ADVERTISEMENT

Change is comin

Mitch doesn’t give you all the day after thanksgiving off? Sorry but I feel like this post is a major public relations write up and we will see a lot more like this over the next 6 months. I really do wonder sometimes if they have employees pop in here to put positive spin on things because they seem to have new users/people who do not post much (this guy has 3 posts?) then they won’t post again for 6 months.
Dude if you don't like it just ignore it. Does it make you feel better to keep anyone from being positive about the program? I have no idea if this guy knows what he's talking about but I do have faith Stoops will make changes. He's shown over and over again he's willing to make the tough decisions. and I honestly don't mind if you think differently, just please don't do it on every thread about Stoops. It'll make for a terrible off season around here.

I prefer a 3-4 defense, but it takes the right personnel or it is more liability than asset.

I do not like a bend don't break defense because they eventually break.

That said, even though I hate his philosophy, White has had some great defenses over his years here. The defense lost so much last year that they had no chance to replace it in one go. I think he deserves another year.

Coen is new so he needs a chance to adapt, and we can't continue to have a revolving door at the that spot or coordinators won't come here period.

Marrow isn't going anywhere.

Everyone else can gtfo. Not even kidding. This season has been a total SS.
I wish we would go back to the 4-3. We don’t have elite athletes on the edge any more to depend on for a pass rush so let’s go back to a 4 man front where we can stunt and move solid lineman around

Since Rogers news is out I guess i'll share what i've heard over last month. Three names on QB front are Rogers, Vandagriff, and Jacurri Brown from Miami. Very secretive on top targets. It is tough to get info these days as Stoops and his main crew have walled themselves off, but I like what little I’m hearing more and more from the NIL/portal crowd. Staff is pissed at themselves and roster - focused on retooling for tough schedule next year and setting up for big year in 2025.

Sounds like a lot of feelers already out on the WR front. TAMU WR mentioned. It's a wide net, but some younger guys at Ohio State and Bama in loaded rooms who aren’t getting their touches are very interested. An extremely productive G5 guy is a top target. In total would guess 4-5 new faces in that group. Focus is on upgrading talent (and size) but more importantly character. Not breaking news but the current crew (besides #9) has been a major issue for the staff since Georgia and they are ready for a total reboot. The probability of locking down the WR studs relies on how quickly QB target is announced as the Leary flop this year set us back on Coen’s pitch. Have to lock that down quick. The O-line will be a total overhaul. Hoping to get Cox back but if not, Flax and Ford will compete for one of the tackle spots and the other 4 will be new faces. Won’t see interior guys moving forward. Good kids but not up to staff’s talent level or scheme fit up front. Once this is fixed, you will see TE’s used more in passing game.

Defensively we are lucky to have 0 in the middle and will for another year before he goes pro. Big piece on field and in the locker room and he will get NIL $$$ to match. Don’t know any names to fix the edges but told changes there will be younger/cheaper NIL portal guys and thrown into the mix day 1. Crowded and expensive market for elite EDGEs. Linebacker in a good spot. Big change coming in secondary similar to O-line. Hairston is a serious flight risk and a lot of new faces needed regardless.

Next chapter starts now.
I’m curious if one potential receiver is Corley from WKU? He made a x comment about his last season at WKU. He is a junior currently.

Reactions: KentuckyDC
If Key and Brown both come back I’ll be happy but only if they commit to the work and fix their attitudes. Otherwise, they can both leave. I don’t need the version we got this year of either.
I don’t think Key has an attitude problem. He’s a legacy player and for whatever reason went through several games with a case of the yips this year. Yes he has some fundamentals to work on, but he’s a solid kid with usually good hands. He never struck me as a YAC type guy, but we know from his freshman year that he by and large can make the tough catch when needed. He seems to have gotten his confidence back for the last few games, minus the fumble, but again, he’s not a YAC guy and ball protection is something he needs to work on. I’ve not given up on Key being an important piece of the puzzle moving forward. I’m mixed on Brown. I think he can be replaced and I think the whole receiver group needs an upgrade in coaching.

I prefer a 3-4 defense, but it takes the right personnel or it is more liability than asset.

I do not like a bend don't break defense because they eventually break.

That said, even though I hate his philosophy, White has had some great defenses over his years here. The defense lost so much last year that they had no chance to replace it in one go. I think he deserves another year.

Coen is new so he needs a chance to adapt, and we can't continue to have a revolving door at the that spot or coordinators won't come here period.

Marrow isn't going anywhere.

Everyone else can gtfo. Not even kidding. This season has been a total SS.
I half think Yenser was kept as the lesser of two evils hoping that Scangs offense contributed to the OL deficiencies and so they had some bit of continuity with that unit instead of the OL having to be on their 4th coach in 4 years. As for OC, Coen leaving for the Rams wasn’t expected either. Had he stayed we would be in year three of Coen and likely running a crisper offense.

Coh
Agree. They’ll csn Yenser for sure and probably Woody….id argue a Buffano firing is as valid..but

1. Coen alone is a talent but Stoops need to make him adjust a ton. The throwing to Barion so much was blatant and dumb. Also Yenser and Woody are Coen guys….so if Coen csnt get his coaches to perform….then it puts more pressure on Stoops decision making..which ain’t the best case

2. Is struggle to fire defense side guys…thjs is how coach stoops run his side. A lot of 3 man rush stop 8 ..not alot of attack. So if stoops and white are so passive…then why would I hammer a position coach
IMo Coen trying to channel Levis to Wandale with all the deep stuff to BB. Just doesn’t work. Like to see more of an attacking philosophy instead of deception based play calling.

Why do you even support UK football at this point? Already being negative about next year before this year is even over.

Watching the games this year it appears that a change in philosophy and coaching has resulted in the worst season in several years.

Constantly trying to throw deep balls with a qb that cannot hit them putting themselves in bad situations, being more risky on offense and going for it on fourth downs, etc.

Defense is still vanilla as can be I will give you that, but if stoops ran this team like a Benny snell team and his old stubborn self then it’s easily a 8 win regular season.

If the coaches are disappointed in the qb and receiver play and are looking to rehaul that as the main focus of the off season what more would you want?
This years defense is so bad I’m not sur
I can see that, but it seems like they keep trying to be main stream and modern and keep getting worse.

Should have realized in pre season that Leary cannot throw a ball farther than 15 yards and adjusted the offense accordingly.

If they used brown to get the safeties deep and threw underneath to the tight end or receivers prob would have a great offense.

instead brown runs wide open 2-3 times a game just to be overthrown.
Running pro style is not modern per se . It is complicated to learn and requires people make plays before the catch not just after. It takes a while to learn and understand it. We bring in a qb that doesn’t even do pro style so he comes in and everybody has to pick it up in a short amount of time and it’s not what made his skill set good when he was successful. Stoops wanted the rams thing a couple of years ago just to change the narrative and they had just won a Super Bowl. The offense and Levis struggled the first half of that season and then came on in the second half by zeroing in on Robinson and cutting the field in half for Levis. The pro style felt like modernizing to stoops but still kept it in that ‘comfortable’ range for him that season. It all worked out that year. But now you’re seeing the effects of teams getting early leads and we’re stuck in the mud. Can’t play fast nor can we ever overcome a negative play. We also don’t have near the o line we had several years back where we could still run some even though they knew it was coming.

Not sure Rogers excites me much as a potential starting QB. He does technically have a history of putting up numbers in the SEC, which is probably the justification for looking into him, but he did almost all of that in the air raid system, which is also what he ran in high school. I know he’s played a few games this year when he hasn’t been hurt in a somewhat more traditional offense, but he hasn’t really been that good other than one big game against
South Carolina. We’d still largely be in the process of re-training him as a pro style QB in his one year here, which would have disaster written all over it to me, especially since he doesn’t really have any stand-out physical attributes that could make up for some lack of polish.

I wish we would go back to the 4-3. We don’t have elite athletes on the edge any more to depend on for a pass rush so let’s go back to a 4 man front where we can stunt and move solid lineman around
100% Our pass rush and run stopping has been a problem all season.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I don’t think Key has an attitude problem. He’s a legacy player and for whatever reason went through several games with a case of the yips this year. Yes he has some fundamentals to work on, but he’s a solid kid with usually good hands. He never struck me as a YAC type guy, but we know from his freshman year that he by and large can make the tough catch when needed. He seems to have gotten his confidence back for the last few games, minus the fumble, but again, he’s not a YAC guy and ball protection is something he needs to work on. I’ve not given up on Key being an important piece of the puzzle moving forward. I’m mixed on Brown. I think he can be replaced and I think the whole receiver group needs an upgrade in coaching.
Would never happen but Brown has no business playing offense and should be a lock down corner IMO.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Not as easy as it sounds, we don’t have the personnel and depth to just transition over. I would like to see us bring some pressure in certain situations but our corner blitz is one of the least effective I’ve ever seen and gets blown up nearly every single time we use it. That in turn leaves the safeties, our weakest unit imo, in an even worse position. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t but you’re definitely right in that we have and will constantly get picked apart without any pressure. Big time edge and secondary issues have really hurt us and we don’t have the dogs or depth at either.

Last edited:
A lot of addition by subtraction needs to be done ASAP both with players and the staff. I think Stoops is a big part of the problem but he isn’t going anywhere so you just have to hope 2 crappy seasons in a row lights a fire in him again and he is dead set on making the right moves this time and goes out and finds quality staff that can recruit and develop players and not take more chances on unproven coaches. Players wise, need a complete reboot. Find players who are talented yet hungry and high character who will come in and add that chip on their shoulder mentality that the program is desperately missing right now. Somehow, someway find enough NIL to get a proven edge guy because the defense desperately needs one to make White’s system work. Not easy to recruit but man have they missed on that position in a big way since Allen graduated.

Sounds like we are going back to the drawing board and praying the portal pays off . Not good in our hyper competitive conference. After the last 2 years I’ve run out of confidence stoops can turn it around . JMHO .

The most concerning part of these posts is that it’s mostly about how good players are or aren’t if this is at all an accurate account.

1. What coaches are doing with players needs to be evaluated and adjusted.

2. This reads as though it’s a surprise the personnel is bad. It’s concerning that this staff is now ‘our personnel sucks’ even though they were running around leaking ‘this may be the year’ in the summer and fall during workouts and practices. Do they not have a clue what they are watching on the practice field or what they are recruiting here? I mean how do they miss the mark that badly running around saying the next step is here and then at the end of the year it’s overhauls everywhere?

Next chapter starts now.
So…. new QB, RB, revamp WR room, get cheap, but improved, EDGE(S). overhaul OL and DB room.

Sounds like barely an inconvience to do all that. Easy peasy.

Also, after the fan base have a lived out a couple of 10 win seasons…. they get testy real fast when they don’t get them.

8 or 9 wins?…… they shouldn’t get testy.

7 or 6 wins?……. They do get testy. And deservedly so.

Last edited:
Reactions: catben
Since Rogers news is out I guess i'll share what i've heard over last month. Three names on QB front are Rogers, Vandagriff, and Jacurri Brown from Miami. Very secretive on top targets. It is tough to get info these days as Stoops and his main crew have walled themselves off, but I like what little I’m hearing more and more from the NIL/portal crowd. Staff is pissed at themselves and roster - focused on retooling for tough schedule next year and setting up for big year in 2025.

Sounds like a lot of feelers already out on the WR front. TAMU WR mentioned. It's a wide net, but some younger guys at Ohio State and Bama in loaded rooms who aren’t getting their touches are very interested. An extremely productive G5 guy is a top target. In total would guess 4-5 new faces in that group. Focus is on upgrading talent (and size) but more importantly character. Not breaking news but the current crew (besides #9) has been a major issue for the staff since Georgia and they are ready for a total reboot. The probability of locking down the WR studs relies on how quickly QB target is announced as the Leary flop this year set us back on Coen’s pitch. Have to lock that down quick. The O-line will be a total overhaul. Hoping to get Cox back but if not, Flax and Ford will compete for one of the tackle spots and the other 4 will be new faces. Won’t see interior guys moving forward. Good kids but not up to staff’s talent level or scheme fit up front. Once this is fixed, you will see TE’s used more in passing game.

Defensively we are lucky to have 0 in the middle and will for another year before he goes pro. Big piece on field and in the locker room and he will get NIL $$$ to match. Don’t know any names to fix the edges but told changes there will be younger/cheaper NIL portal guys and thrown into the mix day 1. Crowded and expensive market for elite EDGEs. Linebacker in a good spot. Big change coming in secondary similar to O-line. Hairston is a serious flight risk and a lot of new faces needed regardless.

Next chapter starts now.
This guy knows his stuff.

It amazes me the people who bash Stoops. Do you remember what we were before? He deserves a chance of turning it around. If you watch the clips from the Locker, it is not a coaching thing. Give him a chance to clean house and get the players that fit.

Reactions: YaketySax

Next chapter starts now.
Good post but none of those qbs move me at all

Dane is definitely a good kid. I actually knew him a little bit when he was younger. So when I talk about this it's purely football related. I also think this team is better if they get both Dane and Berrion on the right track. I doubt we'll get two receivers with better upside than those two. However, Dane showed an arrogance this year (especially) early in the season, patting the guys helmet, celebrating after dropping two balls, etc. It's like Matt Jones said, acting like hes done something when he's done nothing but shown flashes of talent. That was both of their problem this year. They have a long way to go before they can show up with an "I'm the man" attitude. They're not good enough for that yet.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Last year was supposed to be the flop

Now it’s this

And already setting up next years debacle?

FIRE MARK STOOP(ID)S

It amazes me the people who bash Stoops. Do you remember what we were before? He deserves a chance of turning it around. If you watch the clips from the Locker, it is not a coaching thing. Give him a chance to clean house and get the players that fit.
Why should the past be a justification for us having expectations for the future. They shouldn’t be as bad as they have been the last two years, and a majority of it falls on coaching and the system in place

Last edited:
So did everyone “pony up”?
If you want those players out the portal or recruiting then you better start ponying up. Doesn’t matter if stoops is the guy or the next one, if you want to be real about competing that’s the answer.

Too many whiny moochers on message boards and Twitter that don’t contribute one dollar in season tickets, K fund, or NIL. But sure love to run their mouth.
Just like what we expect from our coaches the fans need to do as well: Less talk, more action.

Not sure Rogers excites me much as a potential starting QB.
Regardless, is he an improvement - experience/depth- on what we'll have for next season as things stand today? I judge quite the bit of improvement & thus a take.

Good point but what went wrong with these current players? These are his players.

Stoops isn't going anywhere.

He also recruited these players.

I also doubt he turns anything around but we have no expectations at UK so it's really hard to nail down a metric to turn things around.

They ignored character for talent/stars.
And you can see the frustration on Coach Stoops face and hear it in his responses during the Press Conferences over the last 5 games because of it. The staff kept kids we have and brought in transfers, paid them competitive NIL money but did NOT get the production they had hoped for from them.

We need to get back to bringing in kids that WANT to prove themselves, that will work HARD to get there AND WANT to win!!!

Reactions: Girthang
Staff changes coming (not coordinators) and some shifting of recruiting geographies (besides Big Dog). I would be surprised if Barion is back.
Obviously every coach should be a really good coach. Just as important or maybe even more so, every coach hired has to be a very good recruiter. Recently saw a list of the top 75 rated recruiters. Several SEC schools had at least 3 or more. UK had one, Vince at #13. We need more.

Want to keep Key but it won’t hurt my feelings at all if Brown leaves. Guy feels like he’s going through the motions half the time he’s on the field.
I don't like saying players names in a negative fashion but if Brown makes it happen today would be very happy to have him stay and if he doesn't it's okay if he goes.

Reactions: sefus12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT