ADVERTISEMENT

Could WCS return for his senior year?

UK4EVR

Junior
Sep 24, 2002
I see he is #10 on the mock draft but he LOVES being at Kentucky. I think it all comes down to what happens over the next three or four weeks but I wouldn't put it past him to come back for one more year.

0% chance he comes back.

You can give me all the talk about his love for school and the usual " he's a different type of dude" but his stock is at the highest it ever will be and Cal won't let him return even if he wanted to.

He could but it would have to be with the intent of becoming a top 5 pick next year. I'm not sure that we'll happen seeing as how he's almost 22 (NBA loves young kids) and the hype he's received this year might be the highest it'll ever be.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I feel like him and Poythress are really good friends and he may want to come back to play with Poythress one more season.

If he did come back and work on his inside game a little more, he could definitely be top 3 next year. Maybe he really isn't worried about going pro. There were/are players who love it in college and stay until they graduate.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

If he returns,the NCAA will put sanctions on Kentucky for unsportsmanlike conduct. Claiming its not fair while jumping up and down like a spoiled brat.

Originally posted by 5iveStarRecruit:
0% chance he comes back.

You can give me all the talk about his love for school and the usual " he's a different type of dude" but his stock is at the highest it ever will be and Cal won't let him return even if he wanted to.
Are you certain you know what "0" means?

If any kid would do it, it's WCS.

I think he will go, but I wouldn't bet on it - we all know he marches to the beat of this own drum.

Originally posted by Smashcat:
Even if he wants to Cal won't let him.
I have never understood the "Cal won't let him" thing. So. Cal gonna put a .45 to his head? If WCS wants to return, he will. The "Cal won't let him" stuff is nonsense.

0% chance he comes back.

If he did come back, would you promise to stop writing in a definitive tone when you're merely speculating?

Originally posted by Son_Of_Saul:
0% chance he comes back.

If he did come back, would you promise to stop writing in a definitive tone when you're merely speculating?
I'd never post here again if that happened.

dead srs.

Well I guess Cal could take him off scholarship to force him to go pro but Willie will go. He can't pass this opportunity up. If the Cats win number 9 and he plays well he could go top 5 this year.

Right now he's essentialy Javele McGee. His offensive game could use a little more work but it should be while getting paid.
I try n see him guarding deandre jordan, cousins, and Aldridge and he will have a tough time. He's a freak at this level but those are big boy forwards there.

Willie marches to a different drummer, however he should march right on up there and get the money. As much as I would love to have him another year, its time. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

0% chance he comes back.

dead srs.
Now that's a bit extreme. I for one would like to keep you around. You're a decent poster who usually maintains a level of respect for all of those you converse with.

0% chance he comes back.

dead srs.
Now that's a bit extreme. I for one would like to keep you around. You're a decent poster who usually maintains a level of respect for all of those you converse with.

willie-ulis.gif

If Willie didn't have four screws in his ankle....maybe ....maybe he comes back.

But as it stands..no.

If he returned, it would be both good and bad. Bad you ask. Bad, because it would mean we didn't win the championship this year, and he really wanted to win one while at UK and that was a part (in addition to loving the college carefree life) of the reason.

No coach is going to force a kid to leave. Cal knows marketing/business like no other.. and he knows that showing his kids going to the NBA is a great image and tool. But he also know just how awesome WCS could be in his senior year. Willie could literally be worth +3to5 wins and a practically gauranteed deep tourney run with what we have back. He also provides depth in the front court. If WCS really wants to come back, he will.

I disagree completely with anyone implying Cal wouldn't let someone return for their senior season. It's a bit ridiculous to me that some of our fans have bought into the false narrative that Cal pushes kids "out the door". He doesn't do that. The process he uses has been relayed over and over. In no way is "not allowed back" an option. That's old hater talking points from 2009.

At this point if Willie wanted to stay and play his senior season, he could. I don't think it would be his best option, and so I do believe he's gone. But cal setting limits where he's not allowed to return is kind of nonsense.

What kind of coach would tell a junior he can't stay and play his last year IF he wanted? Regardless of money.

This post was edited on 3/10 10:24 PM by .S&C.

Originally posted by catlogic15:
If Willie didn't have four screws in his ankle....maybe ....maybe he comes back.

But as it stands..no.
This is one of the main reasons I see him leaving.

He's extremely close to a degree.
He is a top 7 pick.
He has been injured before, and I would hate to see that again.

I think Cal advises he should go, but he won't push him. Willie and his family will make their own decision. And that's a fact.

Calipari tells kids if he thinks their best option is to go Pro. He does not force any kid to go pro. If Willie wants to return he will be greeted with open arms.

I think with the fact that not only has he been injured but he watched Noel and now Poythress go through possibly career altering injuries, my money is on he won't risk it and I'll cheer him on if he declares.

WCS strikes me as a free spirit who marches to the beat of his own drummer. The "money side" obviously says that he goes to the NBA in the 2015 draft, but ... I wouldn't be surprised out of my mind if WCS and Alex said - regardless of the outcome of this year's NCAA Tournament - "why don't we do this one more time together next year."

Just MHO, of course.

I think it makes the most financial sense to leave. And we've seen time and time again that guys usually go pro when it makes the most financial sense.

It made sense for Teague to come back, and he didn't. It made sense for Goodwin to come back, and he didn't. Going is what people do.

With WCS as a potential top 10 pick, you've got to think he's going.

To say Cal won't let him come back though...He'll be a year form his degree. I think Willie is a kid at heart more than most that play here. And it won't shock me if he wants to play 1 more year in college.

Alex Poythress' impending decision to play for a fourth year may influence whether Willie comes back or not.

While I don't think Cal would literally tear up his scholarship, Willie would need some convincing reasons for Calipari to get on board with him returning. Cal spoke of a meeting with Patrick Patterson in his Players First book. They discussed his future with the program, and the onus was on the player to convince Cal why he should return. P-Pat basicslly said he wanted to return because he had never played in the NCAAT up to that point, he was close to earning a degree, and there were aspects of his game he needed to work on to improve his draft stock/readiness for the Big Show.

I think it would help Willie's case to return if he could articulate his reasons in such a way, moreso than simply citing he enjoys college life and rooming with his best friend.

In the very thin, thin, thin possibility that Willie comes back I see myself thoroughly entertained by the media's instant shift to Calipari being a greedy coach that holds his players back instead of being concerned for their professional well being.

Of course we would all love to see Willie come back but he just about has to go. He can't pass up that kind of money to come back and risk injury.

WCS and Skal would be a nasty defensive combination in the extremely rare chance it happened next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT