ADVERTISEMENT

BRITISH Open golf thread

cawoodsct

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2006
82/15
It's not THE OPEN and don't ever say it is here in the states. You say British. Thanks.

Tiger playing this week with Stricker and Lingmerth 8:10am on Thursday. No clue what to expect but id lean towards more of the same. I was dead wrong on the US Open but at St. Andrews surely the dude can play respectable.

Good golfing gambol game=Las Vegas. Two players against another two.
If you want real high stakes you bet a $1, but i suggest a Quarter or a Dime.

On a par four you and your partner get a 4 and a 5..thats 45(you always take lower score unless you flip with a bird)..other two guys make a 5 and a 6..thats 56. $11 dollars just exchanged hands, or with a quarter $2.75, and with a dime it's $1.10 exchanged.

On birdies you get to flip the score. So on a par three you get a 2 and 3 and other team gets a 3 and 5 that makes you 23 to them 53. Playing for a dollar that's $30:scream:

My first handicap in today,been awhile since i carried one. It's easy breezy beautiful with the ghin app on the phone[thumb2]

<---- Team Beavis, Randall, '73, etc.

The name of the tournament IS "The Open Championship". You want to call it the British Open, I'm fine with that. That's usually what I call it too. But the one that ends on Father's Day isn't "The Open"...that's where I have a problem. If you're referring to "The Open", it's the British, not the U.S.

Reactions: Beavis606
3 predictions for the British Open or the The Open or whatever you want to call it.

1. Jordan Spieth makes a run at 3 in a row but fall short and finishes top 10.

2. Sort of agree with Cawood. Tiger plays well enough to make the cut but never in contention.

3. Winner will be a member of the 2014 Euro Ryder cup team. Probably one of these 3- Stenson, McIlroy or Rose.

Didn't really go out on a limb.

3 predictions for the British Open or the The Open or whatever you want to call it.

1. Jordan Spieth makes a run at 3 in a row but fall short and finishes top 10.

2. Sort of agree with Cawood. Tiger plays well enough to make the cut but never in contention.

3. Winner will be a member of the 2014 Euro Ryder cup team. Probably one of these 3- Stenson, McIlroy or Rose.

Didn't really go out on a limb.
Can you confirm these predictions @Festivus Miracle ?

I predicted McIlroy to win this before the PGA Tour season started. It will be him but i do like DJ to come back and possibly hoist the jug. DJ can destroy this course.

And umm, no, Speith will not win the grand slam.

<---- Team Beavis, Randall, '73, etc.

The name of the tournament IS "The Open Championship". You want to call it the British Open, I'm fine with that. That's usually what I call it too. But the one that ends on Father's Day isn't "The Open"...that's where I have a problem. If you're referring to "The Open", it's the British, not the U.S.
Don't bring the US Open into this, we are discussing the British.

Does Sergio have a chance on this course at all? I hope not, but I'm worried that if he ever gets a major, it may be this one.
He will get one somewhere, someday and im at the stage now where im cool with it. I would say it would be a good course for Sergio.

^Sure enough just looked it up Top 20 on Old Course in 2000, T-5 in 2005, and T-14 in 2010. FIGJAM!

Don't bring the US Open into this, we are discussing the British.
The point being that the official name of the US Open is "U.S. Open Championship" while the official name of the British Open is "The Open Championship".
On tv they have to for contractual reasons call the tournament its official name...for discussion on a message board you can call it whatever you want.

The point being that the official name of the US Open is "U.S. Open Championship" while the official name of the British Open is "The Open Championship".
On tv they have to for contractual reasons call the tournament its official name...for discussion on a message board you can call it whatever you want.
Thanks, fuzz. You have been very helpful to me this morning.

Yeah....just give us the first three numbers.

4TEmXkVlGAVJI01uI13z1hRaYj21fBVZ85ml2gMg0Tc=w640-h480-no

[jumpingsmile]

He's better than that number...have always thought handicaps are kinda bogus imo. But as long as everyone is playing by that system, I suppose it doesn't matter.

I actually made a mistake on the 82. On the app since i played from the second furthest tees i just chose the second one which turns out to be the 4th set of tees. Well that 66.8/126 actually should be a 70.1/133 which actually hurt me(i think, as im no handicap expert). Just a heads up to anyone who uses the app they don't just go right down the line from top to bottom on tees like i assumed.

Course ratings are stupid & wildly wrong/inconsistent, that's my main beef.
I wonder how often they are updated? Sometimes i look at handicap of holes and laugh how far off they are in my personal opinion of a hole.

5. How often is a course rated?

The USGA requires all authorized golf associations to periodically review the ratings of their courses and to revise them if necessary. The USGA has licensed the MGA to rate courses according to their guidelines. If your club is a member of the MGA, you are required to comply with the guidelines that the USGA has set down for the MGA to follow.

The MGA is required to re-rate a golf course within a 10-year period. All newly constructed golf courses often change due to their maturity. Therefore, the MGA rates these courses 2-3 times within the first 10 years to account for these changes.

If there have been any “significant changes” to your course, e.g., the size of the greens have changed, greenside or fairway bunkers have been added or removed, or a new set of tees have been added, your course may be in need of an adjustment. However, more than likely you are not in need of a full course rating. Many times the MGA can send out a representative to view the changes made on the course. These changes can then be entered into the USGA Course Rating software to calculate an updated course rating and slope rating.

6. How do the Course Rating and Slope numbers affect my Handicap Index?

To fully understand how course rating and slope numbers ultimately affect your Handicap Index, you must first understand how a Handicap Index is derived.

Using equitable stroke control (the maximum score you can take on a hole for posting purposes), a player takes his adjusted gross score and subtracts the course rating. Multiply that number by 113 (slope rating of a course of standard difficulty), and divide by the slope rating of the tees played. (Round to the nearest 10th).

Handicap differential= (Adjusted Gross Score - Course Rating) x 113 / Slope Rating

A player’s index is based on the best handicap differentials in a player’s scoring record. For example; if a player had 20 scores in his file, the best 10 handicap differentials would be used to calculate his USGA/MGA Handicap Index. These 10 differentials would be totaled and divided by the number of differentials used (10), multiplied by .96 and rounded to the nearest tenth.

It is important to remember that the course rating affects a player’s index much more than the slope number. Often, players focus too much on what the slope number is when it is the course rating number that drives the system. For example:

Course A
69.3/125
Player shoots 85
Handicap differential = 14.2 [(85-69.3) x 113/ 125]

Course B
71.1/117
Player shoots 85
Handicap differential = 13.4 [(85-71.1) x 113/117]

Some players feel that if their golf course’s slope number is too high, they will not be competitive when visiting another club. This is not necessarily true. The above example shows the significance the course rating has on a player’s handicap differential compared to the slope number.

Reactions: ymmot31
It's that damned common core math I tell you.

I just go play and try to have. I hope to stay in double digits for the round. If I play bogey golf on the day I go home really happy.

Course ratings are stupid & wildly wrong/inconsistent, that's my main beef.

As Example A, I submit the blue tees at Champions v. the member tees I think (black ones) at Keene Trace, now joined at the hip by merger. Champions is 133 slope and Keene is 132, and yet anyone that has ever played both will tell you Champions is 4 or 5 shots harder, not even comparable. Have no idea how they came up with those numbers.

Champions is a sweet track. My favorite around Lexington that i have played. Greenbrier would be 2nd.

Tiger interview from today. Hope this works for you. Apparently, Ranger Rick hit all of his fairways and all of his greens in his first 9 in his pro-am today, and played with Beshear

<iframe src='http://player.theplatform.com/p/BxmELC/gc_embedplayer/select/_F0suH5jZvL7?parentUrl=http://www.golfchannel.com/media/tiger-gotta-make-birdies-greenbrier/&params=mbr=true&zone=media_golfcentral&originalReferrer=http://www.golfchannel.com/&#playerurl=http://www.golfchannel.com/media/tiger-gotta-make-birdies-greenbrier/' height='380' width='560' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' marginheight='0' marginwidth='0' style='border:0;padding:0;margin:0' allowfullscreen='true'></iframe>

Woods’ manager, Mark Steinberg, said in an email to GolfChannel.com: “The report is categorically false. Absolutely zero truth to that ridiculous rumor.”

So, my last round i was playing from the white tees at Boone's Trace National (formerly the Bull). I shot a 1 under 35 on the front and went to the 10th a par 5 and birdied it, was 12 feet from being 3 under on 11 but parred. Have to admit my mind was thinking about a really great round in the 60's even though it was from the white tees and about 6,000 yards or so. I am then -2 and 95 yards from the hole on #12, which is a solid spot to be, obviously. I proceed to bogey that hole and end up with a 77. Walk away from the round not even happy about it. So you are -2 and basically in the fairway on 12 from less than a hundo and end up playing 7 over from that spot.
md0532_img_18.jpg

Reactions: GrandePdre
He's just giving her a helping hand with her swing.

tiger%20and%20amanda_zpshlbg3orh.jpg

You are an artist, a doctor, a father, a husband, a softball player, a huntsman, a trivia buff, an epicurean, and an all around renaissance kind of guy. I love you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT