ADVERTISEMENT

Can Pope get players

You literally can't cuddle or have coffee at BYU

BYU is a private university owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, whose general membership has committed to not using alcohol, tobacco, coffee, or tea. Accordingly, no smoking or drinking of alcohol, coffee, or tea is permitted on the BYU campus, though other caffeinated beverages are allowed.
Dude...that's weird shit.

UConn's last two title teams have had 5/6 pro's. Hurley is a great coach but he isn't doing it with scraps.
What were they ranked out of high school? Not trying to make any kind of point, honest question. Were they already 5 stars or did he develop them?

Reactions: know1
Well that dude can definitely ball (and dunk). Come on over, Collin.

(although this feels a LOT like BCG kinds of players....)
Read this thread. We can't judge what his recruiting by what he has done at BYU that's like recruiting kids to another planet. He may still suck at it here but we have to give him a chance. He will walk in the gym with a UK pullover and a bag at UK.

Don’t get me wrong….i am not happy this evening and I’m shocked…but as I realize that he put together a top 25 team at a school that doesn’t allow you to drink tea and coffee…I must admit it intrigues me
I actually just laughed so hard at this I blew bourbon through my nose.

I mean read that again. A school that disallows COFFEE AND TEA. WTF is going on in Utah?? Yet down south in Moab you can drive Jeeps all over the place while drinking beer and run naked in the streets.

I actually just laughed so hard at this I blew bourbon through my nose.

I mean read that again. A school that disallows COFFEE AND TEA. WTF is going on in Utah?? Yet down south in Moab you can drive Jeeps all over the place while drinking beer and run naked in the streets.
Don't forget that in 2011, BYU was really good. They had Jimmer Fredette and their second best player was Brandon Davies. BYU suspended Davies for the NCAA Tournament after admitting to having sexual relations. Meanwhile, Calipari had a guy at Memphis who was the driver in a drive-by shooting play for him.

It comes down to this. Can he recruit high level players. Can he get elite portal players to come. We don’t have to be an NBA factory but you still have to get elite talent. Can he do that is the question. I guess we will see.
I think at this point until Mitch is gone we aren’t seeing but 2-3 elite talents walk through the doors.

Isn't that the guy who shit the bed in the tourney against Duquense?

Just looked up. He was 0-6 for zero pts and 2 rebs.
Don’t know. Did not see that game. 36% from three was annual % number. Sounds as bad as Reeves going 1-15 against Kansas State two years ago

My goodness, 1992 how many 5 stars did we have? Sure could of thought we had all of em. As famious as that battle was in history. Tough players guys, tough. That can shoot.

And here I thought the most crazy things about Mormons were underwear with combination locks 3.2 beer and 14 wives.

No coffee, no tea, no cuddling, no beards, no sexual relations, no form-fitting clothing, masturbation.

Then this, yet somehow Pope was able to recruit and coach players good enough to be "decent" in the Big 12:

zdAvSUl.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Anthony B
You literally can't cuddle or have coffee at BYU

BYU is a private university owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, whose general membership has committed to not using alcohol, tobacco, coffee, or tea. Accordingly, no smoking or drinking of alcohol, coffee, or tea is permitted on the BYU campus, though other caffeinated beverages are allowed.
Jim McMahon played at BYU. Enough said. There are plenty of guys that play/ed at the Y that aren't members of the LDS church. Those guidelines are for the general membership and NOBODY is forced to do anything. You have agency. It's guidelines You should also throw drug use in there. God forbide that anybody believes in abstaining from anything that's bad for you.

BYU is(were now) projected to be good this season by a lot of peaople.

And here I thought the most crazy things about Mormons were underwear with combination locks 3.2 beer and 14 wives.

No coffee, no tea, no cuddling, no beards, no sexual relations, no form-fitting clothing, masturbation.

Then this, yet somehow Pope was able to recruit and coach players good enough to be "decent" in the Big 12:

zdAvSUl.jpeg
Starting to think pastor Scott and the davidians are more sane of a hire then the boys following pope over here.

Jim McMahon played at BYU. Enough said. There are plenty of guys that play/ed at the Y that aren't members of the LDS church. Those guidelines are for the general membership and NOBODY is forced to do anything. You have agency. It's guidelines You should also throw drug use in there. God forbide that anybody believes in abstaining from anything that's bad for you.
Everyone at BYU member or non member agrees to abide by the same Honor Code from what I've read. I do think athletes are loosely enforced.

If pope is smart he builds a staff of assistants who can recruit. He seems the opposite of Cal in that his strength is X’s and O’s, so bring in some connected coaches who can get players from the portal and high school
Well he was considered for Oxford, so.

It comes down to this. Can he recruit high level players. Can he get elite portal players to come. We don’t have to be an NBA factory but you still have to get elite talent. Can he do that is the question. I guess we will see.
How many 5 stars started the National Championship game?

Well that dude can definitely ball (and dunk). Come on over, Collin.

(although this feels a LOT like BCG kinds of players....)
None of those BYU guys are coming and honestly I’m not sure I’d even want them. They went there for the school, not pope.

Reactions: jace2012
Mormons are insane. Are we certain Pope isn’t planning to carry all these rules over to Lexington? I need answers.
He could have chose to attend BYU out of HS but didn't.
Did dnt choose to go there when he left Washington either.
Played at 2 "secular" schools plus played several seasons in the NBA.
I'd say he understands basketball culture pretty well.
He knows things work different at UK.
If he was some complete Mormon zealot flake, he wouldn't have taken the job.

Can't have the same staff he had at BYU, but I bet he will. 😳

The ones that come in with great fanfare and leave after underperforming, no. The ones that we have all longed for, that play for a couple of years and graduate, yes. I’ve been done with 1 and done and recruiting titles. Go watch some film of his team this past year, you’ll like what you see. I deal with colleges and recruitments most every day. NIL is a huge deal-as long as someone ponies up the money, we’ll get the right players that fit his system.. and yes, it is a system no a glorified AAU team.

Reactions: CBBCrazy
If pope is smart he builds a staff of assistants who can recruit. He seems the opposite of Cal in that his strength is X’s and O’s, so bring in some connected coaches who can get players from the portal and high school
This!!!!
Pope will be successful here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT