ADVERTISEMENT

Cai Is Not Leaving

I can give you $33+ million reasons why he is not going anywhere- he is not going to resign and forfeit the $$ and KY is not going to fire him and have to pay the $33+ million- I don't like it but that's just the way it is, for now anyway
There is absolutely, positively, no way in the Twilight Zone, that Calipari will be UK’s HC next season!

The “buyout” has been discussed ad nauseam, and it’s not going to matter! Cal is toast, so go ahead and get used to it.

I can give you $33+ million reasons why he is not going anywhere- he is not going to resign and forfeit the $$ and KY is not going to fire him and have to pay the $33+ million- I don't like it but that's just the way it is, for now anyway
You think we would pay him $33 million in one lump sum or it would be paid out over the life of the contract? You think his salary at a new place wouldn’t come off of that too? All false assumptions if so.

Here's what happen if CC stays, for me at least. Once the summer comes and I get revved up for football, the bad taste has simmered from bball. Cal starts his usual preseason bs hype. Won't fall victim again. The season starts, I will watch every game. Our team will have several highlights, but more disappointments. I will hope it straightens out by March. Get excited until the Coach Lucy pulls the football and I bust my ass again. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
How about I am just thinking with common sense- hopefully am 100% wrong but no matter how u slice it, $33 million is a huge sum
The 33 million is a non factor.
It doesn’t have to be paid up front and if he gets a new job that amount comes off the amount.

The only thing holding this up is Barnhart.

Period. It’s not the money whatsoever

The shit show continues indefinitely, unless the fan base can make his life totally miserable.

The best that we can hope for is an SMU takes a flier on him. They hope he can seriously upgrade the talent and he can be hungry enough to give the bball world one last middle finger. SMU has the pockets to pay. And UK can negotiate the buyout lower and include a clause that doesn’t allow any salary he gains to offset the buyout amount. This is the only way I see it happening. But I do think it’s damning that Barney refused to comment last night. That tells me Barney wants him gone. Just can he get it done.

Reactions: UKat1
The best that we can hope for is an SMU takes a flier on him. They hope he can seriously upgrade the talent and he can be hungry enough to give the bball world one last middle finger. SMU has the pockets to pay. And UK can negotiate the buyout lower and include a clause that doesn’t allow any salary he gains to offset the buyout amount. This is the only way I see it happening. But I do think it’s damning that Barney refused to comment last night. That tells me Barney wants him gone. Just can he get it done.
Nah. Barney is just hiding until the fans cool down a little bit before he comes out and makes his "state of the athletic department " speech.

There is not a thing he can say about Cal that he can actually back up other than something generic like "Cal knows we are not where we want to be with the basketball program. We have discussed that and Cal is taking the necessary steps to get us back on track" blah, blah, blah.

There will be more talk about the girls rifle team and the success of volleyball than it will be about Cal's failures.

Nah. Barney is just hiding until the fans cool down a little bit before he comes out and makes his "state of the athletic department " speech.

There is not a thing he can say about Cal that he can actually back up other than something generic like "Cal knows we are not where we want to be with the basketball program. We have discussed that and Cal is taking the necessary steps to get us back on track" blah, blah, blah.

There will be more talk about the girls rifle team and the success of volleyball than it will be about Cal's failures.
He can't be that tone deaf. Not with Cal being equally as tone deaf. Both would lose their jobs in the next year

I ca give you one more reason. Barnhart is a risk averse guy and he will go out of his way to figure out a way to make Cal being here still work. He's been doing that the last several years as it is. To Mitch, making this situation work vs going through the steps and risk of changing coaches is still the lesser of two evils.

Here's another reason. If he has to part ways with Cal after that rediculous contract, then he himself is more than halfway out the door.

Reactions: cathouse
He can't be that tone deaf. Not with Cal being equally as tone deaf. Both would lose their jobs in the next year
He's NOT tone deaf. That is WHY he is hiding from media and the fans, so he doesn't have to answer questions about Cal and the state of the basketball program.

His hands are tied anyway. Capiluto is Cal's biggest supporter and definitely has Cal's back.
Mitch is odd man out on this one and has absolutely no say in Cal's future at UK.

Reactions: catben
Truth hurts. But it’s still the truth.

I'm pissed more with Brainfart for giving any coach a damn blank check which is a lifetime contract. 8 years max. 4 years is best.

There has to be an out in there somewhere. Some way to void the contract.

He's not been a good Ambassador for years at this point. Ffs he talks sht about the fans upon whose backs the program was built. Without their support, he wouldn't have this job. He sure isn't concerned about winning, and I'd be surprised if that isn't mentioned somewhere in his contract. (Of course I was livid and surprised that anyone even TALKED about, much less gave anyone, a "lifetime" contract, but it is what it is.

Anyone got a copy of his contract?

They'd be paying $33 million whether he's coaching or not, so that's not the issue. The issue is they don't want to pay him his yearly salary AND pay a new coach their yearly salary. It's all about money. UK admins do not care about win totals, tournament results. It's all about how many butts are in Rupp Arena, buying merchandise or donating to the school. Nothing else matters to them.
I would cut his yearly salary and pay him on performance!!

Reactions: NociHTTP
Barnhart’s in deep thought trying to figure it out.

5jFqza.gif

Too many wealthy blue hairs who will stay the course.
No, not all of the "blue hairs".
My aunt was one of those. She had contributed to all the right funds, had season tickets, etc. Until she passed away at 95, she couldn't stand Cal and wanted him gone after the 38-1 season. She was normally a nice Christian lady, but bring up that season and his lack of coaching and she would go off. I've been to some alumni meeting with her and she was brutal. A lot of others were like her, too. You would be surprised.

EDIT:
Thanks goes out to @bbncal02 for pointing out a mistake in the above post. It wasn't the after the 38-1 season that my aunt got upset at Cal over (though she was as upset as we all were at having lost that game), but the 9-16 season! I had been thinking about the 38-1 season and what could have been, if it would have changed things and walking around in a sad and depressed state of mind at the time I was reading and writing that post. So thanks to you @bbncal02. I would have never caught that and it would have made me look like an idiot.

Last edited:
No, not all of the "blue hairs".
My aunt was one of those. She had contributed to all the right funds, had season tickets, etc. Until she passed away at 95, she couldn't stand Cal and wanted him gone after the 38-1 season. She was normally a nice Christian lady, but bring up that season and his lack of coaching and she would go off. I've been to some alumni meeting with her and she was brutal. A lot of others were like her, too. You would be surprised.
Now, see, that's a little too crazy. Had we fired Cal after 38-1, man, that would've made BBN look really bad. And then we don't get Fox, Monk, and Bam. And man I love that team.

But I understand her frustration. It should've been after 9-16.

Heard this morning that UK dosen't have to pay him a lump sum, but can be paid out over the length of the contract.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
What is your point exactly? What compelled you to post this?

I have long defended Cal, and still, I don’t think I wish to see him go, but I do want change. I would love it if Cal stayed on as head coach and oversaw recruiting and other aspects of the program like NIL development. I do think he needs to seriously consider bringing in some offensive and defensive minded coaches to teach, coach, and develop the players.

This would work. Cal would act as more of a GM and we would still see the benefits of recruiting (maybe better than ever since he can focus on that) and still get what we all want, which is a coach or two who work on strategy, sets, in game coaching, etc.

I see your claim and raise you Cal's huge bruised ego.
If he gets a good offer he will be gone.
And my goodness, if he's gone I don't want to EVER, EVER, EVER hear about recruiting classes and camps again on here. Ever. I want a coach who is soley about the university, and who's 100% interested in teaching offense, defense and grit. Enough of this father-figure, sugar-daddy bullshit.

I have long defended Cal, and still, I don’t think I wish to see him go, but I do want change. I would love it if Cal stayed on as head coach and oversaw recruiting and other aspects of the program like NIL development. I do think he needs to seriously consider bringing in some offensive and defensive minded coaches to teach, coach, and develop the players.

This would work. Cal would act as more of a GM and we would still see the benefits of recruiting (maybe better than ever since he can focus on that) and still get what we all want, which is a coach or two who work on strategy, sets, in game coaching, etc.
That would never work. Cal’s presence has ti be removed from the program entirely

If Rupp starts being empty a lot, Cal will be forced out.

At this point the people who would actively avoid Rupp as a means of ejecting Cal IF someone organized them far outmatches the number of people who wouldn’t. At this point it’s entirely down to whether people get organized.

Reactions: Fox2monk

Welch is one of the best offensive minds in basketball. We saw how that worked.

Time for Cal to go. No more.

If Rupp starts being empty a lot, Cal will be forced out.

At this point the people who would actively avoid Rupp as a means of ejecting Cal IF someone organized them far outmatches the number of people who wouldn’t. At this point it’s entirely down to whether people get organized.
Exactly, if people don’t travel and don’t show up to any games. That’s what it will take. I hate to say it but don’t go to Football either, make it more profitable for them to find that money somehow.

• Love
Reactions: BlueSince92
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT