We had a serious conversation. Like you, I've been using one for decades. No need for th e m to adjust my settings.

Yep, had I not already had one machine replaced, I'd join them. I received an email stating my other one should be replaced before the end of the year. Kind of irks me that when "they" (Any larger business) want to be paid, the world stops until they are. When the roll is reversed, not so much.... Ye ole profit margins until certain points in time...

Yep, had I not already had one machine replaced, I'd join them. I received an email stating my other one should be replaced before the end of the year. Kind of irks me that when "they" (Any larger business) want to be paid, the world stops until they are. When the roll is reversed, not so much.... Ye ole profit margins until certain points in time...
I am one of the ones still waiting.

I am one of the ones still waiting.
Yup I mean that’s terrible I just can’t imagine waiting that long - have you talked to your insurance?
I think every 5 years you are eligible to get insurance to chip in on a new one? Surely there’s something out there to facilitate this - resmed machines are good too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT