ADVERTISEMENT

CATS vs Cards ( Tues. )....

Shelby waited too long to transfer the ball to his throwing hand and when he went to first it was too late. he tried to make the play but waited too long poor execution.

why would you

well if I plated 1 run in 9 innings against a team with bullpen era 1.2 and 14 and 0 top ten team I play to win and play close enough to throw out runner at home, would have been at least an outand good chance at dp the way Lou runs. this aint mlb its a game against a rival and they had it won.
You don't concede a double with the lead. Tie game, you are right. If you play in, you take away the chance the rf has to throw runner out on a routine fly because he has to backtrack to catch it, and not catch it on the move in.

I'm all in on a bunch of Henderson criticisms, I just don't see this one.

Other guy was runner on first, just didn't know his name.

He threw to first to try to get the double play that way, and almost did. No reason to take the easy force at 2nd when you can try to get the dp 4-3-6.

They are big boys and capable of that.

Throw to 2nd for the force and they had no shot at dp, the way he played it he had a chance for 2. Shelby was put in the situation most 1bs have to deal with regarding dps, touch the base and throw to 2nd or get lead runner and try it that way. Shelby played it right IMO - riskier but a large reward. Oh well, they lost anyways

With the speed U of L has, you have no chance at the DP. Just take the 4-3 FC there and get to the next batter. My question is why didn't he IBB in the 10th with 1st base open? It's beyond me

With the speed U of L has, you have no chance at the DP. Just take the 4-3 FC there and get to the next batter. My question is why didn't he IBB in the 10th with 1st base open? It's beyond me
I think the dp attempt was right, bc as you saw they thought they completed the play.

As far as the intentional walk, I am totally with u to set up the dp, unless the next batter was Miguel Cabrera (don't know who it was, still think I would've walked him)

I thought about the double play as well. I personally would have walked the next batter and stayed with logue. He was throwing ground ball outs.

Is that the normal pop time for Fettes? That 9th inning attempt looked awful...have seen better 15 yr old pop times.

I am not sure what his normal pop top, but the one in the 9th was the worst thing I have ever seen. It looked as though he stood up, stepped to the side, and then threw the ball. Definitely was not one fluid motion and was not fast at all. I suppose to give you an indication on how bad our catcher are defensively we can compare them to the rest of the rest of the SEC. Before tonight there have been 39 bases stolen against us and 12 caught. That is a percentage of 76.5. That, if I am not mistaken, puts us at second to last in the SEC behind only Missouri. Fettes has had 19 base stolen against him and 6 times he has caught someone. Arnold is 20 and 5. So, neither look to do great at keeping people from running.

Well he is no Mike Piazza at the plate, therefore unacceptable.

Any single is an extra base hit for anyone with decent legs against that behind the plate.

I thought about the double play as well. I personally would have walked the next batter and stayed with logue. He was throwing ground ball outs.
THIS THIS THIS, 1000 Times THIS.

Not setting up the double play there is awful managing. I can honestly not think of a good reason not to walk that batter. Set it up to have 1 ground ball get you out of danger. Instead, we had to get 2 outs. Regardless of the outcome, that was a bizarre decision.

Serious question - is Henderson in any hot seat talk? Think UK BBall has not gotten over the hump.

^^ Nope, doubtful that he is on the hot seat. Barnhart seems to be content o just allow him to occasionally make the NCAA tournament without actually getting over the hump of having good teams. Again, Louisville should be proof that a team in this state can compete on the national level and UK should be striving to be even better than we are rather than settling for mediocre. Hopefully Barnhart realizes this sooner rather than later.

Henderson is really highly thought of in college baseball, hence why he was just named as the pitching coach for one of the USA teams. 2012 was one of the best years in school history but still wasn't able to advance past the NCAA regionals. I'm on the fence about him, but there's bigger issues than Henderson with UK baseball.

Anyone that has spent any time at Cliff Hagan Stadium knows that UK is severely lacking in facilities compared to the teams that its competing against. I would go as far to say it's embarrassing what UK has compared to other SEC teams. Jim Patterson Stadium in Louisville is 1000X the place that Cliff Hagan Stadium is. I haven't seen Western Kentucky's stadium, but if it was built within the last 15 years then I would guarantee it's better than UK's facilities.

Honestly, I'm not convinced UK can hire anyone better than Henderson with the current setup.

I thought highly of him when he came here and thought highly of him when he was named head coach, but the results on the field are not enough to really make me believe he is a great long term answer for our team. Yes, 2012 was a very good year and I believe we had a chance to win the SEC and probably host a regional, but instead we got swept by MSU. It was also one of the only years you can point to where UK actually had a solid complete pitching staff. Pointing to just one good year, where we were still unable to get to a Super Regional, is not enough for me to warrant him continuing to be our head coach. I know some past players have an extreme dislike for him and think he is incompetent. I think he has had more than enough talent over his time here to put together better teams and better pitching staffs, but he has been unable to do so.

I agree we need facility upgrades, without a doubt.

The facility upgrades argument would be solid if it weren't for Henderson signing good classes.

Obviously they need the upgrades, and maybe it could help landing a few more players...but his recruiting has been pretty damn solid - and that's where the facilities usually help most.

Guess I would like to know what kind of indoor facility they have to use in the offseason/rain/snow...if they don't have something like that, maybe he does deserve some slack. (Especially being the northern most SEC team.)

They do have an indoor facility. This year the first game was the first time we were able to practice/play outside. I think thay facility is fairly new but I'm not sure about that.

I thought highly of him when he came here and thought highly of him when he was named head coach, but the results on the field are not enough to really make me believe he is a great long term answer for our team. Yes, 2012 was a very good year and I believe we had a chance to win the SEC and probably host a regional, but instead we got swept by MSU. It was also one of the only years you can point to where UK actually had a solid complete pitching staff. Pointing to just one good year, where we were still unable to get to a Super Regional, is not enough for me to warrant him continuing to be our head coach. I know some past players have an extreme dislike for him and think he is incompetent. I think he has had more than enough talent over his time here to put together better teams and better pitching staffs, but he has been unable to do so.

I agree we need facility upgrades, without a doubt.
Do you guys not remember that the Nutter is designed so that the baseball team can also workout there?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT