ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan’s Press Conference Today…

I mean I don’t usually buy into the hype but that video was interesting to say the least. Sounded like an audition tape to me.
He's definitely not closing the door on the opportunity, but UK might feel that it's just poor timing for Donovan and that they can't wait around for the possibility of being told no and losing out on getting anything decent from the portal. From THAT interview, had the timing been a bit better, it is NO QUESTION that he'd take the position.

Just a few random thoughts on why Donovan might be interested now but wasn't 15 and 17 years ago:

1. He won't be having to replace a friend from the same coaching tree (Tubby) this time around.

2. He's had plenty of time to pursue the NBA dream and check that box in his career.

3. Rather than being a deterrent, the portal and NIL may make the Kentucky basketball job even more attractive to someone like Donovan who knows the lengths UK's supporters will go to to field a winning team. He knows he would have the resources here to compete with anyone.

The timing and situation may not have been right for him in 2007 or 2009. But perhaps now it is? One thing is for sure, Billy Donovan said a helluva lot more than he had to when asked that question by the media. It was almost like he was glowing when discussing the program's history and traditions. Based on that press conference, I now think he's much more interested in this job than I did 24 hours ago.
He’s not interested.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Exactly. Billy Donovan 15 years ago would’ve been awesome.

But a Donovan who’s been out of CBB’s for a decade …has never dealt with NIL or the transfer portal …and who’s already turned us down twice and might only consider us this third time because he’s on the hot seat in Chicago?

I’m not sure how much I want this version of Billy Donovan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT