ADVERTISEMENT

Change is comin

GoReds12

Gold Member
Jan 23, 2017
Since Rogers news is out I guess i'll share what i've heard over last month. Three names on QB front are Rogers, Vandagriff, and Jacurri Brown from Miami. Very secretive on top targets. It is tough to get info these days as Stoops and his main crew have walled themselves off, but I like what little I’m hearing more and more from the NIL/portal crowd. Staff is pissed at themselves and roster - focused on retooling for tough schedule next year and setting up for big year in 2025.

Sounds like a lot of feelers already out on the WR front. TAMU WR mentioned. It's a wide net, but some younger guys at Ohio State and Bama in loaded rooms who aren’t getting their touches are very interested. An extremely productive G5 guy is a top target. In total would guess 4-5 new faces in that group. Focus is on upgrading talent (and size) but more importantly character. Not breaking news but the current crew (besides #9) has been a major issue for the staff since Georgia and they are ready for a total reboot. The probability of locking down the WR studs relies on how quickly QB target is announced as the Leary flop this year set us back on Coen’s pitch. Have to lock that down quick. The O-line will be a total overhaul. Hoping to get Cox back but if not, Flax and Ford will compete for one of the tackle spots and the other 4 will be new faces. Won’t see interior guys moving forward. Good kids but not up to staff’s talent level or scheme fit up front. Once this is fixed, you will see TE’s used more in passing game.

Defensively we are lucky to have 0 in the middle and will for another year before he goes pro. Big piece on field and in the locker room and he will get NIL $$$ to match. Don’t know any names to fix the edges but told changes there will be younger/cheaper NIL portal guys and thrown into the mix day 1. Crowded and expensive market for elite EDGEs. Linebacker in a good spot. Big change coming in secondary similar to O-line. Hairston is a serious flight risk and a lot of new faces needed regardless.

Next chapter starts now.

Since Rogers news is out I guess i'll share what i've heard over last month. Three names on QB front are Rogers, Vandagriff, and Jacurri Brown from Miami. Very secretive on top targets. It is tough to get info these days as Stoops and his main crew have walled themselves off, but I like what little I’m hearing more and more from the NIL/portal crowd. Staff is pissed at themselves and roster - focused on retooling for tough schedule next year and setting up for big year in 2025.

Sounds like a lot of feelers already out on the WR front. TAMU WR mentioned. It's a wide net, but some younger guys at Ohio State and Bama in loaded rooms who aren’t getting their touches are very interested. An extremely productive G5 guy is a top target. In total would guess 4-5 new faces in that group. Focus is on upgrading talent (and size) but more importantly character. Not breaking news but the current crew (besides #9) has been a major issue for the staff since Georgia and they are ready for a total reboot. The probability of locking down the WR studs relies on how quickly QB target is announced as the Leary flop this year set us back on Coen’s pitch. Have to lock that down quick. The O-line will be a total overhaul. Hoping to get Cox back but if not, Flax and Ford will compete for one of the tackle spots and the other 4 will be new faces. Won’t see interior guys moving forward. Good kids but not up to staff’s talent level or scheme fit up front. Once this is fixed, you will see TE’s used more in passing game.

Defensively we are lucky to have 0 in the middle and will for another year before he goes pro. Big piece on field and in the locker room and he will get NIL $$$ to match. Don’t know any names to fix the edges but told changes there will be younger/cheaper NIL portal guys and thrown into the mix day 1. Crowded and expensive market for elite EDGEs. Linebacker in a good spot. Big change coming in secondary similar to O-line. Hairston is a serious flight risk and a lot of new faces needed regardless.

Next chapter starts now.
So no staff changes or REAL offensive philosophy changes will be made? Sounds like a rinse and repeat .

Next chapter starts now.
What’s being discussed about current players leaving?

Reactions: bluecoon1
It felt like last year the staff didn’t want to step on the toes of guys here by going after a lot of guys in the portal. The biggest position for me last year was at C where Cox was not good in 2022 and the position was obviously going to be an issue this year. Instead of going after many proven C that were available they took Bowles, a Kentucky kid but not someone that was going to come in and take a spot.

The interior has been an issue all year and Cox isn’t a center. Bowles has barely contributed as well.

Really just a terrible job of roster building by the staff.

Appreciate the info, glad to hear about the wr and db rooms. Makes sense about our use of the TE’s so any upgrade in the OL is a plus imo. In dire need of an edge guy either coming in or stepping up, still have hopes for Fearby and Wade but a rush from the edge would really help out a struggling secondary.

Glad to hear this. Did you see Kiffin after Ole Miss won the Egg Bowl last night? Mind you Ole Miss lost 5 of their last 6 last year, now have won 10 this year. After receiving congrats from Cublic Kiffin said: "It was good to win with a team with half the players being new." Maybe something similar coming?

I understand the negativity and feel the same way to some degree, but I'm willing to give Stoops some leeway to shake things up. He's earned some grace. If next season we get more of the same, and we get Stupes rather than Stoops on the sideline, then I'm done.

Will see if the staff is going to be held hostage by fear of losing kids on the roster that really didnt compete this year. No reason not to go into the portal and recruit over some of these guys and either force them out or have competition for them for playing time.
You got a better deal somewhere else? Let them take it. There are very few on this roster that have shown anything that would lead me to believe that that could command more $$$ and playing time at a powerhouse school. Outside of Walker, M. Cox, couple others everyone seems replaceable. I think thats the way you have to look at it.

They have to recruit to their culture, and upgrade some spots. Thats roster and staff. I think both coordinators can stay if you do that. Rare that a coordinator reaches that level without being any good. More often they are sacrificed. No need to do that at UK yet.

Next chapter starts now.

AU is coming after Vandergriff hard, have been pre Freeze. If Beck stays, which I am not sure he is, Vandergrift is likely gone, might be if Beck is gone. Good athlete, maybe better, has an awkward delivery and has been very average in sscrimmages. Good guy, good player just got caught behind a couple guys who ended up being pretty good too.

Thanks. Good to know we only have to wait till 2025 for a big year. Always expect to have to take the long view as a UK football fan.

Reactions: warrior_SW
So no staff changes or REAL offensive philosophy changes will be made? Sounds like a rinse and repeat .

Why do you even support UK football at this point? Already being negative about next year before this year is even over.

Watching the games this year it appears that a change in philosophy and coaching has resulted in the worst season in several years.

Constantly trying to throw deep balls with a qb that cannot hit them putting themselves in bad situations, being more risky on offense and going for it on fourth downs, etc.

Defense is still vanilla as can be I will give you that, but if stoops ran this team like a Benny snell team and his old stubborn self then it’s easily a 8 win regular season.

If the coaches are disappointed in the qb and receiver play and are looking to rehaul that as the main focus of the off season what more would you want?

Next chapter starts now.
Mitch doesn’t give you all the day after thanksgiving off? Sorry but I feel like this post is a major public relations write up and we will see a lot more like this over the next 6 months. I really do wonder sometimes if they have employees pop in here to put positive spin on things because they seem to have new users/people who do not post much (this guy has 3 posts?) then they won’t post again for 6 months.

Why do you even support UK football at this point? Already being negative about next year before this year is even over.

Watching the games this year it appears that a change in philosophy and coaching has resulted in the worst season in several years.

Constantly trying to throw deep balls with a qb that cannot hit them putting themselves in bad situations, being more risky on offense and going for it on fourth downs, etc.

Defense is still vanilla as can be I will give you that, but if stoops ran this team like a Benny snell team and his old stubborn self then it’s easily a 8 win regular season.

If the coaches are disappointed in the qb and receiver play and are looking to rehaul that as the main focus of the off season what more would you want?
I agree with some of the stuff you wrote because we ran a utterly stupid offensive scheme. Horrible play calling, horrible clock management, slow play with no sense of urgency about putting points on the scoreboard. We Ned an off that is designed to score enough points to keep us in games. And the BS days aren't coming back because BS & CR aren't walking through that door.

Reactions: Jont0805
I prefer a 3-4 defense, but it takes the right personnel or it is more liability than asset.

I do not like a bend don't break defense because they eventually break.

That said, even though I hate his philosophy, White has had some great defenses over his years here. The defense lost so much last year that they had no chance to replace it in one go. I think he deserves another year.

Coen is new so he needs a chance to adapt, and we can't continue to have a revolving door at the that spot or coordinators won't come here period.

Marrow isn't going anywhere.

Everyone else can gtfo. Not even kidding. This season has been a total SS.

In his defense, last year was supposed to be the mulligan. Stoops said after last year’s debacle of a season that he would get things right and yet this season is even worse. In fact, this makes three out of four seasons of crappy football.

Will the changes to position coaches all be on the offensive side or should we expect to see the departure of position coaches in defense as well?

Obviously, Yenser and Woodward should be gone. Yenser's unit has improved a little from last year but is still nowhere near where it needs to be. Woodward's unit is the sorriest of them all, IMO. Send them packing and get some guys who can coach, recruit and instill discipline. We need some stud taskmasters, not coddlers!

But if you ask me, I think we need to replace at least as many position coaches on the defensive side. Our secondary has been going downhill for the past few years and is now pure garbage. This used to be a position of strength for this team. So do Collins and/or Buffano need to say bye bye too?

I can't say I am too high on Anwar Stewart either. Though I don't consider him terrible, I don't consider him great either. Our DL just hasn't performed as well as it should have on many occasions and Stewart gives us basically nothing on the recruiting trail. Surely we can find someone who can better develop players and/or recruit. So I wouldn't be disappointed if a change was made at this position.

Will the changes to position coaches all be on the offensive side or should we expect to see the departure of position coaches in defense as well?

Obviously, Yenser and Woodward should be gone. Yenser's unit has improved a little from last year but is still nowhere near where it needs to be. Woodward's unit is the sorriest of them all, IMO. Send them packing and get some guys who can coach, recruit and instill discipline. We need some stud taskmasters, not coddlers!

But if you ask me, I think we need to replace at least as many position coaches on the defensive side. Our secondary has been going downhill for the past few years and is now pure garbage. This used to be a position of strength for this team. So do Collins and/or Buffano need to say bye bye too?

I can't say I am too high on Anwar Stewart either. Though I don't consider him terrible, I don't consider him great either. Our DL just hasn't performed as well as it should have on many occasions and Stewart gives us basically nothing on the recruiting trail. Surely we can find someone who can better develop players and/or recruit. So I wouldn't be disappointed if a change was made at this position.
Agree. They’ll csn Yenser for sure and probably Woody….id argue a Buffano firing is as valid..but

1. Coen alone is a talent but Stoops need to make him adjust a ton. The throwing to Barion so much was blatant and dumb. Also Yenser and Woody are Coen guys….so if Coen csnt get his coaches to perform….then it puts more pressure on Stoops decision making..which ain’t the best case

2. Is struggle to fire defense side guys…thjs is how coach stoops run his side. A lot of 3 man rush stop 8 ..not alot of attack. So if stoops and white are so passive…then why would I hammer a position coach

Reactions: yoshukai

Next chapter starts now.
Who is Rogers?

In his defense, last year was supposed to be the mulligan. Stoops said after last year’s debacle of a season that he would get things right and yet this season is even worse. In fact, this makes three out of four seasons of crappy football.

I can see that, but it seems like they keep trying to be main stream and modern and keep getting worse.

Should have realized in pre season that Leary cannot throw a ball farther than 15 yards and adjusted the offense accordingly.

If they used brown to get the safeties deep and threw underneath to the tight end or receivers prob would have a great offense.

instead brown runs wide open 2-3 times a game just to be overthrown.

Next chapter starts now.
Do it then talk about it. Sorry but my faith in this group is waning with every passing day. This sounds more like a veiled attempt to appease the fans. The base is pissed off so whisper something out there they want to hear. You talk about guys at other schools not getting their touches? Where they think they gonna get them here. 50 plays a game, 25-30 are run, leaves 20-25 passing plays, 3 wide receivers, tight end so there’s maybe 4-5 opportunities in the whole game. We will do good to hold onto what we have now. I expect 10-15 players to hit the portal as early as next week.

And if they do?

There are very few on this team that are contributors. Prob around 10

Defense
Silver
Walker
The LBs
Maxwell
Maybe 1-2 more DBs
Maybe 1-2 more DL

Offense
Who do you want to draw battle lines on?

OL prob 2?
WRs TBD. Maybe 2?

Reactions: Ky grandpa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT