ADVERTISEMENT

Cal "It never entered my mind that we were going to lose"

SilentsAreGolden

All-American
Dec 12, 2007
Talking about the Wisconsin game. Said when were up 4 with about 5 mins to go, he thought it was over. Do you like that in a coach? The supreme confidence. Or do you want your coach to have some idea that his team could lose and have that thought help guide his strategy? Not really sure what I think just yet, but I was curious about how some of you think. I already know what certain posters will say.

Talking about the Wisconsin game. Said when were up 4 with about 5 mins to go, he thought it was over. Do you like that in a coach? The supreme confidence. Or do you want your coach to have some idea that his team could lose and have that thought help guide his strategy? Not really sure what I think just yet, but I was curious about how some of you think. I already know what certain posters will say.

I felt the same way, truthfully. I never thought we were going to lose.........until wats his face hit the step back 3........then I KNEW we were going to lose.........

Reactions: bigc45157

I would have liked for Cal and his staff to have watched some tape. This loss still hurts and it hurts to see 7 guys leave with no championship to show for.

Reactions: Abomb502Cat
Loaded question and tough to answer.It seemed like both he and the players thought the game was over and tried to run the clock out.Wisconsin is a good team that could score and I really wanted to see us keep attacking in those 4 minutes because I think we were wearing them down but slowing down helped them out.

I never thought we would lose until seeing 3 shot clock violations then the bogus violation that gave Wisconsin a score. I had a bad feeling. The shot clock violations on our end still leaves me speechless. That loss still hurts. It's personally hurt me more than any other I remember. It's not that we lost but the manner in which we lost.

Reactions: Rawrrr and brianpoe
If he really was that cocky then I am speechless; that is a mindset that a fan at home should have, not a coach at the University of Kentucky in the biggest basketball game of the year to date. I guess we now know why he used zero strategy down the stretch, he never thought we could lose. Call me a bad fan and troll all you want, but that pisses me off because that game is still weighing on my heart. It will always haunt me, but Cal's season is still not over, not until after the draft; so oh well. NO championship and seven drafteees, bravo! Hoooray!

If he really was that cocky then I am speechless; that is a mindset that a fan at home should have, not a coach at the University of Kentucky in the biggest basketball game of the year to date. I guess we now know why he used zero strategy down the stretch, he never thought we could lose. Call me a bad fan and troll all you want, but that pisses me off because that game is still weighing on my heart. It will always haunt me, but Cal's season is still not over, not until after the draft; so oh well. NO championship and seven drafteees, bravo! Hoooray!

OK. You are a bad fan and a troll.

UGH . And maybe not a bad fan just not a bright one .

Up 4 w 5 min to go as a coach you don't think about winning or losing. It's dangerous to let the thought of winning into your head at that point.

Reactions: yoshukai
Congratulations. Whatever your true motives, you've made a bigger fool of yourself in less than a week than some people do on this board in five years.
UGH . And maybe not a bad fan just not a bright one .[/Says the guy who claims that every single player on the planetQUOTE]
C
UGH . And maybe not a bad fan just not a bright one .
Says the guy who claims we are getting every single recruit on the planet. Yea buddy, is this really a good time for you to offer any insight on a person's intelligence? Na, Didn't think so bud.

I have to admit I just don't like that comment at all.It's dangerous to think you have the game won and quit attacking.Coach Cal is human like we all are and I think he made some mistakes in this game.Live and learn.

Reactions: ala_kat2
I thought the game was over if UK could have gotten another basket instead of 3 straight shot clock violations. That game was really right there for the taking and they choked it away.

As for watching tape, who knows? They certainly didn't look prepared for anything Wisconsin ran, but Wisconsin certainly knew to get Booker into a pick and roll situation and he would switch on to Dekker and Kaminsky. They scored on that play every time.

You nailed it Wild!!!!!! It's easy to know what to do after the game was played. Monday morning quarterbacks are the best.

Don't know about anyone else but I was screaming at the TV to pick up the pace at the time.

Wisconsin was showing signs of wearing down (just like they did in the first half) but UK slowing the pace (along with UK themselves not using enough of their subs earlier in the half) allowed Wisconsin to stay in it at a critical time.

I would have liked for Cal and his staff to have watched some tape. This loss still hurts and it hurts to see 7 guys leave with no championship to show for.

Cal and the coaches, especially Robic, watch a ton of tape. That has been said thousands of times since Cal has been here.

He doesn't have the players watch a lot of tape. Not sure how people get that confused?

Reactions: trickbabe

If you are a fan, you are pretty pathetic.

If you are a troll, you are doing a great job.

Of course after a loss some won't like confidence - which is clearly preferable to the alternative. Imagine the response if he'd said "ya know, just had a bad feeling - really I thought we were gonna lose the whole time.".....

If you are a fan, you are pretty pathetic.

If you are a troll, you are doing a great job.
Thanks little buddy. If you are Cal worshiper, you are doing a great job. Me, I love Kentucky basketball, people like yourself get mad anytime Cal gets criticized what so ever, well guess what, that comes with the territory of being a coach at Kentucky. Bottom line is,he blew the Wisconsin game, accept it and move on.

Thanks little buddy. If you are Cal worshiper, you are doing a great job. Me, I love Kentucky basketball, people like yourself get mad anytime Cal gets criticized what so ever, well guess what, that comes with the territory of being a coach at Kentucky. Bottom line is,he blew the Wisconsin game, accept it and move on.

Probably bigger than you, but the point is not criticizing Cal. I did, I think he lost this game and in 2010. But its the jerkass way in which you say things. I don't care if you are a fan, you are still a jerk because you obviously struggle talking with adults.

Don't know about anyone else but I was screaming at the TV to pick up the pace at the time.

Wisconsin was showing signs of wearing down (just like they did in the first half) but UK slowing the pace (along with UK themselves not using enough of their subs earlier in the half) allowed Wisconsin to stay in it at a critical time.
I did the exact same thing.

Reactions: brianpoe

I bet I said "Go damnit" a hundred times during the stretch that we had the three shot clock violations. Almost begging someone to move. Damn, I'm reliving this all over again.....*sigh*

I said I agree with your premise on a lot of posts. But crying about zero strategy and draft picks do not help your cause. I apologize for any rude remarks.
I just speak the truth man, I am a nice guy though. I just do not beat around the bush about stuff; I like Cal and I am glad he is our coach; this year just drained me though and I do get tired of us having to replace our entire team most years. With that said, I apologize for my rude remarks as well.

Reactions: brianpoe
In tight games, Cal let's the players decide the outcome. And if you have better players, then generally you will have a better outcome more times than not.

How about we actually TRY to win rather than taking the air out of the ball and assuming we will magically win on a last second desperation shot? Yeah, I think I'd prefer that.

Seth, my first thought was the same as yours, but Cal said that we were trying to get the ball to Towns, but that we couldn't do it.

I never dreamed that we would lose that game. It was a shocker for me. Knocked the breath right out of me too. 38-1. Not bad.

Reactions: brianpoe and jedwar
I never thought we would lose until seeing 3 shot clock violations then the bogus violation that gave Wisconsin a score. I had a bad feeling. The shot clock violations on our end still leaves me speechless. That loss still hurts. It's personally hurt me more than any other I remember. It's not that we lost but the manner in which we lost.

^^^^^This^^^^^

AlohaCat

Reactions: ala_kat2
I said at the beginning of the year that Wisconsin was the only team I was really concerned with.

I went into that game thinking we would likely lose.

But I felt that if we won we would beat Duke and win the title.

The feeling you described is exactly I have and I bet most of our fan base has. Simply put, we lost the game. We literally help them beat us.
We weren't the only ones that helped them. Those Refs may burn in hell eternally.

Yup. I spent at least 4 possessions standing up and screaming, desperately begging for them to stop wasting clock. It didn't require hindsight. It was painful to watch as it happened.

Reactions: brianpoe and Rawrrr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT