ADVERTISEMENT

Cal experimenting with Thiero at the 4

All of this is because Toppin can't hold down his spot. I think Cal will go with defense first, Ware or Ugonna at the 4, what that does is it takes away a player jacking up shots and puts in a rebounder and defender and rim protector. All of those things are positives.

not sure them being at the 3 or 4 matters, just get some playmakers on the court. Someone that can score at least

You people are never satisfied are you? You have been complaining about Thiero not playing. The 4 is clearly a weakness on the team. Thiero is very versatile and he's growing. Why not try him at the 4?
Livingston has made it clear he sees himself as a 3. This is a chance for Thiero to proove that he deserves more playing time. Are you afraid that the kid is going to proove that he really is not ready to contribute much this year? Are you afraid that you will have to face the fact that a Hall of Fame coach knows what he's doing?
1.) No Final Fours since 2015
2.) No NCAA Tournament wins since 2019.
3.) 9-21
4.) Saint Peters
5.) Slow start to 2022-2023

Yes, you would be correct. I am not satisfied with these past 7-8 years. One, because I’m a Kentucky fan and two, our coach makes $9 million a year and appears to be mailing it in like a third shift line worker at Toyota during holiday shutdown.

no ,no ,no oh hell no that was the only time we looked like we knew what we were doing.
Good point. It just rubbed me the wrong way how he said well the Bahamas was for building chemistry and bonding. That's all fine and dandy but use those extra practices to your advantage. That's like a football coach saying he used spring practices for team bonding. No! That is the time to experiment and find out what you have, practice reps, define roles, etc.

Cal has truly lost it!

I genuinely think he can play the 1 , but why would he for THIS UK team?

I am not sure that there’s a difference between who you list of Thiero and Livingston as the “3” or the “4” , if they are sharing the court.

It’s more when they aren’t sharing The court

I do wonder if Cal is saying Livingston is the 3 for “draft” reasons.

He came out and said “maybe we make him a 4”. Did Livingston’s camp get involved and say he needs “promoted” as a 3?

Just a thought?

Cannot wait to hear everyone’s thoughts.
And that’s another negative thing that happens with this One-and-done crap. You’re bringing in kids that have advisors and people that have way too much say in what happens at UK.

Once they sign on to play at UK, those people should have no say, but they do, because Cal promotes this "players first" garbage and that allows players, and their camps, to make decisions.

This is what happened with the Shaedon Sharpe situation. If Cal didn’t learn his lesson after what happened last years with SS, than it reinforces the simple fact that Cal needs to go. No one player is bigger than UK.

Last edited:
All of this is because Toppin can't hold down his spot. I think Cal will go with defense first, Ware or Ugonna at the 4, what that does is it takes away a player jacking up shots and puts in a rebounder and defender and rim protector. All of those things are positives.
If Ware is in the starting lineup, I'm done watching. A complete non factor offensively isn't what we need.

Reactions: seccats04
Exactly.

Experiment with lineups at home against Cupcake U in early November, not on the road against an SEC opponent in late December.

The rotation should already be set in stone, for the most part, by now. A third of the season is in the books. The conference season has started.

Just more evidence that Cal has lost his fire. There is no sense of urgency on his part. His methods are maddening.
I would feel a whole lot better if Cal just came out and said he's been f-ing with us this whole time and it's because he’s fed up with the us (the fans).

If he's actually trying his best, well, that's very disturbing.

What's worse, is he doesn't seem concerned, which would tell me he doesn't care.

If you count the Bahamas games and the exhibitions…UK b-ball is 16 games into the season. Why in the hell is the rotation not set?

Reactions: westerncat
I’ll wait until I actually see it in games to believe it. There’s been a persistent pattern throughout his 14 years here where Cal makes statements indicating he’s gonna start playing a guy more or try something new …but then it never actually happens.

Wouldn’t be surprised if this “Thiero at the 4” thing turns out to be the same sort of empty bluster. Cal likes to talk …but he doesn’t necessarily like to do as he talks.
I agree. He says things just to say them.

The other day, they were doing some kind of an event, Cal was being interviewed and Ado was sitting next to him, so he tslked about how he has to play Ado more.

I'll be surprised if he actually plays him and if he does, I'll be shocked if he allows him to play more than 2 minutes.

2. But regardless if you play Thiero at the 4 …fine. But if you play a rock fight tempo and don’t push tempo does it really make a big difference? You need a game wjtb pace, get into legs of opponent to make it impactful
Thiero or Livingston at the three or four makes no differance because were always switching on defense. And with this small line up we should have an advantage on offense with quickness, and spacing.

Rebounding will be the key to this small line up. This is not a grind it out line up, press all over the floor

Why does CL at the 3 bother many of you.? He has 3 skills as a 3.5 tweener. And thus far Theiro has shown to be the better rebounder.

As for Wheeler, did many of you miss the last game, when it got sort of close we went with Wallace, NOT Wheeler. So maybe, hopefully, he is moving in that direction of playing Wheeler only 15-20mpg. I would say 15 if CJ can make shots.
What's bothersome is its taken 10 games for him to even acknowledge it.

Pitino acknowledged it after game 2 in '96 and put Epps at PG and the rest is history.

Thiero or Livingston at the three or four makes no differance because were always switching on defense. And with this small line up we should have an advantage on offense with quickness, and spacing.

Rebounding will be the key to this small line up. This is not a grind it out line up, press all over the floor

Regarding rebounding, all the bigs defer to Oscar anyway and don't block out either, jumping out of their shoes trying to get blocks. Livingston does as well though.

I seem to recall before two games ago Cal talking about playing Theiro a lot more. So, taking anything Cal says as what we then see on the court is not reliable.

What it sure seems is that Cal is just stubborn and I guess it is ego that he can't allow others to have reasonable suggestions if he doesn't think of it first. It occurs to me that he surrounds himself with great recruiting assistant coaches but rarely do any go on to have their own successful careers. Say what you want about K. but he sure has a lot of former assistants as head coaches at several colleges. A very different legacy. Cal has control and just won't let go.
just asking but Thiero still having swelling in his knees

And that’s another negative thing that happens with this One-and-done crap. You’re bringing in kids that have advisors and people that have way too much say in what happens at UK.

Once they sign on to play at UK, those people should have no say, but they do, because Cal promotes this "players first" garbage and that allows players, and their camps, to make decisions.

This is what happened with the Shaedon Sharpe situation. If Cal didn’t learn his lesson after what happened last years with SS, than it reinforces the simple fact that Cal needs to go. No one player is bigger than UK.
Cal hasn't learned a lesson since the 3rd grade.

Reactions: kyjeff1

Agreee. But Cal is never going to press and extend defense. He’s going to play the same degree he always does.

There shouldn't be much difference between the 3 and 4 offensively playing 4-out-1-in.
He just has to play 4-out-1-in. So far, it's been 4-in-1-out (whoeve has the ball is the out man).

He could have been playing 4 out all this time, but, for whatever reason, he brings everyone well inside the 3 point line.

The only thing I can think of for doing this is, to make it as hard as possible to score, so later, when he moves everyone out to the 3 point line, they will feel like they "have plenty of room for activities". That’s the only thing I can come up with.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
There shouldn't be much difference between the 3 and 4 offensively playing 4-out-1-in.
Agreed.

If Cal plays a 4 out motion offense, the 3 and 4 should be interchangeable. It’s really a Point, 3 Wings, and a Post. The 3 Wings (2-4 spots) should be interchangeable on the offensive end.

Reactions: fatguy87
He just has to play 4-out-1-in. So far, it's been 4-in-1-out (whoeve has the ball is the out man).

He could have been playing 4 out all this time, but, for whatever reason, he brings everyone well inside the 3 point line.

The only thing I can think of for doing this is, to make it as hard as possible to score, so later, when he moves everyone out to the 3 point line, they will feel like they "have plenty of room for activities". That’s the only thing I can come up with.
Yep. For some reason Cal seems to prefer playing two in the Post. He uses a lot of High Post/Low Post action. He seems intent on bringing that back with this team. I wouldn’t be surprised if he showed up looking like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever, declaring the return of disco, he is so behind the times.

I like the idea. At least he's going to try something. You could press with this line up, shooting should be better, spacing should be better and open up some lanes for driving. Defense should be quicker for half court traps, and for full court presssing. Rebouding will be the key along with defending the four spot. And we have Oscar for rebounding. Bring in Ogonna to spell Oscar to add some shot blocking. Now if Cals telling the truth about this and actually gives it enough time to work is another question. Hope it's not like in the past and we are playing a zone defense and it looks like it's working and the other team hit's a three and his knee jerk reaction is back to back to man, give it time.

Let's wait till he tries is. I still remember him promising to play Hopkins more, just to see him literally never play again

Reactions: fatguy87
I hope Thiero plays against Mizzou, but I doubt he'll see much time. He's the only guy we really don't know how good he is against quality competition...because he never gets to play! Maybe he's a revelation similar to Livingston. That would be nice.

If you play 4 out with both Livingston and Thiero on the floor, it doesn’t matter what you call them. If you try to force one of them inside, it also doesn’t matter what you call them.

So our joke of a coach hasn’t played this kid all season, yet now right before league play, he’s going to throw him out there?

It was clear in the Bahamas that Adu needed minutes. It’s also been clear that Toppin gets way too many minutes, for example.

Our coach flat out sucks.
his knees also need rest he has problems with the growth spurt he is going thru

Why not playing Livingston and Thiero at the 4 and just split the time until Toppin gets turned arouind. I really lilke C.J. and Reeves at the 2 and 3. I just think they need a few games together to become a deadly combination. I wouldn't even care if Cal platooned and maybe didn't give the second bunch quite equal playing time. I think right now Cal is trying to keep everyone happy and that may be impossible! If we brought Wheeler off the bench when the other team is a little fatigued he just might be able to blow by them off the dribble. Of course I like to see them press and I know that is no longer in vogue.

• Love
Reactions: westerncat
Yep. For some reason Cal seems to prefer playing two in the Post. He uses a lot of High Post/Low Post action. He seems intent on bringing that back with this team. I wouldn’t be surprised if he showed up looking like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever, declaring the return of disco, he is so behind the times.
I know he says he blocks out the noise from the outside, but I guarantee he has heard/read plenty of comments from the media and analysts about how his offense is dated, ineffective and archaic. Knowing Cal, all he's going to do is stay committed to his style, just to show everyone it still works.

It’s not fair to the fans, the program, or the kids he cares so much about.

He is all about preparing these kids for the next level, but the NBA doesn’t play anything like this, so I don't understand how this is helping them.

At some point, Cal needs to realize that he's always in a tug-of-war with someone and that maybe he's the problem. It’s well past time for him to swallow his pride and do the simple things that will get so many people back on his side.

Reactions: Backer cutter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT