ADVERTISEMENT

BRITISH Open golf thread

Pretty much. Just like the other 25 or so 4 time major winners out of the THOUSANDS of professional golfers in history.

Got pretty lucky to get #2, wouldn't you say?

I've changed my stance I think he gets 5-6ish, as he's a special kind of player obviously, but I love how people just assume some of these guys are going to win 8-10 majors. Underestimating the difficulty and unlikelihood of winning a major is hilarious and I guess that's the Tiger syndrome a bit.

13 golfers ever have 6+
6 have 8+
3 have 10+

Anthonys735 is mean to all the special young American Gentleman: Rickie, Jordan, Justin, you name it, he's mean to all of them.

Therefore, please note my account that I hope Teejay ([eyeroll]) Van Garderen crashes and burns early for a smooth DNF.

My prediction is Mcilroy will get to double digits. Not anyone out there i can see besides him that can do it.

By the way its funny in watching Jack's 1978 British win the other night how they (Jim McKay, other broadcasters) were talking about it being his 17th major. Back when i grew up it was always talked about that Jack had 20 majors, until of course Tiger came along and won more amateurs than Jack (3,2). If that's not the reason it stopped (i dont really think it was) it was right around that time you started hearing 18 and not 20 majors for Jack any longer. If you count amateurs like that obviously it's 17-20 now.

I like The Open but it's not a big deal.

I think it's Rory in a route. Give me Oosthuizen as my none power 9 pick. Won last time, after the first day in the USO he crushed it. Boring pick though.

Im riding it out with McIlroy and DJ for British win. McIlroy was really playing some great golf late in the USO. My dark horse is Mr. Woods.

^We don't use that term anymore. Not PC.

I love the young Americans. Especially Ricky and Jordan. I just find it humorous when every young golfer is going to dominate and win 10 majors.

Read that WSJ article cawood posted on my twitter. Great reading.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
The British, fag.
cig6-620_1670312a.jpg

Reactions: cawoodsct
Just started "Slaying the Tiger"

Should be interesting. Pretty excited about this one.

So Jordan Spieth has basically won the first 2 Majors of the season in his second full season on Tour...The Masters and US Open no less...and he'll be lucky to get to 4 Majors total.

Basically the only golfers to do what he's done have the names Jones, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, and Woods.

Got it!

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
Spieth has played in The Masters twice. He's finished 2nd and 1st. He's played in the US Open 4 times, and finished T21 as the Low Amateur as an 18 YO, CUT as a 19YO, 17th as a 20YO, and won as a 21YO.

But he'll be lucky to get to 4 Majors.

:rolleyes:

Plus he is 5-6 years YOUNGER than Rory, who only has 4. But Rory can get 10, Jordan cannot. I mean 2 at 21, no way in hell he can have 4 at 26. That is only 5 years to get 2 more, it took him a year and a half to get 2. My math is not adding up, yes he can, and will.

If you always bet on players to win less majors than the general public predicts I imagine you would come out ahead.

I wouldn't bet against Spieth getting 4 but I'd take any and all bets on any current player getting to 10.

Tiger made it look easy, it isn't even for the truly special players like Spieth and McIlroy. I hope they both do it they both seem like good kids but odds are against them.

So, my last round i was playing from the white tees at Boone's Trace National (formerly the Bull). I shot a 1 under 35 on the front and went to the 10th a par 5 and birdied it, was 12 feet from being 3 under on 11 but parred. Have to admit my mind was thinking about a really great round in the 60's even though it was from the white tees and about 6,000 yards or so. I am then -2 and 95 yards from the hole on #12, which is a solid spot to be, obviously. I proceed to bogey that hole and end up with a 77. Walk away from the round not even happy about it. So you are -2 and basically in the fairway on 12 from less than a hundo and end up playing 7 over from that spot.
md0532_img_18.jpg

Yea you gagged yourself there....13 is a birdie hole, 14 is an easy par, 15 should have been par, 16 always hurts me, 17 should really be an easy par, and 18 should be no worse than bogey.

At worse a 73 when -2 from the 12 fairway. But it happens to all of us.

So Tiger has been banging Dufners ex? Didn't even know they were divorced.

McIlroy wins if he plays his best. His best is a notch above all of them right now, Jordan is a few years away from being that dominant to where he can dominate a course ala McIroy or tiger in his prime. Another gear they have. St Andrews sets up perfect for Rory and or Dustin Johnson. Hope Jordan wins. Dustin Johnson just does not have the tough gene or the ability to hit a big putt. Just not in him to make pressure putts. He has blown 3-4 majors by grounding his club and missing putts or spraying shots around on back nine ala British Open a few years back.
IMO

My prediction is Mcilroy will get to double digits. Not anyone out there i can see besides him that can do it.

LOL.....you still refuse to acknowledge Spieth's exceptional play, that he has his first two majors at a younger age than Tiger, and that he will probably be one of the top 5 golfers in the world for another 10+ years. It scares you, to be frank, and your quote that no one else can get to 10 majors is asinine, especially for someone who claims to be a golf aficionado.

LOL.....you still refuse to acknowledge Spieth's exceptional play, that he has his first two majors at a younger age than Tiger, and that he will probably be one of the top 5 golfers in the world for another 10+ years. It scares you, to be frank, and your quote that no one else can get to 10 majors is asinine, especially for someone who claims to be a golf aficionado.
I never have personally claimed to being a golf aficionado but i appreciate you thinking that and bringing it up. Means you pay attention around here.

I've refused to acknowledge Spieth's exceptional play? Pull up past threads and I was the first guy to say write his name down in this thread. I did that as far back to his college days when he was making PGA Tour cuts(and trying to tie Woods in US Amateurs) and you had never even heard of him. I said he was special then.

Right at this moment, I have two and only two guys that i see having any type of chance at double digit majors, Spieth and Mcilroy. I think McIlroy will reach double digits and Spieth will not. Sorry I don't have Spieth winning 15-20 since he's on Jack's pace right now. Good lord get his nuts off your chin.

And the only thing that scares me is more posts from buttholecole in the golf thread. Stick to riding 9 holes and croquet, your specialties.

Confidence building week for Big Cat this week. 3 rounds in the 60's and his first bogey free round in 56 rounds today.

--Hard for me to pull for a louie-villain who went to bammer and wears pink pants.

--How is bryce molder's caddie 500 pounds when he walks 9 miles a day with a 60-pound bag strapped to his back?

--At least k-gar's k-town buddy scott stallings isn't going to win. He usually smokes this course.

--only 1 Euro in the top 15 = :angry:

:golf:

Reactions: TCPUKChamps
I'm not giving Rory a hard time. A guy in his mid-twenties should be able to play sports with his buddies. It's not like he was going to Navy SEAL training like Tiger.

If he can't make the cut at St. Andrew's just go ahead and shut down the season. I think he does.

That Reebok pullover was a quality item. I dont even think they sponsored him at the time- like he bought it at Allied Sporting Goods a day before he got on the plane.

Reactions: I need this
ADVERTISEMENT