ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrese Maxeys MVP Performance just one more black eye...

Some of you are just so obsessed with Cal (obsession can go both ways)!
Just give it up!!!
I'd be happy if we don't see his name again on this board, but I know some of you won't let your obsession go.
I prefer to focus on the present and the future (of UK basketball).

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08
Of all the examples you could have used, Maxey? That was Cal's last SEC title, he was the best player on that team, and we didn't even get the chance to underperform in the postseason. If we win the SEC Tourney and make a Final 4 that year Cal would still be here. Time to put the snake oil salesman in the rearview and move on, there's no point in justifying our displeasure with the previous regime anymore.

I[QUOTE="chroix, post: 12974590,
That team looked better when Hagans quit. Same thing with Tyty. Maxey got his minutes but was misused. You can deny it all you want.
[/QUOTE]

Hagan's missed like one game didn't he? We won by like 1 against Florida.

That team looked better when Hagans quit. Same thing with Tyty. Maxey got his minutes but was misused. You can deny it all you want.

You just straight up outing yourself with your alt accounts here? WTF?

I agree that Cal underachieved more than any other coach in college basketball history given how much talent he recruited. But coach K hadn’t solved the equation in freshman led teams either.

I’ve always been consistent and specific on my critique of Cal. Cal’s problem is not an inability to coach young talent. It’s his unwillingness to do so. Pope flying to reaffirm Williams’s commitment is already more effort than Cal ever exerted in 7 years towards getting someone to return. At least that we heard about.

Looking back in hindsight I would say that Cal saying the platoon is hurting recruiting is where the crack began. When you can’t defend your strategies and what makes your team great then you have diminished as a coach.
When he said no more platoons I knew it was over for more championships. It was clear it was about playing time for his ego of star players then winning games.

For Cal's record since the 38-1 team failed to cut down the nets. So many former Cats excelling in the NBA. The amount of talent Cal had and didn't utlize properly is downright criminal. If Coach K had had Cal's rosters he would have 5 more titles.
You know we were rolling with Maxey heading into that tournament and it was canceled cause of a pandemic.

Are we now blaming Cal for Covid too?

I'm still trying to figure out what Maxey is MVP of? Game 5? First Round Exits? Going 6-18 in must win games?

[/QUOTE]

We lost the game before that to UT and he’d been a head case for a few games before that as well. You sticking up for Hagans antics at that time? The photo with the money and then disappearing?

You can retcon this BS all you want. Cal should have been playing Maxey over Hagans. Cal should have played Tyty over Wheeler and he should have started Dillingham and Sheppard over Edwards and DJ. He botched his lineups and apparently a handful of people enjoyed watching it happen.

We lost the game before that to UT and he’d been a head case for a few games before that as well. You sticking up for Hagans antics at that time? The photo with the money and then disappearing?
[/QUOTE]

I dont really like Hagans from what I remember so no. I'm fine with moving hagans to 6th man on that team if March happened.

Idk if they had depth to do much without him contributing something.

That season summed up for me is lose to Evansville, somehow win sec, and then covid happened. I don't have faith that team would have went far as calipari had already went full retard by then IMO.

The losses to auburn and ksu the two prior seasons and then Evansville showed it.

I dont really like Hagans from what I remember so no. I'm fine with moving hagans to 6th man on that team if March happened.
Idk if they had depth to do much without him contributing something.

That season summed up for me is lose to Evansville, somehow win sec, and then covid happened. I don't have faith that team would have went far as calipari had already went full retard by then IMO.

The losses to auburn and ksu the two prior seasons and then Evansville showed it.

You've got a funny way of agreeing with someone.

Good luck to Maxey and thanks for coming to UK to play basketball. Otherwise, I’m not a follower. I’m not an NBA slurper. Could care less who wins in the NBA.

I hate this argument. Couldn't have won without Daivs. Couldn't have won without Lamb. Couldn't have won without Jones. ETC>>>
Jones and Lamb were there because the lockout. They're part of the argument. Hate it all you want, but it's the truth. The big difference in 2012 and 2015 were returning players. Most other years, we had star freshmen... even if they weren't AD and MKG level talents. The OP said that coach K would've won 5 more titles with Cal's rosters. I strongly disagree, although I'm confident he would've won in 2015 with our roster, even with AP hurt.

Jones and Lamb were there because the lockout. They're part of the argument. Hate it all you want, but it's the truth. The big difference in 2012 and 2015 were returning players. Most other years, we had star freshmen... even if they weren't AD and MKG level talents. The OP said that coach K would've won 5 more titles with Cal's rosters. I strongly disagree, although I'm confident he would've won in 2015 with our roster, even with AP hurt.
And Davis and MKG and Vargas which sucked but spelled Davis? Zero chance of winning without Davis and MKG. Point being people want to point to certain players but zero ships without all of them. It’s a weak argument to say anything else.

And Davis and MKG and Vargas which sucked but spelled Davis? Zero chance of winning without Davis and MKG. Point being people want to point to certain players but zero ships without all of them. It’s a weak argument to say anything else.
No... it's not a weak argument. The difference in 2012 and 2015 were returning stars... you can't win with ALL freshmen. That is the entire argument. AD and MKG were freshmen, just like Fox and Monk, etc... none of them won the ship except the group that had returning talent. There's NO WAY that Coach K would've won 5 titles with Cal's rosters

No... it's not a weak argument. The difference in 2012 and 2015 were returning stars... you can't win with ALL freshmen. That is the entire argument. AD and MKG were freshmen, just like Fox and Monk, etc... none of them won the ship except the group that had returning talent. There's NO WAY that Coach K would've won 5 titles with Cal's rosters
Here’s your quote. “We don't win in 2012 without Darius Miller and unexpected returnees due to the lockout”.

Even with the returnees and Miller we don’t win without the freshmen.

Reactions: Emarc
Here’s your quote. “We don't win in 2012 without Darius Miller and unexpected returnees due to the lockout”.

Even with the returnees and Miller we don’t win without the freshmen.
I agree with you on that... but we had really talented freshmen nearly every year. What we didn't have were guys good enough to leave, but stay. The talented freshmen were a constant throughout Cal's time here. Coach K would not have won 5 titles with our rosters. He couldn't win with an insane amount of freshman talent with Zion and co... I do think he would've won in 2015 though.

I agree with you on that... but we had really talented freshmen nearly every year. What we didn't have were guys good enough to leave, but stay. The talented freshmen were a constant throughout Cal's time here. Coach K would not have won 5 titles with our rosters. He couldn't win with an insane amount of freshman talent with Zion and co... I do think he would've won in 2015 though.
I agree but my statement was that I hate the argument that specifying we couldn’t have won without a particular player. We couldn’t have won with all of them including the practice players. The algorithm associated with the dynamics is too great to dismiss the others.

What's the point here? He was never or was he allowed to play in any post season games because of Covid.

CAL'S BALL LICKERS AT IT AGAIN

bang head on desk working GIF by GIF-THIS

Reactions: Samurai Cat
I agree that Cal underachieved more than any other coach in college basketball history given how much talent he recruited. But coach K hadn’t solved the equation in freshman led teams either.

I’ve always been consistent and specific on my critique of Cal. Cal’s problem is not an inability to coach young talent. It’s his unwillingness to do so. Pope flying to reaffirm Williams’s commitment is already more effort than Cal ever exerted in 7 years towards getting someone to return. At least that we heard about.

Looking back in hindsight I would say that Cal saying the platoon is hurting recruiting is where the crack began. When you can’t defend your strategies and what makes your team great then you have diminished as a coach.
It's the hardest title to win in all of sports. What UConn did is amazing. It's the only sport where the best team usually doesn't win the championship. One and done tournaments are difficult. In football the talent gap is huge between the elite and the others. In basketball it is very slim..

It's the hardest title to win in all of sports. What UConn did is amazing. It's the only sport where the best team usually doesn't win the championship. One and done tournaments are difficult. In football the talent gap is huge between the elite and the others. In basketball it is very slim..
Right. I’ve been watching the sport for over 30 years but I appreciate the heads up. Winning a title is hard. That’s why you have to make sure if your method starts to shows sign of decline, it’s time to adapt again.

Reactions: chroix
It’s such stupid revisionist thinking. It’s the same thing some do in regards to Booker.

The Maxey of 2024 is MILES better than the Maxey of 2020. It’s such lazy thinking.

And that’s not even mentioning that Maxey didn’t even get to play in the tournament.
Yes
Players do grow up, mature and develop
I hold Calipari responsible for a lot of things
This is not one of them

Reactions: chroix
For Cal's record since the 38-1 team failed to cut down the nets. So many former Cats excelling in the NBA. The amount of talent Cal had and didn't utlize properly is downright criminal. If Coach K had had Cal's rosters he would have 5 more titles.
Macey’s class was the Covid class. Surprised you didn’t know that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT