ADVERTISEMENT

Cal "It never entered my mind that we were going to lose"

If he really was that cocky then I am speechless; that is a mindset that a fan at home should have, not a coach at the University of Kentucky in the biggest basketball game of the year to date. I guess we now know why he used zero strategy down the stretch, he never thought we could lose. Call me a bad fan and troll all you want, but that pisses me off because that game is still weighing on my heart. It will always haunt me, but Cal's season is still not over, not until after the draft; so oh well. NO championship and seven drafteees, bravo! Hoooray!
All big losses hurt. Hell last year against UCONN hurt. It was a great run, but felt like we had the better team and should have won once we made it to the final. That said, Cal has had UK in a position 4x in his first 6 years to be within one or two wins of a championship. winning it all is hard, even if you do have the best team.

Btw, I'm not sure how old you are, but Rupp, the best coach in UK history didn't win a title in his last 19 seasons here. And he didn't have to replace his team every year. I bet you would have been calling for his head about 2 years into that stretch.

And as another poster said, it's not your take on the coaching or lack of strategy that is annoying. It's the fact you throw in the jabs about the draft and players leaving that makes you sound a bit over the top.

Reactions: brianpoe
Talking about the Wisconsin game. Said when were up 4 with about 5 mins to go, he thought it was over. Do you like that in a coach? The supreme confidence. Or do you want your coach to have some idea that his team could lose and have that thought help guide his strategy? Not really sure what I think just yet, but I was curious about how some of you think. I already know what certain posters will say.

I said after the ND game I'm cool with going inside to towns when it's there, but I hope cal doesn't force the ball inside so much to the point where we end up a one dimensional team going inside constantly and get beat. That's what happened. We should have sped up and left WISCONSIN in the dirt. I will forever put that loss on cal. But that's ok. It happens.

When you get into late games in the tourney, you will never win with one look. It won't happen. Teams game plan for hours over your strengths, and take away your best options if they can. Cal gave them a notre dame game tape that said "we only go inside, and we won't speed it up". That was it, we lost before we started, and that was my fear coming out of the nd game where I was ripped to shreds for posting this exact stance the night of the elite eight. I was a cal basher.......

I hope cal learns game tape is essential and these kids needs to watch it. I'll cite one example; If you go back and look frank has one really good spin move to the basketball and we weren't even ready for that. It burned us more than a few times. Why? Our guys weren't prepared.

Jon Scott is right poythress going down might have cost us, but it shouldn't have. You can't win titles being a one dimensional ball club. That's the answer.

The part about thinkin our guys would figure it out kinda bugs me. If you have your team breaking down in the last minutes, then you call t'o and help em figure it out. This loss will bug me for a long time.

I just speak the truth man, I am a nice guy though. I just do not beat around the bush about stuff; I like Cal and I am glad he is our coach; this year just drained me though and I do get tired of us having to replace our entire team most years. With that said, I apologize for my rude remarks as well.
Truth or opinion? When you think your opinion is fact and "do not beat around the bush about stuff", there is a good chance you will come across rude. This is just my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact.;)

I thought the game was over if UK could have gotten another basket instead of 3 straight shot clock violations. That game was really right there for the taking and they choked it away.

As for watching tape, who knows? They certainly didn't look prepared for anything Wisconsin ran, but Wisconsin certainly knew to get Booker into a pick and roll situation and he would switch on to Dekker and Kaminsky. They scored on that play every time.

While I understand why Cal ran the clock, I still hated it. Felt like it just killed our momentum.

You nailed it Wild!!!!!! It's easy to know what to do after the game was played. Monday morning quarterbacks are the best.

It doesn't take a Monday morning quarterback to know that a 4 point lead with 5 minutes to go in a Final Four game is nothing.
Nor does it take one to know you don't basically go into a stall in such a situation.
Most who even an elementary understanding of the game can tell you that...while the game is going on.

Sounds like you may need to watch a little more basketball.

He is also quoted in the article as saying he thought the game was over when we got up by 4 with 5 minutes to go...
Absolutely mind boggling....he certainly coached like he thought it was over.
Madonna changed with the times and had a very long career. Andrew "Dice" Clay didn't and he is a thing of the past. It's time for you to get a new routine or..........

Loaded question and tough to answer.It seemed like both he and the players thought the game was over and tried to run the clock out.Wisconsin is a good team that could score and I really wanted to see us keep attacking in those 4 minutes because I think we were wearing them down but slowing down helped them out.
If Cal learned something about this shot clock management BS then we will be better for it in the long run...Wisky was on the ropes ready to be knocked out , but he let them off and it bit him and the team in the butt...Hopefully he junks this philosophy until you are far enough ahead that you can afford a couple of mistakes and run out the clock...This was a Dean Smith ploy except it was a with a shot clock...:(

It doesn't take a Monday morning quarterback to know that a 4 point lead with 5 minutes to go in a Final Four game is nothing.
Nor does it take one to know you don't basically go into a stall in such a situation.
Most who even an elementary understanding of the game can tell you that...while the game is going on.

Sounds like you may need to watch a little more basketball.
It appears you need to read and listen to Cal's interviews. He didn't stall or slow the game; he told the guys to get it to KAT.

All year long when this team tried to play stall ball the other team closed on us so I have no idea why it would have been a surprise Wisconsin did it. This team also did not look anywhere near as unbeatable as the John Wall or AD teams. Sure, it was undefeated but it never looked like a juggernaut once we had that long layoff after Christmas. They always looked like a team on the verge of losing. That's why I was a nervous wreck. The AD team I could just relax and watch them bring home the trophy because you could just tell nobody was beating them in the tournament. Same way I felt about '96 and Wall's team (even though of course they lost). I never felt that way about this team.

If Cal learned something about this shot clock management BS then we will be better for it in the long run...Wisky was on the ropes ready to be knocked out , but he let them off and it bit him and the team in the butt...Hopefully he junks this philosophy until you are far enough ahead that you can afford a couple of mistakes and run out the clock...This was a Dean Smith ploy except it was a with a shot clock...:(
Only one thing to say. Why the 3 straight trips down the court and not a shot? The first I understand, just one of those things. The next time though if we ran off 1/2 the shot clock why didnt we call a time out? And to compound a bad series of plays we do it a THIRD time. I will never understand that series of plays.

Madonna changed with the times and had a very long career. Andrew "Dice" Clay didn't and he is a thing of the past. It's time for you to get a new routine or..........

And the Stones sound the same as they did in the 60's and have outlasted and outsold both combined.

Many times Cal has stated he didn't stall or slow the game. He wanted the ball to go inside. He didn't call time because the Badgers were tired and didn't want to allow them to rest. If he called time and we still lost the game it would have been because Cal called time out and let Wisconsin rest.

I said I agree with your premise on a lot of posts. But crying about zero strategy and draft picks do not help your cause. I apologize for any rude remarks.
Poe...He had a strategy it was just the wrong won for this game... and the draft thing...I was highly pissed he made that comment in 2010 and I honestly thinks he feels the same way today... think there are three of these guys who could go undrafted...Tell me how that is smart and a good thing for these kids future...

Last edited:
And the Stones sound the same as they did in the 60's and have outlasted and outsold both combined.
No the Stones don't sound the same as they have aged. You may find it hard to believe Madonna has out sold the Stones 302 million to 200 million. I like the Stones better though; one heck of a show! I was just trying to point out that 3REX pretending like a cat fan is an old "act".

Reactions: Stingray23
It appears you need to read and listen to Cal's interviews. He didn't stall or slow the game; he told the guys to get it to KAT.

I saw the game. Whatever he did, or didn't, tell them to do, they went 3 possessions without even getting a shot off.
Once...ok. Twice...need a TO. 3 times...that's coaching, poor coaching.

In tight games, Cal let's the players decide the outcome. And if you have better players, then generally you will have a better outcome more times than not.
Ok if this premise is true , then why did Cal call for the stall ball with so much time left on the clock...Let the players play and decide the outcome...I think if he had done that we would have been playing for the title:cool::rolleyes:

Many times Cal has stated he didn't stall or slow the game. He wanted the ball to go inside. He didn't call time because the Badgers were tired and didn't want to allow them to rest. If he called time and we still lost the game it would have been because Cal called time out and let Wisconsin rest.

Wait...he saw "the Badgers were tired & didn't want to allow them to rest..." but we slowed the game to a crawl & didn't even shoot 3 times down the floor.
Admire your loyalty to Cal, but come on...

Just too many games throughout the season where we didn't have to come dialed in and could still win. Even in the tournament 3 out of the first four games we came dialed in for only one, West Virginia. Thanks in part to them being stupid enough to run their mouths about us.

Was afraid that kind of passive attitude would eventually catch up with us, and it did. Players like Wall, Davis and Gilchrist that bring it every second of every game to get through 6 games in the tournament is a must for a program like us that will always have a rough draw in the tournament, even if we are the overall #1.

Afraid that we might not have enough of the Briscoe types this season and to me the reason the Diallo decision is a lot bigger than some are making it out to be. Maybe we have enough without Diallo if we get Murray, but he sure would enhance our chances with the motor he has.

I saw the game. Whatever he did, or didn't, tell them to do, they went 3 possessions without even getting a shot off.
Once...ok. Twice...need a TO. 3 times...that's coaching, poor coaching.
That same poor coaching got them to that point, a championship and the other final 4's. No one knows how the game would turn out if something was done different. Change that and still loose and you will still find something to troll about.

By stalling the ball he let them rest for three straight possessions without calling a time out...figure that one out

That same poor coaching got them to that point, a championship and the other final 4's. No one knows how the game would turn out if something was done different. Change that and still loose and you will still find something to troll about.

And you will find a way to basically do the limbo as you bend over backwards to tell us all we were just seeing things & it was actually a great coaching job. His "coaching up to that point" has zero to do with what he did or didn't do in the game we are actually discussing.
You can try to pick a fight with me all you want, but I'm not buying what you're selling.

Seth, my first thought was the same as yours, but Cal said that we were trying to get the ball to Towns, but that we couldn't do it.

I never dreamed that we would lose that game. It was a shocker for me. Knocked the breath right out of me too. 38-1. Not bad.
That's why after 2 consecutive shot clock violations you call timeout and say , dammit guys we're getting a good shot this time . LIKE I WAS SCREAMING FOR HIM TO DO ! We needed 1 more basket, just one more. Draw up a damn play , other coaches do it all the time .

Reactions: brianpoe and 3rex
And you will find a way to basically do the limbo as you bend over backwards to tell us all we were just seeing things & it was actually a great coaching job. His "coaching up to that point" has zero to do with what he did or didn't do in the game we are actually discussing.
You can try to pick a fight with me all you want, but I'm not buying what you're selling.
A Monday Morning Quarterback will come in after a loss and harp on 1 or 2 things. You sir are a Monday Morning Trollerback.

Reactions: michaeluk26
A Monday Morning Quarterback will come in after a loss and harp on 1 or 2 things. You sir are a Monday Morning Trollerback.

Dumbest thing I've heard all day.

1. I was begging the guys to attack, DURING THE GAME, WHILE IT WAS BEING PLAYED. the entire group I was watching with was incredulous that we basically quit playing, and we were thinking this DURING THE GAME, while they were playing, all during the last 5 minutes of the game.
No "Monday morning quarterbacking" here.

2. I didn't come in after a loss & do anything. I simply responded to this thread some 3 weeks after the game.

I guess I could just read a quote from Cal that says he didn't slow the game down & say "ok, cool, great job!" You know, like you're doing.

Reactions: thepip
Dumbest thing I've heard all day.

1. I was begging the guys to attack, DURING THE GAME, WHILE IT WAS BEING PLAYED. the entire group I was watching with was incredulous that we basically quit playing, and we were thinking this DURING THE GAME.
No "Monday morning quarterbacking" here.

2. I didn't come in after a loss & do anything. I simply responded to this thread some 3 weeks after the game.

I guess I could just read a quote from Cal that says he didn't slow the game down & say "ok, cool, great job!" You know, like you're doing.
I guess you never read your own posts.

No the Stones don't sound the same as they have aged. You may find it hard to believe Madonna has out sold the Stones 302 million to 200 million. I like the Stones better though; one heck of a show! I was just trying to point out that 3REX pretending like a cat fan is an old "act".

The Stones "sound" is essentially the same. They have not drastically altered their sound over the years.

And if Madonna has outsold the Stones, that is just sad, especially if that includes ticket sales.

This is the style coach uses and nothing will change it, IMO. He has won one championships in six tries and several got away because he became very cautious and tried to run out the clock. I can not fault him because he has brought in terrific players and is in the Hall of Fame, deservingly so. This year's team made a sacrifice for the team and in a perfect world should have been champions. But at the end, the team that took home the trophy was one that was prepared (maybe a little help from the establishment and officials) and coached by a veteran who knew what he was doing when it counted.

Our coach may learn from this and maybe when we get back to the Final Four he will be more prepared and use the talent to put points on the board. All year long I felt like offense was not important to us because we had such solid defense and one player didn't carry us. They had the ability to blow out teams but found their self needing more points but instead of attacking they started running out the clock. When our Cats went up 4 points and couldn't get over the hump I had the feeling it was a matter of time before Wisconsin hit us with a dagger. And they did.

Reactions: thepip and brianpoe
Poe...He had a strategy it was just the wrong won for this game... and the draft thing...I was highly pissed he made that comment in 2010 and I honestly thinks he feels the same way today... think there are three of these guys who could go undrafted...Tell me how that is smart and a good thing for these kids future...

Brother, I agree he had a strategy and I didn't like it.

If you still to this day do not know why he made the 2010 comment I can't help you.

It's not up to me, and Cal says it's not up to him, to make the draft call for these kids and their futures.

I thought Booker for sure should have stayed, but then again I think Lyles could improve his spot as well by staying. The twins and Dakari may simply be what they are and might as well go for the money now.

Thanks little buddy. If you are Cal worshiper, you are doing a great job. Me, I love Kentucky basketball, people like yourself get mad anytime Cal gets criticized what so ever, well guess what, that comes with the territory of being a coach at Kentucky. Bottom line is,he blew the Wisconsin game, accept it and move on.

If you think he is bad, you ought to see DuganBoy over on HOB. Any mere mention of Cal not being awesome gets him all bent out of shape.

38-0 made the media, fans and Cal overrate the team. I mean you had entire ESPN shows dedicated to beating UK. When have you ever seen anything like that?

The bottom line is while we were the best team, Wisconsin wasn't that far behind us. The gap wasn't as big as people thought it was.

I think we were a 3 point favorite in this game. I think it was around 60/40 we'd win. I'm not so sure why it would be a "shock" to anyone we lost.

38-0 made the media, fans and Cal overrate the team. I mean you had entire ESPN shows dedicated to beating UK. When have you ever seen anything like that?

The bottom line is while we were the best team, Wisconsin wasn't that far behind us. The gap wasn't as big as people thought it was.

I think we were a 3 point favorite in this game. I think it was around 60/40 we'd win. I'm not so sure why it would be a "shock" to anyone we lost.

I certainly agree with much of that, but I don't think that, at least for many, it's shock that we lost as much as its that once we got ahead by 4, we quit playing to win...with 5 minutes still to play in the game.

I don't know why anyone would have trouble second guessing a coach HOF or not, they all make mistakes. I think Cal usually makes good half time adjustments but IMO he is not especially good while the game is in progress.

Wisconsin knew what was coming and took KAT away. Where was the counter to that? If it happens one time, okay. That it happened 3 straight trips when the game was there to be won indicates that Calipari goofed on that situation. UK had a chance to put the game away and never took advantage.

Reactions: 3rex
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT