ADVERTISEMENT

Briscoe and Ullis will be a better backcourt then the Harrison twins

2 final fours

Yeah, I'm not sure how the Twins were in any way a bust. For college players they did a good job. People want to have it both ways on here...they want to say the Twins were overrated and didn't get drafted high or at all, but they also want to say they were a bust in college...which is false. Their stats were pretty good for frosh and sophs at UK at their positions, and their team accomplishments were as good as you can have minus a national title.

I can't see how they are not the best starting backcourt in the SEC.

LSU will be a strong second, but UK will be better, IMHO.

1G Ulis/Murray/Briscoe > Patterson/Gray
2G Briscoe/Mulder > Hornsby/Blakeney
3G Murray/Matthews > Blakeney/Quarterman

Exactly.

It's all about chemistry.

The sky is definitely the limit for Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray.

If they mesh, then that's the best backcourt in college.

You could make the argument that the Twins boost in chemistry with each other slightly hurt chemistry between them and the rest of the team. Now that they are gone, I hope people take off the blue tinted glasses and realize they really liked to pass to themselves. Not overly a lot, not even half the time. But I'd say a few times a game Andrew passed to Aaron (or vice versa) where it may have been a better move to get the ball to, say, James Young, Trey Lyles, or KAT. AGain, not a huge deal, and they won us a lot of games, but I think they could have distributed the ball a bit better.

There is nothing I've seen so far to believe Ulis and Briscoe won't have equal, if not better chemistry with the team. And if not, it certainly won't be because of Ulis, that kid is the closest thing we've had to MKG since.. MKG. He just wants to win. So this really comes down to Briscoe. I'm not worried until I see something that warrants worrying. It's fine until we see a problem.

Last edited:
I actually think it will do them good to be away from each other. To not go right to your brother, but instead to to rely on someone else.

If back to back Final Fours is a measure of a great player, then give credit to Lee, Hawkins, Willis, & Poy. Don't those four have back to back FF's also?
Really...we were actually talking about players who played the majority of minutes. And poythress had a torn ACL during the final four , pretty sure he wasn't even available to play smart guy.

Please don't try to equate. Wall and Bledsoe were the reason we got an elite eight. The twins were a major part of the FF's, but not the most important reason. Since it is a team effort, we would not have done it without them, but there were other guards in the NCAA last year that could have done this if we had had them for 2 years.
Please don't try to equate. Wall and Bledsoe were the reason we got an elite eight. The twins were a major part of the FF's, but not the most important reason. Since it is a team effort, we would not have done it without them, but there were other guards in the NCAA last year that could have done this if we had had them for 2 years.
I guess Cousins, Patterson, Orton, Liggins and Darius Miller weren't part of the reason...those five guys, yeah, they played in the nba.

Why are we comparing NBA careers when the 2nd group has yet to play 1 game? Dumb argument all around. It took the 2013 team took several near acts-of-god to get that Title appearance, while it took 2010 one of the most atrocious shooting nights, and an other worldly shooting performance from WVU, for them to lose.

Not exactly a controversial statement. Hell, it often looked like our backup backcourt (Booker and Ulis) was better than the twins last season. I fully expect this year's backcourt play to be even better than last year, but the far bigger question is the frontcourt....
The team game sped up with Ulis and Booker so we should be faster with the group that is coming in next season.

Agreed. Never have two players accomplished so much only to be dumped on by their fanbase. The way they were treated, and continue to be treated, is a real black eye for the BBN. These guys started every game and played major roles on one team that played in the National Championship game, and another team that went 38-1 and made the Final Four, yet they are viewed as "disappointments" by many. If you can't see how truly stupid that is, then you are beyond help.

Agreed. I disagree with the some people in regards to their NBA potential but they were awesome for UK. The results speak for themselves and the fact that so many of our fans are pissing on them is pretty messed up.

I don't get how it's bashing saying this group could be better. Nor do I see how it's bashing them to say they never lived up to the expectation one normally has for top 5 players, especially in what was supposed to be a loaded class. They werent bad players, they weren't amazing either. They were solid and were good enough to hold their own in most scenarios, but they were never the best or second best player on either of those teams.

the twins led

What the hell does this mean, LED? I think we had 10 pretty damn good players, so why are some of you giving the twins all the credit? Yes Aaron hit big shots at the end of some games to get us to a final four, but then just how did they dominate UCONN'S small guards that L-Ville had just beat by 40? The twins were average college players at best.

What the hell does this mean, LED? I think we had 10 pretty damn good players, so why are some of you giving the twins all the credit? Yes Aaron hit big shots at the end of some games to get us to a final four, but then just how did they dominate UCONN'S small guards that L-Ville had just beat by 40? The twins were average college players at best.

Never known anyone who gave the twins all the credit.

Average college players don't start on back to back Final Four teams. I mean, can you at least give them above average? [roll]

Never known anyone who gave the twins all the credit.

Average college players don't start on back to back Final Four teams. I mean, can you at least give them above average? [roll]

If you can give me just one area of the game, where either one of them dominated, or excelled at, then yes, I will.

The one thing people forget is that the Harrisons played with the 2 most talented teams in the Cal era from top to bottom. So to give them the credit for all the success the last couple of seasons isn't correct. However, a lot of people do not give them the credit they deserve. They were the starting backcourt on 2 different final four teams, and basically the main links between those teams. They were really good, and made plays both years that helped to get us there, but they didn't put the team on their backs either year. The weren't superstars, but they weren't average college guards either. Having said all of that, next year's backcourt has the potential to be a lot better than that. They have the chance to be extraordinary, as you have 3 guards who can all handle the ball, pass really well, and they can all shoot. Ulis being more of a pass first point guard should help the chemistry immensely, Murray is very good at playing off the ball, and only Briscoe is more of a ball dominating guard, and he isn't bad. I suspect that people will be surprised by how physical Murray will be, and this should on paper at least, be the highest scoring team of the Cal era.

Yes, the Harrison twins went to two final fours. Were they the best players on either team? Absolutely not. They fall in the middle to me. Seem like good kids but definitely not great players. This backcourt should be a little better. And that's nothing against them as I appreciate everything they've done for the university.

If we had won two more games last year all this bashing of the Harrisons would not exist. They were fine players and a great addition to the lore that is UK basketball. Glad they were here and wish them all the best in the NBA and life after basketball.

Reactions: anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
If we had won two more games last year all this bashing of the Harrisons would not exist. They were fine players and a great addition to the lore that is UK basketball. Glad they were here and wish them all the best in the NBA and life after basketball.

Sorry, but I do not see bashing the twins. What I see is some posters actually looking at them with open eyes and not blue goggles. It is a debate between some on here that credit our success the last two years to the twins, others see them as average to good college players. 2013/2014 our regular season sucked, do they get the blame for all those losses? Absolutely not! But, if you are going to give them credit for leading us to final fours, then you HAVE to hold them accountable for all the losses as well. It is a team sport, they win and lose as a team. The twins led us to absolutely nothing. They simply were part of two UK teams that made two final fours.

Sorry, but I do not see bashing the twins. What I see is some posters actually looking at them with open eyes and not blue goggles. It is a debate between some on here that credit our success the last two years to the twins, others see them as average to good college players. 2013/2014 our regular season sucked, do they get the blame for all those losses? Absolutely not! But, if you are going to give them credit for leading us to final fours, then you HAVE to hold them accountable for all the losses as well. It is a team sport, they win and lose as a team. The twins led us to absolutely nothing. They simply were part of two UK teams that made two final fours.
Last I looked there were more than 2 players on the team and yes I take some of the comments as "bashing" which is my opinion.

So guys like Dan Issel led us to absolutely nothing, right?

I don't get how it's bashing saying this group could be better. Nor do I see how it's bashing them to say they never lived up to the expectation one normally has for top 5 players, especially in what was supposed to be a loaded class. They werent bad players, they weren't amazing either. They were solid and were good enough to hold their own in most scenarios, but they were never the best or second best player on either of those teams.

Eloquently put Hoskins. They were solid, yet not great. Now they had their moments, Aaron for example was F***ing AMAZINGLY GREAT, UNBELIEVABLE, I JUST CRAPPED MY PANTS AND RAN AROUND MY HOUSE FOR TEN MINUTES great on two occasions in the tournament. Aaron was also clutch in numerous other tournament moments. Andrew had his moments as well. But they weren't all americans guards. They were far from busts however.

To me we might need an all american guard performance to be a great team this year, maybe I'm wrong. Irregardless I think we get an first or second team all american guard out of Murray or Ullis so...

I loved Aaron and Andrew. Aaron's 3's in the Michigan and Wisconsin games were borderline magical. But there were times where they frustrated me beyond words. These new fellas will have very different skill sets and different flaws. It's not bashing to say another backcourt could be better than them. Nor is it logical to say that guards that go to the final 4 are superior to guards that go to the elite 8. A lot has to do with the teams.

Bottom line.....the Harrison's were good (not great) college players that I will always remember fondly. But I wouldn't be surprised if Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray gave teams more trouble than the Harrison's did. We'll find out soon enough.

How many championships did Big Dan lead us to? Again, he was part of a team.

That was my point, I just wondered if you thought the same way about the leading scorer in Kentucky history since he didn't win a title.

If you're talking about pure point guard skills, then Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray have the edge on the Harrison's, but the Harrison's have the edge over those three on size and stength as well as D. Although they didn't have the greatest careers at UK, there's a reason that the twins were rated so high coming out of HS. It's all about how you look at the situation.

For what its worth, I feel that we will have the best back court in the nation next season, hands down.

ADVERTISEMENT