ADVERTISEMENT

Briscoe and Ullis will be a better backcourt then the Harrison twins

Not exactly a controversial statement. Hell, it often looked like our backup backcourt (Booker and Ulis) was better than the twins last season. I fully expect this year's backcourt play to be even better than last year, but the far bigger question is the frontcourt....

Last edited:
Reactions: Uk1111
I think this is right, but my only hesitation is chemistry. The twins had chemistry going into and coming out of high school. If tyler and murray/briscoe can get the chemistry thing going, then there is no doubt in my mind that the back court will be better.

I think this is right, but my only hesitation is chemistry. The twins had chemistry going into and coming out of high school. If tyler and murray/briscoe can get the chemistry thing going, then there is no doubt in my mind that the back court will be better.

Exactly.

It's all about chemistry.

The sky is definitely the limit for Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray.

If they mesh, then that's the best backcourt in college.

When they accomplish what the twins were a part of at UK then the answer will be provided. I do think UK will have an outstanding group of guards this year and this team will be very exciting. I see no reason another final four run can not be obtained.

not hard to fathom. booker and tyler were better than the twins last year. for the most part the twins were a bust. didnt live up to the hype.

Exactly.

It's all about chemistry.

The sky is definitely the limit for Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray.

If they mesh, then that's the best backcourt in college.
To be honest the twins downfall may have been too much chemistry. Many times the last two years when things got tight it was the Andrew and Aaron passing clinic between one another.

Reactions: stenchymouse
I have nothing against the twins but there were many times when we waited too long to start the offense and often had to take a last second shot. I don't know if the twins were wholly to blame but it seemed like it happened quite a bit whenever they were both in there.

Briscoe plays up tight and may cause some foul issues.

That may be so, but Matthews and Mulder are both touted as good defenders and can come off the bench, heck, even Hawkins could come provide defense and energy. Plenty of options and potentially examples for Briscoe to learn from if that's the case.

I'm as big of a UK fan as anybody and not to piss anybody off but I'm about to be real. Of course Ulis, Briscoe, and/or Murray will be a better backcourt than the Harrisons. The Harrisons were good, but they weren't as good as they were supposed to be. They were pretty good college players, but they did not live up to the hype. If they did they'd been drafted top 20. Hell we were expecting Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evens type players. Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray are going to be unbelievable. Totally different type players, with different styles from the twins. Again. I liked the twins, but they weren't as good as I expected them to be. Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray will be a much better backcourt.

Reactions: jrpross
First off. Jamal Murray will be better than all four of those guards, and it won't even be close. Secondly, How many backcourts in the history of basketball have made it to back to back final fours...I bet its a pretty short list. Why does one of the backcourts have to be better than the other, why can't they both be great? With all of that said, I think that Ulis, Murray, Briscoe, Matthews and Mulder will be the best in the country this year, and one of the greatest ever. Just so much versatility...the ball skills of the three pgs, the passing of those guards plus Matthews...also, the shooting of Ulis, Briscoe, Mulder and Murray is very elite for four players. This a a very complete backcourt and i'll enjoy watching Cal piece them together.

Reactions: Mike-D and brianpoe
I wouldn't be surprised by that. Let's face it the twins just never quite lived up to their hype coming out of HS. I remember the day they announced for UK. This place celebrated wildly with expectations both would be superstars. Not quite though they both certainly had their moments. Ulis is a known quantity, but Briscoe isn't. Sure looks to have the potential to be great, but so did the twins. I'll wait until we see him on the court to decide. Of course now we have Murray as well so let's hope one of Cal's problems is how to get all 3 of those guys enough PT.

If they are better than the twins, we are in for another fun season. I think the guard rotation as a whole will be better than last season. Ulis, Briscoe, Mulder, Murray, and Matthews will be very athletic on both offense and defense. They should be able to wreak havoc on defense and pester the opposing guards. On offense, They should be able to get into the lane at will leading to running jumpers, lobs to the bigs, or kick outs to open shooters. It should be a fun back court to watch.

First off. Jamal Murray will be better than all four of those guards, and it won't even be close. Secondly, How many backcourts in the history of basketball have made it to back to back final fours...I bet its a pretty short list. Why does one of the backcourts have to be better than the other, why can't they both be great? With all of that said, I think that Ulis, Murray, Briscoe, Matthews and Mulder will be the best in the country this year, and one of the greatest ever. Just so much versatility...the ball skills of the three pgs, the passing of those guards plus Matthews...also, the shooting of Ulis, Briscoe, Mulder and Murray is very elite for four players. This a a very complete backcourt and i'll enjoy watching Cal piece them together.

Maybe the others, but not Ulis. The fact that you say "it won't even be close" shows your ignorance. Ulis may very well be the best point guard in the country next season. I expect him to be an All-American.

Briscoe is talented, but I am doubtful that he will be a better college player, as a freshman, than either Aaron or Andrew were as sophomores. Those 2 did so much more for this team than many give them credit for.

I expect our combination of guards to be as good or better than last year. And that's saying a lot, considering our guards last year helped us win 38 straight games.

Those guys last year played at another level. I honestly might be expecting a bit much of next year's guards to anticipate them eventually eclipsing our 14-15 bunch. I think all of us are a little guilty of unrealistic expectations at times. We have been spoiled.

Last edited:
Reactions: coolcat9lives
ADVERTISEMENT