ADVERTISEMENT

CMIIW, verbiage question...

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall anyone saying specifically "last year" or "last chance" or "last try to get it down". Has anyone specified that this is in fact Cal's last chance? My fear is that Mitch won't even get to "one more chance" for another year or two. Folks, Unless that's said, or at least solidily implied, there's zero reason to think this is Cal's last season in Lexington. Has anyone seen that Mitch is releasing a statement or doing a presser?

It's really not very difficult to figure out if you apply a little common sense.

UK will not pay the buyout until it's under 20 million. That won't occur for 2 more years.

• Sad
Reactions: catben
It's really not very difficult to figure out if you apply a little common sense.

UK will not pay the buyout until it's under 20 million. That won't occur for 2 more years.
What makes you say that? And why $20M? I thought there was a report that said the money was no issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall anyone saying specifically "last year" or "last chance" or "last try to get it down". Has anyone specified that this is in fact Cal's last chance? My fear is that Mitch won't even get to "one more chance" for another year or two. Folks, Unless that's said, or at least solidily implied, there's zero reason to think this is Cal's last season in Lexington. Has anyone seen that Mitch is releasing a statement or doing a presser?
What is the line in the sand for the season?

Reactions: SemperFiCat
What makes you say that? And why $20M? I thought there was a report that said the money was no issue.
Just because you hear a report does not make it true. There were also reports Cal was done. Is he?

Because under 20 million looks much better publicly, it's also a number they feel comfortable being able to pay him, as well as still being able to offer the next hire a competitive contract, provide them ample funds to hire assistants and a staff, while also being able to continue adequately funding the rest of the athletic program.

Also, if you take boosters money to pay a massive buyout, what happens when you need their money again for NIL? Do you all think these boosters just have open wallets?

Reactions: catben and NociHTTP
Just because you hear a report does not make it true. There were also reports Cal was done. Is he?

Because under 20 million looks much better publicly, it's also a number they feel comfortable being able to pay him, as well as still being able to offer the next hire a competitive contract, provide them ample funds to hire assistants and a staff, while also being able to continue adequately funding the rest of the athletic program.

Also, if you take boosters money to pay a massive buyout, what happens when you need their money again for NIL? Do you all think these boosters just have open wallets?
Assumption isn’t always truth either. If they need to pay the 33, they will

Calipari will be back as long as he wants to come back. Sure, the money of paying Cal's buyout AND a new coach of the caliber that we need is significant, but even more so would be the stain on University and the Athletic Department that they really screwed this situation to the hilt. Can you just imagine that press conference? Mitch standing up in a roomful of reporters and actively admitting that he made a mistake that cost the University tens of millions of dollars?

The only factorsthat perhaps might mitigate Cal's return are Cal violating his contract OR a constantly empty Rupp arena and I just don't think those are going to happen. Bottom line, it really sucks investing a lot of one's emotional energy into something over which you have absolutely no control. I personally plan on investing less and less.

Last edited:
Don’t think for a second that if he makes the Elite 8 next year he’s not coming back. Anyone who listened to his call in show the other night could easily tell that’s a man who has no plans on giving this up anytime soon. Did the meeting last night change that? Maybe, but I doubt it.

As I said the other day, I really believe this season caught Barnhart off guard. Cal had the most popular team he’s had in at least 7 years. Nobody expected us to go out like we did those last two games.

I think it just so happened that Barnhart was in the process of looking for a women’s coach when the men tanked and he was busy with that situation at the time. The whole football situation wasn’t/isn’t looking good, then men’s basketball completely laid down this postseason.

I’m not sure how old Barnhart is or what his plans are but I wouldn’t be shocked if football and men’s basketball both struggle again to see him step down. And i think it’s very likely to happen to be honest. It may become too much for him especially with those buyouts.

My biggest concern now is that Mitch gives Cal an extension. And a raise.
If that happens I will completely stop watching games. I'll still be a UK fan, but my way of mourning is to completely shut out whatever I miss. I can not imagine UK allowing something like that to happen.

What assumptions?

Really, so why didn't they?
Because seemingly they aren’t confident in getting the right hire in at this time. While I don’t agree with this and would have moved on and taken my chances that is the one and only reason cal is still here.

I don't know where the line in the sand is. None of us do, and we won't.

But we do know Cal's job is on the line. Which means Mitch's job is also on the line. The president/board let him make this decision. I can only assume that if his decision backfires, both will be fired. I do believe that's what will happen.

The question is where that imaginary line in the sand lies. I truly believe that a 1st or 2nd round exit in the NCAAT will result in both getting canned. What I'm scared of is that we have a bad season but somehow make the Elite 8...and he keeps his job.

Regardless of what happens, this is a complete Shit Show.

But we do know Cal's job is on the line. Which means Mitch's job is also on the line. The president/board let him make this decision. I can only assume that if his decision backfires, both will be fired. I do believe that's what will happen.

The question is where that imaginary line in the sand lies. I truly believe that a 1st or 2nd round exit in the NCAAT will result in both getting canned. What I'm scared of is that we have a bad season but somehow make the Elite 8...and he keeps his job.

I agree. But I don't know if it's realistic, or smart, to fire both at the same time. I'd think you'd absolutely have to have your new AD, with pen and paper in hand, ready to sign and start making calls.

Joker Phillips, BCG, Kyra Elzy, the last 4 years of the basketball team being crap, the cheerleading team being decimated, failures adapting to NIL, Cal and Stoops' civil war a couple of years ago, the absolutely embarrassing contract for Cal, and I am sure several other things I am failing to mention all occured under Mitch with 0 repercussions or even concerns. Yet, you think another subpar year of basketball will get him fired?

Cal will be here until a better option is available and interested.

Here's what the issue is, everyone involved is so gun shy after Billy Gillespie that nobody wants to risk that again.

If a top tier coach wanted the gig and let it be known through proper channels, it'd have happened.

The money keeps rolling in for the program so you can holler about MB all you want, but the folks and business partners with the real cheese like him and keep paying up. They apparently like Cal too.

MB won't be fired he's done way more good than not good. He's made way too much money for the program and has run a pretty clean ship free of major disaster and scandal compared to a lot of places. He's about as untouchable as anyone in the state of Kentucky. His reputation across collegiate athletics is stellar. Folks don't realize or want to realize it, but he's well regarded. Lot of programs are fairly competitive and successful across the board, and he's the only AD to have halfway figured out football.

• Haha
Reactions: catben
I think it's two factors together: the remaining buyout, and the optics.

Next year the buyout is however many millions less.. and this off-season were already seeing the media putting out headlines similar to the effect of "Cal makes it back for another year".

He's already on the hot seat, and it was much hotter now than it was last year. If this season goes south or we lose early in the tournament, I don't see how he survives.

The reason Cal got that contract was Eli Capiluto as much as it was Mitch. So, IMHO, if Cal doesn’t turn this around NOW and get our team back to winning an SEC championship and reaching a Final 4, then Ole Eli needs to be just as accountable as Mitch!!

The reason Cal got that contract was Eli Capiluto as much as it was Mitch. So, IMHO, if Cal doesn’t turn this around NOW and get our team back to winning an SEC championship and reaching a Final 4, then Ole Eli needs to be just as accountable as Mitch!!
Ousting a university president over a basketball program is a pretty hard sell. At least I'd think so anyway.

Cal will win an SEC tournament game and make it to the S16. Then Mitch will give him a double lifetime contract with $100 million buyout and declare UK basketball is back.

• Haha
Reactions: MadaboutBlue
This is all on Mitch. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to walk away from 3.5 years salary. I'd make them fire me too.

Cals on the court coaching has been atrocious and he is to blame for on court failures but I'm just speaking about the overall situation and the seemingly inability to fire him. That's Mitch. Moron Mitch.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Who did they reach out to?
I am not sure they reached out to anyone. Or maybe they reached out to a handful of top targets through back channels to see if any interest at all. I don’t know. Have zero connections and not even going to pretend too. My take is nothing more than yours, an educated guess, we just have differing opinions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT