ADVERTISEMENT

Cats have to take advantage of schedule

UK has 8 home games and 3 winnable road games. I do not see UKs schedule as tough as some of the other posters on this board. If I had to pick six that the Cats was most likely to win they would be ULL, Eastern, Vandy, MSU, UNCC, and UofL. I put Florida, USC, and Missouri in the good chance of getting a win category. Auburn, Georgia, and UT would be in my unlikey win category I do not see this as a killer schedule. I actually think this is about as good a schedule as you can hope to get when you play in the SEC

Tennessee toss up?

We return 18 from a team that destroyed UK. Top 5 recruiting class with 4 5* impact players and a crap load of 4*. Possibly best DE in league in Barnett and top 10 in Maggitt.

Preseason favorite for best QB in East in Dobbs.

In 2006, LSU beat us 49-0. The following year with the same squad but a year older we beat the #1 Tigers and eventual National Champions. Of course, I am not comparing our team to the 2007 team until they do something to earn it. With that said, UT isn't even remotely as good as LSU was in 2007.

I predict Towles will outplay Dobbs this year. Come Halloween night think of me when we beat you.

We will be putting the same personnel on the field at cornerback while also losing our two best pass rushers. Think about that combo for a minute. We're now gonna be asking Tiller, Harmon, Quinn to cover even longer. That should go well.

I just don't see anyway in the world the defense can be worse than it was last year. Even though we had Dupree and Smith, we never really utilized them like we should've, so I honestly don't think that's going to be the loss that many think it'll be.

Stoops isn't a dumb guy. I'm sure he knows that the defense has to improve and improve significantly or else it won't matter how good the offense is.

I expect to see a significantly improved defense this year, mainly because we're going to have better talent, depth, strength, speed and experience for the defense on the whole. I think adding Buh as outside LB coach will help as well.

Because they have done zero opposition research - they are going on last year's team and the quarterback and not looking at anything else. The exception is thinking this is a let down game for Kentucky, and although it could be, I don't see it.

Because they have done zero opposition research - they are going on last year's team and the quarterback and not looking at anything else. The exception is thinking this is a let down game for Kentucky, and although it could be, I don't see it.
With most pundits that is true. However, Phil Steele does do considerable "opposition research" and his pre-season Plus/Minus ratings have UK about a 12.5 'dawg to MSU (includes 4.5 home field advantage).

The "true" spread would be reflected in his Power Poll rating but he does not provide specific numbers in his magazine; only rankings. On that point, he has MSU ranked #38 and UK ranked #58. Now the "good" news's there may be much less disparity than those numbers suggest. UofL is ranked at #37 in same but per the Golden Nugget early line is only a 2.5 favorite in Lexington. More to the point is Steel's own Plus/Minus numbers have UofL less than a point favorite.

Personally, I don't see either UofL or MSU being the team they were last year but, IMO, they are unlikely to be as "bad" as some here seem to expect. Yes, I know, lots of personnel losses from last year. I can't speak to MSU but the Cards bring back some pretty good players on defense and adds a few highly regarded transfers. Their defense will likely be pretty good again but the offense will likely have the same problems (i.e., O-line play).

Peace

7-8 wins are within reason. So are 5-6. Net, don't get your panties in a wad over just 5.

IMO UK wins their 4 OOC games and beats Vandy. That is five wins. I see no reason the Cats couldn't get one or two more. Yes I am predicting right here and now that the Cats beat the Cards this year.

The loss of Parker alone was huge for the Cards . They were very beatable last year when he was out injured. Then you factor in the loss of 10 or so more other starters including the rest of their starting WR Corp and lots on defense and IMO this is going to be a much weaker Card team this year.

Yeah, I've heard about UT's "return to the glory days." With FOUR rape charges in three separate incidents plus a series of felony burglary arrests it sounds like you're already there. All's missing is a little academic fraud.
This gets right to the point. UT is back to being a sewer, so the revival is complete.

I have to admit I was wrong about UT. After looking deeper into their roster, I'm not sure UK will have much of a chance. Jones has them going strong and they are ahead of schedule. Still no way they win the East this year though.

I have to admit I was wrong about UT. After looking deeper into their roster, I'm not sure UK will have much of a chance. Jones has them going strong and they are ahead of schedule. Still no way they win the East this year though.

When/if Kentucky football ever turns the corner, it will be because a football team that was decent enough in the talent department won every game they SHOULD have and a few that were toss ups (or slight dogs). So how likely is it that 2015 is the year it happens? Is Kentucky better than they were in '14? Is the schedule more favorable?

I think it's reasonable to expect an improved Kentucky offense. I think/hope Dawson is an upgrade over Brown. The talent is certainly better (and more experienced). UK has a returning QB. If the OL stays healthy, the improvement could be significant. Defensively, UK can't be worse than they were in '14 (allowed 36 or more points in six of eight SEC games; didn't even force a punt against Georgia). While some are worried about the loss of Dupree and Smith, my biggest worry is corner. There's more depth there, but how much quality? So the defense, IMO anyway, won't be a helluva lot better than last year.

So if that's accurate, does this particular schedule have 7-8 wins on it? I think it might.

The Cats won five times last season. They were probably a dropped INT away from winning two others (Florida and Louisville). UK was also competitive in losses to Missouri and Mississippi State. So in 12 games, they gave themselves a shot nine times. I think this years schedule is much more friendly. A few thoughts;

*UK plays EIGHT home games...of those eight, only Auburn and maybe Tennessee figure to crack the preseason top 20. Florida, U of L, and Missouri won't be easy, but all three are extremely winnable.

*The schedule features only four road games. South Carolina and Vanderbilt won't enter the season with high expectations. Mississippi State lost a TON. Georgia looks to be the toughest game on the schedule.

Looking at that slate of games, it's about as friendly as it's ever going to get. Eight at home. Three winnable games on the road (as it looks right now anyway). Potentially ten winnable games overall.

This is probably my big blue bias speaking, but I think a 7-8 win season is VERY possible. IMO, the wheels would have to fall off for UK to finish with a losing record.

GBB!!!
Defense Defense Defense.....to turn the corner this a must regardless of offense. Defensive staff has to call and put kids in position to make plays. DJ Eliot in his 3rd year and must show something against the big boys....

When/if Kentucky football ever turns the corner, it will be because a football team that was decent enough in the talent department won every game they SHOULD have and a few that were toss ups (or slight dogs). So how likely is it that 2015 is the year it happens? Is Kentucky better than they were in '14? Is the schedule more favorable?

I think it's reasonable to expect an improved Kentucky offense. I think/hope Dawson is an upgrade over Brown. The talent is certainly better (and more experienced). UK has a returning QB. If the OL stays healthy, the improvement could be significant. Defensively, UK can't be worse than they were in '14 (allowed 36 or more points in six of eight SEC games; didn't even force a punt against Georgia). While some are worried about the loss of Dupree and Smith, my biggest worry is corner. There's more depth there, but how much quality? So the defense, IMO anyway, won't be a helluva lot better than last year.

So if that's accurate, does this particular schedule have 7-8 wins on it? I think it might.

The Cats won five times last season. They were probably a dropped INT away from winning two others (Florida and Louisville). UK was also competitive in losses to Missouri and Mississippi State. So in 12 games, they gave themselves a shot nine times. I think this years schedule is much more friendly. A few thoughts;

*UK plays EIGHT home games...of those eight, only Auburn and maybe Tennessee figure to crack the preseason top 20. Florida, U of L, and Missouri won't be easy, but all three are extremely winnable.

*The schedule features only four road games. South Carolina and Vanderbilt won't enter the season with high expectations. Mississippi State lost a TON. Georgia looks to be the toughest game on the schedule.

Looking at that slate of games, it's about as friendly as it's ever going to get. Eight at home. Three winnable games on the road (as it looks right now anyway). Potentially ten winnable games overall.

This is probably my big blue bias speaking, but I think a 7-8 win season is VERY possible. IMO, the wheels would have to fall off for UK to finish with a losing record.

GBB!!!

We was terrible against Missouri last year. I don't care what the score was we wasn't going to beat anyone that day. We were good for one half against Mississippi St. effectively. So I think your thinking is a bit flawed with these two.

I completely agree! Hopefully with a little more depth we will be able to win the 30-70 games! Missouri, Florida and South Carolina are (in my opinion program changing wins) that we HAVE to win to create momentum!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT