ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical 2024/25 UK Roster (Discussion)

ib4ky

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2005
(JUST FOR DISCUSSION)
My sanity can't dwell any longer on last night's disappointment!!!
I believe UK finishes this year at 23-8 (12-6) to 21-10 (10-8) in the SEC.
So, either UK wins big this year or it fails and flames out and we look to next year. Maybe they can have an NCAA run and win eleven in a row to finish the year like UCONN in 2011. So, I guess I will hope for future success (AGAIN)

IMO
2024/25 Possible Roster:
* Thierro 6-8 JR
(If back holds up)
Burks 6-8 SO (I think he sticks around for one more opportunity)
Hart 6-5 SO (I think he sticks around for one more opportunity)
* Shepherd 6-3 SO
Cyril 6-10 FR
Perry 6-2 FR
* Richmond 6-6 FR
* Fland 6-3 FR
* Quaintance 6-10 FR

* 2024/25 STARTERS

To me the above roster as it stands is going to be a weaker group and the transfer portal is a vast unknown on February 1st!!!!
I think if UK can get either UGO or Z back at the 5 and to either get Knox or a reclass to add to depth or get Edwards to come back and improve his game as a 3/4, alot of IFS to have next years outlook improve, GO Big Blue..........

My $0.02
Any thoughts???????

TRUE UK basketball fans will ALWAYS expect and hope for the best!!!!

All fanatics of sports teams will ALWAYS look to the "next year" if their current group sucks ass!!!! 😪🤔🙄🤣

I currently don't care for CJC at all, for a number of reasons!!!!!
Whenever he doesn't have ELITE talent to play and his ineptness with in-game management, he and the team struggles. I'm personally fine if he leaves before Saturday!!! I will still watch, cheer and complain!!

The Calipari that says Kentucky is the "Gold Standard" has worn off and NO longer exists!! It might be that 10-year limit on coaching at UK, like CJC once said.

I believe the next UK coach CANNOT be a recycled retread, whose time has past, but a younger, successful up and coming coach that is going to work his ass off for the teams success and not specifically to improve generational poverty or the names on the UK players backs.

Reactions: pardaisy
I sincerely mean this.
You could give Cal the ‘92 dream team in their prime and he couldn’t win a NC at this point.

He is as washed as I’ve ever seen a coach. The young gun coaches of the SEC are taking him to the woodshed.

Last edited:
Everybody leaves after this year, talented but very green freshmen come in, Cal makes bizarre rotations, Cal costs us wins under the guise of preparing for March (he's preparing his guys for the draft which is priority #1), we lose 10+ games and maybe make the Sweet 16. This is where the program currently is. We're a farm team for the NBA and winning comes secondary. Get this clown out of here and bring a coach in who's hungry to win at a high level.

Get what you are trying to do but have to ask--if we don't know who the **** is going to play on a given night now....how the hell would anyone be able to project the roster and next year?

Seriously think the board should have 2 threads

1. Who will play tonight

2. In Game Thread--guess of how Cal will screw up the end of Half/Game situations.

That sums up Kentucky Basketball no matter who they sign/leaves/joins the staff.

(JUST FOR DISCUSSION)
My sanity can't dwell any longer on last night's disappointment!!!
I believe UK finishes this year at 23-8 (12-6) to 21-10 (10-8) in the SEC.
So, either UK wins big this year or it fails and flames out and we look to next year. Maybe they can have an NCAA run and win eleven in a row to finish the year like UCONN in 2011. So, I guess I will hope for future success (AGAIN)

IMO
2024/25 Possible Roster:
* Thierro 6-8 JR
(If back holds up)
Burks 6-8 SO (I think he sticks around for one more opportunity)
Hart 6-5 SO (I think he sticks around for one more opportunity)
* Shepherd 6-3 SO
Cyril 6-10 FR
Perry 6-2 FR
* Richmond 6-6 FR
* Fland 6-3 FR
* Quaintance 6-10 FR

* 2024/25 STARTERS

To me the above roster as it stands is going to be a weaker group and the transfer portal is a vast unknown on February 1st!!!!
I think if UK can get either UGO or Z back at the 5 and to either get Knox or a reclass to add to depth or get Edwards to come back and improve his game as a 3/4, alot of IFS to have next years outlook improve, GO Big Blue..........

My $0.02
Any thoughts???????
Where is the rest of this year's team? Oh that's right undrafted free agent 2 way contract

Where is the rest of this year's team? Oh that's right undrafted free agent 2 way contract
Yep!!!
And just think what it could look like if Shepherd goes to the draft, Burks and Hart transfer, and all of the potential G-League subs leave and Thierro hangs it up due to reoccurring back issues.....................

Five recruits, TBD players and walkons!!!

I think Onyenso will be returning also:
PG Fland
SG Sheppard
SF Thiero
PF Quaintance
C Onyenso

With Burks, Hart, Richmond, Cyril, and Perry off the bench.

If Knox commits, I bet he would take Thiero's spot, just know Calipari. However, you could fit him in anywhere - Fland out, Shep at PG - Thiero out, Knox at SF - Quaintance out, Thiero at PF - Onyenso out, Quaintance at C, Thiero at PF.

Likewise, if J. Johnson re-classifies and commits, I could see there being a PT battle like our current backcourt.

I bet a lot of people will be surprised. I bet he comes back unless he's top 8 or so.
The last "lottery" or the 14th pick will earn around 11.3 million dollars over 3 years. You think he is turning down that kind of money? If he does turn that kind of money down then yes I will be suprised.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

com·pre·hen·sion
the action or capability of understanding something​
fo·rum
a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged​
it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their views on medical research
a website or web page where users can post comments about a particular issue or topic and reply to other users' postings.​
dis·cus·sion
the action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas:​

😉😉😉😉

Cal supporters starting early deflecting to next season. We just hit February. lol!
This usually doesn’t happen until he chokes in March!
I'm sure Cal wishes he could just skip to the end of the season and go pet his dogs while watching Little House.

Reactions: ukjenning44
Unless Sheppard comes back, next year will be about the same as this year.

If Sheppard returns along with Thiero, we will be a contender.

Now if Onyenso returns as well, I would feel pretty good about it.

G Sheppard/Perry
G Fland/Hart
F Thiero/Richmond
F Quaintance/Burks
F Onyenso/Cyril

We probably won’t be as good offensively, but our defense should be better. Sheppard, Thiero, and Onyenso will be a good core defensively.

I would rather Thiero play the 4, but with that roster, he would have to play the 3, I think.

Would like to see us add a reclassed Jasper Johnson as well. He’s a player.

Knox is also a possible addition.

And for those of you who hate to talk about next season and think it’s silly and all that, I have just one question for you…

Why did you even open the thread?

The last "lottery" or the 14th pick will earn around 11.3 million dollars over 3 years. You think he is turning down that kind of money? If he does turn that kind of money down then yes I will be suprised.
I don’t know what he will do, but there are several factors to consider:

First of all, there’s NIL money. He won’t make 11 million, but he will make enough.

Cost of living in an NBA city is much higher than in Kentucky.

There’s also the fact that his family is well off. He is not a hardship case. He doesn’t need the NBA to get his family out of poverty.

And mom and dad are season ticket holders at Rupp and at every game. They won’t be able to do that when he plays in the NBA. And they are mature parents, in their late 40’s, they will likely advise him to enjoy his time in college and not be in any rush. His parents strike me as the “stay a kid while you can” types.

And playing time. He’s going to play as much as he wants on a pretty big stage at UK. In the NBA, he will be on the bench a lot. He’s probably not an NBA starter for a few years.

And also, after scouts pick apart his game and his measurables are factored in, he probably slips quite a bit.

This is not your normal situation. This is far from it.

Now he may leave, but I think there is a greater chance he stays, because of all these factors.

One year of waiting isn't probably going to hurt a guy like him.
And he can afford to wait. In fact, if he is close to a degree and can graduate in three years, I wouldn’t be surprised if he stayed to get his degree.

And remember, Sheppard did not come here because of Cal’s OAD model. He came to UK to play at UK.

Things change and it’s pretty much impossible to predict what a kid that age will do.

But if any of the Freshmen (besides Burks and Hart) stay, I suspect he will be the one.

I hope you guys are right and if he is a late first round or 2nd round pick then I think he would likely return but a lottery pick I just don't see it.

I hope you guys are right and if he is a late first round or 2nd round pick then I think he would likely return but a lottery pick I just don't see it.
Yeah, I can understand that. It’s hard to pass up that opportunity, no matter who you are.

But I think he slips a bit. Questions will arise about whether he can perform at the next level.

He is 6’2, 6’3 maybe. He is not super quick. He can jump, but his vertical isn’t outstanding. Probably below average for an NBA player.

He is thriving in college because he is smarter (basketball wise) than 99% of his opponents. He won’t be able to rely on that to get him through against veteran guys who are on average probably smarter than him (basketball wise) because of their experience.

Lottery picks for the most part are suppose to be future All-Stars with their potential. I don’t think the scouts will see superstar potential in him once they start breaking down his game. He gambles too much defensively. He is reluctant to shoot at times, even when he is open. Many of his passes are questionable and would lead to lots of turnovers at the next level.

There are a lot of things that could knock him down a few spots once the scouts start dissecting his game.

I'm done caring about recruits or classes until they play in college. We learned this lesson several times over with Cal, and if you needed one final reminder, let it be Edwards.

I'd rather see UK loaded with LEGIT transfers from the portal and a couple of recruits mixed in. But Cal has to get impact transfers, not guys like Wheeler, Fredrick, Toppin, et al. There will be PLENTY of options.

Friend of mine who is die-hard Purdue joked to me, "You guys should just offer Zach Edey $5 million to transfer to UK next year as a graduate student. It would fit Cal's style."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT