ADVERTISEMENT

How does the addition of Wimsatt affect Allen?

23jumpboy

Senior
Jan 5, 2003
With the addition of Wimsatt where does this put Allen? Do the coaches not trust Allen as a number 2? Wimsatt's numbers don't translate to success through the air. ???

Last edited:
With the addition of Wimsatt where does this put Allen? Do the coaches not trust Allen as a number 2? Wimsatt's numbers don't translate to success through the air. ???
Again, this is a numbers game. UK was down to 3 QBs, really 2 since one is a true frosh in need of a RS year. You have to CYA. Don't think it has anything, pro or con, to do with Allen.

I think it's entirely possible that neither play a down at UK. And that's not a knock against either......but more of a indication of how things have been lately. The last 3 starters, Levis/Leary/Vandagriff, have all been transfers from bigger programs.

Hamden talked about this with Dick Gabriel on the morning show and said he was really impressed with Beau in the spring but thinks they needed a third experienced guy and also hinted that we may use Gavin in other roles on the field with Brock in some sets. So yes I think Beau and Gavin now share the number 2 spot with Gavin getting some extra plays because of his ability to use his feet.

Hamden talked about this with Dick Gabriel on the morning show and said he was really impressed with Beau in the spring but thinks they needed a third experienced guy and also hinted that we may use Gavin in other roles on the field with Brock in some sets. So yes I think Beau and Gavin now share the number 2 spot with Gavin getting some extra plays because of his ability to use his feet.
Is this guy any better than the Wade kid that took his brother and left for Colorado?

KSR writers continue to not mention Allen saying UK only had two Quarterbacks? Is it a like of respect or like of knowledge? or is he not there?

• Wow
Reactions: 23jumpboy
KSR writers continue to not mention Allen saying UK only had two Quarterbacks? Is it a like of respect or like of knowledge? or is he not there?
Probably lack of both. Or could be they're only mentioning scholarship QBs, apparently Allen is still in the PWO status.

Said in another thread that Wimsatt is most likely going to be a utility/wildcat type of player.

If you're replaced at Rutgers by a kid from Minnesota, your days of D1 QB1 are mostly done. You're sure as shit not coming into the SEC in that capacity.

He must've realized that and opened up to the idea of getting some snaps in a different role. Had he been offered real shot at QB1 or even 2 with a chance to be 1, he'd have taken it. If he was dead set on playing QB and taking that holier than though "i'm a QB not an athlete" stance, then he'd have gone lower ranks.

Appears to me that reality set in, and that this kid wants to play ball at a high level, and isn't going to snub his nose at an opportunity to contribute in a different capacity. Good for him for being self aware that he may not be the best option at QB but could very well contribute and see the field doing something else.

Good size, apparently good athlete who can be productive with the ball and move chains. Would be a shame for him to just sit around and hold the clipboard. Let's get him on the field and see where he fits in.

Really strange to me. Also, Allen being a walk on. If BVG goes down Allen would be the only hope of us salvaging a season from total disaster. The guy is smart and can pass the ball. Some may not know how fortunate we are he is here.

hopefully one day, people will understand depth is never a bad thing- especially in football. I have seen people say Wimsatt isn't that good- which I get- but neither is Allen. Neither has rocked the world. Mix in that with a starter who is unproven and another true frosh and we need all the depth options we can get. I like the addition of Wimsatt if for nothing other than it gives a defensive coordinator something else to plan and prepare for as he has a different skill set. Even if you never use him, as along as the possibility is there, teams have to prep for it

hopefully one day, people will understand depth is never a bad thing- especially in football. I have seen people say Wimsatt isn't that good- which I get- but neither is Allen. Neither has rocked the world. Mix in that with a starter who is unproven and another true frosh and we need all the depth options we can get. I like the addition of Wimsatt if for nothing other than it gives a defensive coordinator something else to plan and prepare for as he has a different skill set. Even if you never use him, as along as the possibility is there, teams have to prep for it
Was thinking the other day that if you could mesh Wimsatt/Allen into one player you might have a decent SEC QB. Too bad that can't be done.

• Haha
Reactions: satcheluk
Sheesh, too much drama and emotion over a 3rd string qb from some of yall. We know how QB snaps go with Mark Stoops.

Barring injury Brock is gonna play 99 999% of the snaps. Week 1 he ain't coming out, gotta get the experience and timing ready for 2 SEC games week 2 & 3.

As I speculated, Hamdan confirmed today they see a use with Wimsatt as a scheme/ package read option QB run game.

Sheesh, too much drama and emotion over a 3rd string qb from some of yall. We know how QB snaps go with Mark Stoops.

Barring injury Brock is gonna play 99 999% of the snaps. Week 1 he ain't coming out, gotta get the experience and timing ready for 2 SEC games week 2 & 3.

As I speculated, Hamdan confirmed today they see a use with Wimsatt as a scheme/ package read option QB run game.
Did I miss it, Wimsatt is officially here?

Reactions: Girthang
Only 1 game has our starting QB been out in 3 yrs, S Carolina 2022
Did you sleep through the Music City Bowl in 2022?
Convenient to cut off after the LB year where we were completely void of a QB because of injury.

Let alone all the games CMS trotted the starting QB out there KNOWING he was injured and unable to perform.

What team have you been watching??
Will Levis. Injured
Devin Leary. Injured.
Drew Barker. Injured.
Patrick Towles. Injured
Steven Johnson. Injured.
Touchdown Terry. Injured....

Max Smith. Injured.......

Reactions: Girthang
Levis skipped Music City because it was a disappointing season. If it had been a bigger bowl going for 10 wins my money is on him playing.

What team have YOU been watching, Leary didn't miss any starts. Stephen Johnson didn't either as a full time guy in 2017. Nor did Terry Wilson in 2018.

Only 1 regular season game in last 3 yrs with the starter lost is pretty freaking above average.

Levis skipped Music City because it was a disappointing season. If it had been a bigger bowl going for 10 wins my money is on him playing.

What team have YOU been watching, Leary didn't miss any starts. Stephen Johnson didn't either as a full time guy in 2017. Nor did Terry Wilson in 2018.

Only 1 regular season game in last 3 yrs with the starter lost is pretty freaking above average.
Every QB you just mentioned was forced to play injured at different times during the season.

Are you saying WL toe injury wasn't a real thing???

He has a new teammate. Another comrade in arms (QB) so to speak. They can learn from each other and about what each brings to the offense.

Wimsatt is likely a better passer than Bowden. No guarantees, but likely. Never got to see Lynn do much in the scheme as far as passing. Not very often you get to add a 4* this late in the game at QB. Could be a great addition.

Every QB you just mentioned was forced to play injured at different times during the season.

Are you saying WL toe injury wasn't a real thing???
Some may have "played" injured...players for every team in the country do from time to time, but I know of no one "forced" to play. Please name the player or players who were "forced" to play injured.

Reactions: delk4three
Some may have "played" injured...players for every team in the country do from time to time, but I know of no one "forced" to play. Please name the player or players who were "forced" to play injured.
Terry Wilson for one. Remember the New Mexico State game??

Reactions: gobigblue812
Maybe I missed it but I don't recall Wilson or anyone else being "forced" to play.
You are taking the word "forced" out of context of the post.
"Forced" to play because there is no viable option is different than being made to play by "force" by someone.

Not having a viable backup has "forced" our starting QB to have to play even when injured.

Wilson was sitting out that game due to an injury. We fell so far behind, he was "forced" to play in order for us to get the win.....otherwise, he would not have played in that game..... because he was injured.

You are taking the word "forced" out of context of the post.
"Forced" to play because there is no viable option is different than being made to play by "force" by someone.

Not having a viable backup has "forced" our starting QB to have to play even when injured.

Wilson was sitting out that game due to an injury. We fell so far behind, he was "forced" to play in order for us to get the win.....otherwise, he would not have played in that game..... because he was injured.
Nothing was taken out of context, you chose to use "forced." Perhaps "out of necessity" would've been better.

Regardless, the argument that backup QBs need to play is valid. However, when QBs are being brought in via the portal and who've only been in the program for a few months, it's valid too that your starter gets as many real time snaps as possible. I recall Bryant always played his back up QBs the first series of the 2nd Q regardless where the series started. Takes a lot of discipline by the coach as well as trust in your players to do that.

Terry Wilson for one. Remember the New Mexico State game??
Ok you are misremembering 2 diff games/2 diff players

In 2016, Drew Barker got hurt week 3 vs New Mexico STATE. Then Stephen Johnson came in & lit it up.

Later in the 11th reg season game of 2016 Johnson sat out against Austin Peay, then came in after UK git behind 0-14.

Reactions: cathouse
Nothing was taken out of context, you chose to use "forced." Perhaps "out of necessity" would've been better.

Regardless, the argument that backup QBs need to play is valid. However, when QBs are being brought in via the portal and who've only been in the program for a few months, it's valid too that your starter gets as many real time snaps as possible. I recall Bryant always played his back up QBs the first series of the 2nd Q regardless where the series started. Takes a lot of discipline by the coach as well as trust in your players to do that.
Hopefully this will help you understand how you took it out of the "context OF THE POST".
Some words in the English dictionary have more than one meaning. "Forced" just happens to be one of those words.

Definition of "force" from the Encyclopedia Britannica.
forced
/ˈfoɚst/
a : caused by necessity

b
: obtained by using power or force.

The "context" of the word forced in my post was "out of necessity ", not that someone FORCED them to play, which was your interpretation of the word.

Funny you think I should have said "out of necessity " when that is the exact definition for the word "forced".

I really hope this helps you understand MY post.

In 2016, Drew Barker got hurt week 3 vs New Mexico STATE. Then Stephen Johnson came in & lit it up.

Later in the 11th reg season game of 2016 Johnson sat out against Austin Peay, then came in after UK git behind 0-14.

Thanks. Had them mixed up with the Will Levis New Mexico State game. Same scenario. Mind gets fuzzy over time.

Hopefully this will help you understand how you took it out of the "context OF THE POST".
Some words in the English dictionary have more than one meaning. "Forced" just happens to be one of those words.

Definition of "force" from the Encyclopedia Britannica.
forced
/ˈfoɚst/
a : caused by necessity

b
: obtained by using power or force.

The "context" of the word forced in my post was "out of necessity ", not that someone FORCED them to play, which was your interpretation of the word.

Funny you think I should have said "out of necessity " when that is the exact definition for the word "forced".

I really hope this helps you understand MY post.
Good god whatever. I'm sure that was the intent of your post. 🤣

Thanks. Had them mixed up with the Will Levis New Mexico State game. Same scenario. Mind gets fuzzy over time.
It's all good, I was hazy about it as well till reviewing past season results on ESPN.com, haha

Reactions: cathouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT