ADVERTISEMENT

Johnell Davis

Hart was doing pretty damn well getting all those five stars to play for the overtime or ignite or whatever it was. Seems like it’s closer than you believe. Check all the kids who choose to play for him and that organization over college basketball. I think I’d take a Scoot Henderson and every single guy who chose to go there. Of course Kentucky got some damn great players as well but it’s not night and day difference or whatever you’re thinking. Also, I’d think most Kentucky kids chose to play for Cal and not just Orlando. I to wouldn’t care to have kept him but I’m happy as can be with Hart.
Come on man. Hart wasn’t recruiting kids to play for Ignite like Orlando was recruiting kids to play at UK. The ones that played for Ignite were the ones who wanted nothing to do with school and wanted to get paid. Ignite was their only real option unless they wanted to go overseas.

We are not whiffing. Grow up.
Really? What would you call it? Williams is the one and only top target Pope has gotten. Perry and Chandler were already committed to UK or Pope. Nearly every other top target has either committed elsewhere or leaning elsewhere. We are probably going to have a roster full of 3rd and 4th choices next year. That doesn’t exactly bode well for Pope and his future here. He desperately needs his first year to be good or he will never get any good players in here.

Really? What would you call it? Williams is the one and only top target Pope has gotten. Perry and Chandler were already committed to UK or Pope. Nearly every other top target has either committed elsewhere or leaning elsewhere. We are probably going to have a roster full of 3rd and 4th choices next year. That doesn’t exactly bode well for Pope and his future here. He desperately needs his first year to be good or he will never get any good players in here.
I'm terrified about our guard play next year. I hate the idea of bringing in a 3rd or 4th or "what's left" option. I rather just get all the 6'7 and above athletic roster we can that can shoot decent and let Travis Perry start point.

Reactions: Warf2012
I'm terrified about our guard play next year. I hate the idea of bringing in a 3rd or 4th or "what's left" option. I rather just get all the 6'7 and above athletic roster we can that can shoot decent and let Travis Perry start point.
Sadly I agree. I mean, damn, the entire staff just flew cross country to go all in on a PG who shot 30% from 3 and 59% on free throws last year while averaging 9ppg and 3apg. Wtf are we doing here? If that’s our starting pg then we are looking at the bubble and the NIT.

And before anyone says “well he started on a final four team”, yeah and that team had a bunch of quality talent around him so his deficiencies weren’t as glaring. It’s not looking like we will have that here.

At this point I wouldnt be shocked to hear they’re looking at Devin Askew.

Would love to have Davis, but if he chooses Arkansas...it is what it is. Interesting reading Arkansas fan comments. They're feelin it...can't blame em. Exciting and uncertain time for both teams. It's possible(not probable) Arky wins the title this year...in recruiting. We got a lot of those the past 15 years....good times :rolleyes:

Exactly. He never would have recruited him here. Spot was given/promised to HS school kids. Cal is going to be forced to take portal guys unlike he was here.
He’s got a new mission now. Beat Kentucky. You are exactly right. He never would have taken him here. He always said” if your first question is how much, go somewhere else. Jonells only question was how much. He still has Brad as a bench coach tho. Lol Can you imagine being pulled along on daddy’s coattails with a. Earned Not Given tattoo across your chest??

This is an all-time silly comment. Christ

This is an all-time silly comment. Christ
What part of the post was silly? I’m just stating facts. I know nobody here wants to hear it but it’s true. His first year will critical to how he’s able to recruit moving forward. Right now he’s selling players on a dream and how they will play but if players don’t see results they won’t come here. Plus it seems like pope isn’t willing to get in a bidding war for anyone so we won’t be outbidding anyone either.

Sadly I agree. I mean, damn, the entire staff just flew cross country to go all in on a PG who shot 30% from 3 and 59% on free throws last year while averaging 9ppg and 3apg. Wtf are we doing here? If that’s our starting pg then we are looking at the bubble and the NIT.

And before anyone says “well he started on a final four team”, yeah and that team had a bunch of quality talent around him so his deficiencies weren’t as glaring. It’s not looking like we will have that here.

🤣

Reactions: TM2013
UK was in on all 3( Williams, Butler & oweh) as soon as they hit the portal…seems like top targets to me. The best 3 defenders in the portal but not to consider them top targets is dumb.

What part of the post was silly? I’m just stating facts. I know nobody here wants to hear it but it’s true. His first year will critical to how he’s able to recruit moving forward. Right now he’s selling players on a dream and how they will play but if players don’t see results they won’t come here. Plus it seems like pope isn’t willing to get in a bidding war for anyone so we won’t be outbidding anyone either.
He hasn't coached a game and took over in April. He had to build the team from the ground up, coaches and players. His first year is a pass if it isn't great. Where's the evidence Pope isn't getting into bidding wars for every recruit?

First off, How do you know what he is selling recruits on? Have you been part of the conversations? Or are you part of the staff? How do you know he is recruiting players just like he had at BYU? How do you know what is best for this team/coaching staff? I am guessing you have been a coach of a power 5 and have won/lost recruits and such. How can any of us act like we know what is being sold to these kids.

Maybe Pope is trying to get a team in more of the mold of 1996. A team that could play great defense. A team that only had 1 or 2 guys that could really hit from outside on a consistent basis. A team that melded together with not many multi year pro's on the team.

Maybe he is going to play like Tony Bennet at Virginia. Heck no one knows. That is the laughable part.

Let the staff do their job. Get in the guys that get in.

Then look at the complete team, heck maybe since the assistant from BYU has had success getting players from overseas we get someone in June from Europe/china or something like that. Who the heck knows.

Once they are done, maybe Pope will give us a 10 minutes blurb on what he has built for year 1 of his tenure.

Then have a great summer, get ready for Stoops Troops and the Olympics and finally in the fall we will start to hear some things. If Pope truly has open practices like he did at BYU we will have all kinds of reports before the first tip.

Everything including my post here is pure opinion. Fun to discuss but by no means should we think we are the end all know all what is best for UK under Pope, he is the one that will do the work and either answer for or reap the benefits.
Peace Out.

You're too impatient for this. Log off for a couple of weeks. Then log back on.
It will get better.

Last edited:
First off, How do you know what he is selling recruits on? Have you been part of the conversations? Or are you part of the staff? How do you know he is recruiting players just like he had at BYU? How do you know what is best for this team/coaching staff? I am guessing you have been a coach of a power 5 and have won/lost recruits and such. How can any of us act like we know what is being sold to these kids.

Maybe Pope is trying to get a team in more of the mold of 1996. A team that could play great defense. A team that only had 1 or 2 guys that could really hit from outside on a consistent basis. A team that melded together with not many multi year pro's on the team.

Maybe he is going to play like Tony Bennet at Virginia. Heck no one knows. That is the laughable part.

Let the staff do their job. Get in the guys that get in.

Then look at the complete team, heck maybe since the assistant from BYU has had success getting players from overseas we get someone in June from Europe/china or something like that. Who the heck knows.

Once they are done, maybe Pope will give us a 10 minutes blurb on what he has built for year 1 of his tenure.

Then have a great summer, get ready for Stoops Troops and the Olympics and finally in the fall we will start to hear some things. If Pope truly has open practices like he did at BYU we will have all kinds of reports before the first tip.

Everything including my post here is pure opinion. Fun to discuss but by no means should we think we are the end all know all what is best for UK under Pope, he is the one that will do the work and either answer for or reap the benefits.
Peace Out.
I don't recall the 96 team the same way.
I remember more like nine pros and like six guys that hit 35% and up from three, with Mercer just behind but trending toward reliable as the year went on.

98 is closer to the described but still not quite because really pretty much everyone that wasn't a center or named Turner was at least a fair to middling outside shooter.

I don't recall the 96 team the same way.
I remember more like nine pros and like six guys that hit 35% and up from three, with Mercer just behind but trending toward reliable as the year went on.

98 is closer to the described but still not quite because really pretty much everyone that wasn't a center or named Turner was at least a fair to middling outside shooter.
Go back to the stats page, scroll down to individual year stats.
Delk took a little under 6 attempts per game for the year, Epps was next closest at 2.9 attempts, all others were under 2 attempts a game. 1st in steals team stats, 1st in assists and 3rd in rebounds.

Those players shot good % due to taking good shots, same for the 2 guards we have so far. Pope was one of the better 3 pt shooters.

Besides walker on that team, who had a long and great or even good NBA career?

You do realize that Perry and Chandler could have chosen to go elsewhere. They are recruits.

Go back to the stats page, scroll down to individual year stats.
Delk took a little under 6 attempts per game for the year, Epps was next closest at 2.9 attempts, all others were under 2 attempts a game. 1st in steals team stats, 1st in assists and 3rd in rebounds.

Those players shot good % due to taking good shots, same for the 2 guards we have so far. Pope was one of the better 3 pt shooters.

Besides walker on that team, who had a long and great or even good NBA career?
I don't see how you would fairly look at it from hindsight.

Certainly at the time there were high draft picks and guys that would get opportunities on the team and regardless of them getting quality shots they made them at a good clip.
There aren't going to be a ton of squads with a bunch of guys making them at a high clip and a large amount of attempts competing for championships.

I had no issues with guys like DA, Big Walt, Shep, Pope, or even Mercer taking shots it didn't have to be Tony Delk he was just the ace.

I remember the season fairly well, even viscerally so I don't need the stats so much.

I don't see how you would fairly look at it from hindsight.

Certainly at the time there were high draft picks and guys that would get opportunities on the team and regardless of them getting quality shots they made them at a good clip.
There aren't going to be a ton of squads with a bunch of guys making them at a high clip and a large amount of attempts competing for championships.

I had no issues with guys like DA, Big Walt, Shep, Pope, or even Mercer taking shots it didn't have to be Tony Delk he was just the ace.

I remember the season fairly well, even viscerally so I don't need the stats so much.
Me either. I went to almost every home game and several on the road, went to regional and such. Great Great team, one of my favorites to ever play. My favorite was probably 1975 that lost to UCLA -wooden last game. 1978 team was all business and Jack had the best championship game of all time. 1998 team was also one of my favorites (I do not think Pitino could have won the championship with that team). 2012 was fun team but i dislike Cal from day 1 of his time at UK and stopped going to games and such during his tenure. Great ambassador, great recruiter, could not take his lying all the time, his way he was with the fans and frankly he is a plain awful in game coach.
When I say Pope might (I know Pope personally but am not close to him at all), Might try to make a team like 1996, I do not mean getting guys just like those but emulating the type of guys and maybe trying to emulate how they played. If Pope gets one or maybe 2 other shooters he will have that type of team if Carr and Osobor come along with what we have.

Jack and I discussed what he thinks pope is trying to do and his thoughts are different than mine. But neither think we will play like BYU in 2024-25.

Reactions: Bluegrassking

Once you begin to really start to understand basketball you will realize that all good to great teams have players with different skill sets that mix together to form great chemistry and a distinctive style of play.

Oh no barf the Calipari lover strikes again.
I really don’t like this line of thinking that seems to be prevalent on the board right now.

There are a few people on the board who have wanted sleazy Cal gone more than me. Had I not been banned and had this restart, you would see that.

So please do not continue to think that people who are unhappy with the guards that we are bringing in are just being anti-Pope or pro-Cal.

No, some of us are just trying to look at each of these players objectively and then giving our opinion. And it has nothing to do with CCC.

Reactions: Warf2012
GTFO clown

You look really silly and stupid now, don't you.

Maybe you should create a new troll account now that you've lost all credibility.

Quick! Create a new account and embarrass yourself with that one too, silly clown boy! 🤣 😅

Your posts were silly before Carr’s commitment. Pope was hired 2-3 weeks ago and has recruited at this level or with these kinds of recourses before. And he’s still doing a good job, especially now that he has a full staff and a great recruiter in Brooks.

His 6 man roster now would probably make a better starting 5 than he ever had at BYU from a talent and experience perspective. And he’s not done yet. I expect Robinson to join his old coach at UK until he signs with another school or misses the deadline to pull out of the draft. I also expect at least 2 and very possibly 3 out of the 4 based on what we’ve heard so far:

Davis
Brea
Mahaney
Small

There are also players who haven’t entered the portal yet. There also rumors of some players who might reclass and join UK early, and Pope may decide to look abroad. But I do believe we will finish our top 7-8 man rotation recruiting before we start getting reclasses or guys from abroad. No source to back that up, just a hunch.

But log on to another site. You and about 30 others who just started posting when Cal left are cluttering up this board and you are only here to troll and start arguments. Please get out.
Woodsmoke has been here since before I joined and I joined the posting community about 14 years ago. I don’t think I’ve ever gone 1 on 1 with him in a debate or discussion but I remember his handle. I’d you ever doubt when someone joined just click on their profile.

Reactions: TM2013
UK was in on all 3( Williams, Butler & oweh) as soon as they hit the portal…seems like top targets to me. The best 3 defenders in the portal but not to consider them top targets is dumb.
Lol Roach was their top pg target and don’t even try to say he wasn’t. And of course they contacted all 3 as soon as they hit the portal. They’ve contacted every other kid who’s hit the portal.

He hasn't coached a game and took over in April. He had to build the team from the ground up, coaches and players. His first year is a pass if it isn't great. Where's the evidence Pope isn't getting into bidding wars for every recruit?
Every player who has reportedly wanted a bunch of money or tried to up the bidding has been turned away. Mahaney was the latest. He came back to UK wanting them to match or beat UConns offer and Pope wouldn’t.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT