ADVERTISEMENT

CATS vs Cards ( Tues. )....

CloverforkCat

Junior
Jun 3, 2013
UK faces arch rival UofL @ Jim Patterson stadium today @ 6:00 pm. Cats are sending lefty Logan Salow to the mound against the # 3 ranked Cards.
Uk comes in with a record of 25-17 and 10-10 in SEC play, having won 5 of their last 6 conference games. UofL is 34-10 overall and a mind boggling 19-2 in ACC play.
A win on the road against yet another top 5 team would be huge, and would be a momentum builder towards the Vanderbilt series this weekend !

Our inability to find a solid midweek pitcher is just amazing. I mean, we don't have a single guy with over 3 starts. Usually there is a pitcher with in the freshman class that steps up, but this year we've had no one. Zach Pop is supposed to be the prize of the freshman class, but he's only thrown 11 innings so far, and has started two games. I thought we had a relatively poor recruiting class last year and I think it is really showing in the bullpen and midweek. This UL game is going to be rough for us, but we've proven to be pretty solid lately on the road, with series wins over LSU and Florida. Still, Louisville will put Leland on the mound and his era is 1.04 (as a team it is only 2.33). Hits and runs are going to be at a premium for UK. We need to take advantage. However, Louisville, if they have struggled anywhere, it has been in the midweek. They want to usually use Leland on the weekend and try to have Kidston or Henzman on the midweek, but Henzman had a bad outing against WKU and Kidston has struggled this year, so they will go with a weekend-type arm against us.

or 5 inning
Our inability to find a solid midweek pitcher is just amazing. I mean, we don't have a single guy with over 3 starts. Usually there is a pitcher with in the freshman class that steps up, but this year we've had no one. Zach Pop is supposed to be the prize of the freshman class, but he's only thrown 11 innings so far, and has started two games. I thought we had a relatively poor recruiting class last year and I think it is really showing in the bullpen and midweek. This UL game is going to be rough for us, but we've proven to be pretty solid lately on the road, with series wins over LSU and Florida. Still, Louisville will put Leland on the mound and his era is 1.04 (as a team it is only 2.33). Hits and runs are going to be at a premium for UK. We need to take advantage. However, Louisville, if they have struggled anywhere, it has been in the midweek. They want to usually use Leland on the weekend and try to have Kidston or Henzman on the midweek, but Henzman had a bad outing against WKU and Kidston has struggled this year, so they will go with a weekend-type arm against us.

Yes, we have struggled in the mid-week, hopefully Salow can throw well for 4 or 5 innings, and we can get maybe Strecker, Logue, and maybe Jack to finish it up.
Our incoming class hasn't been what we have had in the past, but Evan White has been teriffic from day 1, Mahan has helped, and Logue has been pretty good. UofL is a strong bunch and a win over them either today or next week in Lex. would he a solid resume builder.

Well we are up 1-0 fairly early in this one, just the top of the 4th. Pretty good start I suppose. Louisville, of course, wearing their goofy looking uniforms.

The inning where we scored could actually be costly...already played a run, had 2 on and no out for K Tom. 3 consecutive fly outs to CF.

Hope that doesn't end up hurting them, but huge opportunity blown.

Salow went 3 innings without giving up a hit. Not too bad. Still 1-0 going to the bottom of the 5th.

Dwyer is dealing right now. We're going to the top of the 9th inning with UK still up 1-0. Would love a big time inning to pad this lead.

Cats ran themselves out of a possible big inning. Hairston got a single and then Wilson was walked on 4 straight. Hairston then tried to steal third on a wild pitch, but the ball didn't go far from the catcher and he got thrown out. Bernal took one off the forearm to put runners on second and first again, but Fettes grounded out weakly to third to end the threat.

As a side note, pretty crazy Hairston's younger brother is starting at SS for Louisville.

Dwyer walks the first batter in the 9th and Strecker comes on to close this one out. Hopefully this isn't a scary 9th.

Well Henderson decided just to do a matchup with Strecker and he'll now go to Spencer Jack. Louisville bunted the runner over to second. Now the Cards have a runner on 2nd with 1 out.

Louisville steals third and then a single into right scores the tying run. :mad:

horrible coaching there. why would you play so deep in right with man on second? why would you stay with guy who had not went over 4 innings in over a year. wtf!!!!

Are we stupid? Did we really just get into a rundown at second base with the lead runner? All we had to do was tag second and get the out. Possibly threw away a double play opportunity to get into a freaking rundown with a force play on. Just amazing.

I actually feel sorry for Henderson.......we need one deadly hitter.....to bad....maybe we'll pull it out next inning.....if we reach it.....play there hearts out and just possibly give it away:(

Louisville steals another base. Seems like Fettes has an extremely slow throw to second. Just takes forever to get the ball out of his hand.

UK gets out of the inning and we go to extras. Terrible execution in the bottom of the 9th, and a bit of bad coaching, but that I suppose is to be expected.

We are fornaute to get to extras, Logue got us out of it. Why did he remove Strecker, Jack is snakebit this year !

Fettes pop time is terrible, it seems. Right fielder was in proper position...you don't play shallow, allow a double and have winning run on 2nd/3rd w/1 out. The double play attempt was also properly played, by runner and by Shelby.

Louisville showing that they want this one in the top of the 10th by going to Nick Burdi here. Looking for him to shut down 9, 1, 2 and get to the bottom half to get a win.

That was pitiful managing in the 9th. I knew when he brought in Jack they were in trouble. He just can't manage baseball

Fettes pop time is terrible, it seems. Right fielder was in proper position...you don't play shallow, allow a double and have winning run on 2nd/3rd w/1 out. The double play attempt was also properly played, by runner and by Shelby.

Please explain how that is right? He would have been right to try for an immediate tag, but to chase the runner back and then throw behind the runner when you only had to tag second was not a smart play.

Please explain how that is right? He would have been right to try for an immediate tag, but to chase the runner back and then throw behind the runner when you only had to tag second was not a smart play.
He's not turning a conventional dp w/ray running. You go for the tag, UL guy properly retreated so Shelby tried for the force out knowing they have the other guy caught up. UL guys are just well coached, Ray sprinted and other guy stopped.

The coaching error in this game was the 4th. 2 on and no outs and do not manufacture another run. Embarrassing knowing runs would be at a premium.

Well, a one out error by either Mahan or White gives Louisville an extra base. Now they have a runner on second with that one out and UK is going to the the pen again. This time it is Robert Zeigler.

Reactions: Geckoman
Also, the ball was not hit hard. Usually if u have to charge in that situation a dp is unlikely w/fast runner unless u can get that quick tag.

Fat L. I wouldn't have expected them to win because they suck midweek, but they blew it. Players and coaches alike.

He's not turning a conventional dp w/ray running. You go for the tag, UL guy properly retreated so Shelby tried for the force out knowing they have the other guy caught up. UL guys are just well coached, Ray sprinted and other guy stopped.

The coaching error in this game was the 4th. 2 on and no outs and do not manufacture another run. Embarrassing knowing runs would be at a premium.

To go for the initial tag is fine. Nothing wrong with that. However, once the runner retreated Shelby should have thrown the ball on to second. Instead, he chased him back to first and risked a throw to first and then a throw to second. I have no idea what "other guy" you're talking about. The only person on base was on first. So there was just two possible outs. A force at second and a force at first. We made the play much harder than it had to be.

Well, when Zeigler came in who else knew that was the game. We have some pitchers on this team who are better suited for NAIA baseball. Hats off to Salow, Dwyer, and Logue for pitching their arses off to no avail.
If Hendo hasn't figured out that lefties are the way to go against the birds next week at home, then he is truly a 24 karat dufus.

Gotta give HUGE props to Dwyer and Salow tonight. Pitched outstanding games.

And, I have never been a big fan of Henderson's revolving door bullpen. Find a guy that is working and stick with him. Putting in someone with an ERA above 7 is not going to help you win the game with one out and a runner on second.

Cats lose 5th midweek game in last 6 midweek tilts. I know Louisville is very good, but that's a really bad stat for an SEC team. Unlike many of UK's losses, the Cats got great pitching until the 9th, and their offense missed opportunities and didn't produce runs, base running miscues, and defensive miscues late. With Vandy's pitching staff coming to town, UK's offense better wake up in a hurry or the Dores will be breaking brooms out. Come on, Cats, keep the positive momentum going from the series win over UF.

To go for the initial tag is fine. Nothing wrong with that. However, once the runner retreated Shelby should have thrown the ball on to second. Instead, he chased him back to first and risked a throw to first and then a throw to second. I have no idea what "other guy" you're talking about. The only person on base was on first. So there was just two possible outs. A force at second and a force at first. We made the play much harder than it had to be.

It was handled correctly, he just waited a split second too long to make the throw to first. Had he gotten it there 1/4 step earlier, it was a double play. If he had immediately gone to second for the force, they have no chance at a double play with Ray's speed.

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
Cats blow huge opportunity to get big mid-week win on the road against UL, #3 team in nation.

Two wasted opportunities to extend the lead to two runs. When you fail to take advantage of opportunities when the present themselves, particularly against good teams, that is usually a recipe for getting beat. That's what happened tonight.

First, the Cats should have been up 2-0 going into bottom of the 9th.

Second, poor execution allows UL to get runner into scoring position in the bottom of the 9th.

Third, while the UK pitchers did great tonight, I continue to not understand Henderson's management of his pitching staff.

Opportunity lost ... loss.

why would you

well if I plated 1 run in 9 innings against a team with bullpen era 1.2 and 14 and 0 top ten team I play to win and play close enough to throw out runner at home, would have been at least an outand good chance at dp the way Lou runs. this aint mlb its a game against a rival and they had it won.

Other guy was runner on first, just didn't know his name.

He threw to first to try to get the double play that way, and almost did. No reason to take the easy force at 2nd when you can try to get the dp 4-3-6.

They are big boys and capable of that.

Throw to 2nd for the force and they had no shot at dp, the way he played it he had a chance for 2. Shelby was put in the situation most 1bs have to deal with regarding dps, touch the base and throw to 2nd or get lead runner and try it that way. Shelby played it right IMO - riskier but a large reward. Oh well, they lost anyways

Reactions: Comebakatz3
It was handled correctly, he just waited a split second too long to make the throw to first. Had he gotten it there 1/4 step earlier, it was a double play. If he had immediately gone to second for the force, they have no chance at a double play with Ray's speed.

I see your point. You want to get the guy between second and first hung up to get that double play. That is fine. I suppose they did execute it in the best fashion. Somewhat risky considering that if you don't get your guy at second then you leave the go ahead run at second.

Seems like you could have gotten it easier with moving the ball, which is much faster than running towards a runner, but I see the point of the play.

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT