ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K vs. John Calipari coaching NBA All-Star talent. The results might surprise you.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
We all know Coach K had talent. Lots of talent. But how many NBA All-Stars did he have?

Laettner made one All-Star team.
Grant Hill made a bunch of appearances.
Boozer made two.
Brand made two.
Deng made two.
Zion is an NBA All-Star.
As is Ingram, Kyrie, and obviously Tatum.

That's it. 9 NBA All-Stars over the course of a Duke career that spanned through four decades. *** It should also be noted that only three of these players played more than two seasons at Duke, so the argument about "Well yeah, but Coach K had senior teams" doesn't really apply to the vast majority of his NBA All-Stars.

So how many does Cal have? Additionally, how many will he have coached when it's all said and done?

Presently, Calipari coached

De'Aaron Fox
SGA
Julius Randle
Karl Towns
Anthony Davis
Devin Booker
John Wall
DeMarcus Cousins
Derrick Rose
Bam Adebayo

That's 10. That's more than Coach K, and only one natty to show for it.

Even if you take out Coach K's senior-dominated teams from the 90s (for fairness sake), and only count titles in the OAD ERA, Coach K still has two titles to Cal's one, and during that span, Cal has had 10 NBA All-Stars to Coach K's 4.

The saddest thing about this is that Calipari will probably end up with 3 or 4 MORE NBA All-Stars when it's all said and done. Murray and Maxey are right on the cusp of becoming All-Stars; in fact, Murray would have been one this year if he had been healthy. Then there's Johnson, Herro, and soon guys like Edwards and possibly even someone like Wagner. I think it's safe to say that when Cal finally retires, his college coaching career will have included coaching no less than 12, and probably 13, NBA All-Stars.

By the way, Dean Smith leads all coaches with 12 NBA All-Stars.

Even the ole overrated UNC Coach managed to win at least two titles.

Will Cal get there?

I do hope he can pull out one more title for his own legacy. But I’m just not sure I can see him winning 6 games in March again. His lack of game preparation, in game adjustments, and feuds with different refs stack the deck against him.

All of those are things he can change though, but he seems set in his way. It will take a group of players that can truly ball out to get him a second title.

I do hope he can pull out one more title for his own legacy. But I’m just not sure I can see him winning 6 games in March again. His lack of game preparation, in game adjustments, and feuds with different refs stack the deck against him.

All of those are things he can change though, but he seems set in his way. It will take a group of players that can truly ball out to get him a second title.
This is why getting guys like Livingston and Ty Ty back becomes so vital. Cal is not capable of winning it all without a wealth of talent. Even when he has the best players on the court (2008, 2010, 2015, 2017, 2022, etc.), it's far from certain that his teams will advance.

He literally needs a "super team" to win it all, and next year doesn't look like that type of team (again).

Oh good it's one of my favorite thing this board does, pretend NBA all stars were NBA all stars while in college, and didn't develop any skills at the next level.

Bam wasn't an all star until he'd been in the league three years. Took Fox six years, SGA five, Randle seven, KAT three, Booker five, Wall four, and Cousins five. All of these guys clearly developed their game a ton in the NBA.

Counting the number of NBA all stars any college coach has had and evaluating college coaching success based on that is literally meaningless.

This is why getting guys like Livingston and Ty Ty back becomes so vital. Cal is not capable of winning it all without a wealth of talent. Even when he has the best players on the court (2008, 2010, 2015, 2017, 2022, etc.), it's far from certain that his teams will advance.

He literally needs a "super team" to win it all, and next year doesn't look like that type of team (again).
Yup. His one title came from having a generational player and a little luck with the NBA lock out.

I guess the portal can help fill in some pieces, but I’d say he hasn’t been the best with getting the right guys from it.

Oh good it's one of my favorite thing this board does, pretend NBA all stars were NBA all stars while in college, and didn't develop any skills at the next level.

Bam wasn't an all star until he'd been in the league three years. Took Fox six years, SGA five, Randle seven, KAT three, Booker five, Wall four, and Cousins five. All of these guys clearly developed their game a ton in the NBA.

Counting the number of NBA all stars any college coach has had and evaluating college coaching success based on that is literally meaningless.
Wall, Cousins, Randle, KAT and Fox were absolute ballers in college. Stars & team leaders.

Booker and SGA were very good players who scored in double digits and could go off for 20+ on any given night.

Not sure what exactly is the pro-CCC argument here...? And yeah, it's true, only Triple C could put those teams together. What is also true is this: only CCC could manage NOT to go 40-0 with the 2014-2015 team or NOT to win a title with the 2009-2010 team.

Your post is lacking in strength. Try again.

John Wall was a first-team all NCAA player. Cousins was second team.

CDR was a first-team all NCAA player. Rose was third team according to the AP and NABC.

Anthony Davis was first-team all NCAA player.

MKG was consensus all-second team.

Julius Randle was third team AP and NABC.

Karl Towns was a second team all-American.

Tyler Ulis was a first team all-American.

Jamal Murray was third-team AP.

Malik Monk was second-team all-American.

PJ Washington was third team AP and NABC.

Oscar was first team all-American in 2022 and 2023.

Only one other coach in America has had as many first (6), second (3), and third team (4) all-Americans in that time span. That's Duke with 6 first teamers, 5 second teamers, and 4 third teamers.

Also, the vast majority of Cal's OAD and future All-Stars were all-SEC performers at the very least. Almost all of those guys were NBA All-rookie team.

Your argument is weak.

Try again.

Wall, Cousins, Randle, KAT and Fox were absolute ballers in college. Stars & team leaders.

Booker and SGA were very good players who scored in double digits and could go off for 20+ on any given night.

Not sure what exactly is the pro-CCC argument here...? And yeah, it's true, only Triple C could put those teams together. What is also true is this: only CCC could manage NOT to go 40-0 with the 2014-2015 team or NOT to win a title with the 2009-2010 team.
It's not a pro-Cal argument. It's just pointing out how foolish it is to use NBA performance to gauge college coaching success, especially when those future NBA players are only in college for one year. And yet again, this board underestimates the randomness of the tournament. There have been plenty of all time great teams that haven't won titles. Zion didn't even make the Final Four, and K is the best college coach to every do it.

Your post is lacking in strength. Try again.

John Wall was a first-team all NCAA player. Cousins was second team.

CDR was a first-team all NCAA player. Rose was third team according to the AP and NABC.

Anthony Davis was first-team all NCAA player.

MKG was consensus all-second team.

Julius Randle was third team AP and NABC.

Karl Towns was a second team all-American.

Tyler Ulis was a first team all-American.

Jamal Murray was third-team AP.

Malik Monk was second-team all-American.

PJ Washington was third team AP and NABC.

Oscar was first team all-American in 2022 and 2023.

Only one coach in America has had as many first (6), second (3), and third team (4) all-Americans in that time span. That's Duke with 6 first teamers, 5 second teamers, and 4 third teamers.

Also, the vast majority of Cal's OAD and future All-Stars were all-SEC performers at the very least.

Your argument is weak.

Try again.
Cool, so use college accolades, don't use NBA ones. I'm not defending Cal, I'm just sick of this board acting like 2015 Booker was as good as 2023 Booker is.

Cool, so use college accolades, don't use NBA ones. I'm not defending Cal, I'm just sick of this board acting like 2015 Booker was as good as 2023 Booker is.
No one is making that case, but acting like Cal's guys took longer to develop when ignoring guys like Towns, Ulis, MKG, CDR, Cousins, Wall, Davis, and Oscar is strange (not to mention guys like Tyreke Evans and Brandon Knight). They were all first and second-team all-Americans. Booker was really the only guy on the list of Cal's future All-Stars who wasn't at least All-SEC worthy.

All of these guys were outstanding in college, except for Booker, and even he was solid and worthy of a lottery pick.

I completely agree with you. I saw someone on this board complaining about Cal using Demarcus Cousins as a back to the basket big since he shoots 3s so well in the NBA.

And this isn't a pro-Cal message either, but if you compare the times Duke has had 3 top 10 recruits to the times UK has had 3 top 10 recruits, Duke has disappointed significantly more than we have (we've never lost before the elite 8 in those 4 years, duke lost in the 2nd round twice in those 4 years). I think it's very evident now that the key to winning in college basketball is not about who has the most talent so I see know point in bringing up a players individual NBA success when discussing their college's team success

We all know Coach K had talent. Lots of talent. But how many NBA All-Stars did he have?

Boozer made two.
Brand made two.
Deng made two.
Zion is an NBA All-Star.

That's it. 9 NBA All-Stars over the course of a Duke career that spanned through four decades. *** It should also be noted that only three of these players played more than two seasons at Duke, so the argument about "Well yeah, but Coach K had senior teams" doesn't really apply to the vast majority of his NBA All-Stars.

So how many does Cal have? Additionally, how many will he have coached when it's all said and done?

De'Aaron Fox
SGA
Julius Randle
Karl Towns
Anthony Davis
Devin Booker
John Wall
DeMarcus Cousins
Derrick Rose
Bam Adebayo

Even if you take out Coach K's senior-dominated teams from the 90s (for fairness sake), and only count titles in the OAD ERA, Coach K still has two titles to Cal's one, and during that span, Cal has had 10 NBA All-Stars to Coach K's 4.

The saddest thing about this is that Calipari will probably end up with 3 or 4 MORE NBA All-Stars when it's all said and done. Murray and Maxey are right on the cusp of becoming All-Stars; in fact, Murray would have been one this year if he had been healthy. Then there's Johnson, Herro, and soon guys like Edwards and possibly even someone like Wagner. I think it's safe to say that when Cal finally retires, his college coaching career will have included coaching no less than 12, and probably 13, NBA All-Stars.

Will Cal get there?
Coach K had:

Laettner- 4 years
G. Hill- 4 years
B. Hurley- 4 years

All three of these guys played together for two of K's titles. Those same two titles included Brian Davis, Antonio Lang, and Cherokee Parks, who each spent some time in the NBA.

Boozer- 3 years
Battier- 4 years (NBA All-Rooke, 2x NBA All-Def.)
Jay Williams- Would have been an NBA All-Star if not for his motorcycle accident

All three of these guys were on the 2000-2001 championship team together. Plus, they had Mike Dunleavy and Chris Duhon who both played in the NBA.

Deng
Brand
Zion
Ingram
Kyrie
Tatum

Zero titles

K's two other titles:
2009-2010: Had 7 NBA players on it. Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith, Miles Plumlee, Lance Thomas, Andre Dawkins, Mason Plumlee, and Ryan Kelly.

2014-2015: Had 8 NBA players on it. Jahlil Okafor, Quinn Cook, Justise Winslow, Tyus Jones, Amile Jefferson, Grayson Allen, Marshall Plumlee, and Semi Ojeleve.

Could you imagine if Cal would have had:
John Wall- Junior
Demarcus Cousins- Junior
Brandon Knight- Sophomore
Anthony Davis- Freshman
Doron Lamb- Sophomore
MKG- Freshman
Terrance Jones- Sophomore
Eric Bledsoe- Junior

We would have had a championship in 2011 and 2012.

Then, in 2013:
John Wall- Senior
Demarcus Cousins- Senior
Brandon Knight- Junior
Anthony Davis- Sophomore
Doron Lamb- Junior
MKG- Sophomore
Terrance Jones- Junior
Eric Bledsoe- Senior
Nerlens Noel- Freshman
WCS- Freshman
Archie Goodwin-Freshman
Poythress- Freshman

Then in 2014:
Brandon Knight- Senior
Anthony Davis- Junior
Doron Lamb- Senior
MKG- Junior
Terrance Jones- Senior
Nerlens Noel- Sophomore
WCS- Sophomore
Archie Goodwin- Sophomore
Harrison Twins- Freshman
Julius Randle- Freshman
James Young- Freshman
Poythress- Sophomore
Dakari Johnson- Freshman

Point is, if Cal would have had teams stay together like K did back in the 90s and 00s, he would have had multiple championships. That's just not the system anymore.

I completely agree with you. I saw someone on this board complaining about Cal using Demarcus Cousins as a back to the basket big since he shoots 3s so well in the NBA.

And this isn't a pro-Cal message either, but if you compare the times Duke has had 3 top 10 recruits to the times UK has had 3 top 10 recruits, Duke has disappointed significantly more than we have (we've never lost before the elite 8 in those 4 years, duke lost in the 2nd round twice in those 4 years). I think it's very evident now that the key to winning in college basketball is not about who has the most talent so I see know point in bringing up a players individual NBA success when discussing their college's team success
Overall I'd agree that Coach K has stunk up the place utilizing OAD talent.

With that being said, he still milked two titles out of the OAD Era and Cal only won one.

No surprise Cal uses college as a g league and it is all about draft day and the league and he could care less about UK and its fans. He is being paid 10 million a year to develop players for someone else. It is pathetic how he has used and abused UK and our storied tradition

Boozer made two.
Brand made two.
Deng made two.
Zion is an NBA All-Star.

De'Aaron Fox
SGA
Julius Randle
Karl Towns
Anthony Davis
Devin Booker
John Wall
DeMarcus Cousins
Derrick Rose
Bam Adebayo

Will Cal get there?
Cal blew his chances in 2014 and 2015. Had another stolen for a chance at 2 other final fours at least. If he can manage to get this class some top shelf help and they turn out like previous classes then maybe but I put it about 2% that everything aligns.

but if you compare the times Duke has had 3 top 10 recruits to the times UK has had 3 top 10 recruits, Duke has disappointed significantly more than we have
Funny you say this, because there are actually advanced analytics that completely back up this statement. Between 2010-2020 the most overachieving coach in the NCAA tournament based on those analytics was Cal. One of the most underachieving was K.

This board just doesn't understand the tournament. That 2015 team, despite being undefeated going into the tournament, only had a 41% chance of winning it all. Normally the top overall seed has around a 25% chance. And I believe over the last twenty years or so the top overall seed has only won it all like three times (I've looked this up in the past but I'm not doing it again). Winning a title, even when your team is stacked, is really hard.

Reactions: YouKay and jbne222
Overall I'd agree that Coach K has stunk up the place utilizing OAD talent.

With that being said, he still milked two titles out of the OAD Era and Cal only won one.
I'm not disagreeing that we should have more titles. I do think people:

1. put too much emphasis on ideas like "well we had x amount of 5 stars and y amount of NBA players that means we should have done x" (we've clearly seen that these things don't translate to tournament success in college basketball as a whole), and
2. underestimate the fact that you have to win 6 games in a row in the tournament and even if you're the best team by far you're still going to have a 20-25% chance to win it all AT THE MOST in a given year. This is why I have an issue with people saying we've "sucked" since 2015 when the only difference between missing the final four and 2017 and 2019, and making it in 2011 and 2014, was one individual shot.

My fault with Cal isn't really surrounding the fact we only have one title (although it is unfortunate) because I think the tournament is so random once you get to the later rounds, you can really lose to anyone regardless of coaching or any one individual thing. My issue is more the fact that we haven't even been one of those teams with a chance to win it all at the end for the past few years and it's just been a consistent downtrend

Funny you say this, because there are actually advanced analytics that completely back up this statement. Between 2010-2020 the most overachieving coach in the NCAA tournament based on those analytics was Cal. One of the most underachieving was K.

This board just doesn't understand the tournament. That 2015 team, despite being undefeated going into the tournament, only had a 41% chance of winning it all. Normally the top overall seed has around a 25% chance. And I believe over the last twenty years or so the top overall seed has only won it all like three times (I've looked this up in the past but I'm not doing it again). Winning a title, even when your team is stacked, is really hard.
Completely agree. I typed my above reply to someone else above ^ and you completely hit on everything I was trying to say lol

The OP just proved that the most talented team rarely wins the championship...

Happens each year...what's new?
Exactly. It's the most random tournament in the world. It's very difficult to win a championship in college bball. Even when you have a "super team."

Reactions: jbne222
Top overall seed wins the title like 15% of the time. Another long winded post from OP that thinks it's a lot smarter than it actually is.
Which gives them a much higher statistical probability than every other seed. 1 seeds in general (top 4 teams) have won the championship more than every other seed 2-15 COMBINED

Which gives them a much higher statistical probability than every other seed. 1 seeds in general (top 4 teams) have won the championship more than every other seed 2-15 COMBINED
Sure, but to pick any one year and say it was a failure because the top overall seed didn't win it all just doesn't match up with the reality of the tournament.

Cal definitely fulfills his mission statement. Its about his kids and the next level, and if it so happens to result in big time wins at UK, then its icing on the cake.

K was always about Duke first. And I love it.

If Cal could own the NCAA like K did and get great draws even when undeserved he would win more. I have never saw a game with K where he just got blatantly bad calls that everone said he was cheated. Without a doubt we were Roofereed out of a chance a 2 good shots at championships!! Why wasn’t Laettner tossed for a stomp!! I still wish our player had gotten up and fought him!!

If Cal could own the NCAA like K did and get great draws even when undeserved he would win more. I have never saw a game with K where he just got blatantly bad calls that everone said he was cheated. Without a doubt we were Roofereed out of a chance a 2 good shots at championships!!
You didn’t see K during his first decade coaching. Dean was what K became

No, it provided a strong argument that very talented but uncoached teams rarely win the championship.
Zion's team was uncoached? Ewing's '85 Hoyas were uncoached? '84 UNC with Jordan and Sam Perkins were uncoached? Fab Five were uncoached? '97 Kansas with Paul Pierce was uncoached? '99 Duke, which may have been K's best team ever, was uncoached?

Reactions: jbne222
Zion's team was uncoached? Ewing's '85 Hoyas were uncoached? '84 UNC with Jordan and Sam Perkins were uncoached? Fab Five were uncoached? '97 Kansas with Paul Pierce was uncoached? '99 Duke, which may have been K's best team ever, was uncoached?
I'll add on 2023 Alabama. Clearly that team is well coached right??? Surely no one on this board would ever infer Nate Oats isn't anything but the holy grail of coaching

I'll add on 2023 Alabama. Clearly that team is well coached right??? Surely no one on this board would ever infer Nate Oats isn't anything but the holy grail of coaching
If Oats guys are hitting they are unbeatable. If they are cold almost anyone can beat them. He gives his guys freedom to shoot but sometimes it doesn’t work out.

What? That's tragically flawed logic. "Uncoached teams don't win the championship", is nowhere near "teams that don't win the championship are uncoached". There's only one team that can win it each year, and many teams that don't are great teams, with great players and great coaching. What is almost always true though is that talented but uncohesive teams get bounced early.

All this seems to do is support that cal isn’t a great coach

I don’t think anyone has ever doubted Cal’s ability to recruit. I think I read where this is Cal’s 8th time in 14 years coaching at UK he has had the #1 ranked recruiting class. And most likely in the top 5 the other years. If you do that for long enough, you are going to have a lot of players move on to very successful careers in the NBA, which probably means a lot of All Stars.

Boozer made two.
Brand made two.
Deng made two.
Zion is an NBA All-Star.

De'Aaron Fox
SGA
Julius Randle
Karl Towns
Anthony Davis
Devin Booker
John Wall
DeMarcus Cousins
Derrick Rose
Bam Adebayo

Will Cal get there?
You’re right but how do you factor in the favorable treatment rat face got from everyone from the refs to the ncaa (cheat with no repercussions) + nike and the media compared to how Kentucky and Cal get treated?

You’re right but how do you factor in the favorable treatment rat face got from everyone from the refs to the ncaa (cheat with no repercussions) + nike and the media compared to how Kentucky and Cal get treated?
K earned it. He didn’t always have that kind of equity. In every part of our society, there is a K. It adds to his greatness, it doesn’t detract from it.

• Haha
Reactions: WeWant9
Donut will never make another Final Four let alone win a National Championship.

He will go down as the coach who accomplished the least with the most IMO.

Dean Smith would coach circles around Cow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT